(Close Window)
Topic: Kent Gunn's Cups Routine
Hey Kent - just wanted to say that I bought your cup routine and wanted to acknowledge that I think it is completely brilliant. I really like it. Somehow I need to personalize it in someway because I'd feel like a complete hack just stealing everything from you, but the combination of the different colored balls, your final loads, and using the chop cup like you do is frickin brilliant and very original, at least for me. So thanks for sharing the routine my friend – well done and much appreciated.

All the best,
Robert
Kent WHO? ;)
Actually Bob, I debated long and hard about purchasing Kent's notes and decided to pass because it is IMO one of the best ever and I LOVE being fried! This routine leaves me extra crispy!
I'm the same way. I almost bought the notes just to tip Kent's hat for putting this together...but then I knew I'd read them...and then the magic would have been lost for me.

There's a couple of things I've vowed never to learn:

1. What that metal thing was on Jim's site...looked like a futuristic shin guard
2. Where that wretched red hanky goes every time the guy stuffs it into his fist
3. Kent Gunn's cups routine.

I'm better off if there's still a little magic left in the world for me to wonder about...

(ok, so a bit of this was tongue in cheek...but most was written with sincerity)
Robert,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked the booklet. I tried really hard NOT to sell it to anyone who didn't know it took some stuff outside the norm, to do. I didn't want to leave anyone feeling like they got ripped off.

Mickey, Chad:
I never want to know how Lennart Green does his magic. I refuse to watch the explanation several of Tommy Wonder's effects. I prefer, to remain certain they use real magic.

Robert, you gave me a heck of a lift. Thanks you!!
I know what you all mean. Sometimes it's just better to enjoy the magic than to understand the mecahnizations that make it so.
Is there a vid of kent's routine? If so - where? If not.. how did you all discover it?

Cheers!

DCB
There ya go Cat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9jqK58M1M
Ok, that was too weird.

The message from Dorian, was posted by me, Kent. I just realized he left his login when he was here last night.

Hey, I could post all kinds of stuff, under his name . . .

Ok . . . I won't this will be the last time I do it. Heh, heh, heh.

Kent Gunn, Disguised as Dorian Rhodell.
That routine of Kent's is a piece of genius. Worked to perfection.
I will say the reply from Dorian, had me more confused than normal..
Tom
Me too!

Couldn't figure out why he was thanking folks for praising Kent's routine.
I just thought KG shaved his mug, dyed his hair and changed his name to confuse folks!
Kent/ Dorian,

Yes there are aspects of the routine that took some stuff outside of the norm that will probably completely fool other magicians, but I personally don't think that those things are what make the routine so entertaining and unique to laymen and me. Rather it is the use of the different colored balls and they way you used other certain gaffs. So thanks again Kent - very entertaining
Bob,

I just wanted a routine that was one I could call my own. I think many, if not most magicians have their own routines in their soul. Once you've mastered a solid routine, I like to think that's when the real magic can begin. I don't think what I came up with will ever approach the polished performance of Michael Ammar, Tommy Wonder or any real professional magician.

I'm another joyous amateur who loves magic. I exhort one and all of my brethern here: experiment, ponder and goof off with the props you love. I know if you work at it and consider tools that are not in vogue . . . neat stuff can happen!

For me it has made all the difference.

Thanks again Bob,

Kent
Kent
your routine is the best ive ever seen
better than Ammars and wonders
sometimes I don't think you realise how good it is!
all the best
Barry
Barry,

I've all the pride in the world over it. What real magicians, like:

Vincent, Ammar, Wonder etc. have, is performing ability! I watch my practice videos, I see myself still watching my props, not the audience: I hear unpolished blathering:

I like the routine and am happy with the sequence. I'm glad you like it too. Perhaps in a few years, I will be more polished. I'd still rather watch a magician who has years in front of an audience. I think the magic delivered by those folks has a beauty and directness of effect I still lack.

Many magicians have given me some great postive feedback here on the Café. It has been heart-warming and very, very nice for my ego. Don't worry, I'm egotistical enough for both of us!!! Take a trip over to the Busker's Café . . . They tore me a new orifice on my lack of presentation skills.

I think that any discussion of best, or most skilled is always moot. I like my routine best too though!!!!

All my best and Happy Holidays!!

KG
[quote]
I like my routine best too though!!!!
[/quote]

Me too - and there were several things in there to make magicians stratch their heads, but frankly none of that is really what interests me the most. For me personally, it is the most enjoyable cup routine I have ever seen for any laymen. So now I have been practicing on borrowing probably a little too much from Kent, but I'd be too embarrassed to copy too much so hopefully I won't. Much Thanks Kent. The cups and balls was probably the 2nd or 3rd trick I learned 30 years ago. Probably out of nostaltga, but I still think it along with the linking rings are my favorites. Yet your routine that is different enough from Dai and Gazo which is very welcomed, and it now feels fresh again. wow this sounds like as a-kissing post, so be warned Kent, my next post will be obligated to slam you for the sake of balance :)
I would much rather watch Kent Gunn do his routine than watch Ricky Jay perform his version.
There's a hellava compliment!
I like 'em both...
Well, I can watch Tommy Wonder's, Ricky Jay's and Michael Ammar's routines and figure them out with lots of rewinding and careful observation, but this has TOTALLY fried me! I mean, I get [i]some[/i] of it, but I'll be ***ed if I can figure it out.

I may have to go with the idea of keeping this one secret from myself. It's just too much fun!

Kent, as far as your performance and patter issues; I think the problems are very minor. If you took some time to block out the whole routine with a written script/action list that you hone and polish for a while, you'd be able to perform just as well as Ammar and Wonder.

Keep up the good work, and thanks Robert for bringing this routine to my attention.
-Miles
The most brilliant thing about Kent's routine, (there are a few) is that it is SO fastly different from every other C&B presentation. I watched it over and over watching for some false transer, tip over load, wand spin, anything that looked familiar, but nothing. He just put a ball in the cup and then it was gone. He put an empty cup on the table, and then it had a big ball in it. No tell tale trips to the pocket or anything. It's brialliant.
I liked Ricky Jay routine very much and highly recommend it.

Now I just watch Kent Gunn's routine and I was really impressed, very smooth, could not tell how any of it was done. What I saw with Kent Gunn's routine was MAGIC! Hope to see more of it.

Again, I am hearing Impaired and his Patter went out the window the minute the video began, so you know where you can stick that! But I could tell that the timing of his Patter appeared to work well with his moves, therefore I think his routine was flawless.

I liked the fact that Kent moves were not quick as if to hide something, he went slow enough for all of us to follow and still fool us, and that is what we call Magic.

Thank you Kent for making Magic worth watching.
Sincerely
Keith
[quote]
On 2008-12-22 01:50, Pete Biro wrote:
I like 'em both...
[/quote]
Me too.

Kent's steals are different among most/all doing the Cups and balls.
I was at work when I first watched this with no audio. Yowsa!! With no audio, Kent's routine blows away Ricky Jay (which I have only watched with sound). It was very obvious what Ricky Jay was doing and his loads were all easy to catch if you are a magician. I have no idea what Kent is doing. The routine itself beautiful.

When I go home I will listen to it with audio.
I'm sorry I found out Kent's methodology... I was really happy to be so fooled.
TGold,

I think if you showed both Ricky Jay's routine, with that Incredible patter and circular story line, and my rambling routine to a layman:

They'd pick Ricky Jay's routine as the one that was more magical. I really enjoyed his historical bent on the trick. He is a consummate performer. He and I are in entirely different leagues!! I'm flattered by your comments, nonetheless.

I think magicians, with entirely too much knowledge about such matters, like new things best. I'm just happy to have a routine to call my own.

Dynamike:

Alexander DeCova does some very similar things. Denis Behr brought that to my attention. I was unaware of his work, when I came up with the stuff I'm doing. My main inspiration was the work of the incredible Bob Fitch! If you don't have his DVD set on the topit . . . I think you're really missing out on a magical treasure.

Pete . . . I am looking forward to seeing you again at WMS. I hope I can bend your ear and spend a little more time with you this year. I was so keyed up over competing, I was not at my best. I'll bring some Nikon toys this coming year!! The D700 is a thing of beauty. I have some VERY old, manual focus Nikkor lenses that are just too darned much fun!!!
And now there are specially modified cups and balls to go with the routine! :)

http://www.rnt2.com/product.aspx?productno=745
So what's the difference between regular Mendoza cups and these modified ones?
[quote]
On 2008-12-24 08:37, agent61 wrote:
So what's the difference between regular Mendoza cups and these modified ones?
[/quote]

Sounds like a stronger ma***t.
Kent,

I did have a chance to listen to the routine with audio on and with the audio ON, Ricky Jay is definitely better. BUT, with the audio OFF, you are definitely better. I am not exagerating here. Everyone should try this.

I think this just goes to show how important presentation is. Ricky Jay's routine is nothing spectacular technically, but he does maintain a nice story line all the way through and as a result, it builds nicely as entertainment.

Personally, I am big fan of Tommy Wonder as the pompom and the bag disappear right under the audiences noses and then reappear and he also does something unusual with his Cups and Balls in that he involves the audience by revealing the balls on a spectators hand.

I think maybe we as magicians really need to think about taking acting lessons as time and time again it seems that great presentation can take a mediocre trick and turn it into amazing entertainment.
Tgold65,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in your critique. Please post a video of yourself performing the cups and balls.
Tgold,

I knew if you listened to Ricky Jay: then listened to me . . . You have to see/realize/(for me admit!) he is the freakin' man! That presentation of his is witty, charming, educational and darned funny.

Mine . . . none of the above.

He makes his living as an actor. I make mine . . . who cares what I really do for a living, it ain't acting. I'm not signing up for acting lessons. I don't need to compete with Ricky Jay. I'd lose!!!

This isn't about being the best. For me, it's about doing something out of the ordinary. I mean just being a magician. It's a cool and wacky part of my life and I love it.

Ricky Jay - easily the most successful actor who is also a great magician.

Kent Gunn - an old sailor with a weird cups and balls routine.

Ricky Jay focused on the entertainment. I focused on fooling the snot out of magicians. For those magicians, in the know, they still seem to like it. I couldn't be happier.

Point - RJ.

KG
And a happy new year to you Kent... well said.
Hi Kent
Merritt here.... all I can say is I am having fun with YOUR routine... thanks again for your emails
Well, I figure that I'll have to learn this eventually. I have a set of John Mendoza Combo Cups on the way from RNTII and I noticed that they are also selling the Fun Shop ball set separately. They claim that they work with the cups I ordered, but the special cups they sell are supposedly 'tweaked' to work with this specific routine. Does anyone have some insight as to weather I'll be able to do this routine if I get just the ball set to go with my copper cups?

Thanks,
-Miles
[quote]
On 2008-12-28 19:36, milesg wrote:
Well, I figure that I'll have to learn this eventually. I have a set of John Mendoza Combo Cups on the way from RNTII and I noticed that they are also selling the Fun Shop ball set separately. They claim that they work with the cups I ordered, but the special cups they sell are supposedly 'tweaked' to work with this specific routine. Does anyone have some insight as to weather I'll be able to do this routine if I get just the ball set to go with my copper cups?

Thanks,
-Miles
[/quote]

Thanks for asking this Miles! I was wondering the same thing myself.
Miles,

The copper Mendoza cups will not work for a single vanish. I think you could routine the vanish easily and do 95% of the routine, as written. I sure do like that blue ball vanish though . . .

I have not experimented with the aluminum cups RNT2 is selling.

I list the two sets of cups that I know have worked for me, in the instructions I supply. I hope I'm the only source for them. If anyone but me and my girl lulu are supplying either the pamphlet or the pdf, let me know.

Of sets I've personally verified work:

The least expensive set I know of is: The Johnson set.
The best is the cups made by Brett Sherwood.

Epiphany was kind enough to send off a set of the aluminum cups to me, gratis. I doubt they'll make very much money from these sets of cups. I am touched they thought enough of my routine that they came up with a set of cups that works for a very, very reasonable price.

When they get here I'll let you know if they work for the routine. (After reading their explanation on their site, I'm sure they have it right) At 200 bucks, with the custom made ball set that is a steal. The next most expensive set up would be easily more than twice that (Johnson Products set is over 500 with shipping). You'd still have to order a set of balls for 70 or eighty bucks on top of that.

I advise anyone who is starting out to learn the Vernon or Ammar routine. Don't start with my routine. It has too many restrictions and off-the-wall requirements. Plus you can do the Vernon routine with any set of cups. I don't think there are any laymen who would perceive my routine as any different. The effect is the same.
Thanks for your information Kent. I don't intend to start with your routine, but there are some really great methods which I may want to incorporate into my own routine as I become more comfortable with the more standard methods.

I have to agree with you: That blue ball vanish is pretty great! Oddly, it was the only thing I think I figured out when I first watched your routine, but I believe the layman would find it to be the most magical without knowledge of the apparatus. Of course, if my guess as to how the blue ball vanishes is correct, it messes up my theory about how it comes back with the other two. It's all just too good ;)

Really, I think curiosity is getting the best of me and I'll have to buy the pamphlet.
[quote]
On 2008-12-24 02:10, kentfgunn wrote:

Dynamike:

Alexander DeCova does some very similar things. Denis Behr brought that to my attention. I was unaware of his work, when I came up with the stuff I'm doing. My main inspiration was the work of the incredible Bob Fitch! If you don't have his DVD set on the topit . . . I think you're really missing out on a magical treasure.
[/quote]
I have Ammar's Topit DVD. I have Scott Berry's Topit. I will check out Bob Fitch's Topit DVD since you mentioned it.
Kent,
I take my hat off to you and your routine. Most different, most entertaining.
Charlie
The last run of Mendoza coppers have the new gaff installed, it's more than just a M***et. The lastest copper cups will work with the routine by Mr. Gunn.

Epiphany
I guess the routine can't be done with the $100 alluminuim Mendoza cups? since they are selling the tweaked cups as a separate product.
I'll have to find out if I'm getting the latest copper cups. If not, I may have to order a second set in addition to the nice ball set ;)
[quote]
On 2008-12-30 11:45, milesg wrote:
I'll have to find out if I'm getting the latest copper cups. If not, I may have to order a second set in addition to the nice ball set ;)
[/quote]

Miles,
the cups that are on their way to you are from the newest run, they will work.

Epiphany
[quote]
On 2008-12-29 21:07, yin_howe wrote:
I guess the routine can't be done with the $100 alluminuim Mendoza cups? since they are selling the tweaked cups as a separate product.
[/quote]

I'd like to know this as well. These are the cups I purchased too...
[quote]
On 2008-12-31 08:33, agent61 wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-12-29 21:07, yin_howe wrote:
[/quote]

I'd like to know this as well. These are the cups I purchased too...
[/quote]

I also ordered the Aluminum Mendoza Combo cups and am wondering if the set that I will be receiving has been tweaked for the Kent Gunn routine?
Since they sell a set specifically tweaked for that, I'd assume standard Mendozas wouldn't have that feature, but I could be wrong.
Epiphany,
That's the best news I've gotten all year (And just before the year is up!).

Everyone Else,
For those of you who are on the fence about buying Kent's booklet. I just wanted to say that I recently purchased it from Kent and have been absolutely satisfied by what it includes. The information and explanations are clear, simple and at some times quite hilarious. As stated before, it is not a beginners routine, but if you were totally bent on creating something new, I think the material provided would give you plenty of new avenues of thought to create something more simple, yet still unconventional.

-Miles
I received my Aluminum Mendoza cups today and I'm :bg: !!
Thanks Epiphany/RNT2. Finally I have decent cups!
I just checked the RnT2 website. The price of the 'regular' alluminuim Mendoza cups has risen to $125, which puts them at only a $10 difference with the price of the cups 'modified' for Kent Gunn's routine (minus the balls)!
If anybody, on here has ordered and received a set of the Fun Shop Cup and Ball sets from RNT2, please let me know. I have a couple of questions for you.

According to the site, they've sold 15 of the 25 they made. Somebody on here must have been an orderee.

Thanks,

KG
I hope to receive my Mendoza copper combo cups soon and test them with your routine.
Wow! I can't believe it, but I got my Copper cups today! I was ready to wait 6, but it only took 1 month! No doubt they're working hard over there. Thank you everyone at RNTII.

These cups are NICE. So weighty and shiny. I can't wait to start playing with them.

Once I get the Fun Shop balls I ordered, and the extra/different-color balls I requested I'll be able to practice Kent's routine as well as anything else. Good times will be had by all!
I have a set of John Mendoza Combo cups that I received last month, this was before the Kent Gunn Frenzy. Did I get whatever it is everyone is asking for? How would I know for sure?
I guess you'd know for sure by testing your balls in them for compatibility. Without mentioning any secrets though, I suppose you'd have to contact someone at RNTII to find out how your set fit in to their production timeline.

-Miles
[quote]
On 2008-12-30 21:26, Epiphany wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-12-30 11:45, milesg wrote:
[/quote]

Miles,
the cups that are on their way to you are from the newest run, they will work.

Epiphany
[/quote]

Epiphany,

Your message box is full. Can you please check your messages and emails?
Kent -

The YouTube video of you doing the cups and balls seems to have been removed. Is there somewhere else we can view it?
Live at the World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas March 1-4.
That would be nice. On February 28th I'll have to "step out to get some milk," then sneak back on March 5th before the wife misses me...
Last I recall after the RNT2 cup issue Kent pulled his routines off of YouTube.
Herr Muggle,

You are correct sir. I pulled the video from youtube.

To those who've purchased the routine I will make several videos available so they can see what the silly thing looks like. The second edition of the routine will include a professionally shot performance video, on DVD. Unless someone with far better video skills than myself antes up, there will never be an instructional DVD. I simply don't know how to do it. I could do a half-donkeyed job, I won't.

Having a minor sense of loss, about the routine, of late. I didn't want some smart guy reverse-engineering it and releasing it as their own. (Josh the Superfluous, my pal, did figure the entire thing out it in amazingly short time.)

Josh would never do me wrong. Not all smart people make choices the same way.

I apologize to any and all for any anger you may have sensed from me. This little routine has made me many great new friends in magic. Any disagreements I have are with an inordinately small population of people in magic. I hope to resolve even those few cases someday!

I'm available to anyone with a keyboard, via pm on Uncle Steve's board here. I have no enemies, only friends and friends I haven't met yet.

I am very fond of Jake Zimmerman and consider him a friend, to this day.

I would like to thank Pete Biro and Bill Wells for the opportunity to talk about my little trick at the World Magic Seminar. I'm flattered and working very hard on my presentation. I hope to see many of you fine folk there. I do lecture, for a living. I hope to not be too pedantic and to inject some humor. As a matter of fact, if you do show up . . .

I'd wear a seatbelt!

KG
Happy New Year Kent.
Will see you in Vegas.
Your routine is still the one I prefer. I did watch once more the videos that I had saved from Youtube. The evolution between the two is spectacular. Thus, as far as showmanship is concerned, give it a few years of performance.
I think that we should circulate a signatue list requesting you and your routine to be invited at the next FISM. It's new enough. I'll be amongst the first to sign it.
Don't worry about copies, Paul Gertner would confirm that when a routine is way off the beaten path and requires real work, people rarely copy it durably and every magician who counts knows it has your signature printed on it. Ask your friend Josh: he has interesting new C&Bs moves that, not unlike your routine to you, are exclusive with him.
Yippeeeeeeeeee... both Kent and Lawrence WILL BE AT THE WMS in Las Vegas... NOW IF YOU MISS this one you are going to regret it forever. Go to http://www.theworldmagicseminar.com and sign up today.
I can't wait to meet Kent and Lawrence. You too Pete! See you gentlemen!
We all are looking forward to seeing you BOSS!

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 3:49pm
Methinks we, all the Café Cups freaks, need to get to a Café in Las Vegas and do lunch!
Me thinks that's a hellava good idea Pete, count me in!
With all the incredible folks that are planning to attend I may have to opt for a micro recorder so as to avoid hand cramps from all the note taking!
Wow, it's good to hear that Lawrence will be there. One of Laurence's other interests is the Cylinder and Coins, so I hope he'll stick around for my half of the presentation.

`course, you cup guys are invited, too.
[quote]
On 2009-01-20 15:03, Pete Biro wrote:
Yippeeeeeeeeee... both Kent and Lawrence WILL BE AT THE WMS in Las Vegas... NOW IF YOU MISS this one you are going to regret it forever. Go to http://www.theworldmagicseminar.com and sign up today.
[/quote]

Add to this the fact that Vegas room rates have been slashed and WMS rates are now: $67 for March 1 (down from $124), $38 for the 2nd (down from $67), $32 for the 3rd, and $38 for Mar 4. That's an average of $43.75 a night plus taxes and fees down from an average of $81.25.

These folks and these rates are not likely to be repeated in the future.
And the food is good!
I've received and read through Mr. Gunn's routine several times, now. It's brilliant. The best part is, it uses such different methods than the traditional cups and balls approach, that it will amaze laymen as well as those well-versed in the inner workings of Vernon's C&B routine. This is a significant addition to the literature, and a pretty darn slick trick to boot. Thanks, Kent, for sharing.
I'm waiting for the price to come back down!! I did see it when it was still on Youtube and it is an incredible routine...
Dude, PM me. Price never really went up. I got tired of paying Lulu such a huge cut to send out an email, when I do it for way cheaper.

Etienne, I'll sign that petition if it gets me a free trip to FISM!!!
You really want to go to China?
Wow! Pete, Kent, Lawrence, Rannie, and the whole cups and balls session, plus Kent and Curtis's session! I chose a different time for the Invisible Lodge meeting at WMS just to not miss Kent and Curtis's session! This is going to be one heck of a WMS!
Can't wait Father! See you all.
Pete,
I'd go to Beijing in heartbeat. Etienne is a great guy but I know the routine ain't FISM level! That's for guys like Latimer.
With due respect, I think that I know a few things about the C&Bs as well. The routine is FISM level.

Pete, since you were a member of the FISM jury, what say you?
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jul 18, 2009 05:11PM)
I think it's perfect for FISM. It's an innovative, magician fooler. And Kent has found his voice for the patter. What's not to win?
Wouldn't that just be oh so cool! Count my vote for the ol' Sea Dawg!

MMc
Go for it Kent!
AS a multi-year Jurist at FISM's past... I would say you have a good chance to place high in micro magic. But I think the deadline has passed. So, there is NEXT TIME...
Kent's routine is excellent, getting the performances on a DVD would be a great resource.

I had the pdf but due to my PC crashing, I lost it :(

I think I may have to get the DVD.
Tom,

You've just got to make it out on holiday next year for WMS or GGG and see him do it live! Ain't nuttin like it!
That's a plan Mick.

Good one too!
Fenton, Laddie,

Send me an email and I'll get you that pdf back, via email.

KG
Kent, what can I say?

Thank you Sir!

There is an e-mail on it's way to you.

Tom
Now that was easy.
I hear next FISM will be in Blackpool, England. Grrrrrrrrr
Kent,
thanks again my friend.

Mr Biro,
I hope it's not in Blackpool, somewhere clean would be better.