(Close Window)
Topic: Advise for somebody returning to magic
Hi All,

I wasn’t really sure where to post this so I figured I would start here. I’m not really new to magic, more like returning after a 10 to 15 year hiatus. Back in the day I did a few restaurant openings and table strolling at the local bars. Even did some volunteer work at local hospitals during the holidays to try to brighten up the patients that were there over the holidays. Anyway I am looking for a few suggestions for the following scenarios.

1) Something to grab their attention. Something where you don’t have to say “hey wanna see a magic trick” You know something while sitting at the restaurant waiting for your meal to arrive or having a few drinks after a round of golf. Just pull it out and not really have to say anything jus perform it and WHAM you got them asking for more. For this I was thinking something along the lines of “Extreme Burn”.
2) A reputation maker. The one effect that you do that when you return no matter how much time has passed they still remember you because of that one effect.
3) Something to have just sitting on my desk at the office that folks will ask, “What is that?” and you go into the performance for it. Currently I have a nut and bolt routine I do, but it’s time for a change. I was thinking something along the mentalist line i.e. Free Will

Thanks for suggestions.
Extreme burn is good, but you have to get their attention first. To get their attention, use a fire wallet or Pace's "Hot Leads".

Jim
For points one and two I would recommend getting to know how to use 'Loops' by Finn John and Yigel Mesika properly. When you are comfortable with them, there are few seemingly completely impromptu effects that beat a floating ring, levitating bill or animated cutlery. Just my 2p

Recommend: Get a pack of loops and start playing and then get Mesika's booklet called Animated Miracles.
David Stone and Jay Sankey both have excellent dvd's about doing magic in restaurants and bars. Both dvd's cover how to structure routines for that type of environment and also offer great advice on how to open and get attention. Eugene Burger has a good manuscript out there as well that covers these topics.
You don't have to do anything to get people's attention if you are a friendly, or maybe dangerous looking person. If you are the kind of person that just blends into the background then maybe you have to do something special.

I've been sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office practicing the Ninja Rings and getting the rest of the patients watching me intently. I got a round of applause when I put things away.

I've also gotten attention while practicing coin sleights and sponge balls at restaurants. Rubber band stuff draws people's attention as well.