(Close Window)
Topic: MP3Tech Tips and Tricks
Hey all,

Just got my mp3tech and I was wondering if anyone with experience could share tips and proper ways of handling it both off show and on show.

Issues for example - If you want the remote to be in your pocket and handle it from outside your pocket (just touching your pants) what could you attach to the buttons so you could properly feel them, know which button does what and operate them efficiently?

Also - don't you find it bothering that it takes those few seconds to change from track to track? You really have to be straight on the show so you won't have to start fidgeting with the remote forwarding tracks.

Also - if you have 5 playlists, each with 20 songs - isn't it a bit inconvenient to have all 100 songs on the SD main tree root without no order?

These and any other insights or methods of using the player properly will be appreciated.

Simcha
Hey Simcha,

Great purchase. I had a Mini tech for 6 years and just changed over to the MP3 Tech a few months ago. I love it.

To answer some of your questions. I've tried pushing the buttons thru my pants pocket and don't find it very convennient. I still place my hand in my pocket to control to remote. I have strapped it to the inside of my wrist on a few occasions and found that to work quite well. I keep one remote in my right pants pocket and one in my jacket outer left pocket. I did have a thought recently, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm not hage fan of the remote on the ankle, although I do use it some times. My thought was that maybe a PK ring would be magnetic enough to start the player instead of the ankle switch. I could wear it on my left hand and control the start of the tracks from the left and the other buttons from the remote on my right.....anyone else try this???

I have all my music on the card and 9 different "shows". i.e. 1)Preshow Music 2)Illusion Show 3) Birthday Party 4) Family show 5)Halloween Preshow 6) Halloween School Show (Younger grades) 7)Halloween School Show (older grades) 8)Christmas Preshow 9) Christmas Show. I have a second backup SD card that's set up the same way. When I make changes to one I change the other.

All the best,

John
Hi

Agreed a great purchase.

Yes PK ring will work with the remote.
I have one remote in my pocket which I remove and palm to operate.

The other one is Velcroed to the Track display unit which is on my roll on table.

Bring a prop out from table hit button and off I go.

Last year I had 2 SD one for my Christmas shows the other for general shows.

This year I will get another SD and combine the shows I do for December save swapping them about.

Colin
I actually like to have the remote in my pocket and operate it through the pants material. This method always goes completely un-noticed by the audience. If you are familiar with the remote, you'll know by feel which buttons perform which functions.

I might also add that to keep the remote facing the same way in my pocket every performance, I stick a rolled up piece of gaffers tape to the back of the remote and adhere the other side to the inside of my pocket. That way, the remote doesn't shift or move around while I'm performing - and I always know where the four buttons are positioned.

In regards to the slight delay when switching from one track to another... If your music cues need to be that close together, you might want to edit the two pieces of music together to create one track. I have done this on a lot of the pieces of music and or sound effects that I use.

In regards to the organization of tracks on the SD card... If you put all the tracks on the SD card at once, they should be alphabetized. I have added tracks and deleted tracks which has created track listings that is not in complete alphabetized order. Sometimes I do have to scroll through the list when I'm putting a show sound track together, but it's never really been a big deal to me...

Lyndel
I velcro the remote to a piece of cardboard that is cut just right to fit in my pocket, that way the remote and it's buttons are always in the same spot for my reach.

I am pretty sure I got that tip from Ken Scott.
I attach large paperclip to remote.

Then safety pin it to the top of my pocket.

So the remote is at the mid area hanging in your pocket.

Am still getting used to that position.

My mic. belt pack is in same pocket.

So belt pack is at botton of pocket and
MP3Tech remote is at top area of pocket.

But,I love the idead of the cardboard template to attach remote to and place in your pocket. GREAT idea!

Just as long as you don't have it in your back pocket, because the audience with think you picking you butt. lol
Got a PK ring today and it works great. Thanks for the input everyone.

John
I liked the idea of the remote in my pant's pocket velcroed in place so it doesn't move. What I didn't like is that my pant pockets are needed for other things pertaining to my show. What I did was to stick a piece of velcro onto a pair of boxer shorts and positioned it so that when the remote is stuck to it, it's outline through the pants is about an inch or two below where the bottom of the pocket would be. I stick the remote to the boxers upside down but that's just a personal preferrance. Anyway the remote stays in place, is easily felt through the pant material and frees up my pocket.