(Close Window)
Topic: Triumph
Vernon's routine in Stars of Magic is seminal.

I could never do that darned shuffle convincingly. Years ago I started doing it with a Zarrow. I have also done the slop shuffle variant. Truth be told the slop shuffle version seems to work quite well for me.

Magicians yawn when you start a slop shuffle. For the yawns we have one more technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLH-ctrbQa8
Jay Ose is often credited with he slop shuffle. However I have read in the Jimmy Grippo book that Jimmy Grippo showed it to Jay Ose and Jay Ose made quite a reputation with it.

I hope this helps.
Fooled the h*** out of me! HL.
I was minimally concerned about how badly you fooled me...but seeing the post by Mr. Lorayne I feel wonderful about it.
I think I just peed my pants a little... :(

That was completely baffling. It's certainly not as hard to fool me, I am sure, as it is to fool Mr. Harry Lorayne, but it's such a nice thing when it happens. And funny, too! "Buck twins, eat your heart out"... lol!

I'm tempted to go back and watch it again, but I kind of don't want to at the same time... You know what I mean?

Great job, of course!
Luigi
In June 1983 issue of "Apocalypse", Bob Hirsch has a Gaffed Deck version of Triumph using different gaff from this version, namely 'Killer Triumph'.

The editor of the magazine (I guess it was Mr. Harry Lorayne) mentions that there has been a version in which gaff cards (other than this version) were used.

However your handling is very nice to cover the use of the gaff.

Very nice version.

Hideo Kato

P.S.

It seems Mr. Harry Lorayne forgot that he mentioned that.
Stellar, Mr. Gunn...I haven't a clue.
[quote]On 2009-03-16 10:36, Hideo Kato wrote:
The editor of the magazine (I guess it was Mr.Harry Lorayne) mentiones that there has been a version in which gaffed cards (other than this version) were used.
[/quote]
This was incorrect. It should be :

The editor of the magazine (I guess it was Mr. Harry Lorayne) mentions that there has been a version in which gaffed cards (same as in this version) were used.

Hideo Kato

P.S.

There has been a similar version but you can spread all the cards face up and the selection appears face down.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 11:06am
-------------------------------
I searched my notes and found almost same tricks in principle as this trick.

Al Koran's version using same gaf which was published in April 1949 issue of "Wizard".
Almost same time, U.F.Grant marketed an similar trick (in principle) as 'Cheek To Cheek'.
Jean Hugard and Fred Braue wrote a similar but 3 cards revelation in their "Miralce Method With Prepared Cards". (Publish date escaped).
Later in July 1964 issue of "Genii", Al Koran published a variation with Glenn Gravatt's handling.

I must note the OP'S handling is never included in the forerunners. It is very strong to deceive magicians.

Hideo Kato
[b]Please[/b] don't tip this KG!

MMc
Kato-san,

I use no gaffs. This is done from a borrowed deck, in use.

Harry,

I'm pleased beyond measure you liked it.

Kent Gunn
Nikon Precision
Kagohara, Japan
Great job Kent! Gaffs were my first thought as well.
It's great you can do this with a normal deck.
Then the effect would be stronger if you spread the deck face up in the beginning to impress the deck is normal.

Hideo Kato
Fantastic Version. Completly baffled over here.

Alex.
Sorry for the former post. I now know your method. I know the reason you can't spread the deck face up in the beginning.

I believe it is different from the versions I listed above.

Hideo Kato
Add another "WOW!" from San Diego.... A great handling, Kent.
Great stuff Kent! Keep up the good work!
:wow:

Nice work Kent!
Excellent ! Another one on the fooled list here !
Wow! That was tremendous.
Excellent magic for magicians.
Hehe. I liked the subtleties. Are they published?
Hideo San,

You may want to private message Kent directly, rather than "revealing", even accidently, the method he's using.

I think the routine looks GREAT Kent. I saw this at, where else- GGG last year (a fantastic convention. Contact Kent for more info!) and think you've added some killer touches to it. Bravo!

For those wondering though- you CAN show the cards front and back, it CAN be a borrowed deck, and everything IS examinable at the end.

B to the E to the N to the Train
Glenn Bishop,

Thanks for the insight on the slop shuffle.

Did you watch the routine, Glenn?
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 10:09, bishthemagish wrote:
Jay Ose is often credited with he slop shuffle. However I have read in the Jimmy Grippo book that Jimmy Grippo showed it to Jay Ose and Jay Ose made quite a reputation with it.

I hope this helps.
[/quote]

I have never heard Jay Ose credited with the Slop Shuffle, though I don't doubt he used it. The Slop Shuffle was Sid Lorraine's creation.

Kent's handling here (which is different from that or other standard handlings) is quite nice.

-Jim
Kent, you are right. The aces are superfluous. This handling is the best you've come up with so far. Most would have been satisfied with what you were doing last year at the G3.

Good job,

Dave
Uh, wow. Glad I could express that in writing since my jaw is still on the floor.
Davester,

As usual I was making stuff too complex. I think it was some guy named Nelson who talked me into continuing to work on the concept . . .

Thanks Dave,
Very nicely done. I admire the nice little touches and clean handling of the deck throughout the routine - and the routine was fantastic!
Great job.
Brilliant handling. Very generous. Baffling.
I feel another attack of insomnia coming on... Brain=fried

Great job Kent!
That looked great; has to be the fairest looking routine I've ever seen.
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 15:17, kentfgunn wrote:
Davester,

As usual I was making stuff too complex. I think it was some guy named Nelson who talked me into continuing to work on the concept . . .

Thanks Dave,
[/quote]

Just to clarify. I didn't spit out some ancient pasteboard wisdom that I'd picked up from underground masters. I said, "Please don't make me sit through this %$%@ again! Stop inflicting this @%#& on your wife and your other friends!".

I guess you interpreted that to mean you should continue working on it. I'm glad you did but my bitterness and cynicism had nothing to do with the quality of your creation. Now, a real piece of advice, just like the Cups, call this one done before your fiddle it to mediocrity :)

Dave
It's a wrap kiddo. The simplicity of effect is all Vernon's. It is a wonderful effect. I hope to do this version, extant, for a very long time.

T'anks kid.
Boo! The obvious use of a midget is shameful!

Cheers! ;)
:applause:
Bravo Mr. Gunn...from one bubblehead to another... Ahooga!!
Simply the best version I've ever seen...

Cardamagically,
Dom :) ;)
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 16:46, Stanyon wrote:
Boo! The obvious use of a midget is shameful!

Cheers! ;)
[/quote]

So he fooled you: there were two midgets and you only noticed one... and you said nothing about the smart use of the currency sorting out machine.

Congratulations Kent, it fools me and I looked at it several times.
That was amazing... I don't remember the last time I was this much fooled my a card trick.
***The aces are superfluous.***

I dunno Dave, I kinda dig the 4 Ace version!

Purdy cool KG that you seem to have fooled some mighty big hitters with this gem, CONGRATS brutha! As you well know, this one of my all time FAVORITE tricks!

MMc
Dang! I knew I shouldn't have looked at it again! (and again. And again. And again... a few more times). Now I [i]think[/i] I have an idea how you did it. Which is way worse than [i]knowing[/i] how it's done, or having [i]no idea[/i] how it's done.

All I'll say is, if you're doing what I think you're doing, it's a) really frickin' smooth, and b) pretty ballsy in a couple of spots! Not that there's anything to see, obviously...

Still mind-blown,
Luigi
I know how it was done! REAL MAGIC. Kent Gunn was Merlin in a previous life.
between his Cups and Balls and this all I can say is WOW.

Made me set up straight and take notice.
Leo Jr.
Excellent!
Luigi,

I thought I had figured it out as well but after hanging out with Mr Gunn a couple weeks ago I found my thinking was FAR off base! Tis some devious thinking by the ol' Sea Dawg!
Don't you guys know you can't say midget any more. :)
Triumph... for magicians. Outstanding, but not as good as Vernon's.

Robert
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 20:47, Robert M wrote:

Robert
[/quote]

Hmmm. Not sure I agree. It's simple. To the point. I suspect laymen would love it.
Robert M,

Not for a moment do I believe ANYTHING I've ever done compares to Dai Vernon's work. I'll have to completely agree with you. The version I do is homage to Vernon's routine. Heck it is his routine with a slight variation in technique!

I can do my version better than I can the sequence in SOM. That's not Vernon's fault!!
So good and simple (in appearance) that I stopped trying to figure it out, and am just enjoying the burn.

Good stuff Kent!
[quote]

Robert
[/quote]

I don't know... I see what you're saying, in that this presentation of the routine feels tailored for card guys on a card magic forum, but I don't know that it couldn't easily be geared towards something for regular audiences.
I just told someone on facebook that one of my favorite things is when someone swears outloud in reaction to a card trick. I just did it. This is incredible! Another classic given the Gunn treatment. Triumph is my favorite trick. I often use Bannon's in the hand, or Zarrow on a table. I have NO idea how you did this Kent. I'm with Mickey, keep it to yourself.
Andrew,
It plays quite well in person and I think lay folk would get a huge kick out of it as is!

MMc
Very nice! VERY nice!
That scrambled my brain quite a lot to be honest
Quite simply: Ouch!

Back to the drawing board for me...

Syd
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 21:47, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
[quote]

Robert
[/quote]

I don't know... I see what you're saying, in that this presentation of the routine feels tailored for card guys on a card magic forum, but I don't know that it couldn't easily be geared towards something for regular audiences.
[/quote]

I do think this routine would play well on magicians and laypeople alike.
If I may suggest one small thing, I think the one handed cut is very nice but perhaps not at the right time and at the place. In retrospect of the effect, some laypeople may think that this is where he 'did something'. I would do a 'fair' cut that confirms the mixed condition as in the Vernon routine.
[quote]On 2009-03-17 09:28, magicator wrote:
some laypeople may think that this is where he 'did something'.[/quote]
My wife (non-magician) said "He separated the cards and reversed them".
I think this is the vital week part in the handling.

As magicians are quite sure that he did not pull out the cards, that part is no problem to magicians.

Hideo Kato
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 20:43, MickeyPainless wrote:
Luigi,

I thought I had figured it out as well but after hanging out with Mr Gunn a couple weeks ago I found my thinking was FAR off base! Tis some devious thinking by the ol' Sea Dawg!
[/quote]

Mickey,

I'm very likely to be off base, for sure. After racking my brain for a while, I now have a method with which I can reproduce the effect. It could be the wrong method, or the right one, but now I have an [i]idea[/i], you see, and so that wonderful feeling of being fooled has been substituted by the (wonderful, but qualitatively different) feeling of appreciating an exquisitely built effect.

It's just the way my brain works, I like to solve problems, and this put that famous burr under my saddle, and I just had to figure it out. I'll say, though, if I hadn't had the opportunity to watch the video over and over again, there would have been no way in hell for me to figure anything out.

Thanks again Kent for showing us your work!

Luigi
Luigi,

I'm envious! Even if you aren't accomplishing it with KG's handling, you've still solved a very cool puzzle! As time goes by my mind is beginning to work in these directions but I doubt I'll ever be a creator! Good news for me is there are guys like you and Kent that are and I can learn the trick as written and then add my own nuances!

MMc
This is excellent, Kent. I have a feeling you used some imps like the ones found on the Kellar and Thurston posters of yesteryear.

Jared
[quote]
On 2009-03-17 10:23, Hideo Kato wrote:
[quote]On 2009-03-17 09:28, magicator wrote:
some laypeople may think that this is where he 'did something'.[/quote]
My wife (non-magician) said "He separated the cards and reversed them".
I think this is the vital week part in the handling.

As magicians are quite sure that he did not pull out the cards, that part is no problem to magicians.

Hideo Kato
[/quote]

I have to think about that one. I'm not sure a laymenn would jump to that conclusion if they saw the cut in person.
For what it's worth, now that the mechanics are understood, by some. Here is a much rougher earlier version. This is proof positive that less is more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_oGxY1zgfA

This is a similar handling except I use the four aces, in different spots instead of the single selection.

There's a tell in here that gives it all away. If you see it, keep it to yourself, PLEASE.

KG
Tis the version I fell in love with! Kent's uncensored patter that sometimes accompanies this version makes it all the better!

MMc
Kent, I am pretty sure I know the method you used. If I'm right, it is similar to one described in a recently published beginner's magic book. But your management and technique in spreading the cards was absolutely stunning -- I still can't figure out how you did that so beautifully!! Thanks.
Rhomes, I don't think anyone is disputing that the basic method(ie not doing a stripout) has been around for a long time. When you get down to basics, either you are false shuffling or you are really shuffling but doing something to make the real shuffle not matter......

It's the replacement, the fans and the fair spreads that is new(well new-ish as applied in routine, not saying R* spreads in general)

While it may kill the "no sleights" handling you have here, I'd still prefer to see a half-pass at the end instead of the open turnover... even if a magician catches a halfpass you are so far ahead of them at that point it won't matter, and for laymen it takes away the open reversal and turns it into an open cut.

Also, I dislike that I am chiming in with the really cliche "Oh darn you shouldn't release this on video" statement, but this handling really makes people hang themselves on backtracking, and its too bad that with the video they can backtrack to see visually what they psychologically saw the first run through.
Hopefully we won't be seeing any shoddy attempts at "their" version any time soon!
I really enjoyed watching this. I've toyed with this very same concept, but couldn't find a way to make it work in a routine without completely sidetracking the plot. Well done!
I liked the four ace triumph as well - great stuff Kent.
Darwin Ortiz has some work on the same method at least in few of his routines. However the ribbon spread convincer I havent seen elsewhere.

Juha-Matti

PS this topic just proved how little most of this forum users really know about card magic :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 21:47, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
[quote]

Robert
[/quote]

[/quote]

Andrew makes a good point.

Robert
[quote]
On 2009-03-18 12:01, korttihai_82 wrote:
Darwin Ortiz has some work on the same method at least in few of his routines. However the ribbon spread convincer I havent seen elsewhere.

Juha-Matti

PS this topic just proved how little most of this forum users really know about card magic :)
[/quote]

Or, you could look at it differently. This topic could be proof that there are people on this forum who know a great deal about card magic and appreciate it, much in the same way that oenophiles cherish fine wine.

Some of us even love card magic so much that we wouldn't do anything to tip subtle work on a forum that is easily accessible to the general public. :)
I just saw this and enjoyed it very much. Too many times I think we look at the videos on youtube and start to over analyze them to death. Watching this made me feel like a kid again and why I enjoy watching great magic.

Bravo Mr. Gunn

John
[quote]
On 2009-03-18 12:36, BarryFernelius wrote:

Some of us even love card magic so much that we wouldn't do anything to tip subtle work on a forum that is easily accessible to the general public. :)
[/quote]

This is fantastic. Thank you, Barry!

No kidding.
[quote]
On 2009-03-18 12:36, BarryFernelius wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed. That's the problem with youtube though. This fooled me the first time I saw it but the second time through (a benefit I wouldn't have gotten from a live performance) I was able to figure things out. Rather than post what I saw on the forums I sent the author a PM saying basically "Great job. You fooled me bad. Now take it off youtube before people figure it out and spoil the fun for everyone else!"
If I don't toss this stuff up there. Nobody gets to see it. Some would say, "GOOD".

I realize repeated viewings of any magic trick will wrest the secrets more often than not. It's not about keeping the secrets. It's about enjoying the magic. I love magic, I love to watch stuff I've never seen before. I love to do magic of my own concoction. This forum has been a great deal of fun for me.

I thank you all for your inputs, thank you all for your compliments.

KG
I don't think the sharing of excellent magic performances is the issue.

And Kent, yours are indeed excellent. Thank you for sharing this.
No I agree that material should be shared. I just think its a shame that not everyone knows how to respect it once it has been.
Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

I agree with Daegs on the half-pass. If you were performing for a lay person and did this with a half pass, the effect would look like you literally did nothing to straighten out the cards. Doing the false cut always leads to people thinking that you can obviously manipulate the cards vs doing nothing looks like magic.

Regardless, this really fooled me when I first watched it. This is up there with your cups and balls as a real fooler. Fantastic work.
[quote]
On 2009-03-18 17:04, Jonathan_Miller wrote:
No I agree that material should be shared. I just think its a shame that not everyone knows how to respect it once it has been.
[/quote]

Exactly!

Kent, I look forward to seeing more of your great magic in June.
[quote]
On 2009-03-18 17:04, Jonathan_Miller wrote:
I just think its a shame that not everyone knows how to respect it once it has been.
[/quote]

Agreed. And well said.

Kent, you deserve our thanks and respect not just for coming up with splendid work, but also for stimulating our own thinking and creativity.
The single card version fooled me bad! Even after repeated viewings... Unfortunately, the four ace version screamed the answer. I guess because it is more subtle with a single card than with four.
'tis a thing of beauty brother! Congrats!
Excellent, very well done
Woaw! Beautiful! I think I haven't read the right books - yet! Not a single clue...
I appreciate all the great ideas. Trouble is the intention, when I devised the routine was to have it be apparently MOVELESS. Yes there are some sleights and techniques in the routine. It was designed for you guys, NOT for layfolk. If I do triumph for laypeople, I do a slop shuffle. It is a stronger, more emphatic display of mixing the cards.
I thought, as I PMd Kent, that it was done with some gaffed cards and I love the idea that I was wrong. I also like the single card version better. Great work.

... as you can see, Kent, it's another triumph !!!

From now on we might have to call you Shot instead of Kent... Gunn
Very nice! Fooled the hell out of me!

After about 10 viewings, I finally got it, but that's a nice method, especially for fooling fellow magi's!
Although most of us feel the single card version is better than four Aces version, the latter can be also very good if the four Aces were scattered face up in the face down spread (or face down in face up spread).

Hideo Kato
Mr.Gunn,

Thanks for the excellent ideas involved in the effect. I'm a really big fan of this, and I can't wait to start working on other applications. Looking forward for more stuff from you.

Mihai
Kent - first thanks for showcasing your work.

I was stunned at first (am still stunned but that's from starting Friday happy hour at 11am today!) and thought it was due to a case of a cardman fooling a beginner. Am glad to read so many vetern card guys were fooled too.
Tony,

Thanks for all the props in your blog! I had no idea the guy that ran the GGG was so cool.
And that's why they call ya "The Cucumber" brutha!
Really, really nice!

... and some ballsy displays (if my thinking is right, which it isn't always!)

Thank you for sharing Kent.
*Faints*

Show me this at the next Friday super secret meet.

a student,
Chris Brown
CB,

Anytime brudda. In ten years, I'll be fatter and uglier.

You kid, you'll be freakin' famous!

KG
Wow, that was incredible and with no gaffs simply outstanding and super clean
There's a certain "economy of information" aspect to most theatrical movies, simply because the average film is around 80 - 90 minutes long and most stories of any substance are complex enough to make [i]that[/i] a pretty tight schedule. So if, earlier in the movie, the characters take time to discuss the hero's grandfather's old pocket watch [that the hero inherited] (for example), you can be pretty sure that watch is going to be important later in the story. There is simply not enough time to waste on details that aren't important to the plot. What this means is that - if you're paying attention to the details while watching a movie - you can often predict what's going to happen later by what you've already seen.

Many times magic tricks are the bound by a similar economy. A magician who has a reasonable knowledge of technique (and is actually paying attention) can often discern method by simply noticing small details. That's why this routine didn't fool me. The inverted reassembly of the decks halves immediately following the selection is a minor detail, but a major tip off if you notice it. Also, I only know a few practical needs that a [i]reverse[/i] thumb fan would serve, and (given the economy of Kent's routining) there obviously had to be a good reason for [i]that[/i].

It also doesn't help any that I love the Triumph plot and have bothered to learn a few versions over the years. All that said, I liked the concept, and this is one of those routines that make me wish I could take off the magician's goggles long enough to see it through a layman's eyes.

TW
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 10:34, ilmungo wrote:
I think I just peed my pants a little... :([/quote]

You were "lizzin"
(if anyone watches 30 Rock tv show you'll know that one)

Wow Triumph blew me away.
Wow Kent,

I love the idea a LOT. What a great performance. Simple and direct.

It really fooled me bad the first 2 times. As mentioned if you'd done it for me in person, I'd be floored.

I agree with Thomas about the reverse thumb spread. I don't wanna say this but . . . I fan cards with both hands, if you can fan with your left thumb, then that will solve your reverse fan discrepancy.

This is by far the cleanest Triumph that I've ever seen.
Greg Rostami

P.S. I like the one card reveal . . . keep doing it your way and forget the Aces.
Greg, TW,

For magicians (and darned few magicians at that!) the RF is a tell. I can fan in either hand. I cannot yet fan to this trick's requirements in the right hand yet. Luckily there is no limit on how much practicing I can do!!!!

Thomas, glad you liked it. I'll pull the tell just for you!
[quote]
On 2009-04-01 17:22, kentfgunn wrote:
Greg, TW,

For magicians (and darned few magicians at that!) the RF is a tell. I can fan in either hand. I cannot yet fan to this trick's requirements in the right hand yet. Luckily there is no limit on how much practicing I can do!!!!

Thomas, glad you liked it. I'll pull the tell just for you!
[/quote]

Well, I think you know from our prior interaction that I like just about anything you do. It's nice watching the results of thorough experimentation and a willingness to think outside the box.

TW
Kent

I'm really shocked that you had these special plasma coated cards made by Cannon that can be electronically changed either to face or to backs at a distance by remote control.
This means, without possible doubt, that you had a stooge.
Lying to us by suggesting that your triumph is done by sleight of hand is within acceptable magician's lies, but I consider that you passed the line when you involved a stooge (maybe it was not human, but even if it's just a table it's a stooge never-the-less, especially when it's a non very practical folding one).
I'm really disappointed to see that your life in the submarines developed your taste for a type of underground entertainment which is way out of line: we'll see to it that no one allows you to do this alone in a subway or a sewer.
How could you send us such a torpedo without warning? Aren't torpedoes always announced by a warning or a flag?

:D
Etienne,

I can't believe you tipped the plasma cards! I'd never use anything made by Canon, though. They are my employer's competitor. Go Nikon.

I have a new twist on the Marlo-Lorayne poker deal. (The one in CUCM.) I'll send it along soon. I think you'll like it. It is NOT a sleight-free version. It's the exact opposite.
KG
Beautiful! Fooled me badly. Just wasn't crazy about the funky way you fanned the cards to have the selection inserted. Otherwise, mind-boggling!
EXCELLENT
Is this real life?

I can't see anything!

AAAAAAAAHHHH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieYaHqXeNmE

Here is a similar concept I released on a DVD.

As with Kent when I created this effect I was looking to remove as much as possible.

I will have to say his display seems to be original and WOW!

Thanks for posting this Ken I have been searching for the Holy Grail of triumphs and your display maybe bringing the magic world closer.

Thanks again,
Brent Braun
Brent,

Your version fooled me. I think it looks GREAT!

I think I'm doing something similar, using a four of a kind within a triumph routine here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_oGxY1zgfA

I enjoyed you as a performer!

KG
Very clean and fair handling, very nice !!
Your handling and Brent Braun's "Simply triumphant" are my favorite !

Many Thanks.

Nicolas
[quote]
On 2011-06-30 08:48, papawemba wrote:
Very clean and fair handling, very nice !!
Your handling and Brent Braun's "Simply triumphant" are my favorite !

Many Thanks.

Nicolas
[/quote]

And Bannon's "Last man standing" of course :)

Nicolas