(Close Window)
Topic: Art of Astonishment - Specific Effects
I have done some searches but haven't found exactly what I was looking for pertaining to these awesome books. What I was looking for is a place where the owners of the books can review particular effects from the book, things they've tried and what effects they use and enjoy most from the books. Sorry if there is already a post like this, but I thought I'd start one now...

Some of my favorite effects I've tried so far:

Vanishing Deck: a great illusion that has floored many spectators for me. So simple really, yet so efffective with the right handling.

Giant Killer Coin: I know it's a simple coin matrix routine, but the giant coin at the end is a great punchline to this effect. Always gets great reactions.

Silver Slide: a great production of four coins. Really amazes them when you reveal all the coins. I love this one.

Hi Ho Silver: A relatively simple coin vanish and production that just plain looks great when done well.

Las Vegas Leaper: This trick caused the same reaction with the first few people I've done it to. They get to the part at the end where they count their cards, and they get those nervous giggles as they get to the tenth card and realize they're not done counting! Truly a freaky, seemingly impossible illusion if done well.

Buck Naked: a nice bill switch that is very easy to do and very clean. I haven't tried it too much on anyone, but it looks good in the mirror!

Cros-Twist: Awesome effect. Really beautiful to see the color change on the second part. A nice variation on card tricks, no picking a card...any card.

Well, those are some of my favorites. You may have noticed they are all from Book One, that's because Book One is the only one I've read so far. I am ready to start Book Two any day now, I just want to perfect a few things from Book One before moving on. Feel free to post some reviews in this post about particular effects in this great series of books.
Galaxy is the #1 Trick of All Time

Jakks
I started at Reset with book 1 and is still probably my most performed trick from the whole series. Other tricks I enjoy include Limo Service, Vacuum Cleaner Cards, Cros Twist, Galaxy, Gambler vs. Magician vs. ......, among others. I have been playing aroung with Sidewinder lately but am having trouble with flashing.
I second DrJakks on Galaxy! :cool: :bikes:
You guys have to be kidding me!!! There are plenty of effects better than "Galaxy." As for posting review of effects out of AOA. Post them here!!! That's what the forum is for.

Andrew
Andrew, Galaxy is a AOA effect and I didn't see your review. Pagea, try Nightshades; it gets a great response. Also, try perpetual-motion coin.
If you need help ask DrJakks. He can do it!

Flip flop plop-this really is a great force.
Unshuffiling Rebeca-really cool.
Aero-dynamic dollar-I have had a lot of fun with this!
The classic re-cap is printed in here.
Another one I really like is Stapled; this really gets them!

I have yet to get it right, but try orange by Neale
All these are favorites of mine from book 1.
Have fun! :cool:
[quote]
On 2003-04-25 22:11, midknightmagic wrote:
Andrew, Galaxy is a AOA effect and I didn't see your review.
[/quote]

I know that Galaxy is an AOA effect. I have the books!! I never said it wasn't. I never said I had a review of it either. I was telling the person who made this topic that he could post review of AOA effects because he said he was looking for a place like that.

Andrew
If you haven't yet tried Solid Deception, you're missing something really special. I mean, the Omni Deck is good, but it's no Solid Deception.
[quote]
I have yet to get it right, but try orange by Neale
All these are favorites of mine from book 1.
Have fun! :cool:
[/quote]

Took me a couple oranges but I remember making one. It was fun.
Whack ya Pack is great too! Great effect for getting the audience involved

Dave
I'm looking into buying this book. Are the effects hard to do? how many gimmicks will I need?
Thanks.
Tap Dancing Aces
Invisble Palm Aces(And MONDO NIFTY IP)
Las Vegas Leaper/ Big Time Leaper
Whack Your Pack
Juke
Nightshades
Gambler vs. Mentalist vs. Magician
Unshuffling Rebecca
Color Stunner

and of course

GALAXY

These are just a few of my favorites. I have only tried Neale's Orange once and it broke, but I will make it someday.

Great books, get em' all!

Jakks
Jakks you can do the perpetual motion coin thing? you should make a video. A friend with the books mentioned it; I didn't know what he was talking about...

Ian
Medivh - you can make all the gimmicks yourself!

I will second Yavid2001's suggestion, whack a pack is great!

:)
Paul's Invisible Rising Card is a great one for a borrowed deck. Uses the spread cull to great effect, and you won't find too many others doing it...
Las Vegas Leaper - I probably get better reactions from this than any other effect I do.

Re-set - One of my favourite effects and I even enjoy watching myself do it!

Invisible Palm Aces - This is what I'm working on at the moment, just got to get the patter right and it'll be ready for performing.

[quote]
On 2003-04-26 14:13, jhostler wrote:
Paul's Invisible Rising Card is a great one for a borrowed deck. Uses the spread cull to great effect, and you won't find too many others doing it...
[/quote]Absolutely. I like this even better than the Mike Close version of the invisible deck. Doesn't require any memo deck work either....
I just ordered volume one today, I can't wait to get it.
I can't do the orange thing........
Can anyone do it?

And Jakks, please make a short clip for that impossible move! I think we all wish to see it be done REAL!!! :angel:

Michael Lam
CharlieC did the orange on his second try!
Since we are on the subject, has anyone done the dollar bill fold for the jack in the box?
Does anyone else do the Ing bottle (cards in the bottle)? :cool:
I did the Dollar Bill Fold. I have tried the Ping Pong Ball thing, but not putting a hole deck inside.

I am not that good at the PMCM, but I can do it for atleast 30 seconds on the first try.

I would make a video, but my clips are INCREDIBLY low in quality and you probably couldn't tell what was going on.

Jakks
[quote]
[/quote]

I completely agree, this is a fantastic effect - the switch at the end is great!

Hey, I forgot to say. I loved "Backlash."

Andrew
Galaxy... mmm... easy, STRONG and pretty much self-working... what more can I ask for!! And yes, solid deception is a GEM as well!!

regards,
Jonathan
[quote]
On 2003-04-27 13:19, phonic69 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I completely agree, this is a fantastic effect - the switch at the end is great!

[/quote]

Yes, I like that switch too! And I love the patter that is Rising the Invisible card! ^_^~

Michael Lam
[quote]
On 2003-04-25 22:11, midknightmagic wrote:

Flip flop plop-this really is a great force.

[/quote]

I don't have my books on me, but I could have sworn flip-flop-plop was a control not a force. Am I mistaken?
I'm pretty sure the flip flop plop is a control for the selected card to the top of the deck as well. Also, Bill Malone references this control in his on the loose set. It really is a pretty deceptive control if you have convincing patter to follow it up. If not most specs catch you.
Wow, lots of responses! Awesome!

For some reason, I hate Re-Set. It's probably because it took me 4 nights of reading the routine before bed until I memorized all the actions. Then the first few people I tried it on saw the same cards multiple times as I tried to pass them off as new. I don't know, maybe I need to practice more and do it faster before I show anyone else.

I recently started practicing Re-Cap and Uncanny. Uncanny was pretty easy for me to learn and it got a great reaction on my first spectator I tried it on.

Pepetual Motion Coin? Oh man, I would love to see this being done, I really thought it was just something Harris threw in the book to keep us busy trying the impossible. Speaking of which, is Pain a real effect?!?! I can't tell if it's a joke or just a dangerous effect?! I knw it's one that I will skip.

Has anyone done Creation?! I would love some feedback on that effect. The whole idea sounds really interesting and with the flower and coccoon creation first, the ending sounds like it would blow people away! Any feedback?!
I tried PAIN....the pin wont hurt you (as long as the sharp side is down and you are hitting the blunt side). I actually tried it last night for the first time. I didn't get the full effect because I was too worried about not maiming myself. :pepsi:
I love these books - especially GALAXY and BACKLASH !! - been trying the one with the orange but just end up with sticky fingers !! althouh a tip is to draw the cut lines on first with a marker pen ...... makes it easier to see where they go & join up !!

I did post a question in the I want to see the Manager Section about a AOA forum as the tricks in these books cover cards, coins etc etc - never got a response though !
I enjoy backlash as well. Does anyone else try Guts. I don't think it is as good as Backlash.
What a marvelous idea; having users choose their favourites from a specific book. I just wrote one famous and generous author saying in essence, that without a Video tape, I could not judge which of the effects in his book might most appeaal to audiences. I asked which were his favourites, meaning which obtained best audience response.

We can, none of us, any longer go through every trick in a book, learn it, try it, and then discover that audience reaction may be "ho-hum". Nice guy though he is (and he really is) his answer, "they are all my favorites", was not totally helpful.
Marty K
I've done creation, but don't try to do it in the cheesy manner that is outlined. I happen to really like the tongue in cheek style of the books and I perform pretty much in the same vein, but the first time I did Creation I got screams. Real life screams, as opposed to the kind magicians normally tell other magicians they get.

Ever since then I make it a really special thing. I read that Nate Leipzig used to do the same thing. Be careful not to rip the wings. Try to touch the moths as little as possible. I look forward to every spring and summer because it's a seasonal trick.

Also, I read about Pain in a routine by (I'm almost positive) Anneman. My all time favorite from AOA is Limo service. I always have an extra jack so I'm clean at the end.
I finished Book One last night and tonight I rip open the plastic wrap on Book Two and begin to learn more Art of Astonishment. How does Book Two compare to One?

By the way, Las Vegas Leaper floored another victim for me last night, leading to the nervous giggles at the end!! I love that trick!!!

I have a question about Las Vegas Leaper. I am very comfortable with the false counts involved, but there is one part which I got caught on last night while performing this trick. It was a fellow magician who I was performing for, so it's not a huge deal to me. But the part he said he saw is the backs of the 3 cards on the bottom when I handed him the packet of his 10 cards. Now, I handed them to him all squared up as tight as I could, and explained the count to him and told him to count out loud. But immediately after I handed him the packet, he started to spread them out a bit, thus leading to him spotting the packet on the bottom. This was the first time this happened, usually they just hold the packet tightly and start the count when I tell them. Is this something that I can control? How can I get my spectator not to fan the cards at all without making it look suspiscious?
You say: "Hold the pack just like this..." and demonstrate the grip you want. Then when you hand them the cards, adjust their grip for them.. (when I do spongeballs, I always close their fist for them and then turn their wrist so it points down. This keeps them from opening their hand early.)
One trick I enjoy, and always gets geat reactions is 'Juke'. This effect is so under-rated it doesn't read great but try it out. It is pretty easy as well.
:pepper:
Headache is another overlooked trick. It takes seconds to do and it's not much, but everyone I've done it one has been quite impressed.
Pain is a very scary trick the first time you do it. The first time I did it I was with a couple of magician friends and we were all hesitant to do it. However, it doesn't hurt at all and it does look really neat!
Solid deception rocks as does Limo service!
This has turned out to be a great Forum, collecting exactly the type of info I was looking for! Who is the genius that thought of this topic??!! :goof:

But seriously, there are a lot of effects that I kind of read once, and then sorta moved on if I was short on time or didn't understand something totally. I can't wait to go back now and try some more effects that I may have passed over earlier on. I can't believe that at first I was a bit disappointed with my books, I have done a 180 after only Book One. I can't recommend the set enough!
If you don't use sufficiently pliable pins for "pain" you can get a nice hole in your hand as the pin snaps in half. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.
Juke. An awesome variant of Wack Your Pack.
[quote]
On 2003-05-02 08:59, Pangea wrote:
I have a question about Las Vegas Leaper. I am very comfortable with the false counts involved, but there is one part which I got caught on last night while performing this trick. It was a fellow magician who I was performing for, so it's not a huge deal to me. But the part he said he saw is the backs of the 3 cards on the bottom when I handed him the packet of his 10 cards. Now, I handed them to him all squared up as tight as I could, and explained the count to him and told him to count out loud. But immediately after I handed him the packet, he started to spread them out a bit, thus leading to him spotting the packet on the bottom. This was the first time this happened, usually they just hold the packet tightly and start the count when I tell them. Is this something that I can control? How can I get my spectator not to fan the cards at all without making it look suspiscious?
[/quote]

The way I get around this problem is by very fairly counting the first two or three cards myself so even if the spectator does slightly spread the packet they will just think the cards they see are the ones I have just counted.

Yes, that's the way to do it. I count the first two as a way of demonstrating to the spectator what to do. So you're covered if the cards slip a little.
Backlash and Galaxy and most of the tricks in here are quite astonishing. However, I found a gem in the rubber band haunted deck.If you merely take some time to try and learn a spectators favorite card, this effect can become a miracle beyond proportion.
I have done 'Leaf' here and there this can really blow your specs away. I mean one time they stood looking at the tree for nearly 10 minutes. Because this is like real magic to them, it is not really a commercial effect but just when you are out with friends or something, I enjoy doing it.
:pepper:
Galaxy is a great variation of 'Out OF This World'
In regards to Las Vegas Leaper, I recently tried the idea of turning over the first 2 cards to demonstrate for the spectator. Right away, he wanted to count them again on his own. I think this is because he was suspicious of my first 2 cards I counted for him. I feel the effect is much less suspicious and more impressive if they do the entire count on their own. No matter how fairly I count the first two, it seems like it will always be questioned at the end. As an alternative, I have recently been telling them to grip the pack exactly as I show them, and I say hold it tight so that I can't sneak in and do anything while they count. That seems to be working better.
Can anyone show me a thread to reviews of the 3 volumes....thanks in advance :)
Regarding the count in Las Vegas Leaper, it sounds like it won't work with suspicious spectators. The people I've tried it with have followed my instructions ("Hold out your hand like this...") and haven't noticed the extra cards. You're definitely putting the trick at risk when you place those cards into their hands... but the reward is huge when it works right. My victims always say, "But.. I counted... only 10... how'd you do that?"

That's easily my favorite trick from AOA... it packs a punch, it's fun, and it's fairly easy to do. Next up for me is Big Time Leaper (book 3).
Another vote for Juke! I think it is one of the most under-used gems of the series. I've never seen anyone do it, and it is fabulous!
I have always found that Las Vegas Leaper works best with women. don't't get me wrong, I am not sexist and I have nothing against women at all but I would imagine that men would have more experience and would be more comfortable handling a pack of cards and therefore the chances of the cards spreading are greater.

On the other hand most women will hold the deck with a vulcan death grip because the last thing ANYONE wants is for the cards to slide around and possibly fall to the floor.

All we really want to say is "Okay, just hold the cards like this...", too much emphasis will arouse suspicion because at the end of the day, how hard is it to hold a packet of cards.
[quote]
On 2003-04-26 23:06, Tim Taylor wrote:
Does anyone else do the Ing bottle (cards in the bottle)? :cool:
[/quote]

Reading about this was one of the things that really inspired me to buy AOA 2. I have done two of them now (48 cards in each -- because I keep all the kings)... and just to prove it:
http://www.zeiros.net/eng.jpg

They're really nice objects to keep around and everybody seems to feel the need to pick them up and shake them before asking 'how did you do that?'. The answer is, of course, that I accidentally left a deck of cards on top of the bottle overnight and it was like that when I woke up.

Travelling Triumph and Blackjack challenege are my favourite effects in AOA 2.

AOA 1 and 3 languish somewhere on my list of 'must buy when I have the money' :(