(Close Window)
Topic: Impromptu Stuff
What are the best impromptu tricks and supplies for random encounters?
There are numerous lists of impromptu tricks in this category. You would probably be best served to read the many previous posts.
Sorry if this is an inconvenience for a repeated question as such, but I just wanted a renewed look on it and some more outlooks. ;)
Best for one is not necessarily best for another.
I depends on how well you present the trick and how it fits into the situation you're in.
Visit my IMP pages by clicking the IMP links below my signature. It may give you some ideas.

Best to ya,
Thanks
For me,

I prefer to use what I have on hand. Paper napkins, rubber bands and I always try to keep a thumb tip in my pocket. the crayon trick in restaurants is good to remember because kids always have crayons. use what you have and it will never fail you. mind magic with a pencil and paper is also a hit with kids.

larry moore
There are several tricks you can do. You can bite a quarter in half and restore it using the bite out quarter. Penetrating pen making a pen penetrate a dollar bill unharmed. Also Dlite where you make a red light vanish and reappear.

The flying rubberband is always good. When I am asked to perform I make a coin vanish from one hand and reappear in the spectators ear.
Hope This Helps
My favorite impromptu routines
Borrow a quarter and do a nice one coin flurry ending with the quarter under my glass or in their ear.

Rubberbands can be a whole act in itself of you learn a few routines with them
-See any of the Dan Harlan Rubberband videos or read Elastrix

Positive/Negative, business card and some loose change
-Max Maven
Impromptu (??)
this assumes that I have a pen and a business card!
I ask for their lucky number and do a MAGIC SQUARE using the back of my business card - which of course I leave with them.
Details of an easy square can be found in Harry Loraynes MAGIC BOOK.
There are some other good things in that book using everyday items.
I think the best one is Greg Wilson's Pointless because it uses an ordinary pen that no one suspects is gimmicked.

It's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPcwbriNHkw
Wow I really enjoyed that one.
Thank you MT! I like that! Penguin has sold out again (rated 5 stars, by all reviewers), but it's still available here, at The Trick Shop:

http://www.trickshopmagic.com/dvdpointless.html

For $40, you get the gimmicked pen (I've been assured of it's quality), and a DVD that is chock full of ideas. Gregory Wilson's routine is top notch! I like his style. Highly recommended.

Doug
I like the Greg Wilson routine. My favorite thing to do is to learn tricks that mean I get to carry absolutely nothing on me. Sure I know rubberbands stuff, but I do it if I find rubberbands. Also, knowing a bunch of tricks wig unprepared items means that when someone asks you to show them a trick, you can respond with "what do you have on you?" borrowed magic is always better even if it's rubber bands, paper clips, pens, quarters, bills... cups and balls.
[quote]
On 2010-08-30 21:22, Alex Rapattoni wrote:
...My favorite thing to do is to learn tricks that mean I get to carry absolutely nothing on me...when someone asks you to show them a trick, you can respond with "what do you have on you?" borrowed magic is always better...
[/quote]

I agree, Alex. That's sorta where I am now. Someone asked me to show them a trick, when I went back to the store the other day. I had already shown them something a week before. I just grabbed a pencil out of the holder, and waited until everyone was watching. I just did the "Flipstick" move. That's it. Pencil's GONE! As I was walking out, there was talking going on! LOL! That's impromptu.

Doug
That's a great story, Doug. And an excellent example of impromptu magic. It doesn't really matter what you do, if you aren't planning on doing a whole show for someone, a simple vanish or production of something is just as powerful as a card trick, or coins across, or spongeballs... or cups and balls.
[quote]
On 2009-05-25 18:02, Double O Magic wrote:
What are the best impromptu tricks and supplies for random encounters?
[/quote]

Check out Jay Sankey. He has a DVD on the subject. Great stuff. And Gregory Wilson has a DVD called "On The Spot"

Between the two, I'll bet you can find more material than you can use in a lifetime!
On the spot is great. Pretty much everything in there is completely impromptu. You don't need anything prepared ahead of time. Thinking about it, the only thing thatight require some forethought is carrying a loose key, which I already do. If I go into my house with anyone new around me I always do a coin to key (I keep my house key disguised a a Kennedy half in case I lose it)
Greg is tops in my book. Killer material is always his ace in the hole.
Greg Wilsons Recap is great. So strong magic with just a pen.
Greg Wilson has a 3 dvd set on impromptu magic
Get Cameron Francis's Moment's Notice series.
Brilliant.
'Nuff said.

Kyle
Glass or coins thru table.
Coins. Production, coins across, vanish.
Bennett's Boner by Horace Bennett, uses napkins
Nothing beats doing tricks with something from the audience.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
The book, “Lifesavers,” by Michael Webber has been discussed at length on the Café.

You might want to look it up.
Wow this is an old post of mine! I have matured so much since then and I can tell my question was very badly worded. I probably should have worded it more along the lines of, " What is your personal preference when it comes to random encounters. What do you think one should learn to use at any moments notice? (besides coins :P)"
Go with the Rubber bands and the routines with them. They are easy to carry and work wonderfully.
[quote]
On 2010-08-30 21:22, Alex Rapattoni wrote:
I like the Greg Wilson routine. My favorite thing to do is to learn tricks that mean I get to carry absolutely nothing on me. Sure I know rubberbands stuff, but I do it if I find rubberbands. Also, knowing a bunch of tricks wig unprepared items means that when someone asks you to show them a trick, you can respond with "what do you have on you?" borrowed magic is always better even if it's rubber bands, paper clips, pens, quarters, bills... cups and balls.
[/quote]

I am learning rubber band stuff now. I intend to always keep a few rubber bands on my wrist. With all the "silly bands", cause bracelets, friendship bracelets, etc that folks are wearing these days, it won't look out of place, even in my day-to-day business attire...then, I am always ready with a few tricks to do if need be.
I like the effect called the game. it was brought out by Joshua Jay and its pretty much a total impromptu prediction. You make a prediction on paper then people give items: watches, shoes, bills, ect. then you point to two items and they eliminate one then they point to two items and you eliminate one then the last item left is the prediction>
Double O,

I really like George Schindler's Magic with Everyday Objects. It prepares you well for dinner table magic specifically but lot's of other opportunities. Great book. Impromptu magic has lots of possibilities before and after a meal. Also check out JAy Sankey's Bending the Real project at top of Index here at the Café. Great stuff for impromptu magic.

Pete
On The Spot by Gregory Wilson has many great ideas for completely impromptu effects. I would suggest picking up a copy.
I just perform the Invisible Deck :)