(Close Window)
Topic: Kranzo's "Diction"
Check this out on Nate's site. For me, it's exactly what I've been looking for.

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/diction-by-nathan-kranzo

Techniques for the modern thought reader.

Imagine having in your pocket a powerful demonstration of thought reading. Perform one on one, or on the largest stage.

A thought reading demonstration with a pocket dictionary. Over 35,000 words.

Perform impromptu mentalism with any borrowed magazine or novel.

Diction. The real work.

What could be more innocent than a pocket dictionary? Not to mention it has over 35,000 words and definitions! Impressive?! IF I pulled out a book you have never seen before you might be suspect, but this innocent and handy pocket dictionary is completely normal and examinable! Not to mentioned it is a Webster’s New World Dictionary, which is the most common commonly recognized dictionary in the WORLD.

Diction can be performed for one person at the coffee shop or for 800 people in a theater. It is a combination of several old ideas with some new subtleties to give added practicality, a contemporary look, and an off the cuff feel to it. Several subtle techniques are combined to create an unexplainable feat of mentalism.

Effect

You introduce Webster’s pocket dictionary containing over 35,000 defined words. You have a page selected by people choosing random numbers. No cards, dice, or props of any kind are used to select a page in a contrived way. Lets say page 42 is selected. The person holding the dictionary is asked to turn to that page. The performer can now instantly reveal AT LEAST TWO WORD REVELATIONS FOR ANY PAGE SELECTED. Not only that but the performer can even give details about the word and even full definitions!

What you get….

1. The most important prop is this Webster’s New World Pocket Dictionary. Note that this dictionary is ideal for carrying in your pocket and repeat use. It is NOT a paperback. Unlike most paperback dictionaries it won’t fall apart and become warn quickly due to its plastic cover. Feel free to toss it in the audience if you like. It will take a good lickin’. It can also be examined.

2. That special something for the dictionary test. You’ll understand soon.

3. The DICTION instruction booklet.

4. BONUS ROUTINE Emotional Reaction Book Test. Inspired by Larry Becker, Dany Tong, David Hoy, and Dai Vernon.

All this for the amazingly low price of $44.95

ONLY 500 PRINTED!!!

Get yours before they run out. This is a piece of mentalism that will be used by many for years to come.
The worst demo I have ever seen. Why bother.
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Apr 30, 2009 03:57PM)
I don't think I'd go for this one. Could be just me but a dictionary just comes across as something that is not as random as say a standard novel. There's an obvious order to things in a dictionary which might give specs a feeling that its somehow easier for you to get the word.

I'll wait for Chris's review on this one I think.
I believe something was released through Elmwood Magic very similar to this.
[quote]
On 2009-04-30 17:00, magicman4646 wrote:
I believe something was released through Elmwood Magic very similar to this.
[/quote]

By choice & chance is an excellent effect using a Webster pocket dictionary & a pair of dice.

I'm wondering if Diction uses the same method without the dice?

I also wonder about the spectators being able to choose"random" numbers, can a page number simply be called out?

Mike
This is what jumped out to me:

"The most important prop is this Webster’s New World Pocket Dictionary. Note that this dictionary is ideal for carrying in your pocket and repeat use. It is NOT a paperback. Unlike most paperback dictionaries it won’t fall apart and become warn quickly due to its plastic cover. Feel free to toss it in the audience if you like. It will take a good lickin’. It can also be examined".

It ships May 14th. It's only $44.95, so...I'll take the plunge. I've been looking for something like this for a while now, which I guess is why I'm excited about it being a common dictionary.
Ad says -

[b]No cards, dice, or math of any kind are used to select a page in a contrived way.[/b]
That could also mean riffle force.
James

[quote]
On 2009-05-01 03:49, Kjellstrom wrote:
Ad says -

[b]No cards, dice, or math of any kind are used to select a page in a contrived way.[/b]
[/quote]
What exactly is meant by two word revelations? Does that mean if a random person says page 42 you can name two words that are on the page? If so then no thanks. that's just a memory feat. However if the person can name any random page out loud, go to that page, and choose any word and think of it, and you can reveal their word, I'm interested.
I agree with baggins321. It would be cool if the spectator got to choose the word instead of the magician just memorizing two words from every page. That is still a feat in itself but as stated above, it is more of a memory test.

I also agree with pegasus. I really don't know what is happening to magic demo's these days but that video gave me less information than the product description.
As I and others have written in our releases. It is always a weak point when the performer knows the page number. Audiences are smarter now a days. Hearing a page number can bring up thought of memorized pages or cue lists.

I am not knocking this effect, it could be excellent. I just tend to shy away from any book test where you have to have spectators call out the page number. When the person does it gives a possible solution.

Devin
http://www.amazon.com/Websters-New-World-Pocket-Dictionary/dp/0764561472
$5.99 plus Tarbell 6 'Sid Lorraine's Dictionary Message Reading.'
But I'm sure you all new that, right?
Look forward to your review Christopher.
This is similar to Paul's By Choice And By Chance in that it uses a very similar dictionary.

The dice idea is cool but just not my style. I DO think Paul's effect is great, practical, and commercial. There are a couple of other pocket dictionary effects out there that are worth tracking down as well. The Working Mentalist's Dictionary by Carlyle is one of them and very highly recommended.

Herbert Milton used the dice for a Telephone Directory test almost 70 years ago and the concept is much older. I mention Paul's great effect in the booklet that comes with Diction and I go into the history of the effects that are similarly done with Dictionaries and Telephone Books, and different techniques used etc.

All the best,

Kranzo
Here's a good photo of the dictionary in the hand:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/inc/product_detail.cfm?item=11587
[quote]
On 2009-05-03 03:57, Andi Peters wrote:
I'm going to wait until Mr K sells these with 80% off on ebay like with Mental Frisbee.
[/quote]

Hi Andi,

I see your point. I learned my lesson. BIG MISTAKE. I really screwed up but it will not happen again. You have my word. Guaranteed!!! Please forgive me.

Mom will you forgive me? Love you mom! Happy Mothers Day!

Andi I'll do you one better. How about 100% off! : )

Lets have a little contest. A FREE Diction BOOK TEST Shipped ANYWHERE in the world to the first person who can name the first book test I ever performed.

Here is a hint. It was created in the late 1950s.

Good Luck!

Kranzo
[quote]
On 2009-05-01 11:13, Sleeveless wrote:
[/quote]

Hey there!

I LOVE Sid's idea found in Tarbell. BUT I must say it is NOTHING like DICTION. Sid's effect uses a heavily gaffed dictionary. While I would encourage anyone to look this up as it is a fine test it is NOT anything like Diction. Just didn't want anyone to be confused.

All the best,

Kranzo
I'm going to guess, Al Koran's Dictionary Test. ;)
Hi Doug,

How ya been man?

Koran's test is great and a good guess.....but not the correct one.

A little more about Diction.

Diction is based on the work of some great minds like Ray Hyman and several others combined with practical additions I discovered through real world performances. More importantly...I have provided you with the perfect tools to carry a monster mental effect in your pocket.

All the best,

Kranzo
C.L. Boarde book test?
The Clip Book By Vivian St. John, it uses a dictionary so I'm hoping here.
Bonus points I hope for the Dictionary;)

Michael
[quote]
On 2009-05-09 23:29, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-05-01 11:13, Sleeveless wrote:
[/quote]

Hey there!

I LOVE Sid's idea found in Tarbell. BUT I must say it is NOTHING like DICTION. Sid's effect uses a heavily gaffed dictionary. While I would encourage anyone to look this up as it is a fine test it is NOT anything like Diction. Just didn't want anyone to be confused.

All the best,

Kranzo
[/quote]

And just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting it was the same method.
Nathan - was it the hoy book test?
Nope....all good guesses. I'm thinking we will stumble upon some great and forgotten book tests with all these guesses being thrown out. : )

All the best,

Kranzo
Hmmm How about Flash Black by Larry Becker?

Mike
Chan Canasta, Al Mann or U.F. Grant book test... still trying and not one of these? :)
Val Andrews Unfaked Book Test. Or is it a trick question and your Diction is the first one you ever tried?
I promise it is not a trick question. : )

I forgot about the Andrews Test! Have you ever tried it?

Magicmike you are the closest so far.

All the best,

Kranzo
Final Flashback it has a dictionary in it. or Ultimate flash back by Larry Becker and Lee Earle.

magicmike30
I just want to chime in here and say that I saw Diction performed last night and became a big fan. Very portable and easy to carry around for a strolling performer. I have invested in quite a few different booktests and I used to carry a booktest in my close-up bag, but this one I can carry right on me.

After seeing the workings on this, I will be picking one up from Nate.
I must say I love book test's, especialy for close up. Good job on this one Nathan. I predict this will be money well spent. :)
[quote]
On 2009-05-12 16:40, Michael Dustman wrote:
I just want to chime in here and say that I saw Diction performed last night and became a big fan. Very portable and easy to carry around for a strolling performer. I have invested in quite a few different booktests and I used to carry a booktest in my close-up bag, but this one I can carry right on me.

After seeing the workings on this, I will be picking one up from Nate.
[/quote]

Wow Michael that means a lot coming from someone who has ACTUALLY SEEN IT PERFORMED!

Thanks so much for the kind words.

Who did you see perform it? Just curious... : )

Kranzo
Mr. Aaron Delong Extraordinaire....................
Message: Posted by: No Show the Magician (May 12, 2009 10:24PM)
Nate,

Sorry to let the cat out of the bag a few days early, but after I received this from you, I couldn't believe how devilishly simple and yet so powerful it was. The best part is that I was able to do it within minutes of opening the package.

I couldn't wait to do it for the guys last night because this is a must have. Very clever indeed Mr. Kranzo.

Aaron
I perform Docc Hilford's 40,000 Words ( based on a Syd Lorayne's effect ). It's a great effect, but the Dictionary is heavily gaffed and can't be handed out. When I read about Nate's effect it appealed to me because they can handle the book, which I think is a big convincer.
So how goes it Nathan? Final Flash Back or Ultimate Flash Back?
Mike
Hi Mike! IS going great! I think those were already mentioned. : )

Later,

Kranzo
Ok another hint. LOL!

This book test came with a paperback book that was hand gimmicked but the creator.

All the best,

Kranzo
Hi, Nate:

I was going to guess "The Lexicon Phenomena" but I don't think it used a paperback.

Steve H
Thanks I thought I was close with Flash Back and then realized there was other versions including a dictionary.
Mike
Just got this in! Order now from your favorite dealer world wide!
Ah that must be The Wizard's Manual by Hilford.
Just orderd mine, Looking foward to this one as I perfom book test at walk around gigs, :)
I got lucky and Nate sent me one to look at. I've been working on a presentation and performed this last night several times. It is perfect for strolling because you can involve multiple people and all you need is the dictionary, a Sharpie and something to write the word on. Using a business card you write the info on that and...give that away for them to keep.

I like the use of the Dictionary because everyone knows that. It's not gaffed as in the effect I had been using, so that was appealing. I like that they hold the Dictionary while others help choose the page without using cards or dice or math equations. All those are fine methods and many Pro's use them. I just wanted to have something that fit walk around and didn't involve computations.

The booklet goes over quite a bit of history. What Nate has done is taken ideas from different folks and brought them up to date for a very clever, dead easy, book test.

Nate included a wonderful subtlety form Sandy Marshall that gets another person involved. The more people you can involved in something like this the better the entertainment value.

With some extra work for a show, you could add more books. And have them freely pick anyone. I like things very streamlined, so just the Dictionary works for me.

I could have written about this within 15 minutes of getting it, but for effects like this I think it warrants rehearsing and performing it. More an more I'm starting to ask folks if they performed something when they give their opinions.

You could perform Diction is a show, walk around, table hopping ( great way to give out a business card ). It fits in a pocket in your suit or trousers, so it's a pack small play big effect that leaves a strong impression on them.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Christopher, you may have swayed me to pick this one up. Hmmmmmmm.
Nate,

Was it U.F. Grant's Dynabook test?

Mike
Hi Mike,

Nope its not U.F. Grant's Dynabook Test...

Another great guess though! : )

All the best,

Kranzo
Nate sent out his newsletter tonight and it said " this summer Kranzo Magic will be releasing a think a drink effect called "Drink". Random people who order Diction get it free".

It's a download called "DRINK" the Think a Drink Anagram.

It's not on the site yet and I know zero about it. Nate?
Was it Annemann's booktest from his One Man Mental Act?

Shanester
Sounds excellent.

I have a few queries:
- is there any reset?
- can you repeat it for different groups with different words?
- can you have more than one person in each group choose a word?

thanks in advance,

Oliver
Hi Nathan, Could it be Homicide by OUTLAW as the book says it's supposed to be created in the 50's.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (May 19, 2009 09:48AM)
This sounds very interesting and for the price I believe you really can't go wrong. I may just have to get it as well.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Thanks for the review Christopher, It's just a matter of time till I get to perform it as well. :)
[quote]
On 2009-05-19 05:48, omeech wrote:
Sounds excellent.

I have a few queries:
- is there any reset?
- can you repeat it for different groups with different words?
- can you have more than one person in each group choose a word?

[/quote]

Based on my observations, I'll answer, but Nate is the expert with this and may have other thoughts on whether or not you should do some of these things.

1) No reset

2) Yes, it can be done for different groups with different words. There's 35,000 words in the dictionary, but you don't have that range of course. It's contained to a manageable amount for the performer.

3) You could have more than one person choose a word.

In my opinion, mentalism is more effective when it isn't done as a stunt or a trick. Less is always more. For a group, I wouldn't do this or any one single effect multiple times. That invites people to want to change the conditions of the effect.
Thank you Christopher for providing more details. You mentioned that the effect requires a Sharpie and a biz card (or slip of paper) to write the word on. I currently use Mark Mason's impression device trimmed to fit into a standard dictionary. If Nathan's approach is different, let me know (without tipping, of course). I just want to be sure Diction is a suitable alternative. Thanks so much. Mark
[quote]
On 2009-05-19 13:55, Perceptionist wrote:
Thank you Christopher for providing more details. You mentioned that the effect requires a Sharpie and a biz card (or slip of paper) to write the word on. I currently use Mark Mason's impression device trimmed to fit into a standard dictionary. If Nathan's approach is different, let me know (without tipping, of course). I just want to be sure Diction is a suitable alternative. Thanks so much. Mark
[/quote]

The prediction does not have to be written down at all. I had it shown to me two ways....both times I looked at the word and didn't reveal anything. Once it was written down for me on a napkin. The other time, it was just revealed by talking about the attributes of the word I was thinking of.

Just put my order in for one. Treating myself to a birthday present.
Thanks, Michael. This helps a lot. I think there is a "birthday present" in my future as well.
Nate

Was it Gene Urban's book test?

Andi
I'm busy with a few things at the moment, but I'm gonna order at the end of the month - sounds excellent...
Hey Guys!

Thanks for answering my questions for me Chris!!! Were you lucky enough to get one of the free Drink gaffs?

I'll let you know a little more about it. Its a very cool no prop "thought of drink" revelation. It can be combined with a full routine where they think of an entire meal along with the price (this has become a popular mentalism plot) with other items or just have them think of a drink etc. It will be released very soon as a download and/or a physical product.

The gaffs are merely training tools used to practice the effect but once you've mastered it no props of any kind are necessary.

All great gueses but still no winner! I'll give it another day and then add another clue. : )

Later,

Kranzo
Pegasus Page?
Hi Nathan,I'll take one more shot at it.Was it one of Irv Weiner's book tests(Miraculous or The Last Word).cheers.
No but I'm a big fan of Irv Weiner!

Ok here is another hint. In the manuscript that accompanies the booktest there are several routines many from other performers. One of them is from Ned Rutledge.

All the best,

Kranzo
JG Thompson and Ned Rutledge... Between two minds.

Sean
Nope.
"Emotional reaction" or "Trick Without a Name"

Sean
I just received mine today and like what I see. As Nathan pointed out, it can be performed (eventually) without any props, and can also be modified to work with any number of articles that a performer keeps on his person. The cover of the dictionary is durable making this booktest especially useful for strolling work. Simple and direct mentalism with sound methods. You cannot go wrong with 'Diction'.

-Jared

Nathan, since I purchased this from a dealer (Penguin) is there anyway to still receive the 'Drink' download?
Satanic book test?
Ray Piatt's Impossible Book Test?
How much memory work is required for Diction to be optimally performed?
Mental Echo?
Message: Posted by: No Show the Magician (May 22, 2009 07:58PM)
Chanor,

None!!!

Aaron
Nate, I'm placing my order now. Tell Grandpa to take good care of me.
Nathan,

Sent you a PM at 7:23 this morning with what I am 99.9% confident is the correct answer. Am awaiting your reply.

Dick Christian
Only because no-one else has mentioned them: The Key or MOABT?
Mr. Secretary,

Go back and read the offer again. Kranzo's first clue was that it was created in the 1950s. The Key was based on an earlier effect from 1986 and was published in 1990. MOABT was created in the 1990s and released in 1996.
We have a winner!

Mr. Dick Christian PM'd me with almost the entire manuscript! LOL!

It was Dan Tong's Peak A Book Test.

I should have known he would win. He is an expert on the subject of book tests and I am highly anticipating his book scheduled to be released in 2011.

Congrats Dick! And Thanks to everyone for playing!!!

All the best,

Kranzo
Nathan,

Thanks for the kind words and for your generous offer. Looking forward to adding "Diction" to my growing collection and to mentioning it in my book -- which I HOPE will be ready for publication in 2011.

Dick
Hey Dick!

I guess if a man who was writing the book on Book Tests was the only one that got the answer maybe the question was too hard? Maybe we should all read more? : )

Maybe I should do it again with an easier question....

Kranzo
Nathan,

It's your call. Just remember, it's the hard questions that encourage people to study and learn. There are plenty of more difficult ones you could have asked.

Dick
Well done Dick.
I recieved mine the other day and fits perfectly in my back pocket. the methed is great and easy, the best thing is I am already familiar with it even tho it is very simple to learn.

Thanks Nathan,

Daren
Hi Daren,

Thanks so much for your post!

You pretty much summed up why I like it.

Easy Method
Fits in pocket
Strong Effect

: )

All the best,

Kranzo
Got my Diction today. Quite the happy camper, can't wait to put it to use.

Thanks Nate
My Pleasure Michael!

I hope you get lots of mileage out of it. Did gramps happen to throw the DRINK gaffs in there too?

All the best,

Kranzo
[quote]
On 2009-05-30 21:47, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
My Pleasure Michael!

I hope you get lots of mileage out of it. Did gramps happen to throw the DRINK gaffs in there too?

All the best,

Kranzo
[/quote]

Nope....just like playing the lottery.....my random luck of the draw never gets picked.
I have a question for you Kranzo. I have a bet with this guy. The finger gesture in your photo isn't that a british "rock and roll" thing? If not what does it mean?

Thanks,

Eric
It means lots of different things in different cultures but in this particular case, you are correct.

All the best,

Kranzo
It was made popular by Ronnie james Dio. (muscian) The real name for it is the molouike (not sure if I spelt that right) or the evil eye. Like Nathen said, it means different things depending on who you talk to. If I can remember correctly, the real meaning is that it was to protect you of evil spirits, Yet at the same time you could give the evil eye as well. It was and still is used heavily in heavey metal music because of the repusentation of the devil horns. It has now since become more mainstreem and basicly means whatever you want it to.
Sorry, I had to write this being as I am a huge fan of metal music.

Rock on, :firedevil:

Daren
Yea, throw up the horns. Metal Rules!!
By the way, waiting on my Diction.
Thanks guys! I thought so and I won the bet.

Good magic to all,

Eric

Now how do I spend this million dollars? LOL
I ordered it today too from Hocus-Pocus.

Eric
[quote]
On 2009-05-01 07:38, magicbuilder wrote:
As I and others have written in our releases. It is always a weak point when the performer knows the page number. Audiences are smarter now a days. Hearing a page number can bring up thought of memorized pages or cue lists.

I am not knocking this effect, it could be excellent. I just tend to shy away from any book test where you have to have spectators call out the page number. When the person does it gives a possible solution.

Devin
[/quote]

I received Diction today.Although I tend to agree with Devins above comments...I also believe this can be effectively presented for regular folks as instructed in the accompanying booklet.

For me,I usually try to integrate effects together if possible.[Example: I have a clock/time prediction followed by a Magic Square related to the same hour and minute #'s in the clock phase]All #'s are 'unknown' to me.
I am thinking...Diction may make a nice third phase.....with an 'unknown' page selected using the previous phases.

I really like the vinyl covered pocket Dictionary.Nice.

Rich
For those who shie away from book tests in which the performer is given a page number -- even though the page number is freely determined by the participating spectator(s) as is true with "Diction" -- the instructions include an alternative test in which the page number is NOT announced.
Hi Dick,

Thanks so much for mentioning my other test Emotional Reaction Book Test that comes as a bonus with Diction. I am very curious to see how many people try this as I have used it for years when handed any book.

All the best,

Kranzo
Here's footage of Ray doing his book test. Jerry Andrus is also in tow.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3784778491510678214&ei=aNA8Sv64NIvr-Aaukuy4Cg&q=Ray+Hyman&client=firefox-a
[quote]
On 2009-06-03 18:16, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
It means lots of different things in different cultures but in this particular case, you are correct.

All the best,

Kranzo
[/quote]

That's a shocker!

Lyndel
Hi Andi,

WOW thanks for that link!

This is another one of Ray's great handlings for the book test but this is not the test that Diction is based on. Once again thanks for that link as it was very entertaining to watch those two cats!

Later,

Kranzo
FINALLY uploaded some live performance footage of me performing Diction

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/diction-by-nathan-kranzo

Enjoy!

Kranzo
I like Diction. Nice demo.
Thank you sir!

I just sent one to a mentalist performing in Japan. He uses it for American tourists. Starts by using it as a gag...when they say hello or try and speak to him he pulls it out, holds up his hand as if to say "hold on a sec", and starts manically flipping through the dictionary....

GREAT gag....then followed up by a power punch to the brain.

All the best,

Kranzo
Dan Garrett was kind enough to point out that there are some great bits in the most recent Genii magazine that can be combined with Diction. Just a heads up.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Anyone already make that leap and try it? : )

All the best,

Kranzo
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Sep 1, 2009 07:14PM)
I love this Nate! The performer could pretend he/she is a Russian mentalist who does not speak english - using a thick accent and broken english - Go into the effect.... after you read the spectators mind, thumb through the entire dictionary as if you're reading it... then start speaking perfect english as if you memorized the entire dictionary.
[quote]
On 2009-08-31 16:09, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
Dan Garrett was kind enough to point out that there are some great bits in the most recent Genii magazine that can be combined with Diction. Just a heads up.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Anyone already make that leap and try it? : )

All the best,

Kranzo
[/quote]

Talk about your Dictionary-Faro-Shuffle!?!?

Ummmm, I love my [b]Diction[/b] but I wasn't crazy about either of the effects in GENII. But honestly, I did not try them. They just didn't blow my skirt up.
I thought the idea of the card shuffle/dictionary was very interesting but the thing I liked the most was the gag of introducing the Dictionary. This can be used along with Diction. Gags like that are priceless to me! I'm goofy.

"They just didn't blow my skirt up."

LOL!

I love that line....can I use it?

Later,

Kranzo
Nate, here's a line you can use also...

"If you don't buy Diction, you'll never be able to sleep with yourself again."
LOL Dan!

[quote]
On 2009-09-01 20:14, Mediocre the Great wrote:
I love this Nate! The performer could pretend he/she is a Russian mentalist who does not speak english - using a thick accent and broken english - Go into the effect.... after you read the spectators mind, thumb through the entire dictionary as if you're reading it... then start speaking perfect english as if you memorized the entire dictionary.
[/quote]

Another great gag!

Thanks for sharing this...

Later,

Kranzo
I sounds a great book test trick, but could it be performed instantly or need to reset after each end?
Hboy,

There is neither any "set" nor "reset" required. It can be done "instantly" any place and at any time. All you need is the dictionary (provided) and instructions. BTW, the dictionary involved is readily available at Staples, Kinkos and other similar locations for only a couple of dollars so you could buy several copies and give it away after you perform it if desired.
[quote]
On 2009-05-01 05:51, baggins321 wrote:
What exactly is meant by two word revelations? Does that mean if a random person says page 42 you can name two words that are on the page? If so then no thanks. that's just a memory feat. However if the person can name any random page out loud, go to that page, and choose any word and think of it, and you can reveal their word, I'm interested.
[/quote]

Yea I am kind of confused too. So you can't predict the chosen word but 2 words in the page with similar meaning?

Also one mentioned that you can't do this with borrowed book or magazine but someone also said you can go to library and pick any dictionary and do this. I am confused.
For those who either haven't read or don't understand the descriptions of Kranzo's "Diction" that have been given on this thread so far, let me reiterate.

1) a genuine pocket dictionary is used (and is provided, along with detailed instructions and everything required to perform the effect)

2) a page number is fairly chosen through the random participation of either one or two spectators

3) a spectator opens the dictionary to the chosen page

4) the performer is able to reveal either (or both) of two of the words that are found on that page (and/or their definitions if desired)

5) the performer never needs to handle the dictionary, nor does he have to watch or see the actions of the participating spectator

If you need to have a more detailed explanation, perhaps you should buy the effect. It is very reasonably priced.

BTW, I have no financial interest in the matter but am getting tired of newbies trying to have someone reveal the detailed workings to them so they can figure it out without having to buy it. Anyone with an adequate understanding of booktests can figure it out from the information already given. Those who may actually have occasion to perform it -- and have the requisite skills and experience to do so -- should buy it. The merely curious should find another hobby.
[quote]
On 2009-09-29 16:03, Dick Christian wrote:
For those who either haven't read or don't understand the descriptions of Kranzo's "Diction" that have been given on this thread so far, let me reiterate.

1) a genuine pocket dictionary is used (and is provided, along with detailed instructions and everything required to perform the effect)

2) a page number is fairly chosen through the random participation of either one or two spectators

3) a spectator opens the dictionary to the chosen page

4) the performer is able to reveal either (or both) of two of the words that are found on that page (and/or their definitions if desired)

5) the performer never needs to handle the dictionary, nor does he have to watch or see the actions of the participating spectator

If you need to have a more detailed explanation, perhaps you should buy the effect. It is very reasonably priced.

BTW, I have no financial interest in the matter but am getting tired of newbies trying to have someone reveal the detailed workings to them so they can figure it out without having to buy it. Anyone with an adequate understanding of booktests can figure it out from the information already given. Those who may actually have occasion to perform it -- and have the requisite skills and experience to do so -- should buy it. The merely curious should find another hobby.
[/quote]

No one forced you to read it if you are sick and tired of simple questions.
I asked 2 simple questions and you wrote everything that's already been said without answering the questions. Why bother?
I am sick and tried of people who think are GOD. Having a bad day?
[quote]
On 2009-09-29 16:03, Dick Christian wrote:
[/quote]

Dick I love your analysis. This is true for all of magic. Learn or get out. Pay your dues.
Thanks Dick for a great explanation of how Diction works without any give-aways. Snoopy magicians can take their fishing expeditions elsewhere :)
I bought my Diction and am very happy with it. Simple, easy, and mind blowing!
Just want to add ive had this for a while now and love it and use it all the time
I find it to be the perfect walkaround effect, couldn't be any happier with this.

Daren
I have had Diction for some time now and love it very much. This thing is too simple to perform and I am a lousy performer. I am convinced that my Memory is the worst on the planet, forgetting things all the time, but Diction is so simple that memory is no requirement. Just don't forget to ask for the book back.

Some people do believe that I memorized 35,000 words, wow I wish I could, then I would probably be a very wealthy man. Is it possible for anyone to memorize 35,000 words?

If you don't have diction it's your lost!
I just don't like the obvious page number restriction.
I am no expert on Book Test, mentalism, or magic just someone that dabbles in magic once in a while. Hopefully what I am about to say makes sense to everyone because I am lousy with words, so don't judge me too hard.

I have used a book test where there are two spectators and myself involved with three books. This book test was a little suspicious to the spectators because I guess they sense that they were being forced to choose the page. Maybe my way of handling this routine was done very badly. I have decided to discontinue with this book test.

I have Outlaw book test and have not used some of them. Some of them I still have no idea on how to present them or what they are about and there is memory involved. These book test require some serious thinking and acting behind the routine, just a lot more work to make them work. Many of you may be good with acting as a mentalist, but something that is a challenge for me.

Diction does not require memory or hard-core mentalism acting like Outlaw products, which makes it more fun for me to perform. It is the perfect training tool for me into the field of Mentalism.

Anyway, I think the page number situation makes it more fun by getting the spectator more physically and mentally involved. Since I am Hearing Impaired I am used to Sign Language and being physically up closed to people. Believe it or not people like using their fingers which I think works great for diction. Making them chose a page by using their fingers can be fun and helps build up the routine. I think it makes it LESS suspicious by using their fingers to choose a page.

I am about to receive another book test from Black Magic where the spectator can choose any page they want without any forces. This will be a whole new experience for me because I won't be able to get them physically involved and might make them more suspicious that there is something too easy for the performer. Not sure I know how to explain this correctly, just a gut feeling. I guess I will have to wait for the book to arrive and take it out for a test drive before I judge it.

Outlaw products are fantastic, but it requires you as a performer to become something more of what that product is about. I feel that there has to be a whole new Persona to deal with Outlaw products, something more like a trained actor. Diction can be for anyone who can be themselves without this strange persona. I feel Diction is a better product for someone starting out in Mentalism to help train them into developing that persona with no fear of messing up the routine. The more experience I get with Diction the better I get and maybe one day I will have enough experience to handle Outlaw products.

Since there are no Mentalism DVDs with Closed-Captioning or Subtitling I have absolutely no idea what is being said. Therefore I am so far behind in developing good mentalism skills or performing skills in general. I am very angry with these producer's refusal to include Closed-Captioning/Subtitling, so I am forced to learn on my own. This may be a good thing, but it could also be a bad thing because I maybe developing bad habits as a performer.
[quote]
On 2009-10-10 03:41, pegasus wrote:
[/quote]

Pegasus,

While I certainly understand what you are talking about, I fear that you are trapped into considering the issue only from the performer's perspective and thereby perceiving that there is a potential problem simply because you are aware of the fact that the choice of page numbers is restricted.

Assuming that you would only perform the test once -- for a single member of the audience in the case of a stage presentation -- or for one member of each many small groups comprised of different individuals in the case of a "walk-around" engagement -- the fact that the method by which the page number is determined BY THE OBSERVER(s) makes it appear genuinely random and more wide-ranging than it is and effectively disguises the fact that it is really quite limited; i.e., while YOU know that the options are restricted, the audience does not.

This obviously means that you should not be performing the effect more than once for the same person or audience; however, that consideration is hardly restricted to "Diction" but, with rare exception, is equally applicable to ANY book test as well as most effects in either magic or mentalism. Of course that makes this and most other effects (whether magic or mentalism) of little value to those whose performances are limited to family and friends (while that may be unfortunate for the performer it keeps the dealers in business).
[quote]
On 2009-10-10 11:43, madkiki wrote:
I am no expert on Book Test, mentalism, or magic just someone that dabbles in magic once in a while. Hopefully what I am about to say makes sense to everyone because I am lousy with words, so don't judge me too hard.
[/quote]

I thought you expressed yourself very well and appreciated what you had to say. I also like that the fact that DICTION is so "easy" to perform and allows you to focus in on the presentation and everything other than the method. It's just plain fun.
[quote]
On 2009-10-10 13:13, Dick Christian wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-10-10 03:41, pegasus wrote:
[/quote]

Pegasus,

While I certainly understand what you are talking about, I fear that you are trapped into considering the issue only from the performer's perspective and thereby perceiving that there is a potential problem simply because you are aware of the fact that the choice of page numbers is restricted.

Assuming that you would only perform the test once -- for a single member of the audience in the case of a stage presentation -- or for one member of each many small groups comprised of different individuals in the case of a "walk-around" engagement -- the fact that the method by which the page number is determined BY THE OBSERVER(s) makes it appear genuinely random and more wide-ranging than it is and effectively disguises the fact that it is really quite limited; i.e., while YOU know that the options are restricted, the audience does not.

This obviously means that you should not be performing the effect more than once for the same person or audience; however, that consideration is hardly restricted to "Diction" but, with rare exception, is equally applicable to ANY book test as well as most effects in either magic or mentalism. Of course that makes this and most other effects (whether magic or mentalism) of little value to those whose performances are limited to family and friends (while that may be unfortunate for the performer it keeps the dealers in business).
[/quote]

Totally agree.I would also like to add that the illusion of impossibility can be enhanced [if you wish] by creating another range f***e that gives the impression of many more possible pages on the 'front end of the presentation'.Hint:Time of day.
There are 43,200 possibilities for a time of day.[I do however,like the multi guest finger method very much].Big fun!

Rich
I rather agree with Pegasus on the page number restriction. Dick is quite correct in saying that many mental effects don't stand up to repeated viewings by the same people. My concern about the number restriction here is that it's fully visible within the procedure to someone who has only seen it once.

The same technique has been used by others who are experts in the field. Max Maven used it in his magazine test, Karrell Fox used it in "The Two Fisted Book Test" (My Latest Book)- so it certainly works. My concern would be that, though it might get a strong reaction at the time, if the audience actually think about how it could have been done afterwards - it doesn't take much thought to realise that they only had a choice of "X" possible pages that could have been memorised. The evidence of that is on display as part of the effect.
I only perform for one person at a time, so I feel that this works best done only one time. Repeating this only ruins the element of surprise.
I just finished reading "Diction" and think it's very clever. I don't see any problem with the numbers. After all, we are creating an illusion in someone's mind and I plan on creating the illusion that any page and any word on the page could have been selected. The method is so easy it really allows you to open up and experiment with your presentation.
As long as you don't present an effect -- ANY effect, not just "Diction" -- as a puzzle or a challenge, most people are unlikely to spend much time or effort trying to figure them out -- IF THEY ARE PRESENTED PROPERLY, which refers not only to the method/technique involved but EFFECTIVE AUDIENCE MANAGEMENT as well. We magicians/mentalists get far more exercised about our "secrets" than laymen do, so we get far more incensed about "exposure" than we should.

Having said that, I will admit that those who perform primarily for friends, family, co-workers or the folks at the local magic club are doing so in situations and environments in which they are far more vulnerable to being challenged than are those of us who are experienced enough that we perform only for pay and only for strangers (i.e., "real people"). And I suspect from over a year of reading and responding to the posts that there are far more subscribers to the Café in the former category than the latter. That is not meant as a criticism, simply a fact.
I also perform only on a professional basis and agree with most of that.

It's certainly true that those who perform for people who know them personally are far more likely to be challenged, and also that audiences are more likely to treat effects as puzzles if they are presented as such. But it's also true that a significant section of the public will always wonder about possible methods no matter how well an effect is presented. That's certainly true of the laypeople I've heard talking about the Derren Brown/David Copperfield/Mac King/Lance Burton shows they've seen live - and these are absolute top rank professionals who can't be accused of presenting puzzles.

The fact is, if an effect makes an impact, then lay people will discuss it and think about it later. That's why Tamariz/Close etc write about cancelling out possible methods and the need to create conviction. Granted, most people won't spend hours trying to work things out - but they will, at least, wonder about it for a while before they give up and accept it as just being a great piece of theatre.

This is why I'm not a fan of effects where part of the method is openly on display as part of the procedure. I agree that most people don't spend much effort on trying to work things out. My point is that they don't need to. It doesn't take much effort if all they have to do is consider the most basic details of what happened.
Wow guys this thread blew up and I have not been around.

Some great thoughts Madkiki. Thanks sooo much for taking the time to post.

Obviously there will always be varying opinions on different methods of choice. Its great that we have a choice. IF we don't like one choice we can choose another. My concern is that while this particular choice is being debated its being exposed. Hope this shifts the conversation a little. : )

I've seen it used by other pros and kill with it. I don't think it needs defending. Max Maven, Ray Hyman, Barrie Richardson, Karrell Fox (who performed it thousands of times at Trade Shows, corporate events etc.) and others would agree it's fantastic. But it may not be your cup of tea. One man's trash....

In my experience the selection process isn't but a small moment in a larger presentation. The selection process, if any, should fade away. The book even, in most presentations, should fade away.

All that should remain is the word/thoughts and the revelation/process the performer creates that is dramatic, entertaining, and mystifying.

Diction has done that for myself and many others. I hope you guys continue to kill with it.

All the best,

Kranzo
Amen Kranzo. Amen.
Hi guys,
Could this book test be used for table hopping (ie. at a wedding)? In other words could it be repaeted at different table with a different outcome each time?
Thanks.
Dean:

Diction is real good for walk around performance. You would not want to perform it for EVERY table but if, for walk around, you (say) have three sets of three effects that you alternate, Diction would be real good in one of those sets, and could be used for an opener, a middle effect, OR a closer. Unusual in its flexibility.

George
Thanks George, very useful.
I'm a little late to this one, but I'm just getting back into this stuff after a decade away. I've been on the hunt for powerful effects that will not take an out-of-practice enthusiast like me very long to learn. Diction really fits the bill and provides the tools to adapt the method to other books.

Very happy to have picked this up and so far, it kills!

~Dave
I live in Québec city and the first language here, is french. Will it be possible to adapt it to another language dictionary ?

Jack
Hi Jack. I would say with a little time and effort the method can be adapted to any book or magazine, no matter the language. With the stock product, some work has been done for you based around the included dictionary, and that's part of what you're paying for. All told, though, it also acts as a great guide to help you adapt to other books.

Good luck!

~Dave