(Close Window)
Topic: what is yours?
What is your favorite walk around / close up routine (effect) you do for kids?
Hi,
I have never been booked to do close up or walk around for kids. However, when I work holiday parks etc. I sell them a kid's magic show, then after a short break I go around table to table and there are kids there but I do my normal close up. Kids seem to love it just the same as the adults and I get more spin off adult close up bookings than I would if I played to the kids. Obviously this is more profitable to me.
phillip
I think that Star Gazer is a great close-up kid effect.
I don't get booked to do walk about close up for kids, but if I'm booked to do walk about balloon modelling and I get a chance I often do a little trick or two. I always have a couple of rubber bands on me and then I can do the Crazy Man's Handcuffs; it always goes down a treat.
This is not the type of performance I usually do either, but my normal kids birthday show is such that I can perform in a walk around situation if need be.

If you are just working from your pockets the 'Judy the Mouse' is a good stand in for Rocky.

Also you don't want to make the same mistake I did about 10 years ago when I was starting out & approach someone with the colour changing pocket knives. :goof:
I love to appear a coin, vanish it, reappear it and turn it into a small size candy for the kid.
Mago Mai
Like you guys, I don't really do close-up effects for kids, but one trick that I do like and always goes down really well in a suitable environment is "spooky hand". It's a kind of automaton hand that moves along a spread of cards and finds a previously chosen card. The kids always freak out!
Mark
I always have these close-up items on me in case I'm spotted in public as "The Magician". (Besides the always-ready TT!)

A bunny paddle, a haunted key, and a three inch wand for the "on the ear" vanish.

This way, I can do anything from one quick trick to a five minute mini-show.

I wrap up by giving them a fortune telling fish with my contact info on the back. They go away happy and you look good to take the time to make them smile.
LWolf, I also LOVE Star-Gazer! I should really break out those instructions again and get some refills!

As for my favorite closeup effect for kids goes...it would have to be spongeballs. I do it in birthday situations as well and everyone loves it. The possibilities that come with a couple little sponges never fails to amaze me. There is a lot you can do and there are many opportunities to make the kid feel special. Just my opinion! :cool:

-Andini :coolspot:
I have done close up for kids maybe five times as a paid show. People don't ask for it much unless it is an event like a school carnival or company picnic where walk around is a better format than a formal show.

Sponge balls are the numero uno in popularity and I'm amazed it wasn't mentioned thus far. I also get a great reaction to the vanishing silk using the ever popular TT.

Speaking of TT, I have used it to reconstruct an opened packet of Equal, twice for kids in a walk around venue and they like that as well.
Sponge balls and a bunny paddle.
Sponge balls, Professor's Nightmare, my children friendly presentation of Card in Mouth. Impossible box (not really a trick but it can be left with someone to play with). I like the idea of using Star Gazer.
I do strolling as part of most party bookings as a little bonus if it's appropriate.
Taking my thumb off! I always have this one on me and ready to go. One of the first tricks I ever mastered!!! :bg: (And I still really do it, kids love it.)

GlenD
I do a quick sponge ball routine and a vanish of a silk with a reappearance in her pocket.
"Kid's Kards" is a good packet trick, very easy. And, I highly recommend Bill Abbott's "Close Up Magic for Kids". He has several brilliant routines that most kids would go crazy for! Unfortunately, my magic student has my copy; must make a note to get it back....
For older kids, "Flash Cash" goes down a treat. "Bendable Pen", "Colour Monte", a ring and rope routine, "Flying Knot", card to wallet, "Invisible Deck", "Sharpie through Anything", and Hot Rod are all winners.
I'm really starting to like Kids Kards, although I find the adults tend to get a bigger kick out of it than the kids. It's a very visual change that really seems to wow 'em. I just learned Crazy Man's Handcuffs, but judging by my own kids' reactions, I think that'll be a winner too.
One of my favourite tricks for anyone, including kids, is the classic 3 card Monte with the bought red and blue diamond cards and the 14 dollar card. So much magic happens in a few minutes, lots of comedy happens, and everyone thinks they have it figured out by the end. The patter draws people in, ie. "What colour would you have picked if you were me?" Because the cards are coloured diamonds instead of regular cards kids can follow it as well.

I don't use LOOPS much but I like to end Crazy Man's Handcuff's by levitating one of the rubber bands. Kids and adults eat this up!

I use colour vision for kids often as well. It is one mentalism trick that they understand.

Card warp is also a winner with kids.

I think right now these are my favourite with kids.
I perform a really nice card effect where a child picks a card. The card is supposed to be the same number as the child's age. If the child is seven, they card selected is a six. From here I perform a series of colour changes where I 'add' an extra spot but it keeps 'falling off'

Lot's of fun for all ages.
Sponge balls kids love it.
CMH/stargazer, or the pearl poodle.
For many years I purposely stayed away from sponge balls because "everyone does them" and I'm better than that, right? Well a couple of years ago after seeing the new (at the time) 3D sponge bunnies, I thought I'd give it a try. That trick is amazing for kids and easily my best close up trick for kids. They call them classics for a reason--because they work!
Sponge Balls have always been a winner. Anytime you can make the magic happen
in someone's hands, it has great power.

Here's another fun walkaround bit... use the fortune telling fish as an opener. It's a great ice-breaker... I just walk up to the group and say, "I have a free gift for everyone here!" Hand out the fish, do a little number like, "hold out your palm,
let it connect with the universe..." and then watch the fish dance.

It's dorky and not really magic but it's very, very fun and everyone loves it.

--Jack
Mark Byrne's Twinkle Twinkle is an incredible strolling routine for kids and families. A fun filled 5 minutes, lots of magic and instant reset.

I recently worked a strolling gig for kids and families, a rotary function with 24 tables of 10 each. I performed a couple different sets including Scotty York's Candy Kiss Machine, a rising card, Kennedy Mystery Box (letting the kids draw pictures on their card, they loved it!) and Twinkle Twinkle, among a few others.
The Candy Kiss Machine went over HUGE but Twinkle Twinkle started to be requested by tables that saw me doing "the magic stars" from as far away as across the auditorium!

I highly recommend Twinkle Twinkle!
I do a lot with coins and make it funny. The kids love it. I have just started doing the same moves with wooden nickels and letting the kids keep it after I am done. BTW the wooden nickels have my information and picture on them. They keep those things longer then a business card :)

~B-Rad
Sponge Bunnies and Hot Rod,
Thanks,
Hansel!
I combine silent coin routines with either music(harmonica, mosquito whistle and washboard tie.)

My walk around and my set shows are very puppet heavy...(he's not heavy, he's my.......actually my John, my size 7 vent figure is pretty heavy and even though he has lots of bells and whistles, John doesn't get out for walk arounds...)
Sponge bunny's IN MOM'S HAND. (Had ears torn off my large end load too many times) And GOT to use a squeaker
Hey guys, this has been super helpful for me, as I'm about to start working at a sort of neighborhood gastropub which has a "family time" couple of hours on the weekends. Lots of what I guess you could call "hipster" parents will be bringing their kids, and it's been a struggle to figure out what I can do that I don't need to lug around a case for (there's really nowhere I can store my bag, etc. and reset will have to be done hiding behind the bar).

I'm actually going to do a couple of Tenyo tricks (we have red pandas at our local zoo, aka firefoxes, and I got the Tenyo version of this guy who is like Rocky Raccoon), along with Angry Sponges, but I am a little concerned with damage to the props :)

Anyway, seems like Twinkle Twinkle is going into the act... plus I love the idea about wooden nickels! Thank you all
D'Lites & spongebunnies
Sponge bunnies.
Sponge balls, hot rod, vanishing silk, chop cup.
Kids or adults, Ball sleights with two different colours and a silk. Works in any environment and you can do up to 6 minutes without repeating.