(Close Window)
Topic: Chop Cup Balls
What are the largest size chop cup balls available..I have seen 2 inch chop sponge balls with crocheted covers but looking for solid balls ( crocheted cover ok ) Does anyone have a good source?
I'm going to make up a set of 1.5 inch monkey fist balls for my chop cup. I've been looking around and haven't found anything similar. Please report back here if you do find something.
Brett Sherwood's chopped deluxe balls are 1 1/8 inch, and they are gorgeous. If this is what you're looking for, I highly recommend buying some, as his work is excellent and his service is the best I've encountered in the world of magic retail. I ordered a set from him and received them in four days, international shipping. I also had quite an extensive email correspondence with him before and after my order--his customer service skills are unmatched.
I use 1 1/2" (maybe 1 5/8") RNT2 chop balls. Both balls are chopped, with wooden cores, so that I don't have to keep track of which ball is which. They work great with the Ickle Pickle Widemouth! The gaff is offset in the cup, so that I can make the ball act exactly the way I want it to. I use a woven trivet under the cup to make it work perfectly.

Hopefully, the sale of RNT2 will go through soon, so that ball production can resume.
James Tong makes balls in many sizes, colors, and styles. Do a search on The Café.
James Tong provides great service, he can do just about anything you ask for. Just send him a PM and he will gladly help you out.

I have had to ask for special balls to be made and he was more than willing to help me out.

Have fun folks! :) :) :)
The main thing to remember is that you need to be able to hold the ball inside your closed hand.
That is why I decided to go from one inch balls to 3/4 balls, there are some things that work better with the 3/4 balls.
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 01:58, Bill Palmer wrote:
The main thing to remember is that you need to be able to hold the ball inside your closed hand.
[/quote]
The 1 1/2" balls are the ones that I use for standup work. The angles are such that I can get away with using such a large ball, because my torso hides most of the bad angles. Another reason that I use those balls, rather than the ones that came with the IP Widemouth, is because the original ones are unusable with the cup. The cup calls for a larger ball with much less pull.

For close-up work, I presently use 7/8" balls in my pocket chop cup, so I can completely close my hand around them, if I choose to. The load balls are easily concealed, but how I do that is spelled out in Secret Sessions.