(Close Window)
Topic: Master Sessions by John Carney
I'm assuming that this hasn't gone out yet. I just ordered last night so I haven't received it yet. Has anyone who's ordered this received it yet? I'd love to hear a review if someone has...

Rick
Rick, may I know where do you order it from? I only know there's a DVD on palming by John Carney.
Hi Bob,

You can order it here: [url=http://www.hahnemagic.com/]Master Sessions[/url]

And here: [url=http://www.carneymagic.com/store/index.html]CarneyMagic[/url] you can order enough DVDs and books by John Carney to keep you busy the next few years and destitute for the rest of your life :bg:

Good luck :)
The website states that the first disk will be mailed at the beginning of December. As such, it is unlikely that anyone who ordered it has the disk or will be able to provide a review.
Ian, thanks for that. I guess I hadn't read that much of it; ADD strikes again!
Richard Kaufman discusses (reviews) it in his Genii Speaks column in the December issue of Genii. If you want the gist of what he thinks, here's his final statement, "This is really a magnificent achievement and gets my highest recommendation". The article is worth reading. I'm going to order a set.
[quote]
On 2008-11-20 10:07, double_lift wrote:
Hi Bob,

You can order it here: [url=http://www.hahnemagic.com/]Master Sessions[/url]

And here: [url=http://www.carneymagic.com/store/index.html]CarneyMagic[/url] you can order enough DVDs and books by John Carney to keep you busy the next few years and destitute for the rest of your life :bg:

Good luck :)
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the websites. It shouldn't just keep me busy but will make my wallet bleed for this christmas! :D

Cheers,

Bob
Someone posted on another forum that they had received their first disc and the web site states that they are now being shipped. Mine has not yet arrived.
I have his Carney on Ramsay dvvd and it is great. When John performs at the Castle I am always a little disappointed if he does not perform Cylinder coins and excited when he does.
Thanks for drawing attention to this. John is my favorite magician living today and I really believe he is the best there is. I've been fortunate enough to see him perform twice and you are so right about his cylinder and coins. I didn't like that trick until I saw his handling. The coins just vanish.
May I ask if the cylinder and coin is explained in the Carney On Ramsay DVD, or other DVDs by John Carney? I did not already own any of John carney's books or DVD and want to get one to start with, any suggestions folks?

Thanks
Bob, John performs and teaches the Cylinder and Coins on his DVD "Carney on Ramsay: Lessons in Misdirection".
Hi Christopher, I tried to PM you but seems you don't accept anymore PMs.

Can you PM me please? I need to ask for your help please.

Thanks
Bob
My, my, my, this looks interesting. Hmmmmm.
My wonderful wife had this under the tree for me.

I know it's a lot of money for only one DVD initially. This is why I didn't order it myself, when I saw it. I have little doubt the other three disks will be produced. If the material on the other three disks is even close to the first one, this will be the best DVD set I have ever seen, for me. It's workable, well-though-out magic. Every effect has a classic bent.

The sponge ball routine and the initial copper silver trick on the disk, are worth the price of all four disks to me.

John Carney's magic is beyond great. He tips great information on controlling your spectator that is invaluable.

If you want to do great magic. Any of his material is worth working up. He even explains why books are so important on his DVDs!

Book of Secrets and Carneycopia are both available. I'd get my copies now!! Before they go out of print and you end up paying hundreds for them on Ebay!
Vernon was amazed by John's Ring off the Wand (using a borrowed ring and a borrowed straw). He thought it was the best.
Considering your getting 4 John Carney DVDs for $99 (if you take advantage of the special offer) and Free domestic shipping, this is an exceptional value.

John's an amazing teacher. You only have to see one of his lectures to know that.

I'm looking forward to getting these just for the knowlege he shares.

The magic is icing on the cake.
I have got his Books of Secrets DVDs, Carney On Ramsay and Carney On Palming. All I can say is UNBELIVABLE. These are now my favourite set so I quickly bought Carneycopia and love the sponge ball routine.

Knowing the Master Sessions vol.1 has this included, I m agreed to what Kentfgunn said, this is worth the price of the whole 4 volume set.

Bob
BTW, $99 is special off before 31st January, compare to the full price $125, an 80% discount.
I've only had chance to quickly look at the first disk, but already I can see this is a truly quality product. One of the best (if not THE best) DVD I have seen for clarity in teaching and production values. My only comment (and it's a very small point) is that it would have been nice to see the routines performed in a real life situation. But otherwise - top class and highly recommended. It goes without saying that John carney is a world class performer and teaching some of his own working repoertoire is an opportunity not to be missed. In the short time I spent watching he has one tip on a coin classic which is so obvious but, like they say, is worth the price of the DVD.
[quote]
On 2009-01-01 17:58, D J Hawkins wrote:
In the short time I spent watching he has one tip on a coin classic which is so obvious but, like they say, is worth the price of the DVD.
[/quote]

David, I m sure you mean Current Classic. In David Stone's Real Secret's Of Magic DVD, he combined soem moves from Current Classic and adapt to other handling to make a different routine.
I ordered my set today. Hopefully Mr. Bannons strong track record of providing excellant teaching and effects will continue. I am betting they will.
Bannon? :)

I received the first disc a few weeks ago and I am amazed at how much good solid practical advice and magic it contains. This is not a disc you can watch once and absorb. I consider it more of a digital reference manual that I am sure to refer to regularly. This first disc alone gave me my money's worth, and then some. Once you see it you'll likely agree. I highly recommend this.
I ordered mine today.
John Carney is by far my favorite performer and his skill and integrity are beyond reproach.
In a magic market where it seems like some magicians will blow their nose in a napkin and try to sell you the eBook for $19.99, it is refreshing to see a product like this. John Carney could ask much more than the current price for this particular offering and easily get it, but instead he has priced it affordably to reach more a wider audience. I am grateful.
Can't wait to view the first session.
I think this DVD set is the antithesis of all the "not ready for prime time" single trick DVDs of late. This is the real work. Some might call it "old school", but that's really a compliment. John Carney is the best.

Robert
There's nothing wrong with old school. And with the economy the way it is, it's nice that Carney and company is giving us a break on the price of the 4 DVDs. Great instrution and great price. You can't beat that.
I just viewed the first disc and it's fantastic. I love Mr. Carney's demeanor. You can learn so much from just watching him 'not do anything'.

He never looks like he is making moves, and if he is, it just zips right on by the spectator.

I love how he directs his focus, it's always at the right place at the right time.

His eyes are always telling you where to look, but in a very casual, nonchalant manner. It's never "look here, look here".

His comments are extremely insightful, and the teaching session really does seem like your being taught, not just how to do a trick, but how to perform magic.

Highly recommended.

The effects are all great, but for me, the real value is using the technique's in whatever effect you perform. Not to carbon copy his style, but to be smooth, and effective in your magic.

I can't wait for Spring.
The first Master Session DVD reminds me of the book Stars of Magic. Every routine is beautifully constructed, every effect strong.

Unlike Stars of Magic, the DVD also gives you incredible detail in handling, an examination of psychology, and a discussion of magic theory that make each trick work as strongly as it can.

Tips on creating "the magic moment," handling spectators who are holding something, using a TT, etc., etc. will improve any magic you do.

I believe this series will rank among the great offerings in magic.

Cheers,
Jerry
Get these - judging from the first one these are/will be GREAT! I think these will be amongst the top pick DVDs. HIGHLY recommended. Volume one was fabulous.

BTW... consider using Michael Skinner's T&R straw wrapper to open up John's ring on straw effect. Michael's routine can be found in his book and also in the Magic Menu book.

Tim
For ordering these, does anybody have an idea if Canada falls under Domestic shipping or not?
I finally found the time to watch this first installment. I would agree the DVD is well produced,provides great instruction and is very entertaining. I ordered the set and now I will try to be patient awaiting the next DVD.
Is anyone aware of the time frame for the release of the remaining DVD's?
I suppose it's every 3 months from the first listing date of the Disc 1. It' could be 1st Feb, same time as when Disc 2 release.
Kind of figured the "limited time only" on the special price was not entirely accurate (seems to happen quite a bit, not just in magic) but assuming the offer has been extended and not just a lapse in updating the website - it's a great deal even (if and when) the price does go up.

Looking forward to the next installment...
[quote]
On 2009-01-14 23:48, hbwolkov wrote:
Is anyone aware of the time frame for the release of the remaining DVD's?
[/quote]

The next session is due out in March.
Yep, Just got an e.mail from Frankie that the second volume is releasing in early March. Really can't wait!

Anyone add anything to their repertiore?
All right, its early march.

This is my first exposure to Carney after deciding I love pure sleight of hand as much as mentalism. I'm so glad I bought this set.....and made that decision
Just about ro place an order for these, just wanted to confirm if the second dvd had been sent out yet?

If you could let me know that would be greatly appreciated
Yes, DVD 2 has been sent out. Great stuff!
Received mine( second DVD) about 2 weeks ago.
Disc 3, The Summer Session arrived this afternoon. I love these!
What's on it! What's on it!
LOL!!

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but the contents:

- Cards Undercover
- Revanishing (a series of coin vanishes)
- Crystal Flash
- Hot Slot
- In The Hands Monte
- Insights (Notebooks)
[quote]
On 2009-06-08 16:42, Magiguy wrote:
Disc 3, The Summer Session arrived this afternoon. I love these!
[/quote]

Me, too!

Robert
Yeay! Mine came in the post today!
I just received the 4th DVD yesterday, and it's wonderful. This set is a must for card, coin and C&B workers. John has some great original pieces, as well as his handlings of some classics by Leipzig, Vernon, Miller, Bertram, and others. This set by John, as well as Michael Vincent's new sets from this summer, are some of the best works ever released. I have several DVDs that I've bought and sold over the years, but these are all going to be keepers forever!
I just received the 4th DVD last week. He has hit his 4th homerun in this series of well taught usable effects. His books are outstanding and his DVD's rival his publications in quality. A simple dinner knife and a piece of paper are transformed into magical entertainment. His Cups and Ball routine is direct and magical. The subtleties are presented that transform a trick into a memorable flowing effect. John is once again to be congratulated for setting a high bar with his latest effort.
No rising card routine in the vol 4???
Contents list for vol 4 please?
The final disk in the John Carney Master Sessions contains:

Swing Blade - probably the strongest impromptu effect I have ever seen, you can find a demo on YouTube.

Muscade Magic - Carney presents the Vernon Cups and Balls routine.

Foote Rising Card - A very simple rising card effect, had never seen/heard of it.

Coins Across - Carney gives a WONDERFUL in the hands three coin variation - one of the strongest tricks on the whole set. He also goes through a 4-coin no gimmick version using a table.

Insights: Research, Study and History - John talks about the importance of researching effects, why it helps the whole community when you properly credit, why the history of an effect matters, etc.

For $99 this was one of the best investments I could have made. It is a little hard to explain, but it is not really because of the tricks (which are excellent), and more the approach and the exposure of his thought process. On some of the disks he presented unfinished pieces of magic, which I found very helpful - he talked about why they were unfinished, what they lacked, what the problems were, what options he was thinking about, etc.

Hope this helps,
Jason
The fourth DVD is by far my favorite. I thought it was worth it just for the explanitions. John puts a lot of thought into what he does and why. So, even if the effect didn't interest me the explantion was the gold.
[quote]
On 2009-09-11 09:32, Tom G wrote:
The fourth DVD is by far my favorite. I thought it was worth it just for the explanations. John puts a lot of thought into what he does and why. So, even if the effect didn't interest me the explantion was the gold.
[/quote]
[quote] Jman466 wrote:
It is a little hard to explain, but it is not really because of the tricks (which are excellent), and more the approach and the exposure of his thought process. On some of the disks he presented unfinished pieces of magic, which I found very helpful - he talked about why they were unfinished, what they lacked, what the problems were, what options he was thinking about, etc.
[quote]

Tom & Jason make excellent points, that cover most of my feelings regarding the set.
Volume 3's routines had the least appeal for me, but it was still a pleasure to watch and learn.

As mentioned elsewhere this set is a 'keeper'. I have long been a fan of Carney, and this does have the feel of personal mentoring. Far more than a disc of tricks.

Charlie
Anyone got Vol. 4? I did not get that in my mailbox yet...
[quote]
On 2009-09-13 21:32, Steven Leung wrote:
[/quote]

I'm in the UK, and have had it for about a week..
I will be attending John Carney's lecture in Richmond Va on Sept 28 (can't wait). Does anyone know if he is selling the complete DVD set at his lectures?
John always gives an excellent lecture.

I wish he was coming to Atlanta.
[quote]
On 2009-09-17 13:00, Mike.Dupree wrote:
I will be attending John Carney's lecture in Richmond Va on Sept 28 (can't wait). Does anyone know if he is selling the complete DVD set at his lectures?
[/quote]

Please do not quote this as authoritative, but I doubt he will. I say this because on his own Website he does not sell the Master Sessions, but rather refers you to: http://hahnemagic.com. So it just seems logical that he would not be hauling a lot of them around - I could be completely incorrect however.

HTH,
Jason
Why not shoot John an e-mail or PM and ask him.
[quote]
On 2009-09-13 21:32, Steven Leung wrote:
[/quote]

Yup. Several weeks ago. Perhaps the best of the four.
Actually he is now selling master session on his website.
[quote]
On 2009-09-19 13:13, Mike.Dupree wrote:
Actually he is now selling master session on his website.
[/quote]
I see him advertising them, but it still seems to point to Hahne magic to buy them - here is what it says at the end of the Master Sessions information on carneymagic.com:

These DVDs are not available through dealers or web sites,
ONLY through HahneMagic.com

For more info, and to order, go directly to http://hahnemagic.com
Inquiries to email@hahnemagic.com

Did he announce on his lecture that they are now going to be sourced directly through him? Either way, these four disks are great and I cannot recommend them enough. His books Carneycopia and Book of Secrets are equally excellent - for me, John makes me want to be a better student, and that seems like a good thing.

Regards,
Jason
Thanks Jason. I already have Carneycopia and I plan on ordering the Book of Secrets and Master Sessions very soon. I would like have him autograph both books at his lecture next monday. I'll post again where I was able to order the master sessions. Thanks for the high recomendations.

Cheers,
Mike
[quote]
On 2009-09-17 13:00, Mike.Dupree wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, John Carney is selling "The Master Sessions" DVD set on his current lecture tour. All of his other DVDs, "The Book Of Secrets" and a new book "Magic By Design" are also available at the lecture.
Thanks for the Ian for the info guess I have to take some $$ with me to the lecture.
Are the John Carney Master Sessions DVDs playable on a set-box DVD player (or only on computer DVD player)? Also do the DVDs have a menu and thumbnails so that you can click right to the item you wish to watch (as opposed to having to either FF or watch the video until it gets to where you wish to watch)?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
[quote]
On 2009-10-22 20:27, Turk wrote:
Are the John Carney Master Sessions DVDs playable on a set-box DVD player (or only on computer DVD player)? Also do the DVDs have a menu and thumbnails so that you can click right to the item you wish to watch (as opposed to having to either FF or watch the video until it gets to where you wish to watch)?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
[/quote]

They play on any DVD player I have tried so far - set top, portable, computer, etc. There is a menu for each effect performance, and explanation. On the fourth disk there is a master index which will tell you WHICH of the four DVD's the item appears on. There are no thumbnails on the menu - just text. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jason
Thanks for the info, Jason. Very much appreciated.
So for those those own the set, choose your first 3 favourite of the entire set, what will they be? I know they are all killers hecne impossible to choose but there must be a few that you would LOVE to learn and doing it.