(Close Window)
Topic: Tales from the street
Several months ago Kozmo contacted me and asked if I might be interested in interviewing him for a video about performing magic on the street to make a living.

I thought it was an interesting and really untapped angle. Kozmo is probably the most successful street magicians you've never heard of. A lot of people know him from his successful DVD business, but not many know that he is one of the top earning street magicians performing in the US. The seed money for that DVD company came from busking, and Kozmo will be the first to tell you, he's a busker.

Koz doesn't spend a ton of time on the Internet so his reputation as a street performer is well known among others who perform magic on the street, but not so much in the on line community.

This DVD explains step by step in an incredibly easy to understand format how to take a few tricks you all ready do well and create a 10 minute street act that will earn you money. It doesn't matter what tricks you do, as long as you do them well. Kozmo's method will get you started on the right foot.

This is NOT a get rich quick scheme. You are going to have to work, but by approaching the work using lessons learned the hard way by a guy who has been there and done that the learning curve will be much shorter.

I have just seen the first DVD in the two disk set which is the interview portion and it blew me away. Using a lot of questions that were asked by you on the Internet Kozmo and I cover the nuts and bolts of what it takes to make it work. No BS, just the facts ma'am.

Using demonstrations from clips of Kozmo's act all the founding principals of putting together a successful magic act on the street are covered.

Unlike The Art of Street Performing which was about street performing in general this DVD set focuses ONLY on magic on the street. If you are a guy who wants to get started or even a guy who has been around for a while but would like to make more money this DVD will put you on the right path. I'm pretty proud of the work that was put into this and I know Kozmo is as well.

The second DVD breaks down Kozmo's act which is one of the most original magic acts now being performed on the street. I have not yet seen that DVD but I am looking forward to it.

Pre sales will be starting soon and I HIGHLY recommend this two disk set to anybody that wants to go out there and give this thing a try.

Soon to be available at: http://kozmomagic.com/

Best,

Dan-
Sounds interesting...How much is it? I didn't see anything about it on his site.

There are lots of books about street performing but I can't recall any video specifically made for performing magic except Cellini's. How does it compare?

You guys should come out to Boulder next Summer...We're still filming a buskers movie...but it has nothing to do with instruction
Tales from the streets is now available pre-order at

http://www.kozmomagic.com

$60.00

koz
Kozmo lectured last night in NJ for our club. Great advice from somebody who definitely walks the walk. Great stuff......Kozmo - did you go the confessional after your performance? :)
Thanks for the thread Dan. I've been waiting for a Koz DVD for a while, and to have Koz and you... FANTASTIC!

Tony
Kozmo, I will purchase it from you at The Motor City Close-Up Convention this month in Taylor, MI http://www.johnlukamagic.com/
Tedski, did I go too far LOL

koz
My order is in.
Cannot WAIT for this one! Very excited!
I will order mine this weekend at the Kutztown Convention.

George
Hey Koz,

Can't wait to see ya this weekend at Kutztown.
Count on me for a set of those DVD's. Also am looking forward to your lecture down my way in December.

See you Saturday//// You too George
This is THE DVD I have been lookin for...

Koz, can't wait!
Sounds great for the magic guys doin the street

Look forward to seeing & reviewing it!!!

Beats pitching decks!!
Fellow compeers,
I had the pleasure of spending time with Koz in St.Louis this past summer and watched him "kill" lay audience in the bar.

He is truly a "real worker" in the "real world". He seldom performs for magicians and that's why you may not have heard of him...as of yet. But the pros are lining up to get their hands on his DVD's.

I pre-ordered mine last week.
I had the opportunity to watch Koz perform in Burlington Vermont a couple months ago. It was a lot of fun to see him gather and build an audience and then entertain them, ( and collect money) He has some really clever ideas. He mentioned to me that he was working on a DVD project and It sounded like a must have. He has a great version of a signed folded card to box /can/container that I wish he kept under wraps. Oh well. I doubt anyone will be disappointed purchasing this dvd set.

Joe H
All pre-orders have been shipped on the "Tales" DVD set...

koz
Just bought this from [url=http://www.misdirections.com]Misdirections[/url] and finished watching the 1st disk.

I've gotta say, we are going to be seeing [i]A Lot[/i] more good shows on the streets if people listen to what Koz And Mr. Hustle are talking about here.

What a [i]fantastic[/i] resource for greenhorn and sophomore street performer alike!
I've watched disc 1 so far. Great!
You can see my review here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=284569&forum=6&28
I went to Gaddy's link to Misdirections shop and looked around. And around. I am astounded at their great range of stock. Far too much for me to read through in 1/4 hour. I've listed it as a Favourite for easy re-finding.
Misdirections is great. They had Koz's DVD the day it was released. I think they carry ALL of his stuff.
Oh, you guys with your money for buying things. You make me jealous. I will continue to learn the hard way.
I finally got a chance to watch the finished copy of this DVD last night and to be honest...I'm pretty proud of it. It's all there, and Kozmo breaks it down using his act. The real brilliance is he used footage from shows that were tough shows. Because they were tough shows you can actually see the 'work'. The stuff on crowd control as well as the visualization of it right down to moving one or two people to keep an entire audience in check is now understandable to anyone.

I used to try and explain this junk to people and their eyes would kind of glaze over and you could see that they thought I had drifted into some zen, surfer, B.S., rant. Between Kozmo and I and the footage from his show I think this stuff is finally accessible to anyone. I was really blown away by the final cut. IMHO if you want to perform a sidewalk act on the street this is the most important work ever produced on the subject.

A lot of people do not understand that crowd control with a sidewalk act is just as important if not MORE IMPORTANT than controlling a circle show. It's all there man, the whole deal. I just hope the people who need it buy it. This information is just as important to the guy who may have been floundering for a couple of years trying to make it click as it is to the guy brand new to the street.

This thing is just so focused, even the second DVD that describes Kozmo's act reiterates all of the management aspects again. Layered, layered, layered. There is a reason for everything in Kozmo's act. Kozmo took the old, "I'm your real father" line and turned it into an entire presentation for his card to cup routine. He takes the opportunity of a bill being burned to get a laugh out of pulling his table back. There is nothing wasted, every opportunity is taken, and it is a show that tells Kozmo's story.

A smart performer would watch this second DVD and listen to all of the WHYS Kozmo explains and use them to apply to material he/she is all ready working on. All of this stuff is transferable to material you may all ready may be doing. The thing is most new guys never think about this stuff. A lot of the stuff on these DVDs has not been talked about before, and a lot of this stuff is what makes up a lot of the common mistakes we see a lot of guys making.

I wish this DVD set were available when I was starting out. There is a lot of ground covered and it is a set you will watch again and again. You might even want to watch it with a notebook handy.

Powerful stuff!

Best,

Dan-
I just got my copy. Ended up staying home for a long lunch and sat through Vol. 1.

Great stuff! You guys did a marvelous job.

All or most of this would apply to things like trade show work, as well.
I just want to point out that on disc one, there is not a play all.....it's in 2 sections, table talk and the interview...make sure you watch both sections, as I think there is really important information in both segments....

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.
koz
Yeah, I noticed that. I only had time for part one. I'll be watching the interview and Vol. 2 today.
I'm glad you noticed....
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 13:19, tedb wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, fellas.
koz
[/quote]
No, we should be thanking you and Danny for putting this together for us.
So, just had a chance to finally write down my 2 cents on what I thought of the DVD. Since Danny gave a lot of what I was going to say, I'll keep mine short.

The uniqueness of the set is the fact that not only does Danny ask questions and Kozmo gives answers, he shows examples of the answers via what he does in his show. As Danny says, Kozmo breaks down his entire act into 5 key areas, then proceeds to talk with Danny, and then shows how he does each step. There is no Mysticism in what is being said, No Double Speak...Just Plain Speak. You hear it, then see it in action, then get a recap. There are many A-HA Moments in these DVDs.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 = it sucks and 10 = out of this world...

Quality of the DVDs is 10. The picture and sound were clear, and there were no signs of editing at all.

Information is 9.5. There were a couple of things I would have like answered on charter building and how he chose his effects, but the information that was given out weighed the fact that this wasn't covered.

Teaching Effectiveness is 10. I wished all the DVDs told not only the what and the how, but also the whys.

Tricks are 10. To quote Danny...Yes, Virginia there is a "Busking Show in a Box". But why would you want to copy exactly how Kozmo does it? He gives you so much more.

Value for Your Money is 10+++!! The first DVD alone was worth the money paid. Folks, this is like getting a college education in how to perform magic on the streets. Even the outtakes are funny, as they were gave a lesson.

Thanks, Kozmo, and Thanks, Danny, for putting this together.

Ok, so I went a little longer than I thought.

George P
I recently interviewed Kozmo. You can read it here:

http://magic.about.com/b/2008/12/10/interview-with-kozmo.htm

-Wayne
Wayne,

I am A BIG fan of your work on Reel Magic Quarterly! Just GREAT stuff!

Best,

Dan-
Thank you, Danny. I'm looking forward to watching your interview with Kozmo.

-Wayne
WOW

I can wait for the Kozmo Lecture down my way this Saturday.
I'll be picking up his DVDs then.

See you Sat, Koz..
I enjoyed Kozmo's lecture last month. I wish I could see it again. He was also at the Magic Castle in November.
He claims to be coming to Boston soon for a lecture. You get a date yet, Kozmo?
Koz,
Just finished both DVDs last night. Great Stuff. You & Dan made a great team.
I already see a couple of areas that I need to change, like the shorter times.
Lots of really good, useful info on these 2 goldmines....extremely well worth every penny. Let us know when you're coming to the Va/Dc/MD area.....
Bill
I'm lecturing in DC in February.

koz
Kozmo and Danny Hustle, congratulations on making the best instructional Street Performing DVD there is bar none.
Folks, if you get the chance, DO NOT miss Koz's lecture.

His lecture is the real deal... and what lectures SHOULD be...

Magic needs more people like him to give advice, tips, and real world info.

I have attended many lectures, and Koz's has given me more useful advice than any of them.

Kudos, Koz... you are a stand up guy and a wealth of info.
So Kozmo,

When are you coming to Boston?
January 27th, IBM 122, I think. :)
koz
Kozmo is correct. He will be lecturing for IBM Ring 122 on Tuesday, January 27th.
Koz,
Is that Ring 50 in DC????? Or, Denny's in Balt?????
Looking forward to that!!!
Bill
SAM 23
Kozmo,

Are you coming West anytime soon? Particularly, the Portland, Oregon, area?

-Brian
I would love to....I'm hoping to do a west coast swing in late February and early March...if you have a place for me to lecture, let me know....I would LOVE to go up your way.

koz
I'll try to hook you up in the SF/Sacro area if you want, Kozmo.
Call me.
But, Frank, what about me?
You can come too, DynaMike. Do you want to lecture, or are you here for the babes?
Hey, Koz, where is the trailer? I want to buy the DVD, but need that tease to throw me over the line... I look everyday for the trailer and was wishing I would have seen one by now...

Shawn
Shawn,
Believe me when I tell you that for this set of DVDs, you won't need a trailer. This is one of the best set of DVDs out on Street Magic....after watching both discs, I've already made a couple of changes that I know will make a big difference in hats..
Thanks, Koz & Danny!!!
Good to hear, Bwarren... I guess I should just pick it up.
Shawn,

I don't think you will be disappointed. Tales From The Street is great!
[quote]
On 2008-12-20 02:16, Frank Starsini wrote:
You can come too, DynaMike. Do you want to lecture, or are you here for the babes?
[/quote]
No comments. ;)
I have only worked the street venue for a copy of years, and only part-time at that. I have made it a hobby, though, to collect as many DVDs and books on the practice of street performing. My first question was, "Koz would do a set of DVDs after doing the Cellini trilogy? What more could be said?"

Well, to my pleasant surprise - plenty. Correct me if I am wrong, but nowhere can I remember reading or listening to advice about transitioning from one effect to another without encouraging applause. In fact, I can only remember what to say when they don't applaud! The more noise they make, the bigger the crowd. Right? I have to agree with Koz, though...encouraging applause often results in people walking away. I have seen this myself, embarrassingly after my first effect. I find myself saying, "Wait, you'll miss the best part of the show!"

Thanks, Koz and Danny. Well done.
Gazzo will also stop the applause, usually after the six oranges and before the melon reveal. "Wait, wait, not yet..... NOW!"
[quote]
On 2008-12-21 11:00, Wayne Whiting wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for all the kind words Wayne
[quote]
On 2008-12-21 11:00, Wayne Whiting wrote:

Well, to my pleasant surprise - plenty. Correct me if I am wrong, but nowhere can I remember reading or listening to advice about transitioning from one effect to another without encouraging applause. In fact, I can only remember what to say when they don't applaud! The more noise they make, the bigger the crowd. Right? I have to agree with Koz, though...encouraging applause often results in people walking away. I have seen this myself, embarrassingly after my first effect. I find myself saying, "Wait, you'll miss the best part of the show!"

[/quote]

this was an eye opener for me too. I am doing the street in europe now almost 20 years. in my first show there was no problem but in my western show I had that problem. after the child takes out the egg form the bag people applaud and leave.

kozmo, I have tried it now with-out the applause and it is better.

no matter what you can always learn from somebody. this dvd is well spend for me.

thanks kozmo & danny
I was able to plug Kozmo's spongeball ending right onto the end of my new spongeball routine.
It's a lot of fun to perform and great reactions.
[quote]
On 2008-12-29 04:54, Frank Starsini wrote:
I was able to plug Kozmo's spongeball ending right onto the end of my new spongeball routine.
It's a lot of fun to perform and great reactions.
[/quote]

I agree Frank. I have to say, I was pretty blown away by Kozmo's act. It is one of the most original street acts out there. It is nice to see somebody who is not 'doing' a Gazzo or a Sonny Holiday.

It is also really cool to see an act on the street that is so layered, some of the things like the card and cup for example are just layer upon layer of things going on. I also loved the way that he took the "I'm your real father" gag and turned it into a premise for the routine. That line I believe is from Gazzo's book "read between the one lines" (A GREAT BOOK IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR LINES!).

It's a great street act.

Best,

Dan-
Really enjoyed the discs,,,ok a lot of it would not be siuted to the UK slant but the thinking behind it would.

The plums for me were the multi sponge hat load and the out takes which I thought were hilarious.Laughed so much the tears ran down my leg !!!

Excellant,,,

Ken.
It really does look like a baby's forearm holding an apple. :)
I ordered the DVD the other day and am waiting delivery. I can't wait to learn from these!! C'mon mail carrier....
I knew that this one would be great, but I was blown away by what I discovered. As I mention in my review, the approach on this DVD is unprecedented.

http://magic.about.com/od/professionalmagicians/fr/011109street.htm

Danny, fantastic job with the interview and commentary. I know how hard it is to do great work on camera and you made it look easy. Now, about that forearm holding an apple... =)

-Wayne
Thanks Wayne! That means a lot coming from you.

Best,

Dan-
Watched Disk One last evening just after I opened the box from Elmwood Magic. Great instructional DVD. I do a few street shows every summer and I know that the information that Koz has shared will definitely help me improve my show and draw and keep my crowds. Thanks Koz and Danny for a job well done.
This was without a doubt, my best selling DVD of 2008.
Congrats Koz.
Got 'em.....LOVE 'EM!
[quote]
On 2009-01-23 14:34, Gensheimer wrote:
Watched Disk One last evening just after I opened the box from Elmwood Magic. Great instructional DVD. I do a few street shows every summer and I know that the information that Koz has shared will definitely help me improve my show and draw and keep my crowds. Thanks Koz and Danny for a job well done.
[/quote]

Thanks man, I'm really glad everybody is digging these. Koz and I really put a lot of effort into trying to make the information straight forward and accessible. Hopefully it will make the learning curve a little easier for those starting out.

Best,

Dan-
You know Danny, you look at lot better on video than you do in person, good makeup!

I would urge anyone who has a chance to get the video to do so and to get to a lecture as well. Actually, I would probably advise seeing the video, then going to the lecture. You will be able to see live (since he does the show before talking about things) the show and you can watch people react to it and see how the interaction with crowd really works. It's great to be able to ask questions too.

If what you are interested in is tricks, then pass on this DVD, and the lecture too. The tricks are good, and his handling is top-notch (I was watching for the loads in his chop cup routine and only saw one of the loads) but Kozmo and Danny talk about performing and entertaining, concentrating on the why of the effects and handling rather than on the how-to.
[quote]
On 2009-01-29 19:22, marty.sasaki wrote:
You know Danny, you look at lot better on video than you do in person, good makeup!
[/quote]

:wow:

Marty??????

Don't worry Dan, I think you look great. :shucks:
[quote]
On 2009-01-29 19:22, marty.sasaki wrote:

[/quote]

My wife says the same thing Marty! She says, "How come you look like Alec Baldwin on video, and come home looking like Rodney Dangerfield?!"

I'm tellin' ya', I get no respect!

It was great seeing you Marty!

Best,

Dan-
[quote]
On 2009-01-29 20:52, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Don't worry Dan, I think you look great. :shucks:
[/quote]

Thanks Tony, I appreciate it. :) I am also REALLY looking forward to seeing you do a stage set at the Mystery Lounge! I hear that is going to happen in a few weeks, is that true?

Best,

Dan-
Dan

I don't know. I have not heard anything yet.

Tony
Dan, you look cool everytime I see you.
I just got these from Bill Duncan to review for MUM.

I won't tip what the review I sent in early this morning says. I think most of it has already been said in this thread here.

This is an excellent set. It's worth far more than its price.

You guys did a fine job!
Just finished watching the Kozmo video,

Wow is all I have to say. A true perspective from the street level. Croud control, gathering an audience. I have a new found respect for the buskers of the land. I doubt I will ever have the skill to do this for a living, but it gives me something to strive for.

To anyone thinking of getting into busking, this is your video. An all in one package
I too love this dvd. It pretty much covers everything you need to know to do a short sidewalk act. The only thing I would have liked to see was a complete act, start to finish, uninterrupted. It's pretty much there, but in parts. My other question to Kozmo is, when did you get an Irish accent? It is clearly there in your performance segments. Not typical for an upstate New Yorker. Does it help the act?
I to be truthful don't understand the little accent that comes in and out of my act...it was never planned, it just happens so I cant tell you if it helps or not but I'm guessing it makes me more interesting....

I'm really happy you guys are getting stuff out of these dvd's

thanks
koz
Hey Koz,

This DVD is brilliant man. It's really good. Very honest too. That's what I like about it best.

The overdubbed commentary is really helpful to know what to look for, and the chapter "recap" with the street signs is a great learning tool too.

Very well produced...it really makes a difference in making this a teaching tool (as opposed to a video that just shows another worker).

Danny Hustle's addition to the DVD pushes this whole project from "great" to "all-time classic".

Honestly, I'd put this dvd up against the best of 'em in watch-ability, quality of production, and correct focus for the target audience.

Thanks for creating this.
Thanks chad....and you weren't going to buy them!

koz
Kozmo, are you planning to work on some more street busking DVDs? If so, I will purchase it.
[quote]
On 2009-02-08 17:02, Chad wrote:

Danny Hustle's addition to the DVD pushes this whole project from "great" to "all-time classic".

[/quote]

Thanks Chad. I'm really pleased that so many people are enjoying this set. Kozmo REALLY wanted to try and just put it all out there in an easy to get manner. The conversational aspect of it really just made a lot of sense to me. I'm glad it came out the way Kozmo thought it would. For a busker that Kozmo's a pretty smart dude. :)

Best,

Dan-
Commentary is great, wish more DVDs had this feature.
[quote]
On 2009-02-08 11:38, profgizmo wrote:
My other question to Kozmo is, when did you get an Irish accent? It is clearly there in your performance segments. Not typical for an upstate New Yorker. Does it help the act?
[/quote]

Actually you do hear this a lot. It's a North PA coal region accent.
Actually, Koz does remind ya of one of those Molly Maguires, lol

Todd
[quote]
On 2009-02-11 09:14, tedb wrote:
Thanks chad....and you weren't going to buy them!

koz
[/quote]

Was too, I'm just poorer than usual this winter. I gotta figure out a way to got out and make some extra money on my weekends...hmmm...what to do...what to do...it'll come to me...hmmm...

Besides, why bother buying one when you leave your dealers booth unattended for hours on end? :)

Oh...and I realised the other night that I made a cameo appearance in this DVD as "the man in the yellow hat"...now people can play Where is Waldo when they watch the videos again.
[quote]
On 2009-02-11 15:39, Chad wrote:

Oh...and I realised the other night that I made a cameo appearance in this DVD as "the man in the yellow hat"...now people can play Where is Waldo when they watch the videos again.
[/quote]

I thought the man in the yellow hat was Curious George's pal? :)

Best,

Dan-
Kozmo is at any Denny's and Lee's in Baltimore this coming Tuesday for those of you in the area that might not have known. I'm hoping to pick up the DVD set in person.