(Close Window)
Topic: The worst Tenyo trick ... .
We already know a lot of people's opinions about the best Tenyo trick, but if there is a 'worst' Tenyo trick, what do you think it would be?

Perhaps it is useful to split this question up into two categories:
1/ What is the worst Tenyo trick in your opinion when you just opend the package and read the manual, as in 'I knew that!'.
2/ What trick, that perhaps is very ingenious, would you NEVER perform in a performance in a restaurant or for fellow magicians? The ‘principle’ is too obvious for people who know a bit of magic or the principle is OK but it makes a lot of noise, … . There are A LOT of tricks in this category I think, I would say please mention the one that are ‘on top’ of this category :)

Here are the tricks that I nominate for both categories.

1/
MONEY CUTTER: a very obvious trick; even for ‘laymen’.
MAGICIAN’S FINGER: very obvious
LANCELOT: a little less obvious, nonetheless handling the trick makes the secret obvious (imho)

2/ among many others, these are the first that come up to my mind:
VANISHING POINT: The moment I saw this trick I knew how it was done. It is VERY obvious imho.
MONEY SHREDDER: Excellent trick, but it fails sometimes! Perhaps someone can give advice to make the trick work every time (with Euro bills if possible)?
FUTURE CLOCK: Am I the only one who thinks it makes too much noise?
CRYSTAL PYRAMID: An amazing trick, but it makes too much noise … .
FLOATING LADY: a rare, excellent trick, but very easy to figure out how it is done.
TRIO CIGARETTE: one of the three tricks is very obvious.

Greetings
David - Belgium
I don't think money cutter is obvious at all and think it is great (This is the one with the playing card right?)
There is no playing card envolved as far as I know. Here's a demo of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxg9kkLthY
1) + 2)
CREDIT SURPRISE - come on, a plastic blade should harm a credit card? Nice optical idea, nonetheless...
CUTTING EDGE - Sooo obvious and cheaply made, it's a shame...
CLEAN CUT - Maybe it fooled kids 20 years ago but nowadays every 6-year old figures out what's going on.

So far my first thoughts.
Oh ok I thought it was the one where you cut a bill with a playing card.
[quote]
On 2009-04-08 12:56, nicolino wrote:
CREDIT SURPRISE - ...
CUTTING EDGE - ...
CLEAN CUT - ...
[/quote]

I did not buy the first two tricks that you mention because they are indeed obvious, even for 'laymen' :), so I totally agree with you :)
I did buy the last trick (clean cut) however and I do not 100% agree that it is easily fugred out by most people, at least not in my experience. I think that most people who are interested in Magic know how it is done, however my(!) experience is that, as strange as it may seem to us, most people are NOT interested in magic whatsoever. Therefore a lot of people don't know what is happening when I perform the trick and are (most of the time that is)- blown away :)
[quote]
On 2009-04-08 07:11, Killertweety wrote:
There is no playing card envolved as far as I know. Here's a demo of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxg9kkLthY
[/quote]
I definitely have to agree on this being VERY OBVIOUS. Too bad as most Tenyo are ingenious methods.
Rennie
"Mystery Poodle" $40 bucks for this! (ebay sells for $22)
I've never performed Vanishing Point, and probably never will. All the others I have are good.
Hey Nicolino, just an idea about credit suprise that I have used, you can use a small pocket knife or razor blade and run it accros the jagged cutting line(makes the same noise) and replaces the plastic saw for the real thing. Tenyo obviously can't sell the trick with a real blade, but it can be substituted for the real thing.

Best,

Peter.
Depends on how it's executed.
I can never get Money Shredder to work either. Any tips would be useful.
[quote]
On 2009-06-18 06:27, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
[/quote]
Second this! It´s a shame as I love the thinking behind it.
[quote]
On 2009-06-08 16:08, Peter Loughran wrote:
Hey Nicolino, just an idea about credit suprise that I have used, you can use a small pocket knife or razor blade and run it accros the jagged cutting line(makes the same noise) and replaces the plastic saw for the real thing. Tenyo obviously can't sell the trick with a real blade, but it can be substituted for the real thing.

Best,

Peter.
[/quote]
Peter,
thanks for your advice, will try if it creates more illusion this way...
[quote]
On 2009-06-19 14:53, nicolino wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-18 06:27, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
[/quote]
Second this! It´s a shame as I love the thinking behind it.
[/quote]

I had a problem with the string not cutting the paper well. the paper would bunch accordion fashion and make a mess. now I fold the paper lengthwise and make a SHARP crease, fold it the other direction and crease again along the same line. just to be sure, I also make a slight beginning tear at the bottom end. with this preparation it seems to work reliably.

prepare the paper ahead of time. during performance crease the bill (it is not necessary to make a sharp crease because you do not intend to tear it, but it appears to the speccys that one is serious about it).

one of the assembly members got the effect after I showed this and (at last report) has not had any trouble performing it.
Excalibur t-122

this conversion of a row of slugs into a row of coins looks workable. but it has never once come close to functioning. the sword that is supposed to motivate the slugs skates right across their smooth surfaces. the coins aways jam and refuse to come out of hiding.

there must be a prototype that works. I wonder what could have happened to the production model. should I try sanding down the coins? is there somewhere I could get teflon powder to add?

I may never know.
1) I'll put money shredder in the 1st group.
I do not own the trick but I suppose to a layman like me, it looks as if the string was brought in front of the bill but behind the paper, because of the way it was brought into the center from the side. So I didn't felt that there was any magic at all?

2) I'll second Crystal Pyramid due to the noise. I like mini-morphosis a lot, but there is also the problem with the noise. Was wondering if the noise was only inherent in the final production piece or was it apparent in the prototype as well?

Anyone tried doing any modifications or DIY improvements and care to share?
My Crystal Pyramid doesn't make much noise... it hardly makes any noise actually... BUT... erm... when I bought it (it was like 3 years ago) I didn't know that it was a Tenyo trick and mine was not made by Tenyo. So it doesn't make any noise but you can see that something is wrong on the pyramid stand, the "lines" can be seen if you pay a little attention.

For me it's one of the best ideas ever; like a famous French magician once said "the explanation is nearly better than the effect". But that's just his opinion... and mine also ok... :)
Does anyone own a smooth working version of WONDER WINDOW? I have had several Wonder Windows (4 to be exact) and not one worked as it should.

This one goes with 'Excalibur', two tricks from Tenyo that just do not work as far as I know ... :thumbsdown:
[quote]
On 2009-12-19 11:21, Killertweety wrote:
Does anyone own a smooth working version of WONDER WINDOW? I have had several Wonder Windows (4 to be exact) and not one worked as it should.

This one goes with 'Excalibur', two tricks from Tenyo that just do not work as far as I know ... :thumbsdown:
[/quote]

I agree with you Killertweety my Excalibur and Wonder Window has never work!!! I will appreciate any tips to make them work smooth.
I am also have problem with my wonder window...
I am also have problem with my wonder window...
Hey finally I got a Wonder Window that works perfectly.

I did a video demo of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5F5ynG4Ok
Wonder Window is a great trick: you just have to practice it. I've never had one that didn't work.

The worst Tenyo trick ever made is the new China Surprise. Utter rubbish.

I've seen Money Shredder demonstrated and it seemed to work. I never tried it, however.
I would add: ESCAPE KING T-204 to this list.

Just saw a video on it before I was going to buy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UukEHPdd_jQ

But it is so obvious, I couldn't buy it.
Does it actually fool people?

Steve
I would add: ESCAPE KING T-204 to this list.

Just saw a video on it before I was going to buy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UukEHPdd_jQ

But it is so obvious, I couldn't buy it.
Does it actually fool people?

Steve
I don't get the Fadeaway Case - nothing more than a gimmick that blurs away a dollar bill. So what? Who watching that would be surprised, or even interested?
&
Thunderstaff - The cardboard flags aren't well made enough for the gimmick employed to be reliable.
SUMMARY OF WORST TRICKS:
MONEY CUTTER: a very obvious trick; even for ‘laymen’.
MAGICIAN’S FINGER: very obvious
LANCELOT: handling the trick makes the secret obvious (imho)
VANISHING POINT: The moment I saw this trick I knew how it was done.
MONEY SHREDDER: Excellent trick, but it fails sometimes!
FUTURE CLOCK: Am I the only one who thinks it makes too much noise?
CRYSTAL PYRAMID: An amazing trick, but it makes too much noise … .
FLOATING LADY: an excellent trick, but very easy to figure out how it is done.
TRIO CIGARETTE: one of the three tricks is very obvious.
CREDIT SURPRISE - a plastic blade should harm a credit card? Nice optical idea,
CUTTING EDGE - Sooo obvious and cheaply made, it's a shame...
CLEAN CUT - Maybe it fooled kids 20 years ago
Mystery Poodle" $40 bucks for this! (ebay sells for $22)
Excalibur t-122
mini-morphosis, I like a lot, but there is also the problem with the noise.
WONDER WINDOW? Does anyone own a smooth working
China Surprise -The worst Tenyo trick ever made . Utter rubbish
ESCAPE KING T-204 -it is so obvious, Does it actually fool people?
Fadeaway Case - blurs away a dollar bill. So what?
Thunderstaff - flags aren't well made enough for the gimmick to be reliable.
[quote]
On 2009-11-15 19:08, guerrestellari wrote:
1) I'll put money shredder in the 1st group.
I do not own the trick but I suppose to a layman like me, it looks as if the string was brought in front of the bill but behind the paper, because of the way it was brought into the center from the side. So I didn't felt that there was any magic at all?

[/quote]

A slight change in handling will hide the string sliding around the bill.

At the point in the instructions where the performer shows the string behind the bill, combine the next two steps. As the left hand turns palm downward (turning over the case) pull the string around the bill. By the time the case is completely turned, reposition the string at the center so it looks the same as before.

This is deceptive because the larger motion hides the smaller one. Perform it as a smooth action -- not like a jerk. It should match the style of the other moves in the performance.
My Wonder Window works perfectly. I've had half a dozen or so and had no problems. You need to follow the instructions EXACTLY. Perhaps they're subject to warping if kept in the sun or something like that.

As far as Excaliber, it also works if you follow the instructions EXACTLY.

I've never had a Tenyo trick that outright didn't function unless it was defective, but quite a few of them make a godawful noise when the plastic stuff moves around.

Most under-appreciated Tenyo Tricks: Ultra Tube, Card Changer, and Midas Machine. Miracles.

Worst Tenyo Tricks: you have your choice among the line for 2010 (Angelo's trick excluded).
Richard, what do you mean with 'exactly', because I do follow the instructions for Excalibur but it doesn't work ... the coins never slide all the way to the end. Is there something that needs extra attention when performing the trick? Like, slide very fast with the sword, keep the apparatus at an exact angle etc . ... ?
Also, I'v had a few wonder windows and there's only one that works OK. Also, here, is there something that needs extra attention?
Here you can see a video demo of The Midas Machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgTszBQ8qEs
China surprise--- I was surprised what a piece of crap !!!
The demo for Vanishing Point seemed almost too obvious too me. So obvious that I keep wondering if Im missing something important.
Vanishing point is simple but he can become extremely effective but Without one perfect mastery everybody will understand in the first blow of eye when is the ball and everything will be missed, gestures(movements) really have thus to be do perfectly while seeming totally natural and it is not very esay.
Gotta agree with China Surprise, although I got Magician's Finger and play it more as a gag than anything. It's a bizarre effect with a comic twist, wha? Terribly obvious. But China Surprise, for the price, is ridiculous.
I will add Anti Gravity Rock to the list. I never performed it becasue it's not angle proof, simply give the secret away!
Ok ok ok
I like the idea of anti gravity rock but the props is very bad quality.
Would have to disagree with Anti-Gravity rock being "a worst Tenyo" trick. If we are being honest very few Tenyo tricks are used in serious performance. I think Anti-Gravity rock is a great example of Tenyo novel method and effect. The rock with the "lock and release" mechanism and the very clever platform provide a neat illusion of levitation. The translucent ring also makes the angles very manageable. As a magic toy Anti-gravity rock is very cool. I do not use the term magic toy in a negative way, many Tenyo items fit this discription. However that is also the appeal to many of us collectors.

John
Metamorphsis - my prop just do not work... I can't read Japanese either.
Escape King - not to mentioned method is too obvious, it should design the props to use with Poker size playing cards
Antigravity rock - nice concept but it will expose the secret right away
I do agree the concept of Antigravity rock is nice but it can't be done in most situation except filming, since the camera is fixed in position. It looks good to watch it in youtube but like I said it's a different story when perform it close up!
How about Money Splash? Does it work as smooth as the Tenyo video?

Thanks,
John
[quote]
On 2010-04-25 13:35, Killertweety wrote:
Richard, what do you mean with 'exactly', because I do follow the instructions for Excalibur but it doesn't work ... the coins never slide all the way to the end. Is there something that needs extra attention when performing the trick? Like, slide very fast with the sword, keep the apparatus at an exact angle etc . ... ?
Also, I'v had a few wonder windows and there's only one that works OK. Also, here, is there something that needs extra attention?
[/quote]
Killertweety I finally made it work a Tenyo Excalibur!!...I made a video demo with the apparatus working soooo smooth..will upload it to my youtube channel this weekend...
[quote]
[/quote]
Here is a Tenyo Excalibur video demo...I just added some cooking oil and the magic happened!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5KgQ-rBKtI
Great! So you just rub oil on the US Quarter coins?
Yes...this plus a lot of trials that helped to spread the oil thru the different parts of the apparatus...
I have heard that mineral oil is good for lubricating plastic. Maybe that would work here. I think it is less likely to spoil.
[quote]
On 2010-09-25 11:11, magic patagonia wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
Here is a Tenyo Excalibur video demo...I just added some cooking oil and the magic happened!!!:

[/quote]

Nice video, and nice little illusion!
Nice surprise ending, too..I thought the disks would come out cut in half.. :) ...
[quote]
On 2010-10-08 00:03, Cyberqat wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-09-25 11:11, magic patagonia wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice video, and nice little illusion!
[/quote]
Thank you!!!
[quote]
On 2010-10-09 08:09, joseph wrote:
Nice surprise ending, too..I thought the disks would come out cut in half.. :) ...
[/quote]
Thank you!!!
Richard Kaufman said,"Wonder Window is a great trick: you just have to practice it." And yet, it says right there on the bottom front of the package: This trick requires no practice. (!) Tenyo Forever Ribbon says the same thing, and yet, if you didn't practice it a couple of dozen times, you'd surely blow the trick the first time out.
I think we all know that there is so such thing as a trick that does not require some practise. I have had two Wonder Windows and both have worked great. In fact it is one of my Tenyo favorites.

John
I just used myWonder Window for the first time and it worked 90%. I think I account for the 0% that didn't work smoothly. Overall, I am impressed. Remember, this was one of the few tricks usurped by Henning and Steinmeyer for their never released set of Tenyo tricks.
I wasn't very enthousiastic when I got my first Wonder Window - the darn think got stuck every time. I have had quite a few Wonder Windows since then (including a few I 'tested' before selling because the buyers asked me to) and all of them (about 6 or 7) worked flawlesly. You do have to follow the instructions carefully, for example when sliding the gimmick to the center make sure your 'middle bar' clicks when it reaches the center, don't stop too early.
I have buy 2 and 2 broken :(
2011's Cloud Money is rather disappointing.
Magicians finger is another really bad trick...
[quote]
On 2011-03-30 12:28, magicbob116 wrote:
2011's Cloud Money is rather disappointing.
[/quote]

The first time EVER I did not buy a new Tenyo item immediately when it was released because it is so obvious ... . I'll buy it eventually and expect the worsed possible, then it will perhaps turn out to be not THAT bad ... :)

[quote]
On 2011-03-30 12:30, stuartle wrote:
Magicians finger is another really bad trick...
[/quote]

Well, as a real 'magic' trick I agree for adults, but it's GREAT for children!
Also, as a 'gag' for adults it is also good :) Tenyo released much worse tricks then this imho. My alltime [i]favourites[/i] remain 'Money Cutter' and 'China Surprise'.

[quote]
On 2010-08-25 17:20, ropeadope wrote:
How about Money Splash? Does it work as smooth as the Tenyo video?

Thanks,
John
[/quote]

Well in my case it does not (well, 10% of the time it does not), but to be honest I just tested it (with USA currency) for the second time in my life (a few times of course). Perhaps this needs good practice to shake the apparatus 'in the good way'?

Anyone else have an opinion about this? In the Difatta video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8VSaEuz5k) it works great ... .

Also, does this work with certain EURO-coins?

By the way, I really don't like Tenyo always (wel, in the past) using Dollar currency for their tricks (exception: Trisector had a manual for other currency, not for EURO at that time - anyone know how to use EURO bills ... ?). I really hope the Tenyo company will have money-tricks in the future with EURO-coins or -bills ... .
Tunnel of Darkness...not worst per se...but often the red die falls free of the cage and lid when it emerges from the tunnel. Now to be fair...I try to do it as Magic Patagonia does on his video (his amazing videos squeeze every ounce of potential for each Tenyo trick)...ie pulling the white die/cage through the tunnel without anyone holding both ends. This is not how the instructions advise. The instructions specifically state that the magi should cover both ends and that the spec should pull the chain and run the thing through the tunnel. My guess is that by doing this it DOES make it surefire. Otherwise the red die, cage and lid might end up a mess at the end.

Anyone play with this?
Besides Wonder Window apparently having a common manufacturing defect, is anyone really fooled by it? I've shown Magic Patagonia's youtube presentation video to 4 people, and 3 out of the 4 had it figured out in under a minute.
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 12:45, cyberdave03 wrote:
Besides Wonder Window apparently having a common manufacturing defect, is anyone really fooled by it? I've shown Magic Patagonia's youtube presentation video to 4 people, and 3 out of the 4 had it figured out in under a minute.
[/quote]

For me: 4/4 :) The first time I bought the trick I even knew how it worked! I agree, it is 'kind of' inspectable before and after, but come on ... this trick is so obvious ... .
I really don't understand why this is some people's one of the best Tenyo items ... . Of course, it is a nice mechanism, that is true :)
For trisector The 50euros bills are perfect.
Anyone who might be fooled with the classic Penetration Frame I would think would easily be fooled with Wonder Window.
I'll try it again Bill, this time with my students, see how much of the 19 figure out how it was done :)

About Tunnel Of Darkness, you are absolutely right (at least I have had this problem too a lot of times - it works a bit better when you pull the chain fast, at least that is my experience, but then it looks weird/unrealistic), so I also let people hold/close both ends with their hands.

Stereo, thanks for the advise. Just bought a spare one from Hitomi and will 'make' it into a EURO-trisector :)
Still stick by Wonder Window. I love this effect and think people are fooled with it. The opening is so fine you can show both sides of the window before penetrating it with the card. My favorite of the Tenyo penetration effects. The fact that that you can remove the "glass" panel and have it examined sets it apart from the Glass Borad and Mystery Triangle. It is always one of my top go to items when pulling something from the "Tenyo cabinet of mystery" to show a friend.

Cheers,

John
[quote]
On 2011-04-04 09:58, J M Talbot wrote:
Still stick by Wonder Window. I love this effect and think people are fooled with it. The opening is so fine you can show both sides of the window before penetrating it with the card. My favorite of the Tenyo penetration effects. The fact that that you can remove the "glass" panel and have it examined sets it apart from the Glass Borad and Mystery Triangle. It is always one of my top go to items when pulling something from the "Tenyo cabinet of mystery" to show a friend.

Cheers,

John
[/quote]
...it would be great to see everyones "Tenyo Cabinet of Mystery"...we all know stereo's and killertweety's ones from their great sites...it would be interesting to see the other ones from this forum...maybe we can get ideas on how to organize our items...will try to upload a photo of mine...not sure how to attach photos here...
[quote]it would be great to see everyones "Tenyo Cabinet of Mystery"...[/quote]

In my case, it would be "Tenyo [i]Box[/i] of Mystery". :)
I agree - would be tempting, and I also agree: in my case you would only see 21 cardboard boxes (can't display them any longer due to the growing collection and the steady place.... :)
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 12:14, towledge wrote:
Tunnel of Darkness...not worst per se...but often the red die falls free of the cage ...
[/quote]

Too late my friend, too late! The "tunnel" was part of one of my first close up programms...about 30 years ago!
And only now I know the risk... *shudder* ;-)

R-U-D-!

@Nicolino: Unfortunately, I don't have :-( Greets from Austria to Germany ;-)
Hey-dee-hoh Rudi,

you should come by more often - it's a lovely place here and as soon as you own at least one Tenyo item you're welcome to participate in our earthshaking conversations.... ooops, forgot you passed all your tricks on me already... :(

Enjoy your day on the golf range, we'll talk later! :)
[quote]
On 2011-04-17 05:50, nicolino wrote:
Enjoy your day on the golf range, we'll talk later! :)
[/quote]

I've found (and know) only Tenyo's "Black Hole" - I'm looking for "Sliding Hole" - or better "Sliding Holes" 1 - 18 ;-)

R-U-D-!
A while back on this thread...Excalibur was being discussed and Magic Patagonia suggested using cooking oil to help lubricate...then Dragonash suggested mineral oil. Has anyone else tried either of these? Is either one better on Tenyo plastic?
I just received an Excalibur this week. Tried it last night and it worked OK... not sure if I got lucky... what is the main issue that people are having with this?
BTW, what EURO coins work best for Excalibur? Mine has also just arrived... :)
I wasn't necessarily singling out Excalibur...but Tenyo's typical moving plastic parts in general.
I understand Towledge. There has been chatter in the past on issues with Excalibur and was curious what the main problem was.

Cheers,

John
I have no problems with my excalibur too. It work perfectly.
What I meant was for other Tenyo effects with moving plastic parts...what do you guys think would work better...cooking oil or mineral oil to help lubricate? I'm purposely being vague as I don't want to reveal any secrets for specific tricks.
I don't see other Tenyo trick with moving plastic parts necessiting help to work fine. Maybe you can just put initial of tricks to help us.
[quote]
On 2011-04-20 17:07, J M Talbot wrote:
I just received an Excalibur this week. Tried it last night and it worked OK... not sure if I got lucky... what is the main issue that people are having with this?
[/quote]
Sometimes the quarter coins don’t get into the slider fluently/they get stuck sometimes - that's basically it. The other part of the trick works fine.
Another issue: the INCREDIBLE noise it makes :(, but you weren’t referring to that I believe :).
Excalibur is a good trick when it works, however the noise gives it away and makes it hard to perform without giving away the secret.
[quote]
On 2011-04-20 17:25, nicolino wrote:
BTW, what EURO coins work best for Excalibur? Mine has also just arrived... :)
[/quote]
I tried them all without succes Felix … .
[list]
[*] The 10- and ‘above’ pieces are too thick;
[*] the 5 cents pieces and less are too small in diameter :(. Perhaps we can try pasting some strips on the slider to narrow it since 5 cent's are very thin and slide easy over eachother from what I've tested ...? Then again 5 cents are much smaller and have another color, so this is a bit far fetched perhaps ... .
[/list]
JM, someone once told me the Canadian quarters work better then the American ones … can you compare this for us? (if so, remember the deal we had Wank lol ;) )[quote]
On 2011-04-21 22:42, towledge wrote:
What I meant was for other Tenyo effects with moving plastic parts...what do you guys think would work better...cooking oil or mineral oil to help lubricate? I'm purposely being vague as I don't want to reveal any secrets for specific tricks.
[/quote]
Do you mean helping the parts move or make the trick more silent? And I wouldn’t matter that much revealing part(s) of Tenyo tricks since almost everyone here knows how they basically work – and if not and some ‘spies’ are among us let them drool on the great mechanisms that make these tricks work ;) Or am I being to bold here girl(s?) and guys ?
You know what I do for Excalibur. I don't even bother trying to accomplish what needs to be accomplished in one swipe of the sword. I do it in three movements and thus specs get to see not 1 but 3 penetrations! After first I say would you like to see it again? I run the sword up change position so it is now vertical and resting on table and do a third time. This guarantees what we need to accomplish. Each sword cut can be interpreted as a PENETRATION and I do each one in a quick ripping motion to justify the sound. Afterall it is a metal sword penetrating metal coins.

What do you guys think of this?
**** I don't understand very well what you do because my bad english. Maybe you can explain me again with simple words and more details ? Or in Pm. This sound very interesting.
Thanks Tweety for the detailed EU-informations! IIRC correctly I have some CAN quarters somewhere in my drawer - will check tomorrow and let you know!
Bonna Pascua!
That is a great idea Towledge! (Stereo, perhaps this will clarify it for you) You mean that you just go with the sword back and forwards three times in stead of one time as suggested in the manual? That way the coins have more 'chance' to get into place?
Yes exactly Killertweety. Three "penetrations".
Three is always better than one ^^
I think Undercover Cube blows
I agree for sure, far from one of the best!!!
Actually all the Tenyo tricks work much batter with Canadian coins! Am willing to trade four magical Canadian quarters for a "Floating Lady"...

John
For Undercover Cube, Petrick (of "and Mia") developed the routine. According to him the one Tenyo printed is an off-the-cuff one he proposed with a polished routine to follow. When he came up with the final routine, they had already printed the preliminary one. He sells the finished routine (which is a wonder) but only supplies it if purchasing the effect from him. I thought I could remember it; I had a set already and did not want to pay for another. Alas, I hardly remember it at all.

The last I heard they were operating out of Las Vegas.
Interesting info Dragonash, thanks for sharing. I saw Petrick and Mia lecture a couple of times in the past. Petrick has a great Tenyo mind (ie he loves clever gimmicks and methodology) I have his "Signature Magic" series in the collection as well. They are not quite as clever as most Tenyo items but well made and reasonably priced. His "Slicey Dicey" looks great on the shelf!

John
[quote]
On 2011-04-22 11:11, Killertweety wrote:
JM, someone once told me the Canadian quarters work better then the American ones … can you compare this for us? (if so, remember the deal we had Wank lol ;) )
[/quote]
I found some CN quarters in my drawer but also some Italian 10 Lira pieces - they are nearly identical and probably easier to find for you European guys....

See picture below!
Yeah, but it is much more manly to perform with coins that have a wild moose on them versus a couple of stalks of wheat! <g>

John
[quote]
On 2011-04-29 13:52, J M Talbot wrote:
Yeah, but it is much more manly to perform with coins that have a wild moose on them versus a couple of stalks of wheat! <g>

John
[/quote]

I didn't know coin adornments had anything to do with being "manly". My Wife ordered me a PINK Hello Kitty debit card, when I bust that sucker out, I get great reactions. Her logic in ordering it for me was that I would psychologically be inclined to use it less and she was right. That said, people say, you must be pretty secure in your manhood to use the card. They're also right and my 2 daughters love the card too.

Either coin is manly, just depends on the "MAN". ;)
LOL!
I used to do Wonder Window all the time. Bought about half a dozen of them and four work fine--two didn't work at all and I pitched those.

The worst Tenyo Trick? What about "Money Shredder"? Can anyone even get this to work?
Richard, didn't you mention earlier in this thread all your Wonder Windows worked? ;)

[quote]
On 2010-02-06 20:40, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Wonder Window is a great trick: you just have to practice it. I've never had one that didn't work.
[/quote]

For Money Shredder, tried it a few times and the first couple of times it didn't work, but after playing with it I got the hang of it and it works now (I believe I used a bill that is slightly smaller then the dollar bill which makes it easier for the string to 'do it's thing' ...). Never used it again after that to be honest.
When recently going through my Tenyo stuff, I found two Wonder Windows that were segrated in a ziplok bag--I now recall that they didn't work very well. The other four I have work with no problem.
[quote]
On 2009-04-08 12:56, Nicolino wrote:
CLEAN CUT - Maybe it fooled kids 20 years ago but nowadays every 6-year old figures out what's going on.
[/quote]

If you do the Hot Tips routine that is outlined on the Official Tenyo Site you will hopefully have a new found respect for this trick. When you push the long rope in and the gimmicked pieces move, it is very convincing and then to actually remove one of the gimmicked pieces and re-attach it, it totally confuses the audience. At first they will think that have it figured out, but by adding these two steps to the routine, they will be confused.

I just looked at the second Hot Tip on Clean Cut and it is quite a bit to follow. That must have been the case years back when I found it. My removal treatment is much simpler.

I cut the rope, push the ends in for extra effect, close the cutter, slide the rope through so that the end is just inside of the cutter, I make the cut and then remove the small piece, show it to the audience, replace the piece and then heal the rope. It works well. Try it.
[quote]
On 2010-06-19 19:43, brangwinj wrote:
China surprise--- I was surprised what a piece of crap !!!
[/quote]

I really like this trick. I like to perform it with young males who are into sports (no shortage of them) What I do is say "would you like to play a game of Chinese basketball? The closer tube is 2 points and the further tube is a 3 pointer." It drives them crazy when I continue to beat them.
[quote]
On 2010-09-25 18:29, dragonash wrote:
I have heard that mineral oil is good for lubricating plastic. Maybe that would work here. I think it is less likely to spoil.
[/quote]

I think a good oil to use for Tenyo Magic Tricks is hobby oil that is plastic safe.
My post above is about Mystery China Box not China Surprise.

I agree that China Surprise is one I will never buy.
Excellent idea for Clean Cut :)
Pop up card is not one of my favorites.

I like Color Changing CD, Mickey Mouse(Japanese version). but the materials are cheap, thin cardboard, which is a shame.
I originally was only planning to get the Tenyo that were great performers, but now I am leaning toward getting more of the numbers.

I can't believe that I am considering getting tricks like Golden Fleece and Thunder Staff. :-(

What is happening to me?
AA
...and yet another member[url=http://ps.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=89954] in our circle[/url].
Visiting hours every 2nd wednesday 07:00 pm.
Floating Lady is a very dumb trick. It's cute enough to watch but to perform it makes it quite clear it's pretty lame. My kids figured it out in 5 minutes!
I'll be there for sure Nicolino.
... but I might need more than one session per week.
:)
[quote]
On 2012-02-06 08:44, Houdini103126 wrote:
Floating Lady is a very dumb trick. It's cute enough to watch but to perform it makes it quite clear it's pretty lame. My kids figured it out in 5 minutes!
[/quote]

I desagree, I never figure out how floating lady work in detail. Because there is the plate with drawing.
[quote]
On 2012-02-06 01:33, The Amazing Azzam wrote:
I originally was only planning to get the Tenyo that were great performers, but now I am leaning toward getting more of the numbers.

I can't believe that I am considering getting tricks like Golden Fleece and Thunder Staff. :-(

What is happening to me?
AA
[/quote]
Why you don't like Golden Fleece?....
I'd love to see Golden Fleece in action Magic Patagonia - hint hint ;) It's not a bad trick at all.

The problem with Floating Lady is the clear plastic 'window' gets scratched after a few performances leaving traces on how the gimmick works: in 'not so ideal' light conditions you can see the gimmick moving.
[quote]
On 2012-02-06 01:33, The Amazing Azzam wrote:

What is happening to me?
AA
[/quote]

Funny, I'm leaning the other way. Originally wanted to be a completest, but now I'm thinking of selling the stuff I don't like (ie-Thunder Staff :)) or don't use (ie-moonspinner) or stuff whose routine is too hard to remember (ie-parabox). I'm finding I get more fun being able to do the trick than owning them all. On the other hand it was easy collecting Tenyo cause all I had to do was buy what I didn't have. Now, the hard part is to figure out what tricks I will like by description only & everyone's reviews.
[quote]
On 2012-02-07 13:50, Killertweety wrote:
I'd love to see Golden Fleece in action Magic Patagonia - hint hint ;) It's not a bad trick at all.

The problem with Floating Lady is the clear plastic 'window' gets scratched after a few performances leaving traces on how the gimmick works: in 'not so ideal' light conditions you can see the gimmick moving.
[/quote]

That is why I want to try to find an unopened version of Floating Lady. Seems hard to find :(
I just bought a "Fadeaway Case" and this gets my vote for the worst Tenyo I own. It was brand new in the package, but it was not working out of the package, and the production quality was terrible. I had to take it apart to get it working again. There is a loop of plastic f**m between two rollers that had separated and the adhesive was sticking to the inside of the case. Once I got it working again, it was disappointing that the bill or card cannot be made to entirely vanish because the f**m is slightly transparent on the opaque side.

John
The quality of the case is pretty good I think, I like the whole design. The effect is more like an experience, and it work fine in mine. It's special trick for sure. There is some routine where you can make a selected card appear in the case using clear plastic card like the one on See Trough card.
For me it's not the Tenyo worst trick.
Mine came broken and well and I had to do the same fix to get it working. I find it to be an OK trick. Not terrible but not great either.
I am just disappointed that the quality control is so poor that a trick can leave the factory broken. And from xl18's post above I am not the only person to experience this. I think the effect also could be improved had they used a more opaque f**m that would enable the card or bill to completely disappear. On the whole, it's not a terrible trick, but it has been the most disappointing that I have bought.

John
I have never seen anyone manage to get Golden Fleece to work. Ditto for that trick of Michael Sibbersen's with the card pips printed on the tube--that's a great idea, but while I saw Michael do it with his prototype and I could see a definite card index, I was never able to get it to work with the version that was mass produced.
Forgot all about this thread! Can one of the moderators merge the two threads on Worst Tenyo Tricks?

I have to bring a Money Shredder with me to Tokyo and get Mr. Sugawara to demonstrate it for me. When I told him that people were having trouble doing it, he seemed perplexed and thought it worked fine.
Mini-morphosis gets my vote. Forget the noise -- the gimmick doesn't always work and you have to fuddle with it during a performance.
I agree that Clean Cut is too obvious -- same with ZigZag Cig.
I'll give Angelo Carbone (the inventor) the benefit of the doubt on "Mini-Morphosis." Something might not have come through on the manufacturing end.
[quote]
On 2013-02-11 19:23, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I'll give Angelo Carbone (the inventor) the benefit of the doubt on "Mini-Morphosis." Something might not have come through on the manufacturing end.
[/quote]
Oh yes, it is an ingenious mechanism. Didn't mean to slight the creator.
Myself, the trick Bioshock, T-190 is useless. I have seen the YouTube vid. I cannot seem to make it do that.

The Midas Machine is great! I just have to find a ten dollar bill to match. This change in currency really .pisses me off, not only because the magic gaffs no longer work, but it no longer looks American! The one dollar bill is the only thing left. Now I hear that may be toast. It never ends... :rolleyes:

Doug
I believe that John Mazza can help you out with those bills...
Vanishing point and burglar ball. I'm not saying the effects aren't good when purchased, but that what you get for what you pay really isn't worth it. The slight of hand involved can be rather obvious too, especially burglar ball, if you scrutinize the box to long, or the spectators find that you can !@#$ the cover.
Sorry, I meant to say the way you can move the cover, not the f word, I meant something else, it auto corrected it, srry
The magic guy, everyone has the right for her or his opinion, and I don't want to argue with yours, however I have found Burglar Ball to be one heck of a litle neat trick, and it's still very cheap. You can do the Burglar Ball routine or the Crystal Box routine because they basically use the same props. You can hand out the items to a spectator [i]before[/i] the magic happens and they won't find the secret. You should look into it a bit more :)
Vanishing Point looks to be obvious when you get the props in your hand, but if performed well spectators should be pretty baffled.
But again, it's all personal taste of course :)
Have to agree on Burglar Ball. I have it to be a fooling effect and the simplicity of the props adds to the deception in my opinion.

John
You'll feel differently about the greatness of Burglar Ball when you read Sugawara's original handling in the Tenyo book.

And ... Vanishing Point looks beyond amazing when the creator, Kenichi Komiya, does it.
I agree with all of you, the tricks are really amazing and visual, but I just don't like the props given to you. It's just so simple to make them yourself instead of spending money, like vanishing point, because all you need is a piece of paper, a card, a ball, and some kind of stand. I'm not going to argue because I find that the effects are amazing, and have baffled many that I have shown the trick to, but the props are kind of so so, especially with vanishing point. Maybe if the card was plastic or more sturdy, or if the maneuver wasn't so risky, other then that, yes they are good, but no, the props are cheap and easy to make. Also for burglar ball, I don't like to hand out the box because then people find the different ways you can put the l*d on and then take the ball and find out the trick.
There is more to the props for Vanishing Point than meets the eye. The ball is coated in a special tacky substance. The stand not only has a precison-made mechanical aspect, it has been very carefully designed so the ball rolls exactly the same way every single time--at precisely the same speed in the same amount of time.

The card should not be made of plastic--it's a playing card and it might seem suspicious if made of plastic.

When you say that the "maneuver" is risky, what do you mean? Yes, the ball has to roll into your fingers, but the way the prop is designed it will happen exactly the same way every time if the instructions are followed. The only risky part is if you can't hold it inside your curled fingers. That's certainly possible, and one of the reasons why Vanishing Point is different from most other Tenyo tricks: it requires sleight of hand.
I just think that's it's kind of bad by itself. If you do it as a transposition to 4d case, etc. it's good, but by itself, it's kind of suspicious and you have to get rid of the ball.
Tenyo doesn't sell "routined" versions of its tricks requiring you to buy more than one thing. Yes, bringing the ball up from under the table is lame, but it's pretty clear to most Tenyo buyers that there are a number of tricks Tenyo has marketed that will allow you to reproduce the ball in a magical way.