(Close Window)
Topic: Stainless steel swords for swallowing.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 12, 2009 12:19PM)
Ever since I started getting into blacksmithing I've been asked about making swords. Both from friends who wanted a big chopping sword to all of you guys who want a nice blunt one for swallowing. Well, the time has come and here's the back story;

Dan Meyer contacted me at the beginning of the year as he was requesting a 10 sword stack for me to make. I tried to tell him I'm not ready for swords yet, but he was pretty persistent. Making swords is one of those (many) things I procrastinated about, so it was time to get off my biblical donkey and just do it. I bought a plate of stainless steel only to realize that it was too thick for 10 swords to fit, so I had to buy another sheet of steel only thinner. Problem was that the sheet offered was twice the size of the original plate. After having all the material from both pieces cut at a waterjet facility, I now have over 50 sword blanks!

[img]http://greatnippulini.com/swordblanks.jpg[/img]
These ten are for Dan.

[img]http://greatnippulini.com/swordblank1.jpg[/img]
My hand in the shot for perspective reference, this one is partially finished blank (round tip, smoothing edges, etc.)

The dimension of the blanks are 24-1/2" long, 3/4" to a long taper down to 1/2" width. Thick ones are 0.10" 316L stainless, thinner ones are all 0.075" 304 stainless. The "L" means low carbon, since the thinner ones can bend easier, I use tougher stainless. 304 is used in commercial kitchens and food grade tankers, so it is good to be in your esophagus. Handles will be either TIG welded or brazed with special stainless flux and filler. This is just the beginning of the sword making process. I am ready to take orders, requests will be filled in the order that they are received. PM's are cool, but I prefer e-mail request to Nippulini(at)aol.com

Questions? Suggestions?

Thank you,
TGN
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 12, 2009 02:40PM)
Nipps...I know you hold yourself and your Craftsmanship to a Higher Standard...So, Yes, I would be interested in one...However, since I don't swallow Swords...Do you know if "Papercranemagic" has a "How-To-Video"????.....
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 12, 2009 05:24PM)
I'll tell ya the same thing I tell people when they ask me blockhead method. You should seek professional help.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 13, 2009 01:12AM)
Nips...By God..Your not the first one that told me to seek "Professional Help"...and probaly not the last...P.S. Have you been talkin to my Girlfriend???
I have place my order. So happy TGN is finally offering swords.
Oh, I like your floors.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jun 13, 2009 12:12PM)
HAHAHA Curator!

You rock.

I'll be ordering when I get back from Sin City :) eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (that means eeeeeeeeeee! ...I'm EXCITED!!!)

Your floors ARE awesome. Rustic sexy.

;p
A
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 13, 2009 07:41PM)
Yeah, I'm not much of a carpet man really.

Those floorboards are about 250 years old.
I love carpet. Are we talking about floors? Right, just saw the word floorboard. Please disregard my statement for being off topic.
[quote]
On 2009-06-13 20:41, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Yeah, I'm not much of a carpet man really.
[/quote]

Me neither, but there are a lot of hippies in Venice... :-/
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jun 14, 2009 10:14AM)
*spews coffee on laptop*

Brett, you gotta go for the ones with shaved armpits...it gives you a better idea of what to expect ;)

*shudder* hippie hair.........
Carpeted armpits? Does one need a rug-shampooer to get them clean?
[quote]
On 2009-06-14 11:14, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
*spews coffee on laptop*

Brett, you gotta go for the ones with shaved armpits...it gives you a better idea of what to expect ;)

*shudder* hippie hair.........
[/quote]

I did... Haa, I still got a surprise though...
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jun 14, 2009 04:10PM)
Well then, that's just false advertising!

You have my sympathies...
:) Thanks.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 15, 2009 08:49AM)
Okay, what does any of this have to do with the world's best swords for swallowing?
Besides the fact that the carpet/floor thing was an intentional double entendre?
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jun 15, 2009 05:47PM)
Hehehe

Nothing...it looks like I started with the sexy, you added the carpet entendre, Rotton made it unmistakably sexual, Brett piped in about hippie hair, Harley tried to clean it up, and Brett n' I closed it off with the dirty.

You brought it back home. :)

SOOOOOOO......

Order NOW! Nipps Swords! 'The World's Best for Swallowing'!!!!!

Better? ;)
A
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 15, 2009 10:55PM)
As you all know I joined this site for quality Information....So I'm with TgN...So since NO one could point to a Sword-Swallowing How-To Video...I found one myself..(Thanks for nothin)...Here it is...

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/48360_magic-clown-swords.htm

TgN...Can you Hook me up???????....
Haahaa, I love Aye Jaye.
Since Aye Jaye has been brought up...Now that I know him, he pops up all over the place.
He was in the audience for the world magic awards and I saw him earlier this week on the show "1000 Ways to Die" as a man who was put to death by lethal injection gone wrong. Then about a month ago I was doing a murder mystery and there was a magician in the audience who kept going on and on about his buddy Aye Jaye...Winds up he was a former Ronald back in the early 70's.
The man travels...
Gwyd
"Former" does him disservice. He's the original. He's AN original.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jun 16, 2009 09:10AM)
That belt buckle is swank! Thanks for the laugh, Curator :)
"Swank!" Ooo, have not heard THAT word, in a very long time. It fits!
No no no...
The fellow bragging about knowing Aye Jaye was a former Ronald in the 70's...That's how he knew Aye Jaye.
Sorry I was unclear!
G
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 16, 2009 05:35PM)
Aye Jaye is an amazing character. And yes, he is the original Ronald, the other guy was probably his understudy.

That was a joke.
Sorry to bump, I know TGN wont mind. Nipps, these look great, I am really interested in purchasing a few from you down the line, but do you still have those torches you had the last time I saw you. PM me, if you would.
Nipps,
If the big swords are as nice as the small one, I've got to get me one... Please PM (or EM) me details.

Steve
Are they flexible enough to do a sandwich (3) ?
That's specifically what they're designed to be used for. The best part is the stainless steel, harsh acids in the body can't do a thing to it. Plus, non-magnetic and no metallic taste. Yum!

Hey Martin, give me a call. You and Dan should stop by the house on day and I'll let you help make your own set!
Yo Nips!

Where's my price quote?
Sounds like a plan. I'll talk to Martin and we'll figure out a good day. I'll call you.
Thanks Nipps, we will be in touch.
Nipple,

The swords are nice. I would like to have a specialty "hilt".

Are you capable of fashioning a custom shaped "hilt"????

I would also like a quote for just plain old sword.
Hernan...I didn't know you were a MC member. Where do you
hang out on the Café? I haven't seen you posting in this
section. I just joined a few days ago and I'm still stumbling
around trying to find stuff and figure things out.
Herman, I can fashion pretty much anything from metal. These sword blanks are all I have right now, so a plain old sword is not in the works as yet, but thanks anyway!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 9, 2009 06:08PM)
TgN...I would be interested in a Elaborate Sword...Spare no time or expense!...Take your time, Uh, pull out all the stops....Now as you know I myself do not swallow swords...Yet I could use it for a Cerimonial purpose...I would like to take your laborously Hand-crafted work of Art to "The Gathering" (if they ever schedule it when I'm off) and, once again as I do not swallow swords, I still would like to place it in a Orifice.....On John St#3ng!!!!
I need something special to cut the cheese... One of these puppies should do...All bright and shiny too!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 14, 2009 05:51PM)
Jim, I have no problem selling you a sword, or any other object for that matter. Just as long as it doesn't get "lost in the mail" so you can get a second one for free.

Not that you would actually DO anything like that.... or advise one of your employees to do so.... just sayin'... stuff like that can happen ya know!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 14, 2009 06:24PM)
I would never do that....My Help..I don't know?...He went back to peddlin Clown-Noses....
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Aug 11, 2009 09:41AM)
The time has come now for all those TRULY interested in a stainless steel swallowing sword to step up and place your order. Dan Meyer's stack has been finished and will ship out soon.

Yes, I used the phrase "swallowing sword" and I will stand by it! The blade material is SO soft it will never hold an edge, so it is useless as a cutting tool. The softness of the metal also bends quite easily, so it can't be used as a striking tool either. The only use this sword has is for being crammed down the gullet of a willing performer... so for all those debates here about calling a sword one for swallowing only has been ended here!
Bringing this back for the one photo I took of Dan's swords.

[img]http://greatnippulini.com/danswords.jpg[/img]
Nice table cloth.
I'll let my wife know you approve.

Hey everyone, notice the one all the way to the right, I put blockhead nails in as the handguard.
Seriously though these look fantastic.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Oct 12, 2009 11:30AM)
Then this will look even MORE fantastic. The following is a step-by-step process of HOW I make these things.

http://greatnippulini.com/sword.html
YAY! It is my sword in those pictures! Looks fantastic.

As always,
Dylan
Thanks fo posting the link.
Is that your shop?
Looks great...nice flooring.

Could you explain the joining of the handle to the blade.

[quote]
On 2009-10-12 12:30, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Then this will look even MORE fantastic. The following is a step-by-step process of HOW I make these things.

[/quote]
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Oct 12, 2009 04:10PM)
That is my basement workshop of my house. The floor is actually decking out back. The blades and handles are put together with MIG welding, making it one solid piece.

Thanks!
Got my TGN torches today! Love them to death, cant wait to wick them and try them out. Thanks again, Nipps!
I got my sword a few days ago and I must say that it is beautiful. The price does not due this thing justice. Simply radiant. Just the right length and very smooth.

Nips does great work and is a pleasure to deal with. I am proud to have a Nippulini original sword.

As always,
Dylan
TGN, I can't order as many as I wanted but I still want one if available. Sorry I dropped the ball. I have been away allot lately.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jan 31, 2010 10:33AM)
Hey guys, bringing this back up for a sec.

I outsourced the polishing of the sword blanks about a month ago. I know some of you have been contacting me about ordering some. In the meantime I found a few leftover pieces and made a couple for Gwyd. Well, the steel is back in the shop and I am ready to start fabbing up custom swords within one week turnaround rate.

Rotten, order as many as you want.