(Close Window)
Topic: Smoke from thumb????
I have tried doing a search for this but I couldn't find anything... Maybe I was typing the wrong words in ...If there is anyone that can help me I would be greatful!!!

I want to know if I can make this or where I can buy it?

Also what do you think audiences would think of it. I would be performing it outside? I would include it with a smoking glass routine!

Thanks for all your insight!

Anthony
Hi what about this? http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=2390 it is not from thumb, though.
Instead of "smoke from the thumb", try "smoking the thumb" or "smoking thumb." You might also try including Fred Kaps' name in your search, since his version of this effect was a masterpiece of manipulation.
I would recommend you Original Kaps gimmick or Paul Diamond`s gimmick. They are totally different. Gaps gimmick has to be palmed and manipulated from hand to hand and Diamond`s gimmick is in your mouth all the time.
Martin Breese (UK) has this gimmick.
There has been virtually no work available on this...until now!
Bob Kohler and Puck have a brand new version coming out in a few days that covers everything on this classic effect. The set comes with everything you need...the gimmick, glass and a great presentation that uses a no smoking theme. I saw Puck do this at the Magic Castle and it rocked.

-Scott
Many years ago, when smoking and performing cigaret magic were still socially acceptable, I used to do a quick impromptu thumb smoking routine that involved vanishing a lit cigaret by tonguing it, then pretending to use my fist like a pipe by puffing on my thumb (the extended thumb was supposed to represent a pipe stem and the closed fist, the bowl of the pipe). Of course, when I would blow out a puff of smoke, the smoke would actually be generated by blowing through the tongued cigaret hidden in my mouth. Then I would open the "pipe" hand, showing it empty, make a magic gesture with it in front of my mouth and reproduce the lit cigaret between my lips. Obviously, this was just a quick bit, but it was surprising to the spectators and seemed to entertain them.
I'm looking forward to the new routine from Bob and Puck!!!
I beleive Stephens magic used to carry something like this a while back. Not sure about now though
Scott Alexander is correct. My good friend Puck has developed and incredible solution for the classic Smoking Thumb plot.

For many of you Puck is a mystery. The reason is he's another one of the working pros who is always working and never hangs out with magicians. The good news is he's a great friend of mine and I've convinced him to release his deepest secret.

Puck's routine for the Smoking Thumb is called "No Smoking". His handling of the plot works in today's society. The routine has a lot going for it. First, it's not offensive even to people who are 100% anti-smoking.
The proof is Puck has been performing this routine for Disney for the last few years and they love it. Why...
There are two reasons. First, the audience never sees a cigarette and second, there's a nice surprise at the beginning of the routine that sets up the no smoking theme.

Another very important point is Puck's solution is completely NON-TOXIC. There are no harsh chemicals involved. In fact, you can perform the routine without any TOBACCO. So when you perform the routine you can actually control the scent. So the audience will smell scents from vanilla to cherry.

We've spent many months developing the perfect gaffs. Puck's handling of the props is top shelf and I can tell you that the work and gaffs are by far the best ever created for this type of effect.

The Smoking Thumb has a great lineage from Laurel and Hardy who created the plot to Ade DuVal to Fred Kaps. Now you can add Puck to the list. He's brought the trick to a professional level that surpasses all previous versions.

The product is just about to ship. It's now up on my web site and I am taking orders. The first units will ship next Monday.

Check out the No Smoking page for a full description and a movie of the performance. More pictures will soon be up as well.
Is this nothing more then the new electronic cigarette on the market that heats up some type of liquid that makes a water mist?

The smoke in glass is the 1st method that does not have to be held in the hand while it is being performed. Very good work at making it correctly for the performance.

Can the cloth/scarf be ordered without the 'No Smoking' symbol on them?
The new electronic cigarettes are not used at all in No Smoking.
I'm sure I can provide the silk without the logo but it would take a little time on the special order.

By the way the link to the product on my site is: https://www.bobkohlermagic.com/view-product.cfm?productid=62
Looks very interesting. I do have an answer for the following, which came from Kohler's site:

Q: Is "No Smoking" the same as the Fred Kaps routine?
A: First, Puck and I believe that Fred Kaps was one of the greatest magicians we've ever had. His routine from a performance stand point is the epitome. But his methods were questionable. We've done a ton of research on Fred's routine but our research has revealed that nobody really knows what Fred's Smoking Thumb gimmick was. We've had many knowledgeable magicians insist that he used one type of gimmick or another but the facts are inconclusive.

When Fred died, he left a number of items from his repertoire to me. I have the Kaps Smoking Thumb Gimmick. I demonstrated this, and another smoking effect for impromptu close-up conditions of Fred's at the FISM Convention in The Netherlands.

However, I can say this: It is very simple. Fred told me the difference was the fact that he was a better manipulator than anyone else trying to do it.

The Martin Breese gimmick, with Pat Page's instructions is as close as any, and in fact, is nicer than the one Fred used, as Fred just cobbled up the pieces in his home workshop.

Remember, it is the presentation of Kaps's that is what really makes his so strong. Clean, simple, uncluttered -- pure magic.
Puck's routine for the Smoking Thumb is called "No Smoking" ?
So if a smoker runs out of cigarettes and finds a silk with no smoking sign in the pack and after that smokes his finger and produce smoke it is no smoking ? Who and why keeps a folded silk in the pack just to show no smoking sign ? If you start that routine by taking a cigarette out and when you light it it changes in a silk with that sign it might have some sense. After you finish smoking thumb routine silk can change in no smoking thumb sign ?
I have never smoked in my life but I performed smoking thumb with Kaps (Martin Breese) gimmick many times and never had any problems with it. It was as unhealthy for me as when I come to a bar that has smoking and no smoking area at the same place.
As Pete already said it is not true that nobody knows what Kaps used. When I got mine from Martin I sent a photo to Pete and I think that Martin`s gimmick has some advantages. Martin was involved in Fred Kaps show that he recorded in England and he told me that Kaps had a small candle burning all the time in his treasure chest and that is how he would lit the gimmick. Personally I use 2 of those gimmicks and a body servante and that way you can show your both hands empty when audience expects that you have something in your hand. Michael from Argentina explains how he solved that by using invisible hand holdout on his DVDs.
Kaps was simple a great magician and his presentation was excellent. Many magicians would not make it half that entertaining if they were able to really smoke their fingers.
Last, don`t forget Carazini who performed smoking thumb during his cigarette routine with no gimmicks at all.

regards,
Bojan
There is some psychology in my showing a "No Smoking" silk before producing any smoke. We are in very different times then when Kaps performed this. When I first show the silk it gets audible laughs as well as applause from non smokers. This puts everyone at ease for what is about to happen. Now when the first puff of smoke makes it's appearance the audience starts to laughs then applauds once again.

A lot of time and experimentation went into creating this routine. I perform weekly for large audiences and have had the opportunity to try it many ways until I settled on what got the best response. It may make more sence magically to produce the silk in other ways but I work predominently for lay audiences and not magicians. I have performed this many times at the Magic Castle with great success and support from my fellow magicians.
Hi Puck,

If we only need the cup & gimmick, is that available?

Cos currently we are using UGM & Xavier smoke in glass, was trying to explore other options...don't need the smoke in thumb routine with silk....please advise :)
Hi Joe,

You need to contact Bob Kohler as he is the one marketing this. You can contact him through his post here on this thread.

Thanks,
Puck
I believe the smoke gimmick that was never discovered was Ade Duval's. I remember Jay Marshall saying how he used to watch in the wings but could never catch the gimmick.

Richard
Correct. I watched a film of Duval a number of times and never figured out what he was using. I'm surprised Jay didn't get NOSIER.

One current effect that has me baffled is one that I could find out easily by being backstage, but I love the effect and respect the performer and won't do it.
Just stumbled upon this thread. I have published Ade Duval's Smoking Thumb routine for the first time in my book, "ADE DUVAL: SILKEN SORCERER" which debuted at the 2009 L.A. Magic History Conference. Yes, Duval was the first to perform the Smoking Thumb routine in 1939. Fred Kaps worked on the Magic Circle's Golden Jubilee show (1955) with Duval and it was there that Kaps saw Duval present the routine that later inspired Kaps to develop his own version. Richard and Pete are correct that Duval never showed his gimmick to anyone, however, John Thompson did see the gimmick once (by accident) which I describe in my book. I also demonstrate the routine in the book with current commercially-available props that I have modified for the Duval presentation. With all due respect to Fred Kaps, Duval's routine (which was done with patter)is the benchmark by which all smoking thumbs should be compared. Technically, it was flawless, and most importantly, it was ENTERTAINING.
You can find details about the book at my website: http://www.charvetmagic.com.
David Charvet
Website is not working...

Paulo
Type the website address in manually - the link does not "link" for some reason... David

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 5:50pm
http://www.charvetmagic.com

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 5:51pm
That did it! Forgot the "http://"
Thanks for the correction, I tried to 'Google' you but an actor came up.

Placed my order at once. Thanks!
The actor is a distant cousin of mine - same name.

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 6:57pm
The actor is a distant cousin of mine - same name.
I eagerly await the book.
It was really the Article excerpts in the December 'Magic Magazine' and the video clip someone was gracious enough to post on YouTube.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=239353&forum=217

He may have been ahead of his time in performance art of magic.
There must be another film around as I nemember seeing him do the Smoking Thumb on a clip at Snag Werris' house (Snag was a member of the Magic Castle and a comedy writer who wrote material for Jackie Gleason - hence lots of magical bits in the Gleason shows).
There is a film - sound - black & white - of Duval performing the Smoking Thumb, Smoke in Glass and Multiplying Golf Balls. It was a Toast of The Town (Sullivan) TV show, I believe. I have a copy and also showed it in L.A. at the Magic History Conference. Duval fooled me badly with the Smoke routine the first few times watching it. His handling was superb. It is from that footage that I documented the routine in the book.
The DVD should have been included with the book. This is the 21st Century and publishing has to change with the times.

I know there is a place in NY that preserves all shows on television. There must be a way to get these old previous shows from this institute.
I do not own the rights to reproduce the television broadcast on DVD. The Ed Sullivan estate owns and licenses the shows. The cost to purchase the rights are too costly. Some years ago John Moehring wanted to put out a tape/DVD of magic acts from the Sullivan show but the Sullivan estate wanted too much money for the individual clips for it to be a reasonably priced video for sale. They figure if the footage is to be re-sold, they want a BIG piece of the pie to make it available. They are not historians, but businessmen who understand the commercial value of the shows, which in many cases are the only surviving record of many performers from the past.
The SOLT company seems to be the agency handling the Sullivan Show videos.

I believe they did one TV special, hosted by Ricky Jay.

For a video presentation at the Magic Castle on night, Solt agreed to let the members SEE one of the clips. But to do so, they had someone 'hand carry' the video to the Castle, and when the showing ended he took it back. No chance to dupe it.

One of my FAVORITE accomplishments was to produce a live show featuring all Sullivan Almuni.

Jay Marshall, Karrell Fox, John Moehring, Fantasio, Marvyn and Carol Roy and Roger Ray.

When I put the list togther the committee all asked, "Who's Roger Ray?" I told them it was a secret, but he was my all time favorite novelty act on the show. They were also miffed when I slotted him 'second to closing' (the star spot).

Their doubts vanished when he got TWO STANDING OVATIONS.
To bad as a very young boy I seen a Chinese dressed magician on the Sullivan Show, I have always remembered his Multiplying Candles to eight.
Hi Guys:

First off I want to say that I am very happy to hear that Mr. Charvet has published the Ade Duval book. I ordered it (along with the Bill in Lemon book) yesterday from the CharvetMagic.com website and I'm really looking forward to studying it as I'm a big fan of Ade & True Duval (as well as Emil Jarrow).

About the "Smoking the Thumb" trick, I hope you all don't mind if I chime in with a few thoughts, opinions and stories.

I first saw the trick performed by Kaps (on video) when I was a kid and I loved it. Kaps had such a great sense of fun on stage and as a showman he was a joy to behold. When he did the "Smoking the Thumb" it was extremely entertaining and well done. But if I want to be a real technical stickler about it, I would say that in some moves it felt like he was doing manipulation and not necessarily real magic. By that I mean that his handling of the trick relies on the repeated transfer of the gimmick from hand to hand. In order to cover this, Kaps does his best to mask this by clever idomatic handling. Nonetheless, there is a lot of hand movement going on. So in my opinion Kaps is GREAT, the routine is fantastic to watch, but it is not technical perfection (at least in my opinion). On the other hand in terms of pantomime and acting, I think Kaps is as good as it gets.

That said, I think Ade Duval is a whole different thing entirely as I feel in this case the originator of the trick (Duval) is doing work that is (technically speaking) an order of magnitude better than anyone I've seen! I am confident that I know the "real work" on Duval's method and I think his gimmick is pure genius. Over the years, I've owned and built several different smoking thumb gimmicks and when I have a chance I might make a Duval style gimmick just for fun (as this is a trick that I will never perform for lay audiences).

Finally, I want to mention a little story about the "Smoking the Thumb" and my late friend Peter Pit. If you didn't know him, Peter was a Dutchman who in the 1950s was coached and managed by Henk Vermeyden (who also guided the early careers of the trio of Dutch FISM Grand Prix winners: Fred Kaps, Richard Ross and Ger Copper). I believe Peter Pit won first prize in the General Magic category in the 1958 FISM. In 1960 Peter Pit emigrated to the USA and when I first met him he was entertainment director of Magic Castle in Hollywood.

During the late 1980s Peter decided to do a "Smoking the Thumb" routine with comedic patter about trying to quit smoking. The set-up was extremely clever. Peter took a copy of the "Readers Digest" and hollowed out the book. Inside the book was an electronic ignition device for the "Smoking the Thumb" gimmick. Peter fashioned his gimmick out a hollowed out corncob into which he inserted a cigarette. The gimmick was loaded into the book via a hole in the side. This way at any time in his stand-up comedy act, Peter could pick up the Readers Digest book and talk about a smoking cessation cure that supposedly was written in that issue. With a press of a secret button, the gimmick would ignite and the book would secretly load the gimmick into his right hand and them Peter would proceed to do the trick.

In 1990, I was working at the Palace of Mystery in the Magic Castle while Peter Pit was the MC. I was in the wings on Stage Left while watching as Peter was about to do the smoking routine before introducing my act. As planned Peter picked up the "Readers Digest" and then pressed the button to ignite the gimmick. As he did his jokes, he loaded the gimmick from the book into his right hand and then attempted to smoke his thumb. This night however something went wrong and Peter could not draw smoke from the gimmick. Sensing a comic opportunity I ran to Peter's dressing room and got one of his cigarettes and lit it and ran back into the wings while palming the lit cigarette (so Peter could not see it). After about a minute of sucking his thumb with no luck, Peter was exasperated and he finally gave up. The lay people were puzzled while the magicians in the audience were laughing as they knew Peter was in trouble. Finally Peter began to introduce me and while he was talking I quickly drew and held a mouthful of smoke and stamped out the cigarette. While the applause began I made my entrance to the stage, I looked Peter in the eye, I sucked my thumb and blew the smoke out of my mouth. Peter's jaw dropped and the magicians in the audience roared with laughter.

As funny as this was, afterwards I did feel bad about the gag as is was certainly no fun for Peter to have such a technical disaster and for me to get a big laugh afterwards was kind of like kicking a man while he was down. To make it up to him, the next day I found a very unusual Art Deco style cigarette case in an antique store in Melrose and gave it to Peter the next night at the Castle. Because Peter was an Art Deco / Art Nouveau collector the case many him very happy.

In the years that followed Peter became ill from a blood disorder that ran in his family and he died in 1999 at the age of 64. Not long after he died I happened to see an identical Art Deco cigarette case (to the one I gave Peter) in an antique store in Florida. I bought the case and I currently keep it on a free standing Art Deco ashtray in the library of my home. Whenever I see the cigarette case I think of my old friend Peter Pit and I laugh about the night when the smoke trick went wrong.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread with my little tale from the past,

Seasons Greetings to all my Friends at The Magic Café!

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
I just got Charvet's wonderful book on Ade Duval.... it is fantastic. I'm a bit swamped with Christmas rushing, etc. and just had a chance to skim read some of it and will sit down and digest it all after the holidays. I say for anyone in magic, this is a MUST READ.
Pete, how did you get your book before me? I ordered it 1st! I am so jealous! :) Maybe mine will be here tomorrow, I hope!
WE GIVE OUR POSTMAN A BIG CHRISTMAS PRESENT.
Hi All:

Just got my copies of "Ade Duval Silken Sorcerer" & "The Bill in Lemon Book featuring the Life and Times of Emil Jarrow" in the mail today. I'm so glad to get the Lemon book, before all the copies were sold out.

Both books look fabulous, but because of the holiday's I won't be able to read them until I get back on the road next week.

I just want to make a little comment about the subjects of these books. In my opinion there are very few books written about the vaudeville era magicians (who were not illusionists) and for me as a "stand-up" magician I get the most benefit learning about exactly these kinds of performers (Jarrow, Duval, Benson, Cardini, Downs, Etc.), I thank Mr. Charvet for taking the time to provide us with this sort of information.

Best regards to All,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Dang! Must have sent my DuVal book by slow mail, I ordered before both Biro and Levent. No influence I guess. Nothing in the mail today!
Wm... you gotta live in a bigger town.
I received the 'Ade DuVal Silken Sorcerer' book yesterday. I purchased the none collectors edition. It is hard bound even though the author regards it as soft bound, I guess because the Jacket is actually printed on the cover. It is a fantastic design cover and back cover of the book. It depicts the period very well and draws interest to see what is inside.

I found the book good and the story line interesting. Approximately half the book is the history and storyline, the last half is a reprint of the small book currently available from Magic Inc. about the silk act.

In between these 2 sections is the Golf Ball Routine and Smoking a Thumb Routine that DuVal used later in career as a second act.

I found the paper to be very thin and the printing from the opposite page to show through the page currently being read. The 'font' chosen was not the best choice as the lines were very thin and disturbed me as I was reading the text. It could have been the printer using less ink as well.

The pictures are all excellently printed in 'gray scale' and adds to the quality of the book. The Magic Inc. publication's pictures are very poorly reproduced in their small book offering. As the author states, he was able to obtain the original photos taken and use them, a big plus for the book. You can tell the book was composed on a Computer as the the spell check worked but the typing was poor, hitting the 'e' key instead of the 'd' key as an example, caused the wrong word to be inserted. The word was correctly spelled, but the wrong word was in the sentence. This is throughout the book, not a big thing but kills the flow of reading.

Besides the 'Smoking a Thumb' routine I ordered the book as I had taken it also contained information on the 'DuVal Silk Blow', I only found an old reproduction of the advertisement and 2 references given as to other sources that it may be found.

This I did not expect and decreased the value of the book as incomplete. I dislike when you pay for a magic book of anykind and all you get are references to other books for the details. There is actually no good reason to leave this important information out of the book, as all copyright laws are well past, if there were any filed in the 1st place. Tannen's don't even make the trick any longer to my knowledge.

As I figured, so I am not to disappointed, the 'Smoking' gimmick is a best guess by the auther. It was not sited that any investigation of the gimmick was researched, except to ask a well known magician.

On occasion, I watch the History channel on television and they have a series of hunters of people from long ago days. These Genieoglist track down family, what seems very easily and usually come up with a good solution. No attempt of this nature was taken by the author to find family and attempt to find out more of the gimmick.

I was not stated in the book, if DeVal had any children, so maybe this was not possible, but and note of the attempt would have been interesting to read about the hunt as well. Everyone likes a good mystery, as it is, it is still a mystery.

The book is well worth the asking price, and should be on anyone shelf that wants to perform on stage or in front of people. The store line is good as you see the rise and fall of a magician that took full advantage of the prospering times of the period. Buy this before you miss out as only 500 of each was printed. Mine is numbered 101 and autographed by the author. That means there are only 399 left of the soft bound version. Hurry!!

(Note: I have Owen Magic Catalog Number 7, 9, and 12. In # 9, they credit "Amrein" as the creator of the 'Smoking a Thumb' gimmick they use to sell. This was DuVal's real last name.)

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 10:08am
Being this thread is about 'Smoking a Thumb', I thought I would comment on the gimmick and routine a bit more.

The routine in the Ade Duval book suggest the gimmick is in the pocket. I do not see how this could be true, as the cigarette would go out, and to days mandatory requirement by the United States Government, requires all cigarette paper to extinguish if not puffed on in a reasonable time.

Even with the old cigarette paper, having the lit gimmick in the pocket without enough oxygen, would cause the cigarette to extinguish. No method was given or even mentioned as to when the gimmick was lit.

I purchased years ago an Owen Smoking a Thumb gimmick, after seeing Fred Kaps performance on television. With the set is 2 gimmicks and a holder to be pinned to the clothing. This also has asbestos type material (I assume) to protect the clothing from the heat.

The 2 gimmicks are a little different from each other, one has a bell shaped opening on the end and the other does not have this feature. In the instructions, it is said the bell shaped gimmick is used to facilitate manipulation of the gimmick from hand to hand.

The wood turned gimmicks get very hot and cannot be handled, I have tried many methods and always wind up with a burn or give up before being burned.

I find it interesting that there is a lot of speculation on the lighting and design of the gimmick, but no one knows for sure. It is truly a mystery how Duval and Kaps kept their method totally secret from anyone surrounding them.

One of the most important parts to the effect is not known by anyone, anywhere. A mystery to be solved, I think.

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 10:38pm
Was Ade Duval Right or Left handed? I seems from reading the book he was Left handed.
Duval "smoked" his right thumb. He kept the "invisible tobacco" in his left pocket. The routine and handling is in my book, which was taken from the video of his performance.
This is exactly what leads me to believe he was left handed, as well as the clip someone posted of his silk production from his Phantom Tubes.
Does anyone know of any gimmicks for this that don't involve tobacco because those of us who quit smoking don't want to endanger our quitting by getting a taste of tobacco again...?

I'm not sure if Pucks uses tobacco, but its beyond my price range.

Steven
Not unless you can find a way to use the new fake cigarette on the market that uses water vapor and a battery.
Has any working magician actually used and reviewed this product?
[quote]
On 2012-03-05 10:17, Nick W wrote:
Has any working magician actually used and reviewed this product?
[/quote]

What product, there are several mentioned in this forum?
My bad, I got confused with my post...I'm talking about "no smoking" from Puck.

Has anyone paid the cash for this and used it? Or is it sitting in a box somewhere waiting to be ebay'd?
[quote]
On 2012-03-05 13:47, Nick W wrote:
My bad, I got confused with my post......Im talking about "no smoking" from Puck.

has anyone paid the cash for this and used it? or is it sitting in a box some where waiting to be ebay'd?
[/quote]

Do a search in Latest and Greatest. I believe some say they have purchased it and use it, more as stop smoking trick than the classic Smoking a Thumb gag/trick.
I am interested in smoking thumb routine. I have seen the video of the performer of Puck's smoking thumb . I like it but I need an important info: can I use it in the middle of my act, I'd say after 4 or 5 minutes from the beginning, or the routine must be performed at the beginning of the act, when I enter, because the gimmick must be used immediately after preparation ? Again, must I use that silk in the cig box or can I load the gimmick in a different way? Can anyone help me?
If you check the Potter & Potter auction site, choose old auction catalogs and download the old auction catalog from the Mulica and Taylor auction, you will find some very interesting info on page 50 regarding the Fred Kaps smooking thumb.
[quote]
On 2012-11-11 14:50, Bo J wrote:
If you check the Potter & Potter auction site, choose old auction catalogs and download the old auction catalog from the Mulica and Taylor auction, you will find some very interesting info on page 50 regarding the Fred Kaps Smoking Thumb.
[/quote]

Thanks for your link, it is as I have always believed, Fred Kaps got his original gimmick from Owen's Magic. I would like to point out, that Owen's sold 2 gimmicks, that as pictured with Fred Kaps picture, and the bell shaped gimmick in the group photo. I have the Owen's set, that also comes with 2 gimmicks and a clip. The only time I saw Fred Kaps on television back in 1972 and 1973, it looked, due to his hand maneuvers, he was using the bell shaped gimmick at that time. Shortly after that television appearence, I ordered my set from Owen Magic.

------------------------------------------

For those that want to do smoke from mouth without using a tobacco product. Looking to the old Chinese trick of smoking cotton. The magician takes wads of cotton places it in his mouth and smoke comes from his mouth. I have a copy of a Chines magician doing this on VHS tape. Abbott's Magic sold a version with ribbons and an umbrella production years ago for only a short time.

No tobacco, but burning cotton instead, don't know it that is any healthier or not.
Why not just use an E-cigarette? The beauty to the Kaps routine as Pete says is the manipulation of the gimmick. If you use the the E-cig, you don't have to worry about when to use the trick in the act. If you watch really closely to the Kaps routine, it's all acting. Palming the E-cig won't be difficult. And if you put it on a real or holdout like the Invisible Hand, you can get rid of as well.

I don't want to go too much into the Kaps technique because this is not secret session. By watching Kaps do this again and again, you can appreciate what a great mime he was. He was just a *** genius. We all can learn a lot by watching his methods. Not to copy this trick, but how to create detail to make our magic better.
Mantova

You can use it at any time in your act.
It is based on an electronic cigarette but the gimmick is smaller than a normal e-cig.
The glass is super tough and comes in two parts and there is no external visible hook ups on the stem. It is clean.
You do not have to use the cig box if you don't want to.

-Scott