(Close Window)
Topic: Practice Table
I couldn't find anywhere else to put this, and I figured this was as good a place as any, and probably most relevant. I'm looking to buy a table that I can use for close up practice, but I'm really struggling to find anything. I've found some self assemble side tables from IKEA that are the perfect dimension, but only sit about 50cm high, which isn't enough. Any tips on maybe a home made version?

Cheers,

Chris
I'm not going to find it for you , but I would imagine any folding card table would suffice. A Google search should turn up what you are loooking for. If you look you will find them for under $70.00!
If you want to build your own look here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=26&22837
Go to the second page...

Cardamagically,
Dom :) ;)
I agree a folding card table....square or oblong with padded top, is really nice for practicing close up work. Used one for many years. (Walmart I believe carries several.)

They are relatively inexpensive, store nicely, and are usually the same height as tables you will encounter at performance sites.
Build in a grove on the opposite sides that will hold small Dollar Store mirrors so you can watch your hands as you practice.
I use a tv tray that is wooden I purchased at wal-mart and it works fine. I can sit in any comfortable chair and practice. thanks
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (May 27, 2009 04:26AM)
Go to any store selling garden furniture that folds. I got a table I use for my magic for less than $35 from the Co-op. Walmart in Indiana seemed to have many different varieties when I was last in the States
Hiho!

I had the same problem. Problem solved:

Go to some music store and ask for a percussion table for drummer. Price here in Germany is 45Ä including shipment, so I guess it will be about 45$ in US. Don't know the price in UK though. I bought this one:

http://www.ppc-music.de/de/anzeigeCartikelPPvkabtCPPartikelgruppeCPPwarengruppeCPPartikelnummerC0040936.html

and put some piece of spare board onto the table surface after carefully removing the cloth. Then I glued the cloth back on. Works perfectly.
[quote]
On 2009-05-26 12:45, B Hackler wrote:
I use a tv tray that is wooden I purchased at wal-mart and it works fine. I can sit in any comfortable chair and practice. thanks
[/quote]

Ditto. $8 at Target. It looks great, glossy black. I've used it for performing. I just place a close-up pad on top.
I bought an adjustable black music stand that fit's my close-up pad perfectly. I still use this in performance.

-Dan
My kitchen table is perfect!
[quote]
On 2009-05-28 21:26, nattefrost wrote:
My kitchen table is perfect!
[/quote]

GREAT IDEA!!!
If you want a practice table, why not buy a card mat and use any table around the house?
A bit pricey, but you can get a busker's table with a set of appropriate legs. Check out what is available at the ambitious card.
You can build a felt topped table that looks similar to the one at ambitious card for a fraction of the price, I just built two and they look great.
(PM me if you want the low down on the how to do it easy.)
Then go buy a tray stand from a restaurant supply store, and you will be set! Itís easy and cheap!