(Close Window)
Topic: Touching Sky
I know it's already been discussed, but I just got it and am playing around with this stuff. My thoughts - BROOMFLIGHT is excellent. At first I thought "No way is anyone going to be fooled by this," but I practiced it and tried it on some friends and they FREAKED. It's criminally simple.
I find SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF very intriguing. I want to try this one out as soon as I find a willing participant. Has anyone else tried this? MIDAIR would work wonderfully in the right setting. FLOATING ON THE EDGE seems pretty good. Haven't tried it yet. AIRBORNE looks pretty weak to me. I think the other levitations look more convincing. Any thoughts to share if you've also recently gotten this?
So marco...while performing the A. Mayne Broomflight, do you use a broom as the book teaches... or do you improvise it while showing your friend?

Symmatrix
Broomflight is a keeper. If you learn any of the current impromptu levitations, this is the one to do...it's not only amazing to look at, but very comical as well.
I used a broom. I think it would look fishy without one.
What exactly does Broomflight look like? It doesn't give a very good description. Is there cover such as a jacket or something like that?
Broom Flight:

Same principle as Fearson's Fantastic Floatation , but the broom supplies a better tie-in with current popularity of Harry Potter-theme.

You show a broom . Patter supplied talks about how witches' brooms only fly in darkness, so we will cover this one with a cloth to make it think that is night time . (this seems weak to me , I would like to work out a better reason for covering the broom with a cloth......... I think that perhaps the magician wearing a "wizard's cloak" of the correct length, with some cleverly arranged velcro to hold it in position would be better).

After the broom is covered with a cloth (such as a towel) the magician mounts the broom.
Bend the knees and then take off , rising slowly from the floor . Hover over the floor about 2 1/2 feet off the ground . Then sink back down to the floor and dismount broom. It's a good illusion.

Acting skills are necessary for effective presentation . I predict it will have the same life span as the "Balducci levitation" : It will largely be ignored and unperformed until some dynamic performer (like D. Blaine) picks it up and uses it on T.V. . Then everyone in the world will want to do it for about 15 minutes and it will be ruined by over-exposure .
Too bad. It's quite clever .

There is a very quick view of the illusion here:

http://www.wizard-school.com/
The best part is that you can show both feet in the air.
Yeah, Broom Flight is a very good levitation. The way you can show both feet in the air makes the illusion very deceptive. I also think that Airborne is pretty good. If you can balance well and don't "stay in the air" for too long, then it looks really good.
While a friend and I were exchanging ideas on "The Elevator," I asked him to see how this looked. I used the method with the stairs behind you and he was amazed, he thought I used the coat as a cover to load it. Even better was when I reached into my pocket and tossed the elevator to him, his jaw dropped. this whole packet was loaded with such simple and great ideas. Thanks again Andrew.

Mat
Can this be done totally impromptu? With just a borrowed towel and broom?
The broom flight is (totally) impromptu, as long as you are wearing clothes, and have a towel and broom. You can't be completely naked to do it (nor should you be).

K.C.
Hi Guys,

I think the idea of Harry Potter is pretty clever, BUT don't promiss to much before the performance, don't ever explain what you're gonna do, otherwise kids (and adults) may be disapointed if they've seen the movie... The best is just to ask if they've heard about Harry Potter (of course they did!), and to get out your towel and broom.

The good stuff for the towel is to find one looking like the color of the uniforms used in Harry Potter by Harry's school (red and yellow), as it explains in a way the presence of the towel on the broom.

Best,

Franfran :kermit:
I use a Harry Potter topel, the large beach style and explain that i am going to confuse the broom into thinking it is a Harry Potter broom by using the towel. The kids all seem to buy it.
Mat
If your using a Harry Potter theme, why not just hang one of the house banners over the broom to signify which team you will play for (ie Griffyndor, Slytherin etc.) Of course you'd have to make a banner first, but I think it would at least be logical.
I just saw broomflight from the web. Is any construction difficult and does Andrew explain it well in his book?
Broom flight is very simple and should take about one minute to construct, which includes the time it takes to go and get a broom. This effect alone is worth 10 times the price of the book.

oliver
Is there a demo of it somewhere?
yea, go to http://www.wizard-school.com download the demo, you can see him levitating.