(Close Window)
Topic: How to make the linking rings funny?
Hey everyone, does anyone know how you could make the linking rings funny? Cause I have some linking rings laying around that I have used a couple of times but they don't really have a place in my act because I mainly do comedy. So I'm wondering if anyone has any funny lines for the linking rings or if you know anyone that has a funny linking ring routine. please comment
magician 4life
The linking rings is most funny when you do a Do as I do routine with them. Will take two sets of rings but it is funny. The vice president of the Magic Castle Whit Haydn has a You tube video of him doing a very funny bit with the rings.
You can find him doing his bit here. http://www.whithaydn.com/video_clips.htm
Check out Dynamikex's Linking Ring routine on You Tube.
Becky Blaney did/does a hilarious LR routine where the rings get caught on the mic stand, mic cable, etc.

-=tabman
For kids, I have "hooked" my nose when pulling a ring up from hanging around my neck. That gets a laugh.
Hooked on the nose is a very timely bit, with reference to body piercing.

Nice visual as well.

I remember seeing the Whit Haydyn routine back in the late 70's. Still can be a funny routine...
Allen Hayden has a good routine.
http://www.professionalmagicroutines.com/pmr/pmrstore/shop/category.asp?catid=2
Whit Hayden's is great; but My favorite funny linking ring routine was one I saw 40 years ago, by Pete Biro. saw him at PCAM in San Josr in 1969, still my favorite!

He told me several years ago, he was working on a book, don't know if that is still something that might happen.
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 22:01, Magicalpro wrote:
He (Pete Biro) told me several years ago, he was working on a book, don't know if that is still something that might happen.
[/quote]

Yes, Biro's [i]History of the Linking Rings[/i]. I wrote the introduction for it about 20 years ago and invented the character, Coathanger Wilson. I hope he finishes it someday.

-=tabman
Thanks everyone for posting things and some good ideas. Keep posting I would like to her what everyone has to say.
I like Whit Haydn's because it only uses four rings, and is therefore very easy to transport.

Another good one is Terry Seabrook's on his "Magic is Entertainment" video (I believe he uses an entire set). Not only will you get a great routine, but also some extremely valuable wisdom on magic in general.
The book is nearing completion.
Regarding the original question about how to make the rings funny: First an observation, then a question.

Observation: How does one make anything funny?

Question: Why does M4L want to know?

(P.S. Pete, can't wait)
I always did a lot of jokes during it, some pretty cornball, but they got laughs, like making the so called 4 picture frame design with the rings and I say (to adult audiences) "And make a picture frame for a family of four, two children, one adult and one adultress..." (and for younger audiences) "and make a picture frame for a family of four, two children, one adult and one dog...well, dad is generally in the dog house." (yes they laughed at it). Use your imagination.