(Close Window)
Topic: The Cloaking Device- Jay Scott Berry
Greetings...

Any one utilize this fascinating gimmick? I bought the video (mistakenly thinking it came with the gimmick), and after watching the video, I definitely want the gimmick.

It allows you to do what appear to be amazing bearhanded productions and vanishes, including a really cool looking "vortex", where you form an "O" with your fingers, (audience can easily see nothing but fingers all the way through-- an empty hand) and then you can reach in a produce a streamer, or sponge ball, etc...

Joe
:stuckinbag:
Hi Joe,

You had bought the most wonderful production product.

I got the gimmick and its a wonderful stuff to have people who are into manipulation act.

Cloacking Device is also know as Sadana.

Symmatrix :firedevil:
I agree with Symmatrix, it's a great utility device.
Sounds a little similar to now-u-c-it now-u-don't.
Its not really as what you think, redstreak.

Its much more better. Get the stuff and the video. And see for yourself how J.S.Berry perform using cloaking device and it will blow you away...

Cool stuff ..Check it out pal !

Symmatrix :firedevil:
It's nothing like Now-U-C-It gimmick (also known under other names)... with the Cloacking Device, you can even show your hand sideways... nothing is hanging off your hand...
Josef,

If you want another example, check out Scott Guinn's "Peanut Butter and Jelly" sponge ball routine.

I saw Jay recently at a lecture, and I loved it when he produced the sponge bunny. In doing so, he renamed the "vortex" to the "bunny hole"...great for kids!
:bunny:
I saw a picture of the cloaking device on the internet and it doesn't look like it can hold much without looking/feeling bulky. And what is the difference between the cloaking device and the sanada gimmick? :confused: They look very similar.

JBGuy
JBGuy,

Sanada = cloaking device :) Same things.

And, it can hold a surprisingly large item, like a sponge ball or silk.
There is actually one MAJOR difference between the two. I will not disclose the difference, but I will tell you this. If you have ever seen Jay work or lecture, you know how powerful the CD can be. It offers much more versatility than similar gimmicks.

I am not a big fan of Jays type of magic, but I DO appreciate the thought and work he put into the utilization of hand gimmicks. There is a lot to be learned from this man. And he WILL fool you. With gimmicks you thought you already knew. And he will fool you badly.

Later,

Sean
[quote]
On 2003-05-06 16:16, jbguy wrote:
I saw a picture of the cloaking device on the internet and it doesn't look like it can hold much without looking/feeling bulky. And what is the difference between the cloaking device and the sanada gimmick? :confused: They look very similar.

JBGuy
[/quote]

Actually, they are different. The Cloaking device is a slight variation of the Sanada gimmick in that it allows for pre-loading.

The Sanada requires you load as you set in place.

You'll be surprised how much it can hold. Doves and rabbits? No, but anything you use a TT for can be used here. Sponge balls, streamers etc...

JR
The device itself is very clever, however having to hold your hand in an 'O' shape is a little odd. I think there are better ways of doing similar effects that just require some more practice.

However I have seen Jay Scott Berry perform this in a lecture and it fooled the pants off me.
Thanks for the replies to my message. It certainly sounds like a cool gimmick. Does anyone sell it WITH the instruction video or do you have to buy them separately?

Thanks,
JBGuy
I used to do a "false explanation" trick with the sanada gimmick. Perform the vanishing silk with TT. Then show how it was done using the sanada gimmick. Holding the sanada gimmick in your hand, you vanish the silk, actually tucking the silk into the TT. ..."But of course if you could do real magic"... then show that the silk is really gone by showing behind the empty sanada gimmick.
glad you said "used to"...
jbguy-- I have only seen them sold separately, which I think is kinda funky-- it should be offered as a set too...

Adam V: You don't really have to hold your hand in an "O" shape! The function is similar to a TT-- which you have to hold in a fist too! I see it as a one time use during a performance too... in a short routine... so the "O" is not a big deal, as the audience doesn't keep seeing the same thing over and over...

Joe
hat trick,

[quote] Then show how it was done using the sanada gimmick.[/quote]
I was very mildly taking exception as the way I read it was that you used to expose either a TT or a Sanada.
[quote]
On 2003-05-06 20:53, Adam V wrote:
The device itself is very clever, however having to hold your hand in an 'O' shape is a little odd.
[/quote] I have used a Sanada gimmick in connection with a purse frame to produce a sponge ball. Holding the frame between the forefinger and thumb, lends a natural appearance to the "O shape" of the hand. You can make the comment "This is where I keep all my money" and then open the purse frame and say "See how much I have" and let the spectator look through the frame and into your empty hand. This way, they see that your hand is empty without you specifically saying "See, my hand is empty." Then produce the sponge ball, place the frame into your pocket and while there, steal out a second sponge ball and you are on your way to your favorite sponge ball routine. :thehat:
Jay did his routine with the Cloaking Device at our IBM meeting and I think the entire group was completely amazed how he seemingly vanished or made items appear. I think everyone there bought a CD and videos from JSB. Remember, any magic routine takes alot of practice to make it look like real magic. JSB is definitely a perfectionist of his products.

Share the Wonder,

Houdini :sawingchick:
Check out his website at http://www.jayscottberry.com . If you contact him, he may cut you a break on the set of DVD/gimmick.
Trust me, as an owner of the Cloaking device, this is a heck of a lot better than just a old Sanada or TT.
As stated earlier, this man will fool the pants off you using gimmicks you thought you knew inside and out. He is truly amazing if you get the chance to see his live lecture.
Ya, the CD is very clever and you can perform wonderful productions and vanishes. The lightening bill switch is worth the price of the gimmick!

It does take a knack to get used to it. It's worth the practice, though!!!
Much agreed. The Lightning Bill switch looks quite nice.

With C.D.- Streamers, silks, sponge balls, etc. can be vanished/produced from an OPENLY empty hand. Bill switch with no palming or TT and much less folding.
thanks for all the good info folks; will definitely look into it.
Does anyone " tailor" the Sanada or Cloaking device to their hand size, shape, or coloring ?
I know Jay and I think of all of his products the cloaking device is one the best. The appearances and vanishes look like real magic.

Fantastic and highly recommended.

TM
http://www.brtmagic.co.uk
http://www.robert-temple.co.uk
Don't let Jay fool you, like all good magic the gimmick only does some of the work, you won't be doing what he does with this gimmick without practice. Of course that is the way it should be.

I will also chime in with see his live lecture if you ever get the chance. Talk about inspiration, he makes you believe magic is real. Fooled the best of us with the simplest things. I know my mouth was dry after watching probably because of
this----> :wow:
[quote]
On 2003-06-02 12:28, Nicodemus wrote:
Does anyone " tailor" the Sanada or Cloaking device to their hand size, shape, or coloring ?
[/quote]

I modified it to better fit my hand, per the instructions in the video.

As for practice, I walk around during the day with this thing on me, practicing "moves" over and over... no one notices...

Joe
I own the gimmick and love it.
Highly recommended but to perform it as well as Jay, it needs practise.
Jay cut mine to the size of my hand at a convention and it fits perfectly.

thanks

George
Not the best if you are doing scott guinn's pb&j because of its size and color. other than that it is ok. I would first get comfortable with a regular sandana gimmick and then give this a shot.

jsb's is comfortable, but if you do close up stuff with it like the pb&j routine you'll will really have to watch your angles and this may result in some unfortunate telegraphing.

oliver
I'd love to know what you guys that like the cloaking device are smoking and also where I can get some?

Its a 2$ finger shell/sanada gimmick with a fancy new name. BETTER yet, I ALREADY owned one before buying this "NEW improved device". So I wasted the 20$ obviously.

I bought this as FS2 gimmick, an amazing NEW device.

Finger shells, even in his modified form have been around a long time. I think his
written descriptions of his effects are very misleading. Why not just say the gimmick is an improved finger shell? Oh yeah,then you couldn't get 20$ for it I guess...

You can go to any magic shop and get this for 2-4$ I'm very dissatisfied with that purchase, as well as my "eclipse tip" and tip dropper his stuff,its all junk.

I have purchased and am very pleased with his pockets and topits set, but the rest of his products I think he should be more honest about.

"eclipse tip is an improvement on a time honored magician's prop."
Really? looks and works like any other soft thumbtip to me, no difference at all.

I've spent thousands buying and collecting tricks and props. Part of me is insane and I want everything, so when I found Jay's products I started buying them all,
one by one. All I can say is save your money, because he has nothing new to
offer the magic community, just new clever names to ancient props and gimmicks.

I will say his customer service is excellent, but his products, with the exception of the pockets and topits set, are all junk. of course he wouldn't take any of
his trash/junk back since I was buying the "secret"

Hey Jay, what if I already bought these secrets years ago at 10% of the price you
charged me, can I have 90% of my money back?

Flame me if you like, I speak the truth, and someone should before more people waste money buying gimmicks they probably already own.

NEW fancy names to resell old gimmicks, I should try that. Here are some ideas :

The crow (for my raven rippoff) (129.00$)
The blundy 500 (hundy 500) (79.95$)
The Rat (for the bat) (59.99$)
The thumbulator (thumbtip) (19.95$)
Enchanted Goblets and spheres (cups and balls) (99.00$)

I'll begin taking orders for my new and improved gimmicks/tricks at a 300% markup since it worked for Jay the same rules should apply.

POOF!

Steven

(Poof!)

Steven
I was at a Jay Scott Berry's lecture with the sanada, flip tip, and toppit. Very well done.
I didn't know the thumbulator was going to be released...i'll take two.

oliver
Thanks Steve (Haywire) for your 13 June 2005 response...it is refreshing and helpful to have your feedback/comments..

I find your response far more valuable than the uncritical accolades given by the (so many ) contributors who seem to have allowed themselves to become bliss-ninnies in thrall to Mr Berry.

Thanks for the independence you provide.

Madelaine
Jeez, I went to penguinmagic to see if they had it in stock, and the picture they have for it, you can totally see what it is!
Hi haywire. first of all I appreciate that this is a free country. you are free to say whatever you think. However, how many card guys come up with a "new" card deck which is just a twist on a prior deck and charge 50 $ for it.? I WANT TO SAY THAT JAY SCOTT BERRY HAS INNOVATED HERE, SOME OF THE GREATEST GIMMICKS IN MAGIC. IF YOU SEE HIS LECTURE, THIS APPLIES TO BILL SWITCHES. THINK of all the time spent on a bill switch with a TT. sorry, he makes it way easier and much cleaner.

I do think one of his weaknesses is ..." however having to hold your hand in an 'O' shape is a little odd. I think there are better ways of doing similar effects that just require some more practice. " but if you think of some of his innovations and see how he hides the device outside of this position, we have to say that he is one of the great innovators in magic. what small device could you NOT USE WITH PARTICULARLY HIS DIFFERENT SANADA VERSIONS. SO WE HAVE TO GIVE HIM CREDIT. FOR BEING ONE OF THE MOST PRACTICAL GREATEST INNOVATORS IN MAGIC. THERE IS ALMOST NO END TO THE USES HIS DEVICES CAN BE PUT TO. WHAT PRICE SHOULD WE PUT ON THAT.? WITHOUT JAY, WE WOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS TO USING THESE DEVICES TO EVEN CLOSE TO THEIR FULL POTENTIAL.
I just started working with jay's Cloaking device for the $100 bill switch and I agree with COUNTRYMAVEN its amazing and better than the TT. He realized and inovated with the Sanada to improve its ability and utility
Where did you get it? I would like one, I sent a message to him on messenger, but received no response