(Close Window)
Topic: Helping the Muscular Dystrophy Association
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 8, 2008 09:10PM)
If you gave 10% of your total to the Muscular Dystrophy Association weekly, do you think they will approve you to show their sign or wear their hat/shirt while performing? If a person ask if you work for them, tell the truth, "No, I donate a percentage to them."
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 9, 2008 04:33AM)
That is a cheap and unscrupulous way to build a hat. You get tipped because YOU are entertaining and have EARNED the money, not because people think it's going to a charity.

Peter.
Message: Posted by: Faulkner (Dec 9, 2008 05:34AM)
Sad. Really sad.

In the worst cases of this illness, a person will be in a wheelchair by 12 and dead by 20.

And you are thinking about profiting from this??

I really hope there is a joke I am missing...otherwise, you are sick.
Message: Posted by: Mario Morris (Dec 9, 2008 08:30AM)
Slow down, guys, it's a fair question.
Personally, I do think the charity would benefit from 10% of your hat. 10% of a weeks taken is a **** load all should be.
On the other hand, I don't think you will take more 'cause of it.
So if you want to support a charity, I suggest that you just give them 10% and just say nothing. Or, perhaps put a link on your web-site and so on.
Mario
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 9, 2008 09:42AM)
Thanks, Mario. At least, you are one with a brain on this page.
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 9, 2008 11:05AM)
Mike, I STILL DISAGREE!!! You ignored Mario's concept that you should just give the money and tell no one about it.

You, on the other hand, are insinuating that you are working for the charity. In fact, you are working for yourself and throwing a small bit to a charity. That makes what you say and do a lie. Hey, you can live as a liar if you want, but I won't. This is the way I see what you are asking.
Message: Posted by: Dave V (Dec 9, 2008 12:06PM)
Mike, I understand your charitable motivations, but I agree with Paddy. Advertising that you donate to the charity without actually *working* for them sounds like you're trying to capitalize on the name to increase your hats. There are frauds out there that supposedly work for charities when, in fact, they do not and simply pocket the money. You don't want to be mistaken for one of those; it'll do you more harm than good.
Message: Posted by: Danny Hustle (Dec 9, 2008 12:14PM)
Kozmo was asking a question. He wasn't saying he was attempting it. You do not even know WHY he was asking the question. You just got all holier than thou and flamed the guy. Some of you might want to think about listening once in a while instead of talking.

For all you know, Kozmo saw a guy doing this and thought it was disgusting. You have NO IDEA why the question was asked.

Kozmo also happens to be one of the best street performers working today. EVERY SINGLE TIME he tries to post something here, he gets flamed by some wannabee who thinks he knows more than his head can hold.

Mario, you're a rock star.

Best,

Dan-
Message: Posted by: Dave V (Dec 9, 2008 12:26PM)
Kozmo? We're talking about Dynamike, aren't we?

Whoever it is, hypothetical or not, the answers would be the same. It would reek of profiteering. Even Mario said that if someone does donate to a charity, they should just do it and not advertise it.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 1:40pm
Maybe "profiteering" is the wrong word to use, but it's all I could come up with at the moment.
Message: Posted by: Danny Hustle (Dec 9, 2008 12:40PM)
Hey, who's the idiot? **Dan, raises his hand** That's right, I'm Dan, and I'll be your idiot today.

But I still stand by my original objection. Nobody knows WHY he asked the question, the guy just asked a question.

No need to fillet him over it.

Thanks, Dave, for the help pulling my noggin' out of my backside.

My question for Mike is WHY do you ask?

Best,

Dan-

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 1:42pm
I do know that a lot of entertainers that DO support certain charities list their appearances on their website.

I just made an appearance on a local telethon and noted it on my Facebook, as well as listing the number people could call to support the cause.

I don't think that makes me a carpetbagger.

Best,

Dan-
Message: Posted by: Faulkner (Dec 9, 2008 12:43PM)
Where did Kozmo come into this? I learned more from Koz when he was down here working than I have from just about any other street worker, and as far as I can see, he did not ask the question, Mike did. What did I miss?

Isn't this spot about street performing and how to get better pay?? Truthfully, what other reason would there be for wearing the shirt or asking the question? It is not about caring about the illness. If it were, he would just pay the money and and do free show or charity fund raisers.

Let us say I was wrong and jumped the gun on Mike...what reason do you have for asking the question? Like I said, it just seemed sick to me, but I can get things wrong.

Mike, why do you want to wear the shirt? I really want to have a brain, too.
Message: Posted by: Tony Iacoviello (Dec 9, 2008 12:49PM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 13:43, Mad Doctor wrote:
Where did Kozmo come into this? [/quote]

Mike's new avatar is of him and Koz. If you are skimming the thread and just see the picture...
Message: Posted by: Mario Morris (Dec 9, 2008 01:11PM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 13:26, Dave V wrote:
Kozmo? We're talking about Dynamike, aren't we?

Even Mario said that if someone does donate to a charity, they should just do it and not advertise it.
[/quote]

I did not. I suggested it, and I did not say should.

I have worked for charities in the past, and this is quite common exchange between business and charities. I see nothing immoral about giving 10% of your takings to a charity and then wearing the t-shirt. I don't think it is a good idea for the show, but immoral, what a load of crap.

Mario
Message: Posted by: Kondini (Dec 9, 2008 01:45PM)
Having worked for Comic Relief and CALM the Cancer movement as an entertainer, it should be noted that both Charities contacted me and paid me to do shows for them in order to set up public attended and ticketed evenings. This gained their Charities more cash for the charity than the money paid to me for supporting them.

Many Comic Relief performers work this way, and like them, we are permitted to display their Logo at any shows we do.

To me, this is upfront and very worthy. It also scratches each others back (nothing wrong with this at all). So to work with, rather than use, is properly the correct way to view the issue.

Ken
Message: Posted by: tomterm8 (Dec 9, 2008 02:28PM)
I would suggest contacting the Muscular Dystrophy Association by telephone and asking them. Only they can give permission. Make sure you get it in writing, with a name attached.

In the UK, it is fairly common for street collections to be staffed by professional fundraisers, but there are laws regulating the practice that the charity should know. Failure to abide by these laws can result in fines that are very large... or even jail.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 9, 2008 02:47PM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 13:14, Danny Hustle wrote:
He wasn't saying he was attempting it. You do not even know WHY he was asking the question. You just got all holier than thou and flamed the guy. Some of you might want to think about listening once in a while instead of talking.
[/quote]
Thanks, Danny.

I was asking the question to find if it would be a good idea helping get publicity for the magician. If it was wrong some type of way, could there be a way to solve the problem?

You are right, Danny, I was not attempting it. If I knew it was wrong and was going to attempt it, I would not have posted it in the first place.

I never seen the topic listed anywhere else, so I wanted to ask to get information from the professionals with brains, not the "wannabee" criticizers.

I like your answers, Mario, Dave, Tom, Ken and Danny.
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 13:49, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 13:43, Mad Doctor wrote:
Where did Kozmo come into this? [/quote]

Mike's new avatar is of him and Koz. If you are skimming the thread and just see the picture...
[/quote]
That is why I believe in wearing noticeable colors while street busking instead of the common shades.
Message: Posted by: MagiCol (Dec 9, 2008 07:24PM)
Wow! Dynamike asks a neutral question, and others sure speak their mind! On the topic of giving to help others, isn't it recorded in one of the Christian gospels that "Jesus" said something about giving without broadcasting the fact? And it didn't occur to me before, but I think it was him who said along the lines of "When you give, don't let your right hand know what your left hand does." Now if that isn't a conjurer's mastered approach, what is? Don't look down. Keep your eyes on the spectators, please!
Message: Posted by: Faulkner (Dec 9, 2008 07:32PM)
Mike, I am not a "wannabee" criticizer...I was a "criticizer."


But as I said..I could be missing something.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 9, 2008 10:35PM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 13:40, Danny Hustle wrote:
Hey, who's the idiot? **Dan, raises his hand** That's right, I'm Dan, and I'll be your idiot today.
[/quote]
No, Danny, you are not the idiot here. You only took a quick glimpse at the avatar and made a mistake. The real idiots are the wannabees that you mentioned earlier, who have nothing to do but criticize. They will post any stupid thing just to get attention. I don't interact with them because I'll just be wasting my time.
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Dec 9, 2008 10:57PM)
I'm not offended by Mike's question. It's an honest one.

I handle charitable work in my own way. I think the public might perceive advertising that you donate a percentage of your hat to any particular charity as a self-aggrandizing move.

I'm not the public.

Just do what you feel is right. The audience will let you know if you have made the right decision.
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 10, 2008 03:27AM)
I will admit I thought that Mike was considering doing this. I was, however, not criticizing Mike for the question but criticizing the act itself. There is one charitable organization that I support by doing free shows, fundraising, anything I can to help them. When I do raise money for them, no one knows that it is for them. I do my bit, and they get 100%, and no one is the wiser except them and me. Because I have this philosophy, perhaps I am blinded to the performing and advertising the fact that it is for a charity.
Message: Posted by: manal (Dec 10, 2008 05:14AM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-08 22:10, Dynamike wrote:
If you gave 10% of your total to the Muscular Dystrophy Association weekly, do you think they will approve you to show their sign or wear their hat/shirt while performing? If a person ask if you work for them, tell the truth, "No, I donate a percentage to them."

[/quote]

Big corporations do this all the time.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 10, 2008 05:28AM)
Thank you for the information, Bill.

I also want to thank the others who have a brain on this page. We need more guys like you in this world. It is a shame how some people get jealous just because a younger minority can do just as good as they can in little amount of time. I always laugh at them.
[quote]
On 2008-12-10 06:14, manal wrote:

Big corporations do this all the time.
[/quote]
Yes, it will help take care of taxes for my paid shows.
Message: Posted by: manal (Dec 11, 2008 08:27AM)
Big corporations also make sure the fact they donate is known by the public. It is displayed in their advertising, which would be like your shirt or sign.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 11, 2008 02:05PM)
Dave, I understand your statements. It would be better to see how it can be approved legally first of all so no trouble will occur. That is why I agree with Tom's suggestion. I am sure the association can give me the information I need, if I am truly interested. Mario, it seems like you are right about the 10% figure. It can always be changed to a different percentage in the future. Ken, Bill and Danny, I have given to associations too. I have also performed free at some associations. I enjoy doing it. I would not have thought about my taxes for my paid shows if you would not have brung up the corporations, Manal. That is a good idea. Bill, if my interest lets me go thru everything to get an approval, I agree with you, "Just do what you feel is right. The audience will let you know if you have made the right decision." Danny, thank you for stumping those criticizers off my back, I appreciate it. Especially thanks to you, Kozmo, if it was not for the picture, there will be more jealous criticizers on this page.

Credits: (in timing order)

Kozmo
Mario
Dave
Danny
Ken
Tom
Bill
Manal
Message: Posted by: JohntheMagician (Dec 11, 2008 02:24PM)
Ok I'll chime in my $.02 cents here.

I do a lot of charity gigs. Alot, most are non-paying gigs, why you ask... Not only is it good policy in my opinion, but I can work on new material, lots oh high end uppity ups attend these things, and its good PR, oh and Karma baby Karma.

I donate my time to them and they in turn provide me with some nice exposure and PR. Not to mention if you do a charity gig and get them to give you a reciept for what your services were worth its a tax deduction.

Just an FYI
Message: Posted by: gaddy (Dec 11, 2008 02:52PM)
10% is a hugely generous sum for a street performer to donate. I believe the average American family donates 8% of their income to charity.

I don't know this for a fact, not being an administrator for any charity, but I would think that a charity would have absolutely no problem with a person displaying their logo who demonstratably donated 10% of their earnings to such a cause.

But as with any copyrighted or trademarked material you would probably need permission first.


***EDIT***

I just checked my facts and that number is actually closer to 2% of gross adjusted income according to the American Enterprise Institute...

So chill out, haters!
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 12, 2008 07:38AM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-11 15:24, JohntheMagician wrote:
...my time to them and they in turn provide me with some nice exposure and PR. Not to mention if you do a charity gig and get them to give you a reciept for what your services were worth its a tax deduction.

Just an FYI
[/quote]

That's NOT what my tax man told me. He is an "enrolled agent" with IRS so he is familiar with their little quirks. The only way to get the deduction is have the charity pay you (this must be reported as income) and then write out a check for the same amount (or more) back to them. That way your cancelled check is your proof of contribution. Otherwise the IRS can say that you inflated the price of the show just to give yourself a phony deduction.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 12, 2008 08:39AM)
John, don't listen to him. He does not know what he is talking about. That is why I never pay him any mind.
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 12, 2008 11:40AM)
Hey Mike, feel free to disagree with me. When IRS sudenly calls and they are smiling because you thought YOU were smarter than them, well the penalties are back taxes, plus interest plus penalties of a minimum of 5% to a max of 50%.

No, I don't know what I'm talking about, I've only been paying taxes longer than you've been alive. I also don't waste people's time with ione line posts just to build my post count.

Paddy
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 12, 2008 11:41AM)
OH Yea Mike, I forgot. I like turtles.
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Dec 12, 2008 06:42PM)
Mike:

Paddy is right about this one. ALL you can deduct from your taxes when you donate a show to charity is your actual expenses. This is shown in detail in several IRS publications.

So, if you donate 10% of your hat to a charity, you have to report 100% of your hat, and have a receipt from the charity that shows how much you have donated.

You can't just donate a show and deduct what you would have gotten paid for it.

Check with an "enrolled agent." Don't just assume that the fellow at the "tax service in a box" down at Wal-Mart is going to be able to tell you all the ins and outs of the tax game.
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 29, 2008 04:05AM)
Thanks, Bill. "It is not what you say, but how you say it". There are old people who still do not have that in their minds and still act childish. I like to read your post because of how you put things. Thanks again, Bill.
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 29, 2008 12:22PM)
I like turtles!!
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 30, 2008 07:04PM)
I like the non-idiots.
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 30, 2008 08:45PM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-30 20:04, Dynamike wrote:
I like the non-idiots.
[/quote]
I have in the past always tried to give you correct information. I may word things harshly, but that is unintended. I have been a busker for 14 years and have made many mistakes which I learned from. I wass just trying to help you avoid those same errors. As long as you think I am an idiot, I promise I will go out of my way to never say anything that may help you again. Good luck, you'll need it.

Paddy
Message: Posted by: The Mighty Fool (Dec 31, 2008 12:01AM)
Look, there's no crime in any of this. The punter gets a good feeling in his heart, the busker gets a bigger hat, the MDA gets more money, and the patient gets more funding / research. No one's getting ripped here! Imagine if every busker in the US did this....I'm guessing the per anum contribution would be around $300,000 or more. Could you honestly say that it's BAD that the MDA is receiving that money? Would you walk up to a child in a wheelchair and tell him / her that there will be no extra funding because some people in a certain chat-room don't like the way it was raised?

BTW, I think I remember someone bringing up religion in an earlier post.....oh yeah, I can REALLY see that! When you get to the pearly gates & are asked why you deserve to be let in, say "I prevented money from reaching handicapped children!"

Now, as for the legalities of actually DOING this, the sticker can be bought at any MDA function or event (they usualy meet at the local Ronald-MacDonald house) and there's no law against displaying it. Since neither you, nor the sticker make any claim to actually work for or represent the MDA, there's no fruad, and as originaly posted, if asked you tell the truth "no, but I donate a portion of my earnings to them"

Man.....I'm STILL geeking out over the original attack on Mike. I promise you, if someone said that they donate 10% of their earnings to a charity, my first inclination would NOT be to call him 'sick'!
Message: Posted by: Bill Palmer (Dec 31, 2008 12:13AM)
I believe you meant "per annum." That extra "n" makes a big difference in the meaning of the word.
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Dec 31, 2008 04:49AM)
The original "attack" on Mike was because of the way he worded the question. It came across as he was asking "if I claim to give 10% will it increase my hat." That's how I understood it and that's why I came back the way I did.

Also, I was taught that like Maimonides, and several other scholars from all religious thoughts have written, that the highest form of giving is where the percipient does not know where the funds come from nor does the giver know who gets the funds. i.e. charity is best done secretly, not shouting to the world "LOOK AT ME!!"
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 31, 2008 11:42AM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-31 01:01, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Look, there's no crime in any of this. The punter gets a good feeling in his heart, the busker gets a bigger hat, the MDA gets more money, and the patient gets more funding / research. No one's getting ripped here! Imagine if every busker in the US did this....I'm guessing the per anum contribution would be around $300,000 or more. Could you honestly say that it's BAD that the MDA is receiving that money? Would you walk up to a child in a wheelchair and tell him / her that there will be no extra funding because some people in a certain chat-room don't like the way it was raised?

BTW, I think I remember someone bringing up religion in an earlier post.....oh yeah, I can REALLY see that! When you get to the pearly gates & are asked why you deserve to be let in, say "I prevented money from reaching handicapped children!"

Now, as for the legalities of actually DOING this, the sticker can be bought at any MDA function or event (they usualy meet at the local Ronald-MacDonald house) and there's no law against displaying it. Since neither you, nor the sticker make any claim to actually work for or represent the MDA, there's no fruad, and as originaly posted, if asked you tell the truth "no, but I donate a portion of my earnings to them"

Man.....I'm STILL geeking out over the original attack on Mike. I promise you, if someone said that they donate 10% of their earnings to a charity, my first inclination would NOT be to call him 'sick'!
[/quote]
:applause: :applause: :applause: (standing ovation)
Message: Posted by: Faulkner (Dec 31, 2008 12:10PM)
The comment "sick" is pertaining to what felt like was an attempt to increase earnings using a charity. This action is common in many major cities. I watch it in New Orleans where caps are sold and the implication is a part of the sales goes to “Meals on Wheels“. It does not, and it is very hard for a charity to go after this kind of theft.

I have worked for charities before, both paid and on my own time. I do them because I know people who have died from the illness. Someone might want to look up the word “charity”.

I wonder if anyone besides me has called the MDA and asked them what they felt about the idea of standing on the street performing and wearing the t-shirt. I know what I was told when I called, and no, I will not say. Get off your tush and call yourself.

My feeling is if you want to help a charity, you call and ask the charity how to help.
There are many intelligent people on the Café, but I doubt we know as much as the charity themselves. I have yet to see anywhere in this thread where there is a concern for someone with MD.

Just concerns for the cash and a payday tax write off.

Again, look up charity.

(I now expect to be called more names.)
Message: Posted by: Dynamike (Dec 31, 2008 12:36PM)
[quote]
On 2008-12-31 13:10, Mad Doctor wrote:
(I now expect to be called more names.)
[/quote]
If you are "sick", you can always see a doctor who is mad. He might even service you for charity. :lol:
[quote]
On 2008-12-30 21:45, Paddy wrote:
I promise I will go out of my way to never say anything that may help you again.
[/quote]
Thank God Almighty, I am free!!!