(Close Window)
Topic: Penguin cups and Paul Fox cups
Message: Posted by: doublelift (Nov 22, 2008 08:34PM)
I have a set of Paul Fox cups in a place of honor in a display case that never come out to play. On a whim I bought a set of the Penguin copper cups. Of course they aren't near the same quality and the inside is as ugly as you may have heard. But boy they sure look like Fox cups. I am sure it isn't by pure accident they are so similar. What is the best method to cleanup the inside and give them a little better look? They are a little rough and have "chemical stains".
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 22, 2008 08:42PM)
A dremel with a couple different grade of polishing wheels?

Personally, I'd just blacken the insides completely.
Message: Posted by: walid ahumada (Nov 22, 2008 10:11PM)
Go to here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=219483&forum=115
Message: Posted by: doublelift (Nov 22, 2008 10:12PM)
Thanks fopr the suggestion! I must admit the thought of the inside being black did cross my mind but I have never seen it done and was hesitant of considering it just for that reason. I guess it could be a benefit but they may not display as innocently as raw metal. The set I have just does hold a tennis ball to the point of retaining it slightly. That may play out well if a slightly lodged ball is a bit of a suprise on the final load.
Message: Posted by: MickeyPainless (Nov 22, 2008 10:21PM)
I ended up with a set of these back in the day because I was naive at the time and oh yeah, the dealer flat lied to me! I used a fine abrasive cone on my drill press and cleaned em up very well but within a couple weeks they had the black scunge covering the interior again! Knowing the little I do now about quality of metals used in these things I have since shelved them and don't handle them for fear of what may transfer! Call me paranoid but I reckon better safe than sorry!

Mick
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Nov 23, 2008 02:28AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-22 23:21, MickeyPainless wrote:
I ended up with a set of these back in the day because I was naive at the time and oh yeah, the dealer flat lied to me! I used a fine abrasive cone on my drill press and cleaned em up very well but within a couple weeks they had the black scunge covering the interior again! Knowing the little I do now about quality of metals used in these things I have since shelved them and don't handle them for fear of what may transfer! Call me paranoid but I reckon better safe than sorry!

Mick
[/quote]

Bill suggested a caranuba wax on the freshly polished cups to me. I think that would retard the "scunging"...
Message: Posted by: Lawrence O (Nov 23, 2008 10:17AM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-22 21:34, doublelift wrote:
I have a set of Paul Fox cups in a place of honor in a display case that never come out to play. On a whim I bought a set of the Penguin copper cups. Of course they aren't near the same quality and the inside is as ugly as you may have heard. But boy they sure look like Fox cups. I am sure it isn't by pure accident they are so similar. What is the best method to cleanup the inside and give them a little better look? They are a little rough and have "chemical stains".
[/quote]

If you have the original Paul Fox cups in steel, don't hesitate using them. I'm using mines for about 35 years: they don't even have one scratch (and believe me they have a lot of mileage).
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Nov 23, 2008 10:46AM)
The Tarn-X penetrates the metal and removes more of the grease that has gotten imbedded in the cups.
Message: Posted by: doublelift (Nov 24, 2008 06:48PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-23 11:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
The Tarn-X penetrates the metal and removes more of the grease that has gotten imbedded in the cups.
[/quote]

I believe Bill is onto something about what could be trapped in the metal. Who knows what the alloy of copper is and what it may have been intended for. The stains remind me of some of the caustic chemicals used to clean metal for soldering. I first thought of what chemical may have been used during the manufacturing process but as Bill pointed out impuities may be deeper than the surface.