(Close Window)
Topic: favorite self-working trick
What's your favorite self working card trick?
-Lazy man's card trick

-JC Wagner's super closer

-Xeroxed deck
probably black envelope for self-working.
Raising Card.

Mago Mai
Simon Aronson's Poker Deal.
One of my very favorites...
Al Baker's Diminishing Cards.

What great reactions!
Allan Ackerman's Gemini Money
Invisible Deck first then Henry Evan's "A Tribute to Varone"
The 52 card trick. and the piano trick

vinny
Gemini twins
Invisible Deck & Untouched
Brainwave deck I suppose. It's not quite self working, but it's not hard
Invisible deck do I think!
People Iīve done it for have just asked me to do that trick again. They thought that the other tricks could have been done with skill but this one??? They don't get "a *****"!

Per Agge
"Out of This World" and "Mexican Poker".

The strength of these two routines is absolutely phenomenal.

Incidently, even though I practice sleight-of-hand extensively, these are my two favourite tricks of all.

Though, they aren't really self-working because they need to be married with sleight-of-hand when I perform them to enhance the effect immensely.

Take it easy,

John.
Invisible deck, untouched, 52 card pick up :lol:
since Black envelope isn't totally self-working, I guess that my favorite is out of this world.
Invisible Deck. I will sit at the front of a line of people entering a party (reception line, sign-in line, etc.) and do it over and over as I go down the line, turning away from the line to "reverse" a new card each time. The reaction builds each time I do it.
Neither nor blind or stupid by Juan Tamariz
Feurio by Pit Hartling
and the Super memory by Juan Tamariz :bikes: :bluebikes:
I like Stewart James' "Further Than That." Unfortunately, the method is so easy many magicians fail to realize the impact it has on spectators. Lucky me. :baby:
presented correctly gemini twins is a killer.
For years it was Daryl's "Untouched" with the Ammar finesse added. Last year I started doing Regal's "Self-Evident" and it has become my new favorite.

Jim T.
Spectator cuts the aces...
I can't remember whose version I use but it's nice :bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
I cannot remember where Stewart James' [i]Further Than That[/i] is published. Could someone tell me the [i]book[/i] (please, not a video or DVD -- I know it is on vol. 1 of EMCM)

Thanks for any help to the cite. A Private Message would be be splendid!

:nose:
Invisible Deck gets my strongest vote, and Paul Curry's Out of this World is quite close too!
I like really self worked trick:
"Two last cards match" from Tremaine Video "Comercial CloseUp Acts".
I have a card location/revelation that I came up with, nothing earth shattering or new here folks. I call it mine because I came up with the idea independently of any printed material. The spec/assistant signs the card they have picked then placing it on the deck cuts the deck to their heart's content. I then locate the card by looking at the back of the cards, sign the one I believe is theirs, and then give the card that now has their signature and mine on it to them to keep.

Samuel
I like Brainwave Deck. I use it in the form of the Invisible Deck.
I like the Invisible Deck. It is probably one of my favorites.
Nick Trosts's routine where the 12 face cards are shown in 6 mismatched pairs, then magically the face cards of each color pair up together. It's in card college 1, among other places.
The trick that is known as Perfect Match, and probably 10.000 other names.
I wish I knew whose trick it originally was, and what it's called (it's published 100's of times), but the effect is pretty devastating for a routine that is completely selfworking and ungaffed.

It's the effect where you or a spectator deals of cards to any point they like, you mark the spot with an ace....repeat that procedure....and reveal that the place where they inserted the aces is exactly next to the other two aces.
(Or same procedure with a rainbow deck, blank deck, or whatever)

Kaj
[quote]
On 2003-07-15 13:09, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Nick Trosts's routine where the 12 face cards are shown in 6 mismatched pairs, then magically the face cards of each color pair up together. It's in card college 1, among other places.
[/quote]

Talking about Nick Trost, maybe a good self-trick could be too his "Eight Cards Brainwave".

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero :bikes:
I think was called "Live At Five" but I used esp cards and they "Match" when all is said and done.

Gets very good response.

Bryan
Paul Cummins has been doing what he calls the 'ACME CARD WORKSHOP.' Everyone knows Paul for his sleight of hand, but he has a soft spot for good self-working tricks and this workshop is packed with them. There is one called the three pile trick that will stump just about any magician that don't know it, and is just as effective for laymen. And also included is what I consider to be the best "DO as I DO" in the world (this one will kill ya, but you'll die happy). And there is a lie detector of Gary Plant's that is fun to do as well.

Also I love "The World's Gratest Magician," from Semi Automatic Card Tricks Vol-1. "Quadruple Prediction" is another great trick from that tome. Of course if I listed all the things I liked from the Semi-Auto books, it would take all day.

Anyway Just my 2 cents

Take care
The invisible deck is nice. But as for a little packet trick.. NFW always blows people away
There is a nice effect called The Piano Trick. You can find it in The Royal Road to Card Magic.

It could become a killer when performed as a miracle.

Mago Mai
Daryl's Untouched and Play it Stright Triumph by Jonh Bannon
Do as I do
Overkill, I'm not sure who it's by, but I think it might be Harris, Ackerman and Emberg if my memory serves me correctly. Also untouched by Daryl is a great effect!!!!
Galaxy by Paul Harris.

It's relatively easy to perform, it's amazing, and cleaner in my view than other Out of This World handlings.
My vote goes for Harry Lorayne's Out of This Universe!

A pure miracle!!!

ROnnie LEmieux
MOntreal
Canada
My two favorite (semi selfworking) card effects are. 1. nu-way out of this world (just one of many out of this world effects).
2. You do as I do.
I have been doing these two card effects for over 32 years and have never failed to totaly amaze and entertain with these two feats of Magic. Especially with borrowed cards and done impromptu. Yes, I have actually borrowed a deck and right in front of the spectators performed nu-way out of this world. Now that is Magic.
Iven :patty:
I just bought my first ID yesterday, and I have to say that it's absolute genius.
:bikes:
Mine are Lazy mans card trick and odd/even trick (as long as you get the deck cut in the exact center).

GlenD
Rising card
From the perspective of audience reaction it would be my handling of invisible deck, and I agree with Jive Turkey that Galaxy is outstanding. I started doing it again a few months ago when I was going through my old Magical Arts Journals. It was one of those that I had stopped doing for one reason or another and had forgotten about it.
Invisible Deck
Play it Stright Triumph
[quote]
On 2003-07-16 22:11, Mago Mai wrote:
There is a nice effect called The Piano Trick. You can find it in The Royal Road to Card Magic.

It could become a killer when performed as a miracle.

Mago Mai[/quote]
Yes I think so too.

In May 2000 issue of the GENII, you can find my variation of Piano Trick titled Piano Sans Keyboard. You can perform the trick complete ly without touching the cards.

When I lectured at Tokyo Amateur Magicians Club, encored trick was this trick. It means this trick completely baffled the magicians.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
I don't think ID is a self-working trick.
The Insurance Policy (ETMCM/Vol 1). Easy to perform, lots of humor and the surprise ending provide good entertainment.
DaveS
Out Of This World
Lazy Man's Card Trick
A Swindle Of Sorts
Gemini's Twin from Fulves' More Self-Working Card Tricks
Do As I Do from a bunch of sources (I think I learned it from Scarne on Card Tricks)
Overkill from ETMCM Vol. 2 & Art of Astonishment Vol. 2
Self-Evident from The Magic of David Regal Vol. 1
I think Do As I Do and 8 Card Brainwave followed by Red Hot Mama.
I can't stand self-working card tricks.
They are usually too long, involve too many cards,
involve a stacked deck, involve counting or spelling or making a clock out of cards, wierd shuffling or cutting, magicians choices, etc.

yuck. yawn.

that's just me. maybe because they are so hard to do effectively. harder than effects with slight of hand. using slight of hand, you've got miracles happening; with self-working, you've got to create miracles from the patter, etc., and for some reason, it just doesn't do it for me.

Acutally Sam the Bellhop is a self-working trick too if you want to think of it that way.

"Let's spell to your card"
"E-I-G-H-T- O-F- D-I-A-M-O-N-D-S"

Yuck. Can't stand it.
Out of this World
Feurio
Untouched

Xeroxed deck

Raising Card

Invisible Deck

Ron

[quote]
On 2003-08-19 11:06, Reis O'Brien wrote:
I just bought my first ID yesterday, and I have to say that it's absolute genius.
:bikes:
[/quote]

Yes it is.

If you do it right its as close to REAL magic as you'll ever get.
Xeroxed deck is a ton of fun.
Peace,
Parson
There's a trick by Jennings which I perform very very often. It involves some open keycards and counting the cards (WHAT?!?!!) but it never fails to entertain. Everytime I perform magic for someone who has already seen that trick, it's the one they ask for!
Dai Vernons Triumph
Do as I do
Brainwave Deck
Hooser's color changing deck routine....
Invisible Deck....
I think you mean Impossible Tielie. I absolutly love play it straight. I also love the odd card by martin Lewis
I don't really see the invisible deck as "self working" but my favorite self working card trick is the rising card. The only problem is, I don't know how to do a deck switch.
[quote]
On 2005-10-14 18:45, kramerica2010 wrote:
I think you mean Impossible Tielie. I absolutly love play it straight. I also love the odd card by martin Lewis
[/quote]

No I don't, although Impossible is also very nice :) Didn't have the book at hand when I wrote my comment. But here it is: it's called Twisting the Plot.
Lennart Greenīs [b]The Dragon's Pearl[/b] is a very fine self working effect that is mind-boggling !
Yo can find the effect on this dvd:
http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=DV4580
"Hidden power" found from Karl Fulves' "My best self working card tricks" book.

also "will the cards match".
For a gambling demonstration following 'The Lorraine Poker Deal', Fulves 'Speed Stacking' from 'Best Self Working Card Tricks' is one of the best self workers I've come across. You can arrange the aces from the previous mystery, crimp the bottom card are you are away. It looks like an impossible feat of pure skill but is simple to perform and presented correctly can used an effective closer.

Regards,

Paul H