(Close Window)
Topic: Thimble magic
I have not seen many posts, if any, on thimble magic. I know it is an old style, but I am just wondering if anyone has anything to say on the subject. I try to incorporate all kinds of magic into my routines, and I am looking for tips.
Thimble magic can be fun and has a lot of possibilities.

Very good for close up and parlor type magics.
Rather than approaching someone and asking if they lost a knife, why not a thimble and then going into any of the above.

The can be produced, vanished, multiplied, change colors and be used like a mini cups and balls.

Sure, they're odd to lot's of folks but they're more than just a so, so trick (pun intended).

Unfortunately, often overlooked.
The funny thing is some audiences do not even know what a thimble is?
As Jaz has mentioned you can do a lot with Thimbles.

If you are looking fo a good beginers reference that can still take you far in Thimble Routines, then try and get hold of a copy of the Thimble Magic Booklet by Jean Hugard

All The Best
I remember watching Shoot do some thimble work at the Castle in the close-up room. It wasn't your basic pop-off moves!
I am soon going to be able to re-release my thimble routine... one which Jeff McBride is eager to get... stay tooned.
The Tarbell Course in Magic (Vol. 4 - Lesson 47 - Pages 73 - 101) contains numerous effects with thimbles including sleight of hand methods, gaffs, and a complete Thimble Act. There are also ideas for various holders designed to assist with steals and switches.

Perhaps the Tarbell lesson will give you a good starting point until Pete's routine is once again released.

Hope this helps,

dc
Shoot is very good with these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIXh1zy3Qcs
Steve Beam wrote a great book on the thimble magic of Joe Mogar ("Digital Effects"). Well worth checking out...

Looking forward to more info on Pete's routine, as well.
Hello. Can anyone compare the Joe Mogar "Thimble Dexterity" dvd to the Shoot Ogawa thimble dvd that he has offered? I was just wondering what the pros/cons/differences might be between the two.

I saw Shoot's performance on YouTube, and it looked like he was using some larger thimbles. I currently have a set of Mogar thimbles, but do not have any instructional dvds and was looking to pick one up, and was wondering which one any of you guys might suggest.

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!
Mark
It's 2 different worlds.

Shoot teaches 1 routine.

Mogar's DVD is an encyclopedia.

You might want to check out Gary Darwin's thimble stuff and automatic thimbles for some different takes on the idea.
You might check Sam Berland's Thimble Routines. He also sold complete sets of wooden thimbles--Thimble Jumbo is one that I recall--in addition to his regular printed routines.

His thimbles as supplied were red wooden pieces.

These pop-up on the big auction site every now and then.

Julie
I started with Berland's thimbles. Then I played with Walsh's multiplying Golf Tees (much like thimbles but pointed) then I marketed my own routine through Ken Brooke, called "Pete's Peeper". Entire routine done facing forward, no silly moves and a kicker finish. Jeff McBride is waiting for me to get a set together for him. In the meantime I have come up with a new finish (same effect different prop) and will be trying to get some quantities so we can re-market. Stay tooned.
I agree, get youself a Berland set and you'll be all ready to start, the little box comes with 8 wooden thimbles, a holder, a shot glass, a jumbo wooden thimble, dental dams and the routine booklet, all for like 15 bucks. It's an excellent way to begin. I still do a variation on his routine with my Fakini thimbles, I say they're toothpaste caps.

Eddie
[quote]
On 2008-12-21 10:47, lylemagic wrote:
Shoot is very good with these...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIXh1zy3Qcs
[/quote]
Wow, he sure is...Learn that and you won't need much else.. :) ...
I love Shoot's work and he's a good friend... but what would you do with that routine as far as entertaining a lay audience?
[quote]
On 2008-12-28 06:49, Julie wrote:
You might check Sam Berland's Thimble Routines. He also sold complete sets of wooden thimbles--Thimble Jumbo is one that I recall--in addition to his regular printed routines.
His thimbles as supplied were red wooden pieces.
These pop-up on the big auction site every now and then.
Julie
[/quote]

By the way, it looks like you can still get the Berland thimbles and routine [url=http://www.browsersden.com/catstart.htm]HERE[/url] , and the price is right...although I cannot access their home page at this time...
Oh cool, another magical thing to do with my fingers...I am getting the gear from Mr. Mogar and gonna get to work..this looks really fun. I like the fact that big magic can come from such smallness.
[quote]

big magic can come from such smallness.
[/quote]hmm..

my wife has mentioned this a time or two..packing small and playing big is what close up is all about aint it?
In the last month I watched a great thimble routine and lecture. However, I don't think that the speaker ever knew that he was working with a mirror behind him!

It was still fabulous.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Joe Mogar... nuff said ;)
A friend of mine is great at thimble work. When he dose it people love at and it works. Something else to add he dose a routine with the large pen lid from white board markers as well. Just an idea you could substitute the thumb tips for something else.

For example,
-Foil rolled in to tips.
-Orgarmi cups in minuter.
-Hula Hop crisp ( A type of chip available in the UK)

There are some limitations to some moves by using these but hay just put it out there.
Message: Posted by: NathanManipulation (Aug 11, 2009 03:48AM)
Meh . . . thimbles . . . even though I do thimble magic, the only thimble (+ wand routine) that gets me mad because it is so amazing is by Yo Kato. Check him out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2fnqqF1TAI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNd4SJBjU8w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1bNGkWRxtE

;D
I did some thimble routines for my wife's kindergarten class. The children and the teachers loved it! Many references out there. including Jeff McBride's 3 DVD set, which also has ball and coin manipulation. I got a set of 'automatic thimbles' along with a video... great presentation with multiplication and color changes etc
;D - Thanks Yo Kato is amazing!
My comedy thimble routine is now available. Go to http://www.petebiro.com and clik dthe link to "Pete's Peeper." (blatant plug).
Pete:

I read the description of your thimble routine as marketed through Joe Stevens. The description provided is very sketchy--it simply says it's a "hide and seek" routine. Is there any more detail you could add to that?

Noland Montgomery
Pete, do they come in red?
I will try to post a video. Hide and Seek, ie: the thimble jumps from finger to finger, then thumb and a funny bit that Ken Brooke said was worth the price. Then when they think you have two thimbles you actually have a stack of 10 (see photo on website)

We are working on various colors. Should know early next week.
I absolutely love thimble magic. It is just so easy to keep a few in your pocket. You are ready to perform just about anywhere after learning a handful of sleights.