(Close Window)
Topic: Worst thing about the favorite books you own..?
Hehe, I am thinking about starting a debate to hear your opinions about the WORST thing about the FAVORITE books that you own.

For example; I find Card College Vol. 1 to be one of the best books I own but I really don't like the looong patters and the "non"-humor in the text overall.

Let me hear your opinions... :rolleyes:
Worst thing about my favorite books - That other magi get to read them too.
Exactly what Marko said. My favorite books get read by other magicians.

Andrew
They are not autographed by the author.
More books should have an index. The Albo Series is a great work but the index volume is poorly organized.
Too much stuff to learn (AoA)
I have to wash my hands etc before touching the book!
[quote]
On 2003-05-24 18:28, The Original Countelmsley wrote:
More books should have an index. The Albo Series is a great work but the index volume is poorly organized.
[/quote]

I'll go with that sentiment. Here is the ultimate: I bought a used copy of "The Art of Close-up Magic" by Lewis Ganson. It is a great book but the chapters were driving me nuts because there was no Table of Contents in the front of the book.

But, not to despair--a table of "Contents" is listed as the last three pages of the book and are numbered 342-344, respectively.

I'm certainly glad to have found the table of contents AFTER reading the entire book.

I guess they do things a little different over in Jolly 'ol England.

Mike
My favorite books contain more material that is excellent than I'll ever be able to master. This is a good problem though!
Worst thing about some of the books I own (Not exactly favorites) is the overuse of the word "Phalange" or "Phalanges".

Quote from Royal Road to Card Magic
"Keep the grip of the first phalanges of the right thumb and forefinger on the right-hand corners of the deck, and turn the hand to a vertical position" pg.178

HUH?????
LOL, sometimes the effects in some of my favorite books are outdated, which can be a problem. Obviously, the solution is to update them, but it can still make things difficult. "Borrow a gentleman's hat." Riiight.
[quote]
On 2003-05-24 23:36, Jgriff wrote:
Worst thing about some of the books I own (Not exactly favorites) is the overuse of the word "Phalange" or "Phalanges".

Quote from Royal Road to Card Magic
"Keep the grip of the first phalanges of the right thumb and forefinger on the right-hand corners of the deck, and turn the hand to a vertical position" pg.178

HUH?????
[/quote]
Phalanges is the finger-halfsides at the end of the fingers, pads, the side which is called phalanxe is the same half side as the thumb side. :thumbsup:
My favorite book is Bobo's modern coin magic book (HB) but its way toooooo big to carry with me all the time.
I love that book :)

Chris
I also agree on the point regarding indexes. It's really great when these are included.

Long sentences that try to explain a move which could perhaps be broken down into simpler steps. Also, explanations that mix presentation of a move with the mechanics of the move. There are some examples of these in the card college books (which are excellent overall!).

Beetroot
Agree, they need an index!

Also I makes so many notes in the border, and underline, highlight, I have to buy another book so I can read it without all the scribblings.
I think many magical publications (including those I love the most) suffer from poor typography, such as: the use of blank lines instead of tabs (or blank lines AND tabs); abuse of bold faced type, excessive underlining, and words in capital letters; incorrect leading above and below headers.
The last page! :cool:
The MASSIVE price!!!
The hypes, hypes, hypes... before, during and after the description of the effects