(Close Window)
Topic: Charlie Miller
The Professor told me Charlie Miller's picture of hell was, a bunch of guys, in a small room, sitting on barrels practising Faro Shuffles.
He had to be great!
LOL, that definitely sounds like something Charlie would have said.
I might add - or change that to riffle shuffle work!
Many say he was the best exponent of pure sleight- of hand ever.
I have many stories of the days spent with Charlie Miller. We became close friends in the late 70's and thru' the early 80's when my work kept me out of Los Angeles for extended periods of time. Charlie's skill exceeded Vernon's in my opinion and he had a wider range of knowledge about other magic without cards. In all the years I knew him, he NEVER showed me a card trick. we talked about props, gimmicks, personalities and routines without once going into card work!

Charlie loved great card magic and I was smart enough never to show him any of mine.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Oct 2, 2009 03:17PM)
Charlie, taught me a new respect for magic as an art when I was a young teen, what a great man, magician, and mentor!

Magically,
Walt
Charlie had a great sense of humor. I'd watch him look someone in the eye and appear to confide in them that he'd developed a "special coating" that he'd gotten the U.S. Playing Card Company to spray on their cards.

Charlei would explain that the cards could be shuffled in the normal manner, handled almost any way except when the cards were Faro shuffled. At that point the special coating would cause the cards to explode, killing the magician.

Charlie delivered it in a dead pan manner that always drew the listener in until the punch line. It was funny to watch the reaction of the listener.
Does anyone know if the whistling score to his Rice Bowls will ever be made available.
Ken Brooke did a bit he credited Charlie Miller.
He would say something like, "Here's the way three different magicians enter a shop."

First one, a PRO... Door opens just a bit, he looks in, sees who's there and decides not to enter and leaves.

Second one, a semi pro... door opens guy comes in and says, "Is Genii here yet? My picture's on the cover."

Third, an amateur, (this is where Ken excelled)... DOOR FLIES OPEN GUY RUNS IN WITH FISTFULL OF MONEY, STUMBLES, MONEY FLIES ALL OVER AND HE SAYS... "WHAT'S NEW?"