(Close Window)
Topic: Philippine TV talent contest
Hi gang,

Last week I was given a schedule to join a TV talent contest in Manila ala AGT...contestants are given 1.5 minutes to impress the judges and jurors. The judges will decide if they will buzz you out during your performance while the jurors will decide on the winner.

The night before the 8am taping...I told the coordinator that I am not joining anymore because of some rumours concerning the judging system...the coordinator got upset and since I don't want any troubles, I ended up being at the studio a few minutes before 8am the ff morning. I had my old suit with me, my Poyner figure and my Al Good stand...plus my Payes which I was planning to use for the interview which they did not allow. No props in the interview...

There were 8 contestants...I was the 8th. I won! Then I had to face the defending champion, a fantastic balancer. I won!

Now the problem...the next episode needed to be recorded the same day. I had no extra clothes with me so I mixed and matched a shirt and the suit...and although it did not appear to be much different, it was better than wearing exactly the same outfit for an episode which will be aired a week after the 1st.

Then the act...thank God I brought my Payes. He awed the crowd, jurors and judges. Actually both the Poyner and Payes charmed the crowd. One of the judges even asked Nicolo (Poyner) to be in her kiddie party and told the figure "You only...don't bring Wanlu"

It was an unexpected win...and will hopefully be a pleasant surprise to my wife and kids...

...TIL NOW MY WIFE DOES NOT KNOW I WON. WHEN I GOT HOME, I TOLD HER I LOST AND GAVE HER THE $100 CONSOLATION PRIZE FOR THE NON WINNERS. BUT I TOLD HER THAT SHE MUST WATCH THE AIRING ON MARCH 14 DESPITE THE LOST BECAUSE I GREETED HER ON TV AND SHE LOVES HEARING HER NAME MENTIONED ON TV :)

BY MARCH 14 WHEN SHE SEES THE WINNING EPISODE, I'LL GIVE HER THE REST OF THE $1000 PRIZE MONEY BUT WILL TELL HER I LOST IN THE 2ND ROUND BECAUSE I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THE 2ND EPISODE AND BELIEVE ME, SHE WILL FALL FOR IT AGAIN. IMAGINE HER SURPRISE THE FOLLOWING WEEK WHEN MY NAMED IS ANNOUNCED AS WINNER AGAIN...give her a few seconds then she will realize it's another $1000 :bigsmile:

I just hope this won't backfire on the 3rd episode...I might lose that round and tell her the truth and she won't believe and expect a positive outcome again. In any case, the two wins so far has been very exciting and really pleasant...thank God for His unspeakable gifts. I don't know what I did... but I must have done something good the deserve this from God.

To God be the glory...

Wanlu
Congratulations on your win! I am sure you are good!
Thanks Frankie...send the marionette as soon as possible so I can use it in case I win in the next round :)

My Axtell ostrich is also on it's way and without a doubt charm everyone in the contest :)
Well done Wanlu!
Thanks Kimmo :bigsmile:
Well done, Wanlu! I told you can do it!
Thanks Ony :)

Watch the 2nd episode...I mentioned you in the interview along with Burik, Rael and Lou :)
Wanlu,

Congrats!!! Any way you can post the show once it's aired? I'd love to see it. I'm sure your phone will start ringing off the hook once it airs. Good luck in future rounds....

Ken
Thanks Ken...yes I will post the videos once the episodes have been aired :)
Wanlu great job and positive thinking will take you all the way!! Congrats !!!
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
OFF TOPIC:

This is so funny :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVIv3kc3p3I

Wanlu
Wanlu that was great!! Extremely funny as you said and a great job of manipulation!!
Dan
Yes Dan, the act was so funny! The puppet was hysterical and the vent found the perfect solution to my lousy lip control... :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-04 10:35, marshalldoll wrote:
Wanlu great job and positive thinking will take you all the way!! Congrats !!!
Dan
[/quote]

Thanks Dan :)
Congrats!
[quote]
On 2009-03-04 11:08, Matt_24 wrote:
Congrats!
[/quote]

Thanks Matt :)
Well done, Wanlu,and the clip .. hilarious.

Dave
[quote]
On 2009-03-04 11:27, Daveandrews wrote:
Well done, Wanlu,and the clip .. hilarious.

Dave
[/quote]

Thanks Dave :)
To avoid any confusion...it was not me in the clip I posted :bigsmile: Just wanted to share the video I found and posted it here :)

...of course you all know that :)
Way to go, Wanlu!
Holy cr** that's funny...and the bird would agree...

Thanks for posting Wanlu...

Ken
[quote]
On 2009-03-04 11:36, Servante wrote:
Way to go, Wanlu!
[/quote]

Thanks Servante :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-04 08:09, Wanlu wrote:

Watch the 2nd episode...I mentioned you in the interview along with Burik, Rael and Lou :)
[/quote]

Thanks. It's always my pleasure to be able to be of help in any way I can. As you know it's my dream to really help make ventriloquism respectable in our country (Philippines) and all your efforts, as well as those of some our vent friends here, are surely making that a reality!

It's all you, Wanlu. Go for it! I know how those prizes mean to you and your family.

The timing could not be better...it solved my hospital bills for my grandson :)

I think the win will one way or another boost ventriloquism in our country...that is one of the reasons why I insisted on doing a vent act rather than a magical illusion. I was tempted to do either the compressher, broomstick or modern art but ended up doing the vent act because I felt that ventriloquism is not that exposed in our country yet and the show might just start a ventriloquism mania :) and vents in Manila will all benefit from it, God willing :)

Wanlu :)
Wanlu,

you're the man of the hour.

Keep aVENTing
[quote]
On 2009-03-04 19:52, creativemac wrote:
Wanlu,

you're the man of the hour.

Keep aVENTing
[/quote]

Thanks Donald ;) I hope it will be extended hours :)
Wanlu, now I see your point. That will indeed boost the art of ventriloquism in our country. Thanks for including my name. Congrats!
Thanks Lou :)

How can I forget you?..."you are my idol" ...and I'm not quoting Bing Lim-It. :)

Wanlu
A big CONGRATULATIONS WANLU!!! I'm proud to know you!!
You are a true inspiration Wanlu. Although I have not known you for a long time, you have shared your climb to success through this forum and our personal emails. It is truly amazing how far you have come, considering you started with puppets without even doing vent ! On behalf of all puppeteers who will benefit from your continued efforts and successes, I thank you and congratulate you !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
I had PM'd, but should make my congrats public too. Keep up the great work Wanlu!

Also - slightly off topic - here is Dean Atkinson's progression on Australia's Got Talent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H2ZXoy5bVg
Aside from showing his great talent as a vent, this also points out what an extraordinary person Wanlu is. What is he doing with his winnings? Helping his grandson. Quite remarkable, considering Wanlu has 8 children of his own!

I think we should all be proud he is here with us.

Bob
(Wanlu fan)
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 01:13, ventriloguy wrote:
[/quote]

Thanks Duane :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 09:16, TRUMPETMAN wrote:
You are a true inspiration Wanlu. Although I have not known you for a long time, you have shared your climb to success through this forum and our personal emails. It is truly amazing how far you have come, considering you started with puppets without even doing vent ! On behalf of all puppeteers who will benefit from your continued efforts and successes, I thank you and congratulate you !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
[/quote]

Thank you very much Mark :)

It's actually just a couple of wins...not really a big thing :) It's only a big thing for me :bigsmile:

Thanks again...

Wanlu
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 21:13, Bob Baker wrote:
Aside from showing his great talent as a vent, this also points out what an extraordinary person Wanlu is. What is he doing with his winnings? Helping his grandson. Quite remarkable, considering Wanlu has 8 children of his own!

I think we should all be proud he is here with us.

Bob
(Wanlu fan)
[/quote]

Thanks Bob :)

My son Ivan, the new dad is about to graduate this month...hopefully after graduation, he can find a job and of course support his own family. In the meantime, I'm the dad and the grandpa :)

I hope I'm not making a big thing out of the wins...I was just too happy I won that I felt I need to share it with all of you. It's really not a big thing...well, of course for me it is.

Thanks again Bob :)

Wanlu
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 09:46, tacrowl wrote:
I had PM'd, but should make my congrats public too. Keep up the great work Wanlu!

Also - slightly off topic - here is Dean Atkinson's progression on Australia's Got Talent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H2ZXoy5bVg
[/quote]

Got your PM Tom...thanks :)

I'm in Naga City right now...it's a 10 hour drive from Manila. We have a gig here tonight...I was shocked because when I arrived in the city, I saw a big banner with my photo on it...me and my figure Nicolo (Poyner). It was like I\m a bib celebrity ha ha ha...which I am not of course. :) Then we just finsihed our radio stations tour...it felt so Edgar Bergen...you know, a vent act on radio to invite people to watch the show. :)

My sincere gratitude to all of you...I'm already so happy with the 2 wins... but I have to confess, I spent the 10 hour drive dreaming of winning the next 3 rounds :bigsmile:

Wanlu
The next round...I'll use Lola Osna (Hartz) and my vent mask :)

I only have a 1.5 minutes...this will include getting somebody from the audience to waer the mask and putting the mask on. Maybe just a minute left to do the routine. I just hope it works :)

Regarding Dean Atkinson in Australia:

Thanks for the link Tom ;) Please don't forget, those are the masks we sell in case you need one :bigsmile: or should I say in case you need one more...you lready got 4 masks :) and I'm so grateful for your help... thanks again.

Wanlu
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 01:13, ventriloguy wrote:
[/quote]

I think that should be the other way around Duane...I am proud to know you and evryone in the vent community.

Thanks for your support as well as for all your patronage for the stuff we sell. :)

"...but I have to confess, I spent the 10 hour drive dreaming of winning the next 3 rounds"

Wouldn't that be cool?

Hey, best of luck, Wanlu.
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 21:29, Wanlu wrote:
It's actually just a couple of wins...not really a big thing :) It's only a big thing for me :bigsmile:
[/quote]

Wanlu,
You've been earning $1,000 prizes, saw yourself on a big banner in another city - doesn't sound like a small thing! No matter what happens in the future, you stepped up to the plate, took a swing and hit the ball out of the park twice. Keep up the great work.
Tom
Another thing to keep in mind is that this will look nice on your resume. Be sure to add this to your website so your customers know you won. Anything one does that is associated with television tends to give you more street cred with the average Joe who is hiring you. Not everyone knows about magic or vent comeptitions, but everyone knows about the talent shows that are on TV stations all over the world, from "American Idol" to "So you think you can be a Croatian Superstar?"

(OK I made the last one up, but you know what I mean !)

:)

Mark
[quote]
On 2009-03-06 09:25, TRUMPETMAN wrote:
"So you think you can be a Croatian Superstar?"

(OK I made the last one up, but you know what I mean !)

:)

Mark
[/quote]

Thanks for tipping that Mark - now I have to take it off my resume...
Wanlu congrats buddy! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing how you use the ostrich! Im in England right now will be performing at S.Tyneside Magic Fest. I will try to mention this in my lecture too. Vent is turning heads all over the globe! Ax
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 23:09, Servante wrote:
"...but I have to confess, I spent the 10 hour drive dreaming of winning the next 3 rounds"

Wouldn't that be cool?

Hey, best of luck, Wanlu.
[/quote]

Thanks :) Let me know if you received the Hartz figure already ;)
[quote]
On 2009-03-06 07:31, tacrowl wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-05 21:29, Wanlu wrote:
[/quote]

Wanlu,
You've been earning $1,000 prizes, saw yourself on a big banner in another city - doesn't sound like a small thing! No matter what happens in the future, you stepped up to the plate, took a swing and hit the ball out of the park twice. Keep up the great work.
Tom
[/quote]

Thanks Tom... that's a very nice way to put it. I took a swing and hit the ball out of the park twice!!! Never thought of it that way...thanks buddy. :bigsmile:
[quote]
On 2009-03-06 19:16, axtell wrote:
Wanlu congrats buddy! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing how you use the ostrich! Im in England right now will be performing at S.Tyneside Magic Fest. I will try to mention this in my lecture too. Vent is turning heads all over the globe! Ax
[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Your ostrich will surprise everyone...I can imagine the curtains opening, revealing a Mack to my right and an Axtell ostrich to my left :) I just hope I make it to that round... :)

I will post pictures and videos soon after the episodes have been aired.

Thanks Steve :)
Hi Gang,

I have decided to use the Hartz old lady and a vent mask on the 3rd round :)

In case I advance to the 4th round, I'll use an Axtell parrot with a left birdarm illusion and the Axtell ostrich to my right hand :) Of course, that may very well be wishful thinking on my part but well, no PayPal charges to dream :)

You will all know how it turned out by Monday night which is the next taping...
Thanks for all your help and support :)

Wanlu
Wanlu,

Your story brought a laughing tear to my eye :)

Today is now the 14th in PI.

Share with us Episode II of how your wife reacted?

Best,
Tod
Thanks Tod :)

I will let you know tonight... I'm hoping it will be a pleasant surprise for everyone, my kids and wife :)

The taping for episode 3 is on Monday...I hope I win 3 so I can be on the 4th :)

I'm still undecided...still don't know if I'll use the Hartz old lady and the mask OR the ostrich and the dodo which look more fun :)

Wanlu
It was a very nice surprise to my wife and kids :bigsmile: even to the neighbors who gave a thunderous shout when my name was announced as the winner :bigsmile:

To God be all the glory!
Hi Wanlu...

Don't forget to post a link when you get the chance of the shows. I'd love to see them. Good luck Monday...we'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts...

Ken
Thanks Ken,

I do have a video taken backstage but I will try my best to find a video of the actual TV airing. If I can't find one, I'll post a video of the one taken backstage...it does not show my face and the figure's but it could be the only footage I have unless some friends of mine recorded the show last night.

Got to sleep...big day tomorrow, I hope I get episodes 3 and 4...thanks for all you kind thoughts :) It will certainly help me a lot :)

Wanlu
My sincere gratitude to everyone here..."Maraming salamat po!" or "Thank you very much."

I did win 3rd and 4th and will need one more win to be in the "Hall of Fame." The show is in it's 3rd season and only one has won 5 times, a group of talented acrobats. The only group so far in the Hall of Fame. It's lonely to be the only group in that category and I really don't mind keeping them company...but I will need one more win...and I honestly don't know what to do yet.

Used the Harts old lady and vent mask in round 3 and the Axtell ostrich and parrot in the 4th round.

Some pictures here :)

http://wanluthemagician.blogspot.com/2009/03/talentadong-pinoy.html

Thanks again :)

Sincerely,

Wanlu
Holy smokes, Wanlu! You certainly got your "mojo" on this past month :)

You must be nervous as heck with only one more show ahead of you!

Good luck my friend,
Tod
Good Luck Wanlu!
Thanks Duane and Tod :)

Tod...I appreciate your PM, thanks for the well wishes and ideas. :bigsmile:

I'm thinking of using either the Axtell Big Baby or my Mack figure for the 5th and final round. :)

Wanlu
Check me out at the Axtell website :)

http://www.axtell.com/new.html
For the 5th and final round...I am planning to use Nicolo (Poyner) :)

Hopefully he will charm the talent scouts and jurors again. :)
Jst thinking out loud.Do something different.Use yr marionette as a vent and have him dance in the end
[quote]
On 2009-03-18 12:11, maps wrote:
Jst thinking out loud.Do something different.Use yr marionette as a vent and have him dance in the end
[/quote]

I was planning to do that...but a marionette is not that easy to use :) It takes a lot of practise which I still lack. The marionette will be a part of my act soon...just not that soon :)

Off topic: I'm planning to get one of your dog marionettes :) and perhaps the juggler or skeleton :)

On Topic: I might stick to the Poyner figure for the 5th and final round :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-15 09:26, Ken Dumm wrote:
Hi Wanlu...

Don't forget to post a link when you get the chance of the shows. I'd love to see them. Good luck Monday...we'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts...

Ken
[/quote]

Found some videos :)

http://makaryans.multiply.com/video/item/140/TP_03142009_2.wmv

http://makaryans.multiply.com/video/item/141/TP_03142009_3.wmv
Here's an edited version :)

http://wanlu99.multiply.com/video/item/61/Wanlu_in_Talentadong_Pinoy
Wanlu..

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing the videos. I couldn't understand all of it, but the expressions and laughter said it all. Good luck in future rounds...

Ken
Congratulations again, Wanlu. The video was fascinating. Your manipulation of Nicolo, even while waiting for the results, was wonderful.

I was also fascinated by the mixture of English and Filipino used by the host and the jury.

Bob
Thanks Ken and Bob :)

I'm not as good as you guys...but I might be on the right track :)

Magaling, Wanlu! How'd you'd like to have a confetti cannon go off at the end of ALL your shows :)

Best,
Tod
Hi Tod,

It felt so cool!!! :)

Wanlu
Hi Wanlu,

I looked at some of your pics on the blog. You looked great up there. The figures also looked terrific. The judges were laughing a lot. It looked awesome.

Dean Atkinson
Thanks Dean,

Saw your videos and you are doing so well in your end...

I hope you win my friend...

Of course the prize in your end is much much more... I hope you get it :)

BTW...nice work on the dog mask, ruff!!! :bigsmile:

Wanlu
Well, do we have a national champion yet!??

Tod
Hi Tod,

Just got back from a 3 day international thanksgiving to God...believe it or not, you were in my mind and in my prayer. We discussed what you told me about what the Apostles wrote and "said"...and Bro Eli explained it very well. :) I hope I can share it with you someday.

Final taping is on Monday...my birthday :)

Planning to use all my 4 figures...held by 4 of my children. I'll do my version of a talent show and the figures are the contestants... :)

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers...

Wanlu
Hmmm, now that's a neat idea! Your own children. What a very cool thing if you could win the championship not just on your birthday, but together as a family! Some father on stage would have tears in his eyes :)

Thanks for the prayers 10,000 miles away,
Tod
Thanks Tod :)

I am not sure if I can win the 5th and final round...in any case, I'm already so happy with the 4 wins :)

Got to go... couple of gigs today. :)

Wanlu
Dean, you have a nicely designed site!

Tod
Even if you don't though, Wanlu, what a nice way to go out. On national TV with your own children. I don't know who thought of that idea, but it's both clever and tender.

Best,
Tod
The idea came out during the 3 day thanksgiving :) after several ideas I had in mind...

At first, I was thinking of having my fellow contestants in the first round hold the figures. Then an idea sparked, it might be best if my kids will hold the figures. :)

I invited my fellow contestants who joined the first round ...they will be there to cheer for me :)
Taping for episode 5 today...win or lose, it's my last taping because a contestant can only win 5 times max :)
Good luck, Wanlu...or, as we traditionally say in the theatre, "Break a leg!"
By the time we all wake up tomorrow, we may know the outcome of Wanlu's great adventure...

Tod
1Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

I GOT IT!!! :)

It was a colorful site on stage...four figures in 90 seconds :)My Mack, Hartz, Payes and Poyner. My kids added a very nice touch to the act. I will post some pictures soon...and hopefully a video too. The episode was extra special because it was the host's birthday :)

I was awarded the "Hall of Fame" award :) I'm the 2nd to win this award in the show's 3 seasons :) The 1st was given to a family of acrobats :)

To God be the glory!!!

Wanlu
God also enjoys 'input' from his people, Wanlu (but you know that!), and you certainly did your bit as well.
Many congrats, my friend.

Dave
Congrats Wanlu!
Tom
Good deal! Congratulations, Wanlu!
Thanks Dave, Tom and Servante :bigsmile:

Hey Dave...how's the new Axtell Toucan doing? :)

Wanlu
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S from so many of us, good buddy!!!

From so far away, another country, this win can seem not as 'wow' as us here are use to.

But this is the Philippines' equivalent of "Amerca's got Talent." In fact, it is produced from the makers of the same show in the US according to Wiki.

Wanlu, then, has just won his countries equivalent of the show Terry Fator won.

I think that is absolutely incredible!!
[quote]
On 2009-03-30 13:32, Tod Torrent wrote:

Wanlu, then, has just won his countries equivalent of the show Terry Fator won.

[/quote]

Thanks Tod my friend :)

But my win is nowhere close to Terry's big win in AGT...

But I am very happy with the win and I can't thank everyone enough for sending me good thoughts...and great suggestions :)

I will post some pictures soon :)

Wanlu
Yes, of course we in America have a different culture (Las Vegas, Hollywood, etc) but have you seen the below article from PEP Entertainment?

http://www.pep.ph/guide/3331/TV5s-Talentadong-Pinoy-cultivates-fresh-talents

Last seasons winners (the same spot you just won) are on their way to international fame right now. So, tighten your belt, and get ready for what may come next, my friend :)

Congrats again,
Tod
Thanks Tod :bigsmile:

I did not know that... :)
I am absolutely thrilled for you! This news just makes my day. I don't think it could have happened to a more deserving performer and person.

I think all of us take pride in your success!

Bob
Hello, Wanlu - the Toucan is simply incredible. I have a couple of 'freebies' coming up, just doing a meet and greet with him, to get the practice in a live situation and also check out the responses.

When I have some video, I will get up on y/yube, and you can have a look.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Dave
[quote]
On 2009-03-30 15:04, Bob Baker wrote:
I am absolutely thrilled for you! This news just makes my day. I don't think it could have happened to a more deserving performer and person.

I think all of us take pride in your success!

Bob
[/quote]

Much appreciated Bob :)

Your kind thoughts helped a lot...sincere thanks from me and my family! :bigsmile:
[quote]
On 2009-03-30 17:54, Daveandrews wrote:
Hello, Wanlu - the Toucan is simply incredible. I have a couple of 'freebies' coming up, just doing a meet and greet with him, to get the practice in a live situation and also check out the responses.

When I have some video, I will get up on y/yube, and you can have a look.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Dave
[/quote]

Hu Dave,

A video would be nice :)

Have fun with your toucan...

Wanlu
Hi Wanlu,

Sorry for being late but I just caught up with these posts. How tremendously excellent!!! I appreciate your humility but I have to say that you are quite a fine performer. Truly! Outstanding work my friend.
I'm gonna go back and watch it again.

Steve P
Wanlu.....Congrats!!! Awesome news!!! Can't wait to see the pictures and video. Thanks for sharing the back story, always great to hear the thinking behind the performance. I'm so happy for you! You deserve it.

Take care and enjoy the moment...

Ken
[quote]
On 2009-03-30 23:12, Steve Petra wrote:
Hi Wanlu,

Sorry for being late but I just caught up with these posts. How tremendously excellent!!! I appreciate your humility but I have to say that you are quite a fine performer. Truly! Outstanding work my friend.
I'm gonna go back and watch it again.

Steve P
[/quote]

Thank you very much Steve :bigsmile:
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 00:58, Ken Dumm wrote:
Wanlu.....Congrats!!! Awesome news!!! Can't wait to see the pictures and video. Thanks for sharing the back story, always great to hear the thinking behind the performance. I'm so happy for you! You deserve it.

Take care and enjoy the moment...

Ken
[/quote]

I am enjoying the celebrity treatment I've been getting lately. People say hi to me in malls, parking lot, restaurants, hotels etc :) Had some folks who approached me and asked if they can take pictures with me...wow. :) two weeks to go before all episodes are aired then the fame is over :)

People only know you when you are in TV...

Thanks Ken :)
So he says, until he gets a call to bring Nicolo to Japan, and then another call to bring Don Dominador to Australia, and then the third call comes in and so on and so forth, etcetera, etcetera. I guess we'll see, won't we :)

Tod
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 03:57, Tod Todson wrote:
So he says, until he gets a call to bring Nicolo to Japan, and then another call to bring Don Dominador to Australia, and then the third call comes in and so on and so forth, etcetera, etcetera. I guess we'll see, won't we :)

Tod
[/quote]

Wow...that would be so cool Tod!!! :)

I'll make sure I post it here in case something like that happens :)

Wanlu
I want to share this...nothing final yet but after winning the Hall of Fame award...I was invited for a short chat with the network's top executives, I was asked if I would be interested to join their NEWS team.

Of course not just me but the figures as well :)

A ventriloquist newscaster...wow. :)
Wanlu I too want to congratulate you on your win!! Cudos!!
Dan
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 07:19, marshalldoll wrote:
Wanlu I too want to congratulate you on your win!! Cudos!!
Dan
[/quote]

Thanks Dan :)

You have to see the Mack in my 5th episode :)

I will try to find a video link...after the scheduled TV airing on April 11...

Wanlu
Congratulations Wanlu!!
Uh huh, uh huh, just as I told you, Wanlu :)

And your last, final winning show, has not even aired yet.

Does he want you to be part of a kids newscaster section?

Yeah, please keep us aware as the results of your win come in.

I think Bob Baker said it best on page 3 here.

Best,
Tod
P.S. I think your Nicolo figure is first rate! Great voice selection (yours), character as a small boy, and all around very adorable figure. I think this explains one of your judges asking Nicolo to come to her child's next birthday party. Nicolo is a winner!
Wow, I just caught this thread! Congrats, Wanlu, well deserved!!!
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 14:08, ventriloguy wrote:
Congratulations Wanlu!!
[/quote]

Thanks Duane :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 17:17, chris mcbrien wrote:
Wow, I just caught this thread! Congrats, Wanlu, well deserved!!!
[/quote]

Thanks Chris :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 16:51, Tod Todson wrote:
P.S. I think your Nicolo figure is first rate! Great voice selection (yours), character as a small boy, and all around very adorable figure. I think this explains one of your judges asking Nicolo to come to her child's next birthday party. Nicolo is a winner!
[/quote]

Thanks Tod :) Nicolo will be pleased when he reads your review :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 16:48, Tod Todson wrote:

Does he want you to be part of a kids newscaster section?

Best,
Tod
[/quote]

Hi Tod,

They want me to be a part of a regular news broadcast...not a kiddie news type :)
Hmm, here's a thought then, Wanlu.

Get your excellent puppet team working on at least one replica-figure of a popular newscaster there that you can perform with.

That should NAIL the interview for sure :) I bet not only the executive team will laugh out loud at the idea, but the audience will love it as well. If you can't produce a figure in time, then at least bring a draft picture from your design team to show the executive your idea.

This should increase your "star" power, as well as possibly see additional sales to your puppet team.

Think about how this would play!

Best,
Tod
[quote]
On 2009-04-01 03:06, Tod Todson wrote:
Hmm, here's a thought then, Wanlu.

Get your excellent puppet team working on at least one replica-figure of a popular newscaster there that you can perform with.

That should NAIL the interview for sure :) I bet not only the executive team will laugh out loud at the idea, but the audience will love it as well. If you can't produce a figure in time, then at least bring a draft picture from your design team to show the executive your idea.

This should increase your "star" power, as well as possibly see additional sales to your puppet team.

Think about how this would play!

Best,
Tod
[/quote]

Thanks Tod...

Very nice idea but expensive...custom figures cost a fortune :)

I want to use the characters that I have and take advantage of the extra publicity :) If people see my figures in TV daily or maybe weekly...there is a good chance people will invite them to their events...I will just tag along :)

Wanlu
Expensive? Nah, it needn't necessarily be.

Just look at one of the popular newscasters that has some kind of distinguishing characteristic about them.

A man who has a special way he styles his hair, or a woman who always wears loud, colorful handkerchiefs. Then just put those distinguishing marks onto one of your pre-existing figures.

Ie., here in the US it would be easy to change a figure into Donald Trump (comb-over hair and a pink tie) or the singer Amy Winehouse (tall beehive hairdoo and elongated eyeshadow)

You probably see now. Just some slight and cheap modifications can do the trick.

Of course, first you have to have a newscaster (or even a local celebrity who gives you their approval) with some uniquness to them. That would be the hardest part :)

Good luck no matter what!
Tod

P.S. My mention of this is regarding a longer stint on TV. As you know, production teams like to keep things fresh. Utilizing this idea, as well as your current figures, might add to a greater longevity to producers. Hope this makes sense.
Makes perfect sense :)

Thanks a million :)

Wanlu
Some pictures from the "Hall of Fame" episode :)

I can't post these yet in Facebook or Multiply...not even in my own website. Not 'til all five episodes have been aired. 4th episode will be aired tomorrow :)

http://wanlu.net/TV5_1278.JPG

http://wanlu.net/TV5_1282.JPG

http://wanlu.net/TV5_1290.JPG

http://wanlu.net/TV5_1352.JPG

http://wanlu.net/TV5_1385.JPG

Wanlu
A family photo to treasure, to be sure!

http://wanlu.net/TV5_1290.JPG

Best cheers,
Tod
You are the MAN!!!!!
Thanks Tod and Donald :bigsmile:
W:

I loved the family picture. I hope they are as proud of you as you must be of them!

Bob
[quote]
On 2009-04-04 14:26, Bob Baker wrote:
W:

I loved the family picture. I hope they are as proud of you as you must be of them!

Bob
[/quote]

Thanks Bob! :)

Im so proud of my kids... and I think they are also proud of me :)

My son will try his luck in the future episodes using my marionette from Farnkie :)

W
Hey Wanlu,

Wow! Congratulations!

Sorry for the late greetings, but I am happy for you!

I haven't been able to be online much recently so haven't been keeping an eye on this board! When I get a chance I will check out all the links!

Does this mean a 500 billion 50 year deal at the Mirage with Terry Fator opening up for you is coming next???

Can you get me on your guest list??? woo hoo

AC
Ha ha ha :)

Not even close to that...

But I did get a mall tour...a couple of regular TV appearances including a shot as a newscaster :) Our pilot episode as a newscaster will be aired live on Tuesday :)

Thanks AC

Wanlu
Hey guy, any video of your big win yet??

Tod
No video yet...it will be aired on April 18 :)
Oh, I see, that makes sense now.

Six days till national stardom!

Happy Easter,
Tod
[quote]
On 2009-04-12 04:12, Tod Todson wrote:
Oh, I see, that makes sense now.

Six days till national stardom!

Happy Easter,
Tod
[/quote]

LOL...you are starting to make me feel like I'm going to be a star :)

To God be all the glory...I am just God's unprofitable servant.
WOW!! Congratulation Wanlu!!!

I hope it's not too late, since it haven't aired yet! :) :) :)
Thanks Budi :)
Ok, last night was the BIG, BIG night for you, guy!

The 18th, which is when your championship aired on national TV.

Let us know what happens as the media starts responding.

Sincere,
Tod
Hi Tod,

We were in a gig when the show was aired, when I went out of the venue, there were plenty of folks surrounding my van, I thought something bad happened. Turned out, they were waiting for me to get out of the clubhouse. Had a few photo ops and I even signed my very first autograph :bigsmile: cool :bigsmile:

This is basically the culture here in my country...you are a star if they see you in TV regularly, but since the 5th and final win was already aired, I won't be in that show anymore and the fame will slowly fade away...which I really don't mind. :)

In any case, I have been offered 2 regular TV shows. A kiddie show that airs every Tuesday night and the evening news broadcast where we have a segment every Friday. :)

Thanks be to God for all His unspeakable gifts...

Luke 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
Pictures soon...
Here's the video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOxeXuXkTx0
Wow! Thanks for posting the video. Great work, you're really making vents look good. We're all proud of you.
David
Thanks David :)
I'll try to find links to episodes 2 and 3 :)
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 22:49, Mr. Pitts wrote:
Wow! Thanks for posting the video. Great work, you're really making vents look good. We're all proud of you.
David
[/quote]

Thanks again David ;)

It was fast paced because in this this show, contestants have 90 seconds only to perform... :)
Wonderful, Wanlu! You created four individual characters...with four quick and satisfying bits...all in 90 seconds! No wonder you won!
Hoooray!!! Fantastic!
I absolutely love Bob Baker's congrats of you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjaQDWWRX0&NR=1

Says Lucille: "Wanlu is HOT...I'd like to have him myself...with all those children apparently he is talented at something else, too."

ROTF funny :) Very well done clip. Superb old granny, Bob!

With my own congrats,
Tod
Just posting it again in case some did not see it :bigsmile:

http://wanluthemagician.blogspot.com/2009/09/ventriloquist-wanlu2nd-hall-of-famer-of.html