(Close Window)
Topic: The Charlier Shuffle
I have a trick and I need to learn how to do the Charlier shuffle. Has anyone heard of this shuffle? All I know is that all the cards remain in the same place but it looks like you are shuffling. Please tell me how to do it???
undefined
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 19, 2002 11:38AM)
Not quite, but close.

A Charlier or "Slop" Shuffle, leaves the cards in sequence, but basically gives the cards a single cut.

The technique should be in most books that teach card sleights.
Expert Card Technique by Hugard, Page 412

Probably some other places as well
:wavey:
http://www.kartentricks.de
Stufe 4

Unfortunatly a German site.

But try it.

Gawin :pirate:
the Charlier shuffle or Haymow shuffle is in the RRTCM. probably other places as well
james
Also on Daryl's Encylopedia of Card Sleights Volume #2
And on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjgcwV3wAI
Honestly I just used the YouTube video weepinwil just posted above to learn it and now I practice it multiple times a day at work, sloppy as hell but I will get it eventually. Its not a hard shuffle at all, just want to learn to do it faster and cleaner personally.
I stopped using the Charlier Shuffle decades ago when I started using my UTILITY MIXER. Probably one of the best utility moves I've come up with - and which I've taught in my last few books.
[quote]On Feb 28, 2019, CGould wrote:
Its not a hard shuffle at all, just want to learn to do it faster and cleaner personally. [/quote]

The Charlie is one of those shuffles that can benefit from not looking clean, for what it's worth. Make it messier than a messy thing.
[quote]On Feb 28, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
[quote]On Feb 28, 2019, CGould wrote:
Its not a hard shuffle at all, just want to learn to do it faster and cleaner personally. [/quote]

The Charlie is one of those shuffles that can benefit from not looking clean, for what it's worth. Make it messier than a messy thing. [/quote]

I can see that actually, Thanks!
No problem. If you're curious at all, in the signature below is a link to JACK. There's a brief part in there on this shuffle. It's nothing special, just a contrast between Hugard and Braue's views on the move and Erdnase's, with some extra stuff thrown in. Nothing new on the move itself, just on the context of it.
I will definitely be checking that out, thank you!
Patrick Page's wonderful book Magic Page by Page has a section on the Charlier shuffle. I'd have preferred more pictures, but the text description is excellent, as is most of what he wrote.

I can't comment on more than The Memory Book by Mr. Lorayne, having not bought any of his other work after getting that one, but I will say that Page's work is definitely among the good stuff.

-Patrick
How can you "really" discuss card magic in general if you don't have any of my books on the subject? My Utility Mixer is much, much, better than the Charlier
[quote]On Mar 3, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
[Ö] How can you "really" discuss card magic in general if you don't have any of my books on the subject? [Ö] [/quote]

The bibliography on card magic is close to infinite.
So much "good stuff" has been written by so many magicians and so it is absolutely possible to do good/great card magic without ever having read one single word published by you.

Mark
I really, really, feel that with over EIGHTY YEARS of experience with card magic - and after writing about FORTY books on the subject (many think - at least have said/written - that my books are among the best of the best on the subject) - I have as much right to my opinion on anything having to do with card magic as you do or as Woolery does - IF NOT MUCH, much, MORE.
Harry, I never said your contributions are not good stuff. I do believe that Patrick Page's long and indisputable career in magic qualify him to be able to also write good stuff. I only addressed the OP's question of where to find material on one particular move.

I didn't say you don't write good stuff. But I will say that you are not the only one who wrote good stuff. And I have not descended into personal attacks or insults by saying that someone who actually used the Charlier Shuffle (as you have stated you do not) might have something valuable to say on the subject.

-Patrick
Harry is a terrific writer and I shall leave it at that. With regard to the Charlier shuffle the best use of it is with a very small packet. I use it often for that purpose. For a full deck there are plenty of other methods available.
[quote]On Mar 5, 2019, Stewart wrote:
Harry is a terrific writer and I shall leave it at that. With regard to the Charlier shuffle the best use of it is with a very small packet. I use it often for that purpose. For a full deck there are plenty of other methods available. [/quote]

I currently only practice it with about half a deck, which is all that's required for the effect I am using it for. What methods work for a full deck, or can I even ask that here?
There are a ton of them out there. My favourite is the Optical Shuffle which is pretty easy to do. It is in the Royal Road to Card Magic.
[quote]On Mar 6, 2019, Stewart wrote:
There are a ton of them out there. My favourite is the Optical Shuffle which is pretty easy to do. It is in the Royal Road to Card Magic. [/quote]

You're just full of advice today haha! Every question I've posted today has a response from you, I appreciate the advice again as I have said. I will check out that shuffle.
Happy to help. Are you new at magic?
Happy to help. Are you new at magic? [/quote]

Essentially yes, I practiced a few small card tricks when I was younger, things my grandfather taught me as a kid that I just carried through life for my own entertainment. Always had an interest in it but never really practiced or studied much further then that.

Lately I have taken a rather large interest in mentalism. Now I spend a majority of my free time (and a lot of time that I should be working) either on here or reading one of the many books I have acquired recently. Currently I am reading Banacheks, Psychological Subtleties series, next up is probably Corindas "13 Steps to Mentalism". Theres now cards and dice in my office, truck, all over my house. I picked up a video download on shuffles and cuts last night, going to practice a few later today.
There are a ton of them out there. My favorite is the Optical Shuffle which is pretty easy to do. It is in the Royal Road to Card Magic. [/quote]

So I watched some YouTube videos of guys doing the Optical Shuffle, not videos that explained it but just demonstrations I guess. Watched it over and over, clearly missing something. Last night I went on Vanishing Inc. and purchased a video download on false shuffles and cuts... needless to say after watching the instructions on the Optical Shuffle I feel like quite the idiot lol. I really is simple, though I am horrible at it due to old habits from shuffling normally, that's where continuous practice will come in.

Thank You again!
I don't know if I got through to Mr. mlippo way back in this thread. Perhaps this will help - (just received a call reminding me of it): If this doesn't do it, mlippo, let me know and I'll try harder to get through to you - and get you to understand that there's NO WAY someone can be at his or her best at close-up card magic without having read Harry Lorayne books - NEVER/EVER. I'll include quotes like "Harry Lorayne is Zeus on top of Mt. Olympus when it comes to card magic." Let me know, mlippo, I have hundreds of them! Here's that post I was reminded of - just makes me feel better after your, as usual, put-down posts.

"Harry Lorayne is a great inspiration to the Magic Community, the most influential and relied upon close-up magic author in my lifetime, the world's most influential and successful memory expert, the man that through his own publications has given more young, enthusiastic magicians more opportunities than any other magic author in the world.

"He is one of our best and brightest, one whose life experiences and successes tower above the rest.

"Kids need to know that if you want to be successful, you need to read and heed the words of those who are truly successful: Harry Lorayne defines success, and has raised the bar in magic literature that actually teaches, not just pontificates.

"Harry Lorayne is a tremendous asset to any magic forum. He built Magic, he has lived Magic, and he has freely shared that knowledge acquired over a lifetime of hard work, with those that show only a MINIMAL AMOUNT of respect, IF ANY. (Hah!)

"While Mr. Lorayne does not always suffer fools gladly, there is scant reason why he should. Harry Lorayne is a living legend, proof positive that great, often fabulous results can be achieved through clever routining, strong presentation, and attention to detail. He has put more and better good magic: practical, performable, memorable magic in front of those who seek it than anyone else on the planet.

"Harry Lorayne has made magic books readable, understandable, and enjoyable. Harry Lorayne has changed the face of close-up magic like no other: and magic is a far greater, richer, better place for is outstanding efforts and achievements."
Lorayne,
you can copy and paste whatever you like. This does not prove that what I wrote six days ago, is not possible.

Mark
Lippo: As usual, and as with 99.9% of your posts in threads that have to do in any way with me, and where you come in un-called-for with the jealousy/hate dripping from your words you are SOOO wrong it ain't funny. No matter how much, how often, how stupidly, how "unknowledgeably," how unhelpfully, how hatefully, how jealously-ridden, how trollistically, how moronically, how OBVIOUSLY - and again how unhelpfully if even one person is unknowledgeable enough to pay the slightest attention to you --- you are entirely/ompletely WRONG. I'll just stick with this:

"I really, really, feel/know that with over EIGHTY YEARS of experience with card magic - and after writing about FORTY books on the subject (many think - at least have said/written - that my books are among the best of the best on the subject) - I have as much right to my opinion on anything having to do with card magic as you do or as Woolery does - IF NOT MUCH, much, MORE." As in some of the calls I've received - "How in the world can anyone currently be interested in card magic AT ALL and not grab/buy/search for/read/apply/learn from Harry Lorayne books?" And this:

"Harry Lorayne has made magic books readable, understandable, and enjoyable. Harry Lorayne has changed the face of close-up magic like no other: and magic is a far greater, richer, better place for is outstanding efforts and achievements." Continue with your hateful/jealousy - and most important "unknowledgeableness" and unhelpfulness - and I'll be glad to copy/paste more.
OH, so your obvious attempted put-down that you wrote six days ago is NOT possible. Not according to the world of non-trolls.
Of course someone can be a great card worker without reading a particular authors work.

This thread is just getting ridiculous now.

Jim
Agreed, of course --- but not anywhere as great as he could be.

Thread could have ended if you didn't just stop it from doing so!
Mic drop from Harry "Last Word" Lorayne.
Well thanks to this thread I learned 3 things:

1) the charlier shuffle is meant to look messy

2) the optical shuffle (which I love now)

3) Ego makes the knowledgeable look petty

I don't know you at all, but let your work do the talking, no need for the petty "I am better then everyone". We all choose different paths that lead to the same destination... you claim to be the best, how did you get there without reading a Harry Lorayne book...?
If you do a spread count, it is a very easy matter to push off two or three cards at will, even while not looking at the deck. This makes it very easy to move specific numbers of cards from top to bottom of a small packet ( or from bottom to top) using The Charlier Shuffle. I use this technique a few times in a routine of mine and it looks much better (more messy and less control) than using a double undercut. I also use Bob Farmers Small Packet Shuffle from pages 29 - 30 of his Ten Card Deal Dossier, which is also a very nice shuffle. Itís a great book too.