(Close Window)
Topic: Catsup Bottle Vanish Outdated
Hi everyone,

I think I will soon retire my vanishing catsup bottle routine. These days it's almost impossible to find a real glass catsup bottle. The new bottles are shaped different funky ways and some even sit upside down on a large cap. They are also made of plastic, which further dillutes the impact of a complete vanish. Do any of you feel the same way, and do you have an alternate bottle vanish. I have always loved this routine, but, times have changed.
I don't know where you are from but here in the Pacific Northwest virtually every restaurant still has the old glass style Ketchup bottles on the table. In fact that is the only place you can find them as the glass ones are for commercial use only these days. Even though the traditional glass bottles are not readily available, everybody still knows what they are and I have never had anyone question my using one. I would say that if you enjoy doing the effect and the audience still enjoys seeing it, then keep using it as it really doesn't matter if your ketchup bottle matches theirs.
Yes, I agree, sad to say sometimes a great trick has to be retired because "Times....
they are a changing." Consider replacing it with the Coke bottle. I use it in a cardboard six pack style Coke bottle holder, along with a real bottle and a few empties for that clink sound.

I know how you feel. Like saying goodbye to an old and reliable friend, it is a sad day. For years I did an elaborate routine that contained Abduls fez, (egg bag) a twenty foot flower garland, and the color changing records. Even had an official metal record stand. Remember those wire contraptions. Nowadays, "...records? What's that?"

Show's over... move along :)
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (May 11, 2003 02:32PM)
Cabrera: I've been out to eat twice since reading this..... PLASTIC is all I saw. I'm reluctant to buy any gaffed money for a similar reason.

Frankft: Is there a way to do a color changing MP3 file?

sigh,
-Josh
Cabrera,
It will probably be another entire generation or two before the glass ketchup bottle is gone and forgotten.
So I don't think you really have anything to worry about.
Some things, though, really SHOULD be retired: Color-changing records (who knows what a record is anymore?); the vanishing radio (about the size of a small car!), and so on.
But the glass ketchup bottle's day is far from over.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (May 12, 2003 09:55AM)
Should we add any aluminum multiplying type bottles to the list? They never looked right, and even less so nowadays.

I think Peter is being optomistic with "two" generations. I agree that it's not dead yet. But I wouldn't use it in a resturant that had a different kind. The catsup bottle is an early eighties period piece. Now if you could turn a "normal" bottle into one made of glass, you might have something.

-Josh
I just saw someone do that effect yesterday & it got a tremendous response. I think it still has many years left before it's classified with the big red boxes with gold dragons stenciled on them.........
I think it's great that so many people are ready to retire their vanishing ketchup bottles!

That means that those who are left will have a wonderful trick all to themselves!
If you are retiring your ketchup bottle, please send it to me! :)
No kiddin'! I'll also take a "retired" ketchup bottle! :wavey:

P.S. The last four restaurants I ate in, they had glass ketchup bottles. (I know this because my daughter and I always order fries, and I have to put her ketchup on her plate for her) I'm more optomistic about the longetivity of this trick.... :swordbasket:
Lately I've been looking for glass bottles, and yes some restaurants still do have them. However, try a grocery store and you'll see nothing but plastic. You guys are right, there still is some longevity to the trick.
But how long???
Costco still sells the classic glass ketchup bottles by the case.
If your concerned just stock up on a few cases and start leaving them at restaurants that have gone to the plastic bottles.
Why get rid of it? You can talk about what used to be, make it part of your story this will give the bottle a life of it's own. Also everything old or out of style comes back.
Exactly. What smile4wandini said! You vanish it right? So... talk about how this type of bottle is outdated and has practically vanished!

Add a poignant, "Ahh... those were the good old days... weren't they?" kinda patter as you look at the audience members your age and above...

You could even have those vanishing records and radio, Peter was talking about and vanish them too as part of a whole routine!

Not a bad idea if I do say so myself! Try it why don't you and tell us about it!

:goodluck:
Good idea for a Nostalgia magic show using classic tricks and items from the past. I could even vanish my out dated computer!
A magician that posts on another board goes by the name "Big Daddy Cool" and does an entire show with a 1940's theme. I've never seen the show but I bet it's filled with records and glass ketchup bottles.
Edd
Ah... Dare I say it...

"Great Minds think alike..."

:goof:
I do a bottle vanish as part of a longer routine. Sometimes it's a beer bottle, sometimes it's a Coke bottle and sometimes it's catsup. It just depends on the venue. Part of my routine involves the reproduction of a real bottle which I give away. I can still find glass catsup bottles at a few supermarkets but they're getting more scarce by the day. The people that run a local steak house also use glass and they help keep me supplied. Since I need these things I notice them when I see them and they are to be found pretty often in restaurants. At least for a little while longer...
I saw our friend Payne in his Harry Potter show this weekend. He uses the catsup bottle in a Transformation Spell routine with a volunteer.

All the kids in the audience knew what it was and it played well.
I use the catsup bottle everey show and not once has anyone told me that it was outdated or comentented on its style. It kills every time. By the way here in Wilkes-Barre Pa. I have seen these bottles still being sold in grocery stores. They were however about twice the cost of their plastic counterparts and hold only about half the quantity.

While we are on the subject has anyone other than myself noticed that the restaurant bottles of this style are now made in red. I suppose this way they never look empty. Perhaps they would lend themself to uses of a more magical nature.

Ronald R. Romiski
Ask the question "Do the children in my audiences know what it is?" If the answer is "Yes", then you should be able to get at least one more generation's worth of use from it. As a much wiser man than I once said "Don't run if you're not being chased".

Amos McCormick
So Ketchup bottles are old fashioned?

Luckily us magicians are up to date with our ultra modern props like top hats, canes and silk hankercheifs.

I live in Australia where kids don't even know what Ketchup is and my routine still works.

Incidentally, do people ALL use paper bags with the Neilson bottles or are other bags useful?
I suppose you could use a plastic bag for vanishing the catsup bottle, but I prefer to use two paper bags showing the bottle in one shaking this one and flick my finger in the second one and stating the bottle has moved from one to the other and you now do the hard part by making it return. The kids are not satisfied because they did not see it in the second bag. You now get yourself caught switching the bags, admit that this is not a good trick anyway, and crush and discard the bags. You will get gasps every time.
I always wondered why no one used a real catsup bottle for the old trick with a rope in the vase. You could talk about how the glass used to make catsup bottles has more grip... you ever try to get catsup out of a bottle??? Etc. etc.

What do you think friends? :stout:
As a side-note, The movie “Bogus” starring Whoopie Goldberg, Gerard Depardieu, and Haley Joel Osment is available in DVD. I was the chief magic consultant for the movie, which features a lot of great magic, everything from a Cirque de Soleil style flying levitation to a pen through coin. Jonathon and Charlotte Pendragon, John Thompson, and Tony Clark also worked on the movie.

One of the strongest pieces is a very young Haley Joel Osment vanishing a catsup bottle.
I agree. Whit, I have seen that film and that is what made me buy a vanishing ketchup bottle!
I now own the Budweiser, champagne, coke full, and coke empty!
This is a great trick!
And here in England they still use glass bottles in some food places! Although those little packet things are taking over... but on a happy note you can still buy the glass ketchup bottle in every supermarket! Why you ask? Because for some reason they are about a third cheaper than the plastic squeezable ones... hummm strange!
By the way, it was a nice point to mention the top hats and silks ;)
Long live the vanishing ketchup (catsup for USA guys) bottle!
All the best,
Steve Dela
First off, I think that the ketchup bottle is still a very recognizable item. I can normally go into Denny's and find them still using the glass bottles.

Second, I use Martin Lewis' version of vanishing it. It gets a very big reaction and actually draws people in and then fools them bad. I just tell people that is what I used as my "first" magic trick that I did to my folks. Hope that helps some. It’s a great trick!!!

Robert Long
May your dreams be touched by magic. :magicrabbit:
Howdy- Don't forget The New Bottle Book for many other uses for your bottle. Mirror bottles, loads,kids stuff (George Murray's work, Adult comedy (Wino Shuffle)and even mentalism (Ernie Guderjahn's 'It's In The Bag' is a full-stage stunner piece of mentalism that only takes 5 bottles and 5 paper bags - well worth the $150 you'd spend on it.)...and Tony Clarks jaw dropper: Lay a silk on your hand, produce a bottle from it. Immediately visually split the bottle into two bottles...keep one and hand the other out, cause that one is real.
Anyway...the book is loaded with other things to do other than just vanish the bottle. Well worth getting, but I'm biased on the subject. I like to remind people cause they forget there's an inexpensive book out on the subject.
Most classy hotels deliver room service hamburgers with the Tiny Glass ketchup bottle. I like to shrink the bottle and (sucker) grow it back and forth in the bag and end with the bag discarded and the little bottle given away as a gift.
For some reason they examine the hard little bottle as if it actually has some gaff to it and it takes the heat off the discard.
You may want to consider doing the rising wand from the bottle...... and then....... vanish the bottle. Provide a double whammy and a ketchup chaser...... Cheers....... :band:
Good old tricks never die. I still have two vanishing 32 oz. Coke bottles. Coke would be proud. I still used them because it is still magic. Only the real 32 oz. Cokes are gone!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I;m glad to hear I'm not alone in my search for a glass keytchup bottle.

Here in indiana, I have not seen them anywhere. I go in the grocery store and with haunted eyes search in vain for the blessed beautiful glass ketchup bottle, but alas, they are not to be found.

I think that since so many people nowadays are familiar with the plastic bottles they put ketchup in, they will assumr the gimmick one you are using is plastic also.

What you need is a REAL glass bottle you can bang on the table to demonstrate its solidity, then perhaps switch it for the Neilson bottle before the vanish.

The other way to prove it's solidity is to vanish the fake, then reproduce it, of course the reproduced bottle is the real glass one that you bang on the table to prove it's solidity and glassiness.

I purchased mine from Abbotts, and it wasn't cheap for an illusion that I have to now leave out.

But I would just LOVE to be able to add that effect back in my show.

If there are people on this post who have access to the glass bottles, perhaps you would be willing to sell me one? I'm dead serious on this!

If you even sell it empty, that would be fine, because I could easily refill it upon receipt!

If you are willing to sell please PM!
Some resturants still use the glass bottles. Check out a few resturants in your area. Yes, many are switching but not all. Then empty it and paint the inside. I had a friend who painted his, he went to the paint store and had them match the color exactly.

Bill
Daffy, I think this is another case of running when not being chased. The plastic bottles look like plastic The Neilsen bottles look like glass. Get the bottle book, there are ideas in it so that you can clink the van. bottle...one of which is glueing a large painted fender washer to the bottom of the bottle. It will sound real when you set it down.

Go ahead and add it back into your show...the audience will tell you when it's time to remove it. If the response is still good, then there is nothing to worry about. When they sit there are snort at you, then remove it. Til then, it's still a great trick, use it while you can. Enjoy. Get the book, its only about $15 or so.
Tom,

Who sells the book? I havn't heard of it until your mention.

And I would still like to have a real glass one to reproduce at the conclusion of the effect.
Just a quick note...If you haven't seen Rich Marotta do his routine, then you should probably take a look at it. His routine is kind of a "Sucker" effect, using the introduction of 2 bottles one real Salad dressing bottle and the other being the Vanishing Catsup bottle. On his video tape (Vol.1 Stand up comedy and Magic)Great tape by the way... He goes over the subtleties of his handling of the catsup bottle. The key subtlety of his routining is that he places the other bottle down on the table next to him with a very audible "Clunk". The audience then "Buys" the idea that the other bottle too is real because of this very clever ploy.He never mentions the solidity of the bottle, he just plunks it down on the table.
As to the idea of giving up this great prop and trick due to the diminishing production of glass bottles I think that's ridiculous. I do this trick all the time and the ONLY comment I get after my show is... Where the @#$*&#$ ??? did the catsup bottle go? You can't ask for a better response than that!
Your friend in magic,
illuzns
Daffy-

Many dealers have the New Bottle book, and if not, then Norm Neilsen has it...call him in LV or go to his website. Nielsen Magic. If you want a glass one to finish with, you might consider Tony Clark's GREAT bottle effect: throw a silk over one hand, lift it and a bottle is standing on yor hand. Immediately reach up and split the bottle into 2 bottles (one of which is real, you can give it away!), then vanish the other one with the usual method...if you need a reproduction, use a glass one to reproduce from somewhere else...Tony's handling is in the Bottle book. This one looks great even closeup!

Hmm...maybe having a stock of glass Catsup bottles might be a good idea. Now, the problem with that is minor: real catsup does NOT look like catsup! Real catsup is dull and dingy colored and looks terrible from stage... I was working at Nielsen Magic at the time the Catsup bottle was developed, and I had to choose the color for the full bottle (Norm being off to Europe to perform)...and I had to choose a color that people THOUGHT catsup looked like, not what it actually did look like.

I think catsup used to look bright red when they used to add some nasty food dye to it...now: dingy dull. Now you may actually have to paint the inside of the real bottle to imitate the fake one. Life imitating Art? If I can locate real glass bottles, I'll PM you.

Do you have restaurant supply houses near you? 'Smart & Final'? They may stock them,and if you don't want to buy a case at a time, they may be able to tell you who has them around town...
Here's a tip for those of you who do this...I'm not sure if this is in the book that Tom mentioned (it could even be in the instructions that came with the bottle, it's been so long that I'm not sure). However, when I purchased mine one of the guys there told me that this was a technique Norm himself used.

Take two paper bags and then nest them. However, place a layer of aluminum foil in between the two bags. Now, when you do the vanish, you can throw the bag over your shoulder and have it land on the floor, with no fear of it opening.

And no, I don't think it will go out of style anytime soon. But, only time will tell...

Zach
[quote]
On 2003-06-14 14:35, wizardofsorts wrote:
A magician that posts on another board goes by the name "Big Daddy Cool" and does an entire show with a 1940's theme. I've never seen the show but I bet it's filled with records and glass ketchup bottles.
Edd
[/quote]

No Ketchup Bottles, and no records. But I have been thinking about records lately... I do have a lot of bottles though, and flasks, and martinis and cocktail shakers...

As for the glass bottles. Any moderate to high end establishment uses glass bottles. Only low end use plastic.
Keep the ketchup dream alive!

thank goodness hey stil use the glass versions in the UK - I love this effect
I think it is Outdated. I have use it for about 20 yrs.
[quote]
On 2004-06-27 22:25, Magicusa wrote:
I think it is Outdated. I have use it for about 20 yrs.
[/quote]
Yes it's out dated, like the Linking Rings, Chinese Sticks, Cups and Balls and most other classics of magic. After all, half the props that magicians use doesn’t look like anything vaguely associated with reality. That does not preclude their use however!
There is a way to work even dated things like records in your act if you use just a tiny bit of imagination! Someone posted in another forum that they were having a problem when they asked audiences it they knew what a vinyl 45-rpm record was. Some folks recognized it but kids were dumb founded. My solution would be to produce a CD and say; "You know it's amazing how much things have changed since I was a kid. I bought this CD, which is a piece of plastic with songs on it! This one has 18 songs on it! When I was a kid, songs came on plastic disks too, they were called records and this is what they looked like (show one of the records) and this one only has one song on it. You don’t see Records much today, but in my day they were the only way to enjoy the magic of music!”
When I was doing Nielsen's vanishing bottle starting back about 16 years ago it was with the 10 oz. Coke Bottle a long lost icon of Americana. I talked about the significance of these in my childhood and how one of the first magic tricks I ever performed was with this iconic bottle. No one ever said that they didn't know what it was or didn't get, because with a little creative scripting I told them what they needed to know so they could buy into the illusion. That's what our job as magicians IS! Get them to buy into the fantasy of the impossible. When Coca Cola reintroduced the bottle size and design, it almost ruined my presentation script which now had to be modified to include that the bottles were now available again.
Hope this helps.
I'm keeping it in my act...

right between the diminishing 8-track tape and the floating pet rock effect.
Tonight folks I had one of those audiences------

you know the type, where every punch line hits home with ease, you get feedback at all the right places, and everyone has a jolly good time.

well, don't ask me how, but I managed to get 8 minutes of laughs with this nielsen classic.

I am by no means as much a seasoned professional as many of my mentors on this great forum, but I just worked the crowd better than ever.

let the ketchup bottle live on!
[quote]
On 2003-06-05 21:49, Cabrera wrote:
Lately I've been looking for glass bottles, and yes some restaurants still do have them. However, try a grocery store and you'll see nothing but plastic. You guys are right, there still is some longevity to the trick.
But how long???

[/quote]
I just did a little table work in a restaurant on Monday and found a nice glass bottle (just like my vanishing one) on every table.

I have found that very few upscale restaurants have gone to plastic or the squeeze bottles. The owner of the restaurant told me that I would not find many “tablecloth” restaurants using plastic bottles.

So, the fact that grocery stores would rather not handle glass (I do not blame them), has not (as yet) effected my work.

Bob
I live in Pittsburgh Pa. where they make Heinz Ketchup so the bottle is very familiar.
I know this is a little off-topic, but the vanishing catsup bottle brought this to mind:

'The Squirting Catsup Bottle', if that's what it's really called. You all should know the gag...

Squirt catsup at somebody, but it is only red string.

Well I found the perfect time and place ta use it: at the McDonalds or Burger King drive-through. You know, when they ask ya if you want ketchup, just say you have your own, show it out your window, and squirt!

You will get screams and possibly make the poor person jump outta their skin. Hehehe.

Johnny
Many restaurants keep, wash and refill Heinz glass bottles many times. Restaurant supply houses even sell a special rack for refilling them. It's much more economical (in space savings) to have a few large containers of catsup on your shelves than cases of more expensive disposable plastic bottles. For that reason alone the glass bottle will stick around for a while yet.
On a side note, I'm surprised no one even mentioned Pete Biro's idea of incorporating the old "prayer vase" using an empty bottle... that's the first time I've ever heard a logical introduction for that effect. Man of a million ideas!
I came up with a gimmick that can allow you to vanish a whole bag of NOISY Nielsen beer bottles. I'll be posting it as a freebie soon in Triple Dare but, bottle workers who love the bottles, if you want a peek, PM me. :)
New Life to the old NVB!
Doug
Okay, salsa has replaced ketchup as the number one condiment. But, it's nasty on fries and makes for soggy buns. Where are you guys eating... The Grease Glob where nothing is fresh and the flies cost extra due to the added protein?
If I ask for ketchup, anywhere USA, I am always served a Nielsen type Heinz ketchup bottle, never a squeeze bottle.
Just for the record, unless Norm has hijacked the kitchen at Berghoff in Chicago, they put out several dozen real glass Heinz catsup bottles at 11:00 a.m. CDT today.
[quote]
On 2003-05-11 00:11, Frank Tougas wrote:
Yes, I agree, sad to say sometimes a great trick has to be retired because "Times....
they are a changing." Consider replacing it with the Coke bottle. I use it in a cardboard six pack style Coke bottle holder, along with a real bottle and a few empties for that clink sound.
[/quote]

I can't think of the name, but I've got the trick where the Coke stays in the bottle until you order it to pour out. Problem is, although the Coke bottle "shape" is an icon at this point, you can't really find little glass bottles of Coke like the prop anymore! At least not in my area. I was considering trying to make the trick for myself in a larger 20oz size, only to find that you can't find glass bottles in that size and I don't know how well a plastic one would work!

[quote]
On 2004-07-06 09:50, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-06-27 22:25, Magicusa wrote:
I think it is outdated. I have used it for about 20 yrs.
[/quote]
Yes it's outdated, like the Linking Rings, Chinese Sticks, Cups and Balls and most other classics of magic. After all, half the props that magicians use don’t look like anything vaguely associated with reality. That does not preclude their use however!
There is a way to work even dated things like records in your act if you use just a tiny bit of imagination! Someone posted in another forum that they were having a problem when they asked audiences it they knew what a vinyl 45-rpm record was. Some folks recognized it but kids were dumbfounded. My solution would be to produce a CD and say; "You know it's amazing how much things have changed since I was a kid. I bought this CD, which is a piece of plastic with songs on it! This one has 18 songs on it! When I was a kid, songs came on plastic disks too. They were called records and this is what they looked like (show one of the records) and this one only has one song on it. You don’t see records much today, but in my day they were the only way to enjoy the magic of music!”
[/quote]

Very nice, although techncially the 45 has two songs on it! :)

That was a trick trivia question I saw once: how many grooves are on a 45 rpm? People were guessing multiple thousands until someone pointed out there's ONE groove, on each side, in a spiral. :lol:
Used it at elementary school Thursday and kids recognized it from the stage. Still alive and well here in Texas.
It's the same for me. There are still restaraunts around here that use the glass bottles. And even if they stop making them from glass altogether, I will still use my bottle. (See Bob Sanders' post above)

Regan
Does the Nielsen coke full bottle look like real coke?
[quote]
On 2005-04-25 04:57, Candini wrote:
Does the Nielsen coke full bottle look like real coke?
[/quote]

Yes.

However, keep in mind that it is a Stage effect , not intended for close-up . (though it certainly can be used in a living room/parlor magic situation . A few feet of distance is enough) . Take a look at the photos on nnmagic.com
Thanks David....I went ahead and ordered the empty Coke today. I understand the label for the empty coke is built into the vinyl and won't wear.

Thanks!
Here's a little idea I use when vanishing the sauce bottle.
After the first false vanish I say, “I'll do it again, and this time to make it even harder I will remove the cap.”
Remove the bottle cap and place it aside. Look down into the bottle and act a little worried. Whenever I perform in a home with an expensive carpet, this is a wonderful situation!

Say your magic spell or whatever, and as you aparently tip the bottle upside down, quickly place your hand into the bag and place your thumb over the open bottle top. You don’t want to spill the imaginary sauce, do you?

Tip the bag and bottle upside down, keeping your thumb over the bottle opening. “Once again the bottle . . ” (bring out your hand and suck the end of your thumb) . .”Has vanished from the bag!”

The turning of the bag and the business with the thumb convinces the audience you have a bottle full of sauce and this builds up to the climax. To finish off place your hand over the bag and slowly and deliberately squash it flat. The bottle has vanished. One final touch . . . stick a disc of red paper inside the bottle cap. As you place the cap aside it will appear to have sauce on the inside, just like a real sauce bottle would.
[quote]
On 2003-06-29 09:19, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:

Incidentally, do people ALL use paper bags with the Neilson bottles or are other bags useful?
[/quote]

This was posted quite a while ago on this longish thread, but I recently discovered a great bag to use for the Nielsen catsup bottle.

A convenience store in my neighborhood has begun using white paper bags with CLEAR PLASTIC WINDOWS. Apparently this is to discourage cheating in the checkout line.

These make the vanish MUCH MORE VISUAL.

If the paper is translucent, you might want to paste a bit of typing paper on the inside.

You can also make lightweight, compressable things (sponge balls, etc) appear in these bags.

VERY COOL !!!!!!!!

:magicrabbit:
Unless if you're performing in a grocery store, I don't find any reason to retire your catsup bottle effect. Catsup in a bottle will still last for a long time. But if your serious on retiring it. I'm willing to keep it for you. :)
Okay, I worried about the Ketchup bottle issue back in March. So I emailed Heinz to find out. Below is their response to me, and you may find it of interest:

---------------------------------------------------------------
March 10, 2005

Dear Tim,

Thank you for visiting our web site. There are no plans to discontinue our Heinz Foodservice Ketchup 14-ounce Tabletop Bottle.

These bottles are only supplied to the foodservice trade and are not available for retail sale.

Heinz is unable to conduct direct sales to individuals. However, you may wish to contact a foodservice distributor in your area who may be willing to sell the product to you by the case on a cash-and-carry basis.

Additionally, there is an Internet Food service wholesaler (not affiliated with Heinz North America) that handles many Heinz foodservice products, selling direct, via the Internet. Perhaps they may be of some assistance in obtaining this product. They can be contacted at by phone at 1-757-245-7675, by address at Foodservicedirect, Inc., 905 G Street, Hampton VA 23661 or online at http://www.Foodservicedirect.com

Thank you again for your interest and continued patronage.

Heinz Consumer Resource Center
Heinzconsumeraffairs@us.hjheinz.com
---------------------------------------------------------------
I still think there's a market (and judging from this forum, I'm right) for vanishing bottles made like the squeeze bottles. I'd do it myself, but I don't know how!

As an aside, I was watching a Laurel & Hardy short from the early 30's. On the kitchen shelf were all sorts of bottles, and the one that looked exactly like today's was the Tabasco sauce ... 70 years and still using the same design! Perhaps this as a vanishing bottle could be a little close-up item with staying power?
With so many regional and store brands of products today, does it really matter?

Go with Hershey's syrup!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2007-02-06 14:44, Bob Sanders wrote:

With so many regional and store brands of products today, does it really matter?

Go with Hershey's syrup!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

[/quote]

Now there's an idea!!! Hey Norm......

Regan
Source for Ketchup Bottles:
I was just faced with this problem this weekend. Glass ketchup bottles are nowhere to be found (foodservicedirect.com no longer stocks glass bottles either). Here on the West Coast we have a chain of 50's-style diners called "Johnny Rocket's." I gave the manager a guest pass to a private club, and he gifted me with 2 glass bottles. Yipeee! So that's my advice for finding Heinz glass ketchup bottles. Call a place with a retro theme and show 'em some magic.
Peace
Even if the glass ketchup bottle were to become obsolete, you could simply use it for your patter. Explain how the glass ketchup bottles used to be on every restaurant table when you were growing up, but now plastic is taking over. State that with the way plastic is growing in popularity, one day the glass ketchup bottles will be completely GONE! (hence the vanish of the glass ketchup bottle)

Now I want find one of these vanish ketchup bottles...
I noticed that the ketchup bottles are no longer on Norm Nielsen's site. I wonder if he's discontinued making them.

Ron
Oh no....say it ain't so!
I have the full Coke bottle, and I love it. I do think it would be wonderful if Norm could make a modern 20 oz "plastic" bottle though.
I use the catsup bottle in my corporate show and it still plays very big.I wish Norm still made the minature catsup bottle.anybody have one for sale let me know.
These are great posts. I wish I hadn't just dropped $40 on the Nielson bottles. Oh well. . .
Someone is selling some of these bottles on eBay for about $17!
The Heinz Neilson Ketchup bottle is no longer made. I have been in some restaurants that still have glass Heinz Ketchup bottles. However, even if they did not, I still love performing with it.
I got lucky and was at a Magic store. I was going through the used section and in the corner spotted a tube. It was a Brand New Heinz Vanishing Ketchup Bottle. I bought it on the spot!
I thought the same as others. Since most are now made of plastic, the effect may not have the same impact. I was surprised. I did a routine with it and it got Ohhs! and Ahhs!
Mine looks like glass and it looks full, so I guess people still like it. I do not think it is outdated because my audiences still enjoy it and I like performing with it. I would not sell mine for $1000.00. Keep the Vanishing Ketchup Bottle Going! Cheers!
Actually, The Vanishing Ketchup Bottle is so outdated. Since all the ketchup bottles in stores are plastic nobody reacts when you vanish the Neilson Vanishing Ketchup bottle so I recommend no other Magicians do this anymore! It is a very weak lame trick. This will allow me to do this without any competition! Cheers!
The shape of the bottle does not matter, if you prove it is real. The book for the bottle has ideas on how to prove the bottle you are handling is real, like go to the hardware store and purchase a large metal washer. Attach it to the bottom of the bottle, and just place it on a table so it makes noise like it is solid. Then complete the vanish.

Plastic Ketchup bottles they use today will not silently crumble in a paper bag, or even be able to fold it.

If you are not getting a response at the climax of the effect, then you are not presenting it so you get the audiences reactions. I usually get at least one woman in shock over the vanish. That is all I need, as the other ladies usually join in with the responses.

So, work on your presentation and routine. This not a self working trick, you have to also convey your expressions to the audiences. You are a showman, not just a guy not wanting to be there.
Yes. You can use a washer to "prove that it is real. You can also use a blotter and put real ketchup in the lid and open the top, stick your finger in and lick real ketchup as well. However, For me, I have a strong belief in the old saying, "Why Run When Nobody is Chasing You!" I just did this a few days ago with no modification to the bottle.
Hear is the reaction I got. First, was Ohhs! Then I got hand claps. Most were Adults in the audience. Then one Boy Yelled at me, " Where Did The Ketchup Bottle Go?! That shows me that he was completely Fooled! I am also select in where and when I perform it. Bill is spot on. Presentation and routine is everything! Come up with a good presentation and most of all, have FUN! If you do, so will your audience. Long Live The Vanishing Ketchup Bottle! Cheers!