(Close Window)
Topic: McBride vs. Marvey
The question was recently posed to me, who do you think is better; McBride or Marvey? I instantly replied McBride, but am interested in other opinions. What do you guys think?
Hmmm, good question and I would still think McBride. McBride's manipulation act is a lot more entertaining then Marveys. Marvey was so boring on WGM.....

Lee
I'd agree. As a performer I think McBride is more of an entertainer. Marvey is good, real good, but I feel sometimes he can be a bit of a magicians magician. Trying to show all the clever stuff he can do, rather than trying to be as entertaining as possible.
I really admire Jeff McBride's technical skill and he certainly puts a lot of thought into all areas of his magic. I'm less familiar with Peter Marvey as I've only really seen him perform 2 or 3 times, but he seems to have a different style.

I think to say one is better than the other woudl be difficult for me, as everyone is different.

Brian
I would have to say Jeff McBride. His is an awesom manipulator and really enjoys his magic... which shows when he performs. :smiles:
McBride, no contest.
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (May 13, 2003 11:57PM)
I choosed Marvey. Too bad he DID NOT put his skill on the video so we can learn from his technique...

His open fingers card productions is so so so... magical. I have no clue how he did that.... I don't think even Jeff could do this technique...

Hengky
In my opinion this question is like:

What is better: Ice cream or steak ?

I like both.... icecreams and steak, tastes diferrent, but both is good.

Jeff and Peter are different too. And comparing don't have sense for me. Becouse they both are for me masters of magic.

delpfin
I'm with Delphin in this debate, its like trying to compare milk chocolate to white chocolate - most people like both. Indeed they both have a different taste - but both are good in some way or another.

Work out the comparison for yourselves :goof:
I really don't think that they are that much different and can really be compaired. We don't think like laymen so we don't notice that Marvey is very boring. I don't think he was taught that funny moves and long boring productions are bad. McBride is a show man that knows how to keep his crowd hooked and amazed throught his whole show. It is no contest on how great McBride is over Marvey but, they both are very skilled. I think Marvey would be better if had some creative people on his side.

Lee
I not say: "Nobody can compare they". I say: "comparing don't have sense for me".
I think, I'm beginer, not layer ... but no master. And for me Jeff and Peter are masters, and when I see one from they, I see very good magic. I see differents in they methods, style and other. For me Peter style likes more. But Jeff is graet artist too.

I not see sense in question "who is better", more sense has "who more likes for me".

In another: i see some days ago Tom Mulica seminar on Video and... for me this guy is very disgustingly. His jokes are not for me. But I do, some people likes this type of humor.
I see seminar with Serip too . Both (Serip and Mulica)work with cigaretes. I don't know who is better, but I do : Serip more likes for me, still Mulica technic look better.

And last words from me. I very like speaking abot magic, but english is not my native language. Forgive me, my grammar and others...

Best regards
delpfin
Vote for McBride!
McBride....all the way
Jeff McBride
[quote]
On 2003-05-11 10:02, zombieboy wrote:
The question was recently posed to me, who do you think is better; McBride or Marvey? [/quote]

Better at what?

I think we need them both since neither one does what the other does. Both have clearly designed and scripted acts which they've sold and peformed around the world. Great to have them both since one doesn't do what the other does.
This is not meant to belittle anyone or the initial post at all. However, I must say that a question like this serves no real purpose nor can it really honestly be answered.

The reason is that each magician has his own unique style of performance that works best for them in their target market and for their target audience. Both do very well and what they do with their manipulative magic works for them.

We can ask which performer we enjoy the most from a magician's standpoint, and that is just fine. That then just becomes a personal opinion as to what you enjoy watching more. However, I do not feel we can say who is better at what they do since it is like trying to compare apples to oranges. Each performer has a unique style that works for them in their situation.

The manipulator needs to learn the fundamentals of the art and acquire the tools of the trade. Once these are learned, then it is up to the manipulator to take those skills and use them in new and creative ways that works for them, their style, their character and their market they are working.

The skills and foundations are the same, but the level and creativity of performance varies greatly as it should. each manipulator should strive to take and push the foundations of what they know and use them to move themselves into different creative areas.

I feel both of them do this equally well.

Kyle
In my opinion, both Jeff McBride and Peter Marvey are great. They have put in the time to be where they are. Both are unique in their own way.

Just like all of you - you guys are also great in your own way. My respect goes to everyone in the family of magic - everyone is trying their best. Let us salute to that.
I would go with Jeff. Who is better than him with manipulation?
Dynamike,answer to your question: JEFF SHERIDAN / MAHKA THENDO
What is this... Grudge Match or The Magic Café?

Marvey is Marvey.

McBride is McBride.
Hmmmm...I will post when I decide, but I have a feeling it is a tie for me.
Hmmmmm?

Porsche Vs. Ferrari...Unless you are on the AutoBahn who cares?

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
Many of us care very much. It's unfortunate that you don't.
It's a valid question... just because person A is better than person B, doesn't mean person B isn't great. So don't be scared to choose, afterall, we can't all be Cardini.
But why choose at all? What is the real benefit to you or anyone else as to who is better? There is none. If you want to study them and compare their work and ideas and concepts, then there is value in that.

To say which is better is an opinion only and it is not really fair to begin with. Each performer is unique with their own style. I would much rather worry about my own performance and how I can become better at what I do then to just say who is better then who. However, once again, I have already stated this.

Kyle
There you go again, Kyle. You still don't get it. But that's okay.
The opinion that Cardini was the greatist of all time is widely accepted among most experts. These experts are our brothers and are some of the world's greatest practitioners. Do you disagree with them, Kyle? If not dou think they are putting down others by expressing such high praise for one man?
Check your Mulholland books, read your classics, read about the Card Stars from Greater magic( John Northern Hilliard's personal opinion of the best card men of the day)
I am not saying having an opinion is a bad thing. I think it is great that we can have opinions and you and I are entitled to them. That is what makes the Café a great place.

I would also agree that Cardini was a master of manipulation and someone that should indeed be studied. I have no problem with that at all and I certainly do not disagree with them. I learn from them. I study from them and gain insiration from them. However, I do not go out there asking who is better then the other.

I learn from them all but I do not go out of my way to start ranking them and finding who is better then the other. To me that ranking and stating who is the best serves no purpose to me. But that is just my opinion and we can agree to disagree.

Kyle
Magicfish,

I've taken a few positions on topics and stood my ground regardless of what others thought. In some cases I either eventually changed my mind or I still stand firm on my opinion. The reason I can't take a stand here is because McBride and Marvey have both served to inspire me a great deal.

There's a reason I have collected video footage of the TWO - namely because one does not offer what the other does. Without going into detail I've borrowed from both or been inspired by both. So there is apparently, the way I see them, something unique to each of the two. I think if I had made up my mind that one was better than the other, I would of only collected their works and disregarded the other as I may have with names I don't care for.

So which is your favorite magicfish and why?
Randy,

Thank you for posting and so very nicely stated my friend. I agree 100%.

Kyle
They are very good manipulation masters.
I have seen McBride's Manipulation Act and Peter Marveys Fism Manipulation Act...
They have inspired me a lot...

My opinion is this: Both!
Thanx Randy. I'm a Marvey man myself... But that doesn't mean McBride's not great; he is.
Watch out Kyle I hope your sitting down.
Cardini was better than Topper Martin. Do I love Topper Martin? Yes. Were they entirely different? Yes. Were their acts comparable? Hardly. Was Cardini a better manipulator? Absolutely. See? its okay. don't be scared... Topper would agree with me and would not be offended, I don't think you have reason to be either.
McBride is the best working magician in America, hands down.
Fish, I agree with you on Cardini so we have no problems there. I also have no problems with you discussing these men and others. It is all fine with me and I wish you the best in what you do. I am not offended in the least. Everyone can agree to disagree at times and we all have our own opinions. that is what makes the Café a great place.

Kyle
I definitely think Marvey is much better at certain things than McBride.
I'm just comparing their acts..
Marveys act is just incredible...What really got me were his vanishes and transpositions. I can't think of anything that looks more like pure magic than them. His productions were excellent as well.

Watching Marvey and Juliana Chen got me into card manipulation.

McBride was the means to learning it.
Cheers, Kyle
Cheers to you as well Fish and thanks. =)

Kyle
I saw Peter Marvey for the first time in a magic convention about 5 years ago, and I can tell you that he had maked a scaring ovation... For me, a real magician is a real manipulator, and Marvey "is the man". I never saw Jeff "in a live show", I love his manipulation tapes, and I think is a great artist, but Peter Marvey is a dream artist...
I just saw Peter Marvey on a two hour special here in Japan a few nights ago. The first 3/4 was very entertaining and he did some knock out illusions like full body through a window, and a levitation with three camera angles in a park, etc..

I just can't understand why he had to finish with a flying with the dolphins routine. He flew over a tank of dolphins to a new age soundtrack and then talked about how collaborating with the dophins touched his heart....Pppplllleeeaaasssee! My wife sat there and said, "Is this supposed to be magical?" I was becoming a huge fan half way through the show and by the end I was saying,"don't do it, man!" I felt like I was watching Elvis smirking at the girls in his final days at 280 pnds. It was awful.

Anyway, I think asking who is better provokes a lot of comparative analysis that can benefit a lot of people. Otherwise, you might as well shut down every competition out there.
Only their accountant knows. :kermit:
[quote]
On 2006-04-16 14:24, Pete Biro wrote:
Only their accountant knows.
[/quote]

Hahaha...well, they did ask.
[quote]
On 2006-03-11 14:18, magic4u02 wrote:
This is not meant to belittle anyone or the initial post at all. However, I must say that a question like this serves no real purpose nor can it really honestly be answered.

The reason is that each magician has his own unique style of performance that works best for them in their target market and for their target audience. Both do very well and what they do with their manipulative magic works for them.

We can ask which performer we enjoy the most from a magician's standpoint, and that is just fine. That then just becomes a personal opinion as to what you enjoy watching more. However, I do not feel we can say who is better at what they do since it is like trying to compare apples to oranges. Each performer has a unique style that works for them in their situation.

The manipulator needs to learn the fundamentals of the art and acquire the tools of the trade. Once these are learned, then it is up to the manipulator to take those skills and use them in new and creative ways that works for them, their style, their character and their market they are working.

The skills and foundations are the same, but the level and creativity of performance varies greatly as it should. each manipulator should strive to take and push the foundations of what they know and use them to move themselves into different creative areas.

I feel both of them do this equally well.

Kyle

I am not just questionning kyle, but those preceding him as well: Why do we have FISM then? Can't you simply argue oh I am just as good as him/her, I just have a different style...
That being said, I know both of them are better than me.
I find this to be such a cliche answer.
BTW, I like MrBride.

[/quote]
They are both relly good, I like Marvey's card production better though because it seems more natural but I think McBride comes of as he has more skill. Although Marvey is my favorite even he won 2nd place at FISM because 1st place went to Takamitsu Uchida so even the FISM committee saw a better card manipulator that day. I have seen Takamitsu Uchida's FISM act and I must say it can win any championship, regular cards, jumbo cards, jumbo fans and flourishes, a whole lot a crazy stuff.
They are talking about Takamitsu here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=159180&forum=10&28