(Close Window)
Topic: Washing RNT Mendoza Cups
Have any of you that own a set of these washed them? Will getting water on the inside of a Mendoza cup be a bad thing? I am concerned about water getting trapped between the 2 cups and damaging the metal on the inside of the cup.

Thanks,
Fran
I don't think it will be a problem; however, I would wait until Epiphany has a chance to chime in.
I would be more afraid of the water creeping into the gaffus and ruining it somehow.
I think that's what Fran means.
[quote]
On 2008-11-02 19:00, MagicByUriel wrote:
I would be more afraid of the water creeping into the gaffus and ruining it somehow.
[/quote]

Not just the gaffus as all three cups are constructed identically--look inside the mouth of the cup at the top bead. You'll see my area of concern.
Right. I forgot about that. I don't think you will have any trouble as long as the cups have not been dropped. Still I think Epiphany may have something to offer on this.
Not dropped...yet. I would just hate for some H2O to get trapped between there and do its worst over the ensuing weeks. Thanks for the help, so far.

BTW, MagicByUriel, cool signature.
Washing the cups should not be a problem for the inside or out. However, I would not suggest that you use degreasing agents or the like on the insides without making sure you rinse them extremely well.

Should you submerge the cups, simply let them dry mouth down, this will allow any excess water that might have gotten trapped to drain out.

I hope this help Fran.

Sincerely,
Epiphany Jean
[quote]
On 2008-11-02 20:50, fmpilot wrote:
BTW, MagicByUriel, cool signature.
[/quote]

Thanks, it actually happened. :)
Thanks, Epiphany Jean. I was planning on washing them and then using some Flitz (your Dad's recommendation) to polish the insides. Letting them dry mouth down makes perfect sense as in if the water could get in it should be able to get out. I just wanted to make sure that water could not get trapped in there.

By the way sent you a PM on another topic...
One neat trick, if you have concerns about this, is to take the corner of a paper towel and hold it next to the seam. The capillary action of the paper towel should attract any water that might have gone astray.
[quote]
On 2008-11-02 22:04, Bill Palmer wrote:
One neat trick, if you have concerns about this, is to take the corner of a paper towel and hold it next to the seam. The capillary action of the paper towel should attract any water that might have gone astray.
[/quote]

Very good idea Mr. Palmer. One thing my father would do and lil' Jake just reminded me of this, dad used to put them in the oven on Warm for about 15 minutes. I recommend oven mits, I think I need to mention that as I often see silly labling on packages.

Epiphany Jean
For those who may be interested, I finished these this evening. I'll try to do serveral productions, currently I ran 24 sets.

Have a peek :)

http://www.rnt2.com/product.aspx?productno=700

Epiphany Jean
[quote]
On 2008-11-03 05:19, Epiphany wrote:
For those who may be interested, I finished these this evening. I'll try to do serveral productions, currently I ran 24 sets.

Have a peek :)

http://www.rnt2.com/product.aspx?productno=700

Epiphany Jean

[/quote]

How are the weights for these?
The aluminum set weighs approximately 4.6 oz per cup.

Epiphany Jean
Those are some nice cups, Epiphany! Thanks for the tip about the oven. I'll do that after using Bill's paper towel idea.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Fran
Those are neat looking sets!
A lot easier to spin than copper too :)