(Close Window)
Topic: My temperamental son and the Magician
Well I wasn't really sure where to share this and finally decided upon here as it happened at an IBM meeting. With the emotions inserted to represent the reaction of the crowd.

Yesterday I took my 15 year old son, Carl, to the local IBM meeting here in Dallas to see some magic and meet the folks who run the local SYM. I'm not well known at the IBM here, as I have only attended a couple of meetings. Now Carl is a great kid but he has a disorder called HAD. It's similar to the more popular ADD but to the next degree. It's like ADD with Turrets Syndrome. It really only effects him when he gets very nervous, which isn't that often. I explained this to the IBM President as I introduced my son to him just so he might be aware if something should happen.

Well the night drew on and after some great performances, a dapper young magician sauntered onto the stage. He stated that he had a children’s effect he wanted to show everyone and required a volunteer. As Carl was the only child in attendance he reluctantly made his way to the stage.

"Hello son, what's your name," the magi inquired.

When Carls mumbled response went past the magician I knew this wasn't going to be good. Carl looked out to where I was sitting and I gave him an encouraging nod, but it didn't appear to help. The magi finally got Carl to speak loudly enough to make out his name. "Everybody meet Carl, let's give him a big hand."

:dancing:

The applause seemed to calm Carl down as he enjoys being the center of attention.

Well, the dapper gentlemen turns from Carl, takes this wand out of his case and says something about his grandmother having graced him with it before her death (it looked like a break-away-wand and well…). So he hands this thing to Carl and turns back to his magic case. I'm still not quite sure what Carl was thinking at that moment, but with the wand firmly gripped in both hands, he cracked it over his knee. The room went silent and everyone looked at me like I’d brought the spawn of Satan in. :eek: :evil:
One guy - :lol:

I think one of the magician’s wives almost slapped me. Dapper Boy went stiff as he heard the loud <SNAP>, managing to slowly spin on his heel, his face going pure white. I thought he was going to scream, but he just took the two pieces, dropped them in his case and withdrew yet another wand.

"Carl. This wand was given to me by my grandfather. :lol: :lol: :lol: Please, please be very... very careful with this one. Please." Those who weren't still mortified had given to fits of laughter here. But all I could think was, man this guy is nuts. I wouldn’t let my kid have another wand after that, but what could I do. So, he turns to his case yet again and I cringe as Carl raises this wand high over his knee.

"Carl, don't you..." I'm sure my words went unnoticed as all I hear was <SNAP>! :rotf:

Despite the roar of laughter the audience gave at the production of the second wand, they trained their evil eyes on me yet again. I knew I was in for it. At least my son had the good presence to hide the broken wand behind his back and then toss it behind the magician when he turned around. The guy was so upset over his wand “vanishing” that he abandoned the trick he was doing (coloring book I think).

Well, here’s where it went from bad to worse. The magi, almost seething with anger and playing the consummate professional decides to do a card trick. As he produces the deck of cards Carl claims, "I've already seen this one." :rotf:

The magician was shocked yet again as he didn't even mention the effect. "I'm sorry, what did you say Carl?"

"I've seen this one it's not very good."
:lol:

"I didn't even tell you what the effect [i]is[/i] yet."

"Well, I've seen it."

Let me tell you, the back of my head was burning and I was shrinking in my seat. After more arguing the magi finally got my son to pick a card, sign it and return it to the deck (or so I thought). Well, the flustered magi turns around and appears to be searching for the signed card but he can't find it. He’s going pale looking for it. Meantime, behind the magi's back, my son pulls the signed card out of his own pocket and starts showing it to the audience.

:dancing:

In spite of themselves, they roared with laughter. The magi turns around, sees the card and completely looses it. He grabs the card, throws the deck to the ground and wraps his hands around Carl’s neck. I was so stunned, I couldn’t move. He hoists him into the air, shakes him a few times (my son’s legs are flailing everywhere) and throws him to the ground. In a fit of rage, he kicks him and just then realizes what he’s done. He looks out at the audience like a deer caught in headlights. :eek: :huh: :evil:

We all just stared at him in stunned silence. He moves back to his case, composes himself and says (and I’ll never forget this as long as I live), “Can I have ANOTHER volunteer?”
:lol:

March madness. Gotta love it.
I wish I could have been there... do you reckon you could rig something like that up, so a stooge comes up and does exactly what your son did, coz reading that was hilarious. I'm interested, have you ever been back?

Saxon
A stooge? Hmmmmmmmmm. :hmm:

You mean you actually want to recreate this nightmare? :lol:

And this was two days ago, I don't know if we'll be back.

Incidentally, of the twenty or so folks that were in attendance there were 3 Cafe members, myself, Jeb Sherrill and Paul Taby.
He *kicked* a volunteer?

Geez...
He didn't kick him all that hard. And it saved me the trouble of kicking him when I got him home. :evil:
:devilish: I love kids :devilish:
Want one? He's potty trained.
I used to have an adult friend like that untreated, and kicking them's the least you can do when they act up (and of course I'm talking unprofesionally.) Although he probably should of thrown in the towel after the first wand and excused your son.
OH MY!!! :wow: :lol:
I can relate. I've got two teenage sons, one is ADD and the other Autistic. Matthew, my autistic son, has given me, and some of my magician friends, some interesting times on stage.

This performer should have thanked him after the first incident and helped him offstage to a round of applause. He has no one to blame but himself and it's unconscionable that he "lost it". He should give up performing for kids in my opinion.

It reminds me of a kid's magician who closed with a Super X Suspenstion. He brought up a little girl and placed her on it. She started getting scared. He calmed her, but she soon got scared again. Beep! Time to get another volunteer and nicely excuse the kid. He went forward. Next thing you know she's crying. Obviously disgusted, he helps her down and stomps off stage.

It's unfortunate it happened at a gathering of magicians, who are usually much less forgiving than laypeople. At our magic gatherings, everyone knows about Matthew and they call him up at their own peril. I never scold Matthew for his actions on stage, although we have a long discussion about appropriate behavior. He'll always have the problem, but he has improved.

One of the hallmarks of the autistic is the lack of social graces. One time a good magician friend of mine called Matthew up to assist in the Cut and Restored Rope. Matthew had a terrible and audible gas problem that night. You can imagine from there...

Mike
[quote]
On 2002-03-22 16:44, yakandjak wrote:
Want one? He's potty trained.
[/quote]

No thanks, I had a big lunch today :baby:

:devilish:
Well after Mike's post I felt a confession was in order.

The March IBM meeting was themed March Madness, crazy and outrageous magic. The crazed magician was Cafe member Jeb Sherrill. My "son" was Jebs little brother and I was just the lesser stooge. I made up the HAD thing in attempt to recreate Jeb's effect here for the Cafe in writing.

The whole effect was brilliant as about half the crowd was mortified while half was roaring with laughter. Even as we left the meeting some folks were still uncertain as to what had happened. And those who thought the whole thing a bit of comedy couldn't figure out how Carl pulled that card from his pocket.

It was a shocking, amazing piece of comedy magic from the sometimes twisted mind of Jeb Sherrill. :lol: :goof:

Bravo Jeb!
I wondered why he 'happened to have' two wands...
[quote]
The crazed magician was Cafe member Jeb Sherrill. My "son" was Jebs little brother and I was just the lesser stooge. I made up the HAD thing in an attempt to recreate Jeb's effect here for the Cafe in writing.
[/quote]

You got me. Bravo! :bigsmile:

But I have seen some real performances that weren't that far from that.

Mike
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 28, 2002 03:57PM)
And here I was, working on staging it for the next local magic club meeting, when you tell us it's someone else's _trick_.

Darn!
I was fortunate enough to be there to witness this great performance. It was hilarious! Well done to Carl. A nice piece of original presentation that had the audience aghast!!!
Another fantastic one liner to come out of this:

Magicmondo followed up Jebs routine with a great bit of card-play. He asked for a volunteer and immediately followed up his request by pointing at Carl and stating firmly, "Not you." :rotf: :rotf:
And then, when a small girl from the very back was asked to come up, and seemed hesitant, someone shouted "Well, she saw what happened to the last one". I about died laughing myself. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sable
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Very funny. As I first read it, I was wondering how Yak could have a child that age.
Bravo Jeb! Bravo!

That was a really great story!
***.... I wish I had seen that live!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This is truly what comedy magic is all about.

:coffee:
that is priceless
Looks like we've all been "HAD"!!! :lol:

Great story, great "performance". Wish I'd been there...
I'm not sure whether I laughed harder at the original story or the confession. There's nothing like double-crossing a room full of magicians.
I is crying here!
Loved the bit.

It sounds like the old happenings from the 60's.

I love conning the cons.

Harris :coolspot:
pure and unadulterated genius!!

:goof:

My new heros!!
This is all I can do :wow:
I wish I could have been there... As I was reading this post I was in awe that a magi would kick a member of the audience and then I felt bad for the "dad" and then I felt bad for the loss of not one but two magic wands... I once had a wand broken by an audience member.. I tried not to cry cause I knew they no longer made them :cry:
But then when I read the confession all I could do was :wow: :lol: That was the best.. Just reading it :lol: I can't :lol: stop :lol: laughing :lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nothing like fooling your own brothers or sisters for that matter

:rotf: mina :rotf:
Oh my GOD. How original is that. As I was reading the story, I started thinking just like most of us, how to plan that and then to find out it was staged already. *** these ethics we have.

Congratulations on this. I am sorry that I missed that and I am wondering, did you get it on video? I would love to see it.

Yours in Magic,

Carter :bg:
Burt!!

Finally a parent that knows what discipline is!!!

Chris