(Close Window)
Topic: Kneel before my Jumping Gems
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 22, 2009 07:16PM)
For the past 7 years Jumping Gems has been a pet trick of mine. I've worked up a nice routine with misdirection, a vanish, a kicker, and a final load (huh? Yah I'm a nut). The past few months I've been refining the routine, and realized I needed a new custom set made (this would be set number 6 for me). The last 2 sets I've had made by Rich Hill (www.richhillsillusionshop.com), and have been very happy. Each time I've taken it up a notch in quality. So this time I had Rich do it up.

Presenting my hand textured, ebony sticks, with 10 custom configured Swarovski Crystals. They even have a secret hidden feature, that allows an instant reset (huh? Don't worry about it). The ebony is twice the weight of my mahogany set. And the edges are as sharp as a piece of wood can get. Between the weight, the edges, and the textured surface, these rods handle beautifully. I'm a very happy magic geek.

Behold:

[img]http://home.att.net/~jsilver300/rods.jpg[/img]
Quite nice looking, and obviously an expensive set. Ebony is very hard to work in.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 22, 2009 07:40PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-22 20:33, Father Photius wrote:
...obviously an expensive set.
[/quote]

I have some James Riser props that cost me less. I'd say what they cost, but I don't want future generations to think of me as the ancestor who bought the expensive sticks.

Rich offered to dye some mahogany black for me, but I knew in a month I'd want the real deal.
*kneels*
Very nice!
Way cool!!!!!
Niiiice!
They are awesome. Congrats!
Josh,

I kneel before the gems that jump, the sticks that sparkle and the madness that has overcome us all.

Cool props Joshster!
Really nice!
This all new to me, a couple of years ago I got the regular Hot Rods and did the typical routine that comes with it. Never been able to come up with a better routine, but the Jumping Gem routine looks really cool.

Last year someone mentioned that they were going to make a new Hot Rod DVD, and so far I have not seen it. Hopefully it will come out soon.

Thanks Josh for letting me know about this :)!
OH my god! AMAZING!
Very nice!!!
Very nice, good luck with them! I have also dealt with Rich Hill, who made me a custom set of Jumping Gems (by adding an "emerald" to the usual white/red stick). Great workmanship and very good service.

You are right about the need for good sharp edges. I have seen plenty of gem sticks and paddle effects that use rounded corners, which are completely unnecessary and just make the handing more difficult.

In my opinion, the Jumping Gems is about the best paddle trick there is, with at least four different changes per stick, and without having to ring in different sticks. It leaves Color-Changing Knives and Hot Rods (a real one-trick pony) in the dust. The only other paddle trick that comes close is the Money Paddle.

I believe the Jumping Gems effect (or maybe just the routine) originated with Ken Brooke. SETH
Josh, you continue to be full of awesome. I'd love to see the routine some day.

John
Does the Jumping Gem require a Vanish? BTW, I would love to see Josh's routine or anyone elses. Already saw the routine from Rick Hill's web site, but it would be nice to see another, another, and another :).

Thanks,
Keith
Porper has just finished the prototype of a new four or five way changing paddle (I just forget if it is 4 or 5 changes as I was very tired, having just driven 300 miles to get home when I got his phone message).
[quote] On 2009-04-23 13:08, madkiki wrote: Does the Jumping Gem require a Vanish?
[/quote]
Keith, if you mean a vanish of the stick, the answer is no. But if you want to do the customary kicker that ends with the production of half a dozen diamonds on a stick, you will need to switch one stick for another.

In most cases nothing fancy is needed: I just start to put one stick in my pocket as if the effect was over, and then act like I want to show one more thing. In the process, I drop the 2-stone stick and pull out the 6-stone stick instead. SETH
Way cool!

You've made me feel better about the custom set (3) of Chinese sticks that Owen Magic Supreme is making for me. :blush:
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 23, 2009 05:34PM)
Sethb there's a better way to switch in the kicker. I'll PM you.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 23, 2009 08:00PM)
I just watched Jason Randal's routine on Letterman. There's no reason to move that fast. His presentation hints at the method. David's guess regarding magnetic jewels is very reasonable for a laymen. If Jason had let him feel the first one, it would have nipped that theory in the bud. Instead, his proof late in the routine was weak. All that work going on by his left coat pocket was sloppy and un-magical. But I guess magic isn't his goal, as he tells Dave that the gems don't come off and it's all slight of hand.

My routine is the Bizzaro World version of his. And my sticks are cooler. :goof:
Not that great!

:) Ha Ha.

Are there different colored gems involved?

Terry
Maybe Jason Randal was a little nervous in front of David Lettermen?
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 23, 2009 09:11PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-23 21:29, Terry Holley wrote:
Are there different colored gems involved?
[/quote]

Yes

[quote]
On 2009-04-23 22:09, madkiki wrote:
[/quote]

Could be. But it was poorly routined. IMHO
Well, those are just gorgeous! Is the ebony waxed or something, or does it look that shiny on its own? They're amazing!

*looks at my old plastic jumping gems and sheds a tear*
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 24, 2009 05:51AM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-24 01:08, milesg wrote:
Is the ebony waxed or something, or does it look that shiny on its own?
[/quote]

It is coated with some kind of varnish.
They're great looking props, Josh & lovely contrast between the black rods and the sparkly gems (the multi-coloured ones often look a bit cheap). It will look as though you're squeezing diamonds from a block of coal or rock.
Those are fantawesome!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 27, 2009 11:11PM)
I performed with them a lot this weekend. The weather was mild, so I didn't do a sweaty hand test. But they worked beautifully.
[quote]
[/quote]

Working in front of Leterman would make any magician a little nervous, unless your David Roth.
You win for "Funniest Post Title 2009" in my opinion (at least so far, for 2009).

Also, nice props!

Looking at them, I assume you do some kind of "hot rod" finale with them? Actually this is a great idea (but I think you go one more phase if you have a "final load", correct?)
Very nice Josh. And I used to think I had a nice set :-(
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 28, 2009 07:44PM)
Doug: PM'd

Larry: I had them made just to take you down a notch. Glad it worked. :)

[quote]
On 2009-04-28 08:37, wandboy wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Working in front of Leterman would make any magician a little nervous, unless your David Roth.
[/quote]

I've been nervous before. Sometimes my hands shake. Sometimes I lose my train of thought. Sometimes I leave something out. Nerves have never caused me to perform a crappy routine.
Haven't seen this Letterman episode. Maybe it will be on You Tube and I can see this crappy routine for myself.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Apr 29, 2009 03:03PM)
Wow Josh, those are sticks t obehold alright! I nearly didn't look t the post but I am glad I did!
Bri
[quote]
On 2009-04-23 09:03, sethb wrote:

I believe the Jumping Gems effect (or maybe just the routine) originated with Ken Brooke. SETH
[/quote]I believe Ken Allen made the first Jumping Gems, but the effect goes back, at least, to R.M. Jamison's "Jamison's Spot Sticks" on pg. 170 of J.G. Thompson 's "MY Best".
[quote]
On 2009-04-29 15:44, wandboy wrote:
Haven't seen this Letterman episode. Maybe it will be on You Tube and I can see this crappy routine for myself.
[/quote]

Jason Randall has a clip on his site.

http://jasonrandal.com/videos/letterman06WMV.html
Thanks for the clip Jordan. Not the greatest Jumping Gems routine, that's for sure. But I always get a kick out of the way Mr. Randall comes across.
Very cool looking sticks Josh! I wish you would have shown me your routine when we met in March! Come to think of it I only recall you doing a continuous coffee vanish all week! ;)

Mick
The byplay/talk with D.L. was as good as it gets. Great way to do the haunted deck.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (May 2, 2009 11:34PM)
[quote]
On 2009-05-01 12:13, MickeyPainless wrote:
I wish you would have shown me your routine when we met in March!
[/quote]

At the time we met, I had a routine I liked a lot. Since that time I've gone through several new ideas. That's why I needed new sticks. I've revised it even more today (Thanks Magnus Eisengrim) At this point I'd be embarassed by the routine I was proud of then.

Best,
-Josh
Josh,
I guess that will just add to the things I look forward too at the 2010 WMS!

Mick
Hello Josh,

These are not sticks, these are scepters!!!
You seem to have conquered a new realm in magic land.

Allow me to kneel (despite my stiff old knees) my lord.
[quote]
On 2009-05-03 00:34, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-05-01 12:13, MickeyPainless wrote:
I wish you would have shown me your routine when we met in March!
[/quote]
At the time we met, I had a routine I liked a lot. Since that time I've gone through several new ideas. That's why I needed new sticks. I've revised it even more today (Thanks Magnus Eisengrim) At this point I'd be embarassed by the routine I was proud of then.

Best,
-Josh
[/quote]
Aw shucks. I'm not accustomed to people listening to me.

I'm very much looking forward to the next iteration, Josh.
Those literally just got me excited about magic again...

<cries a little looking at his newly found 20 year old? plastic set>

At least nobody is gonna get fancier looking half dollars than me! Or if they do, nobody will believe they're real anyways...
Fantastic looking, sir!
I love Jumping Gems too, because so much magic happens. Try The Arrow Trick by Meir Yedid. Just 1 stick with embedded arrows. The stick is aluminum. Nothing to wear out or fall out. Best of all lots and lots of magic with just one stick. It goes into my pocket every morning.
[quote]
On 2011-09-09 23:32, Carnac wrote:

Try [b]The Arrow Trick by Meir Yedid[/b]. Just 1 stick with embedded arrows. The stick is aluminum. Nothing to wear out or fall out. Best of all lots and lots of magic with just one stick. It goes into my pocket every morning.
[/quote]

Are you referring to Mark K. Young's [b]Amazing Jumping Arrow[/b] which is marketed by Meir Yedid?
[quote]
On 2011-09-10 12:00, bblumen wrote:
Are you referring to Mark K. Young's [b]Amazing Jumping Arrow[/b] which is marketed by Meir Yedid?
[/quote]

Now that one is a winner! I need to get that one back again! Thanks for mentioning it, bblumen!

Doug
[quote]
On 2011-09-12 15:14, Dougini wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-09-10 12:00, bblumen wrote:
[/quote]

Now that one is a winner! I need to get that one back again! Thanks for mentioning it, bblumen!

Doug
[/quote]
-------------

Doug> I THINK there's one on the big auction right now...

Julie
Really Julie? I'll check! Thanks! :)

Posted: Oct 7, 2011 1:28pm
UPDATE:

OK, I got it! Did they change? Is the Amazing Jumping Arrow made in PLASTIC now? Not a problem, but I think I got a knock-off (it came from Hong Kong). I'll be back to clarify this. I have some inquiries to make.

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 2:43pm
Knockoff fiasco resolved! Meir Yedid will deal with these thieves personally!

OK, back to Jumping Gems! I love the finale with the multiple gems on one rod. I think I'm going to get a set...(not on eBay, though! ha!)

Doug
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Oct 19, 2011 03:03PM)
I came bakc to look these up again but the photos no longer seem to work...
Yup I want to see them too.
[quote]
On 2011-10-19 16:03, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
I came bakc to look these up again but the photos no longer seem to work...
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-10-19 17:25, billappleton wrote:
Yup I want to see them too.
[/quote]
Ditto. (grin)
I PM'd Josh
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Oct 22, 2011 12:56PM)
I have the nice photo archived I'll dig it up and re-post.

**EDIT** Not on my home machine, I'll check on Monday @ Work
And how is the new routine coming?

John
You know that scene in "Crocodile Dundee", about 1:14, where three kids try to mug Mick & Sue?

Anyway, Jumping Gems? Those aren't Jumping Gems.

THESE are Jumping Gems:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkoCtBVzQMPcXsBFy7i6ZBBt8XOxRhquI[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkoCtBVzQMPd771BVsJll5RrDZ9xN9sWd[/url]

- Mark
That's a great looking set Mark
Thanks. Honestly I've never carried more than five at a time but it's nice to be able to mix things up. And these are a good size for cigarette magic.

These tricks have always been a guilty pleasure. I think I've seen most of them but some of the Tenyo sticks from the 1980s have me stumped. Seven gems/pips on a stick? What madness is this?
Mark...good God man, it's nice to see someone put so much passion into his work. I don't perform this effect, but I'm tempted to buy a set just to look at it. Wonderful!!!
Sadly these are one-offs and not for sale. And I cannot take credit for the brilliant workmanship. I specified the design and materials and engaged a SC furniture maker for the heavy lifting. But thanks anyway though! I like them too.

Have you seen Willi Wessel's stuff? It got me thinking along these lines and scratching my head over the Tenyo sticks.

http://www.williwessel.com/allmagic/close-up/tenyo-paddle-collection/
I was familiar with Willi's props through Andy Martin, but didn't realize Andy made a website for his magic. Thank you. Yet another site to go to when I need avoid house chores!