(Close Window)
Topic: Table Hopping Books
I am looking to get a job table hopping. I was wondering what are the best books on the subject.
[i]The Magic Menu, The First Five Years[/i] by Jim Sisti

-=tabman
[i]The Restaurant Magic Reader[/i] by Jim Sisti. (You may see a trend here.) http://www.themagicmenu.com/

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
Leave us not forget Scott Guinn's great blog site: http://scottfguinn.blogspot.com
Kots of good info there and best of all it's free!

Sir Richard.
David stone close up magic, tommy wonder books, derren brown books, jim pace has a book, ettienne pradier has a bit of advice on his dvd's

luke
Message: Posted by: KURT MOORE LARSON (May 20, 2009 10:50AM)
I'd have to agree with tabman and mormonyoyoman
and say The Magic Menu, The First Five Years and The Restaurant Magic Reader by Jim Sisti and perhaps Kirk Charles and Charles Green's tomes concerning restaurant work... anyone remember what the name of those are, I used to have them but a divorce swallowed them whole. LOL
Although it's not a book, I highly recommend Zach Waldman's course on restaurant magic. Zach is one of the busiest restaurant magicians in Los Angeles. His list of A-list clients is quite impressive, and his course is pure gold. It was updated within the last few months, so all the information is current. Not only will this course teach you how to get the work and keep it, but will also give you marketing tools to expand into other markets. I also believe anyone that goes through the course will find it highly motivating. You can check it out by [url=http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=972387]clicking here[/url]

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Kirk Charles’ Manual of Restaurant Magic.
Restaurant Magic Business CD - Charles Greene

Don’t forget Jim Pace’s rerelease of Restaurant Worker's Handbook - Jim Pace & Jerry MacGregor

If you are looking at non-book items, look at Live at the Jail House, a 3 DVD set from Koz.
[quote]
On 2009-05-20 13:57, lou serrano wrote:
Although it's not a book, I highly recommend Zach Waldman's course on restaurant magic. Zach is one of the busiest restaurant magicians in Los Angeles. His list of A-list clients is quite impressive, and his course is pure gold. It was updated within the last few months, so all the information is current. Not only will this course teach you how to get the work and keep it, but will also give you marketing tools to expand into other markets. I also believe anyone that goes through the course will find it highly motivating. You can check it out by [url=http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=972387]clicking here[/url]

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
[/quote]

Lou,

Some friendly advice from one pro to another. I would not bring up Zach's name in this forum. He's considered to be taboo...

Zach made his presence known by joining up here at the MC with the sole purpose of using this forum as a way to sell his "course" to other Magicians. He really ticked off EVERYONE with his "pompus" attitude. Pompus may be the wrong word. Aarogant fits better. Hmmmm....perhaps both.

I've been a big fan of Zach's magic for a while now (and still am), but I must admit that when he showed up on here and began acting as the "sole authority" on Restaurant Magic and selling yourself in this business, I began to question my Zach Waldman Fan Club Membership.

Then after he denounced Jim Sisti and called him a hack...well, I wouldn't walk across the street to take leak on Zach's face if his head were on fire...and I'm sure that many in here feel the same way.

I still think Zach's a great Magician...but I think he sucks as a human. I'm sure he's a Castle Buddy of yours but just know that he left a bad skid mark here in the MC.

I will be attending Jeff Hobson's seminar on the business side of magic next Wednesday Night. THAT should be priceless!
I don't know anything about Zach. He came along after my time obviously since I've never heard of him.

You really can't go wrong with material and information from [i]Jim Sisti[/i]. He is a disciple of Bert Allerton who practically invented Table Hopping at The Pump Room in Chicago almost a century ago.

Lots have passed this way since then and many good ones but like I said, you can't go wrong with material from Jim and it pays to know what came first so you won't have to keep inventing fire and the wheel.

The Jeff Hobson seminar ought to be good.

Oh, Steve Spill is worth a look too if his material is still available.

-=tabman
Thanks to all who've posted I will look at the books you've suggested. Thanks to all your replied.
David Stone "The Real Secrets Of Magic"also is a very good dvd , Jim Sisti"s book as previously mentioned , and "The Restaurant Workers Handbook" by Jim Pace and Jerry Macgregor. All have good ,if somewhat differing advice for an aspiring table hopper.
[quote]

Then after he denounced Jim Sisti and called him a hack...well, I wouldn't walk across the street to take leak on Zach's face if his head were on fire...and I'm sure that many in here feel the same way.

I still think Zach's a great Magician...but I think he sucks as a human. I'm sure he's a Castle Buddy of yours but just know that he left a bad skid mark here in the MC.

[/quote]

Hi Christopher,

I just read this post, and all I can say is, "Wow!!!"

These are some pretty harsh words, and I find it unbelievable that one human being would say that about another human being in a public forum like this. This is an incredibly low blow, especially since Zach isn't here to defend himself.

Keep in mind that even though I only started making posts recently, I have lurked on these forums since 2002. I have seen what goes on here, and although the Magic Café can be an incredibly beneficial resource for many people, I also know that people act in ways that they wouldn't even think about doing if they were face to face with the person they are talking about. It is a cowardly action when done behind a keyboard, but I guess this may be the nature of the beast.

I will stand behind my previous post and say that [url=http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=972387]Zach's course[/url] is probably the best resource on the market today when it comes to booking and maximizing the benefits of performing in restaurants. Aside from that, I have only known Zach to be a genuinely caring, giving, and ethical human being.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
I'd just like to say that it is a good course but very,very expensive.
A lot of the information is already out there in books such as 'The Magic Menu' and the Jim Pace book.My favourite is the Kirk Charles book.
Nathan Kranzo has a book on restaurant magic that I have been considering. It seems to me like he is going over the things that not a lot of places go over. I want this one because I think it can extend off of Live at The Jailhouse which was a phenomenal DVD.
I don't know Zach, I haven't seen him perform, and I haven't seen his course, so I can't comment on any of that. I will say that I did read the topics Christopher refers to, and while I might agree that he didn't come across as friendly or helpful as he might have with a little more effort and a little more careful wording, I don't think he did anything to merit the scathing words in Mr. Lyle's above post. No offense Christopher, but saying you'd let the guy die... well, that seems more than a little over the top for a disagreement on a magic forum.

I will say this: while I have never met Lou and don't him well, we have had some correspondence, and he has never come across as anything but a gentleman and a true pro. I trust him enough to believe that Zach must be a decent guy and his course must be very good, indeed.

As far as recommendations that I have owned and read:
Jim Pace's book is very good, as is Kirk Charles' and the Charles Greene audio. Al the Only put out a great book on restaurant magic, and Dan Fleshman has a good comb-bound book on it. The Magic Menu books by Sisti are also excellent. All of the sources come from working pros who have been doing it forever.
He may be a nice guy (I might argue about "decent") and I agree that he didn't deserve the harshest words available. I do feel he needlessly insulted Jim Sisti, and only did it to proclaim his book superior to Jim's books.

Yet he's one of God's children, so I'm prepared to give him a break.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
"Real World Magic" by Jerry MacGregor
Hi Grandpa Chet,

There is a whole back story to the whole Jim Sisti and Zach Waldman debacle that nobody on these forums know about (except for Jim Sisti and Zach Waldman). People tend to pass judgement even when they don't know all of the details. That is the way of world I guess.

Sisti's Magic Menu is a great resource and The First Five Years has a plethora of valuable information. It was a book that I referenced many times when I first started working restaurants. Even today it is a wonderful resource for any restaurant worker. I have also read most of the other books mentioned above and have found valuable information in all of them.

My suggestion to anyone that is interested in restaurant magic is to get all of the materials listed above. You can never have too much information. Each has its strong suits and weaknesses. The key is to figure out what works best for you, and then actually apply the information. After all, to know and not do, is to not yet know.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Mark leveridge
art of hopping tables
real world advise and with the current uk pound price a no brainer
You want to be successful?

Get up earlier, go to bed later and work harder than your competition and read and learn everything you can about your field of interest whether you agree with it or not.

-=tabman
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jun 8, 2009 11:19AM)
These are all fantastic Resources:

• Jim Sisti's Magic Menu
• Kirk Charles Book on restaurant magic
• David Stones' excellent book - really covers strolling magic in general not just restaurants
• Zach Waldman. Sorry Christopher.

Zach's effort has real merit. He put a lot of work into his course and it's based on real life experience. It's also very different in one major way - Zach's course is a PROGRAM that if followed to the letter will bring you results. It is highly structured, and each lesson gives you a specific task to perform. When you perform those tasks, you will accomplish your goal. of getting a gig. Zach’s course is also very motivational – look out Tony Robbins!

I’m not a close friend of Zach’s, and this is not hype. I met Zach about 8 years ago when he was doing a gig for a company party I attended. I think we should all talk about what we know about magicians from our OWN first hand experience
[quote]
On 2009-06-05 05:26, lou serrano wrote:
People tend to pass judgement even when they don't know all of the details.
[/quote]

Haven't condemned him. Have only his behavior here to determine if I want to listen to him ever again.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
Tabman, I agree with you 100%. The only thing I would add is work "smarter" than your competition, and that's where the reading you mentioned would fit in very nicely!

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
I know that you've asked for a list of BOOKS outlining material on table hopping, however, there is a two DVD set on the market produced by Kozmomagic.com called Live At The Jailhouse that features some of the greatest strolling magicians in the industry including Paul Green, Garrett Thomas, Kirk Charles, Dan Fleshman, and Kozmo. I seriously would advise picking up this set, as there is a ton of useful information within the discs and the effects performed and explained are worthy of your attention.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1584
Jailhgouse is great. I'd also add to the Zzch course praise, it's really a step-by-step guide.
Jailhouse is the best DVD resource, hands down. It was also very educational watching BOTH the younger and older magicians perform in the same conditions.

The young guys had the best technical chops... but the older guys KILLED.
Agree for Jailhouse dvd, it is really interesting to watch the difference of style between the 2 generations.

Other posts mentioned David Stone and Mark Leveridge dvds : excellent resources too.
You know, Mike Close started out as a table hopper at Illusions Restaurant in Indy. I think he was doing that when I booked him in Nashville for the MC Conclave. I don't know if he has any table hopping books but if he does that would be worth a look too.

-=tabman
[quote]
On 2009-06-10 19:01, Joe S. wrote:
Jailhouse is the best DVD resource, hands down. It was also very educational watching BOTH the younger and older magicians perform in the same conditions.

The young guys had the best technical chops... but the older guys KILLED.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, Joe, would you consider Dan Fleshman an "older" guy or a "younger" guy?
[quote]
On 2009-06-10 11:38, Eric Jones wrote:
"..., there is a two[three} DVD set on the market produced by Kozmomagic.com called Live At The Jailhouse that features some of the greatest strolling magicians in the industry including Paul Green,..."[/quote]

Hi Eric and everyone else,

Thanks for making this suggestion. I do appear on the set, but I certainly don't think of myself as one of the greatest. Additionally, why not get the set directly from Kozmo? http://www.kozmomagic.com

Respectfully,

Paul Green
Paul may not think of himself as one of the greatest strolling magicians in the industry, but I certainly think of Paul Green as one of the greatest strolling magicians in the industry.

I've worked with Paul many times and he always kills! Professionalism like that only comes from many years of experience. When Paul has something to say about strolling magic... I listen.

Lou Serrano
Here here!
Paul Green is fantastic PERIOD! I was so honored to work with him on the jailhouse set and even more honored to call him a friend...he is the nicest guy in magic. Paul Green was not close up magi of the year at the castle because hes bad....trust me, hes great...one night paul and I were hanging at the castle and "MONK" the guy tony chalup (spelling) was there and I love his show so I went up to him and did card to pocket for him...i did ok then paul just frickin killed him with his card to wallet routine.....blew me away.....frickin paul is the man.....
Joe, Lou, Ted,
Lou, Ted, Joe,
Ted, Joe, Lou,

I continue to blush.

Enjoy the search!

Paul (Everyone gets to be first) Green
I want to make Paul blush further. To anyone looking to add another dvd to their collection 'In the trenches' by Paul Green is very, very good indeed. If you want to supplement your books with dvds, make this one of them.
Agreed--Paul is DA MAN! I learned a TON from him, and count him not only as a friend, but as a mentor and "strolling icon".
Can you still get "Al the Only's" book?
I've not seen it in years but I still have my copy, from a time when there was little else on the subject.
Hip hip hooray for Al the Only and the knowledge he shared that helped so many people try something we'd only heard of.
Hi Everyone,

another book, that has not been mentioned is Cashing In With Close-Up Magic by Scott Hollingsworth. It was of major influence on me when I started.

Check it out: http://www.scotthollingsworth.com/products.html

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
Scott Hollingsworth is a very smart man. I've only met him once and had a chance to sit down for dinner with him. He has a plethora of knowledge regarding restaurant magic and business in general. Although I haven't read his book, I can only imagine the gems that can be found within its pages.

Lou Serrano
Agreed--Scot has been "table hopping" for longer than many magicians in this topic have been alive. His book has some great stuff in it. I particularly like his ring and rope (harness ring) material.
[quote]
On 2009-06-03 01:34, lou serrano wrote:

I will stand behind my previous post and say that [url=http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=972387]Zach's course[/url] is probably the best resource on the market today when it comes to booking and maximizing the benefits of performing in restaurants. Aside from that, I have only known Zach to be a genuinely caring, giving, and ethical human being.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
[/quote]

Is that your affiliate number you keep posting in the link? I think Zach has some good info, although I also disliked his "better than anybody" approach. Plus the mails got to be too much. He never contributed to any post that did not promote his course. In fact all of his posts were his own topics promoting his course and claiming his information is far superior that books such as the "outdated" Magic Menu. I wanted to get his course but it was too much to pay for just an online course that had no printed back ups. In other words if the site ever goes down you lose all of the information you paid for. From what I saw you had to go to the site to log in to use what you bought.

I told Zach that I disliked this as well. He said he would come out with a much more expensive printed version soon, although I am not sure if he ever did.