(Close Window)
Topic: New From Papercrane Digital Conviction
Here is our new thing with BSmmith http://www.papercranemagic.com/digitalconviction.htm
Looks Awesom. Really looking forward to this one!
Looks good!

I like! I like a lot!

Ben
Sounds good, looking forwaed to this one.
This looks great. I really like the idea of using a spectators cell phone. So is the completely impromptu? Is all you need is a cell phone and deck of cards? Let us know if you can Ted.
Impromptu and very easy. All you need is a deck of cards and a cell phone this is something you will do.
I want this yesterday, is it the 30th yet? Just teleport me one already;)

magicmike30
Looks awsome.

Does he teach that color change? Or was it eited in the video? Looked crazy.
Yes, every aspect of the routine is taught in detail.
If I use this as much as B. Smith's Universal Impression, it will be well worth it. Looks great!
[quote]
On 2009-06-28 17:41, Mario Orsini wrote:
If I use this as much as B. Smith's Universal Impression, it will be well worth it. Looks great!
[/quote]

Same here. Universal Impression was the probably the best purchase I made last year and is something I use every chance I get. I hope this is just as good.
Digital Conviction

Effect: Digital Conviction is an amazing effect that can be performed anywhere and anytime with all borrowed objects. Everything is completely ungimmicked and examinable and the spectator keeps a souvenir that will surely make you unforgettable.

Here is what happens in the effect. You approach the spectator and remove a joker or any card out of the deck. "We will use this as the wild card but we'll get back to that in a moment. Please will you select any card?" The spectator has a free choice of any card, nothing is forced. The selected card then gets lost in the deck. "Let’s get back to the Joker." You remove the joker and place their initials on the corner of the joker. "Remember the joker is the wild card. Let’s make this moment more memorable and take a picture." You now borrow their camera phone and take a picture of the joker with their initials. The spectator confirms that the picture on the camera phone is the initialed joker. The phone is immediately handed to the spectator and placed face down in their hand. "If I take the joker that we just took a picture of and give it a shake you can see that it changes to your selected card". With a closer examination the spectator sees that her initials are now on the selected card. Now you go in for the kill. "If that card changed in my hand then the picture in your hand should have changed too…" BIG reaction as the spectator just realized that they saw you take a picture of a joker with THEIR initials on it and it changed to their selected card with their initials on it.

This effect is huge and it's a worker.

Here are a few important points to remember:
• Uses no gimmicks
• Easy to do
• Freely chosen card
• Uses all borrowed objects
• Requires no setup
• Use any phone with a camera function
• Also as an added bonus you will receive an additional bonus effect using cards and a camera phone.

If you are looking for an effect where you don’t have to carry any extra material and an effect you will actually do, then Digital Conviction is for you.

Release Date 6/30/09

Review:

Well... Mobile phone magic has been getting more and more popular as mobile phones get more and more advanced. However, being able to find an effect that was half decent that could use a spectators borrowed phone has been somewhat of a pipedream. Robert Smith has just unblocked that pipe and now the creative juices are flowing!

Firstly, as with any good download, the production quality of this is brilliant. Different Camera angles, and even a willing “spectator” to help out. One thing I love about this particular download is that everything keeps pace. No interruptions with fancy titles. The titles are there as the video keeps playing. Everything is fantastically well taught and nothing has gone unnoticed in the filming and the production. You won’t miss a thing. Every sleight, move and action is well covered.

The effect itself is devilishly simple in method and yet incredibly clever. Now, I’m not going to lie in saying, I believe a couple of people may have issues with a particular aspect of the effect but there is absolutely no need to. Every, absolutely everything is this effect has been so incredibly thought out and every move is very well justified that everything slots together perfectly. It will take a little practise to get everything perfect and with each different phone you use, there will be different things to alter or change but with experience, everything will gradually get smoother and smoother.
Each phone used will be different, but of course they have this covered as well and take you through some funky tips and tricks for different phones. And lastly, Robert gives us a little tricky treat at the end of the DVD which could work well in conjunction with Conviction.

This effect is something I’ve been waiting for, for a very long time. A simple, hard hitting, impossible, multiple hitting, borrowed object, practical piece of magic. An effect I will defiantly be using when the opportunity knocks and I think paper crane and Robert smith and a huge winner on their hands. A fantastic effect and one I recommend every Street magician close up, table hopping or ever parlour magician should know. An all round stunner from PaperCraneProductions!

http://www.papercranemagic.com/digitalconviction.htm

Jamie Daws
I don't have a iPhone or Blackberry, but looks like this will work on most cell phones.
This will be good!
Cant wait till tomorrow!

Alex
Looks grat?

I'd like to know if there is any clean up you have to do with their phone after the effect?

-Aleksi
No clean up needs to be done with their phone.
It works with practically any phone. I have an iPhone and I have to say, it works beautifuly with it. Very hard hitting effect!
Digital Conviction is now available for sale at http://www.papercranemagic.com/digitalconviction.htm
Will this work on camera phones that make a shutter noise when taking a picture? As this will alert spectator I'm taking a picture when I shouldn't be..
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 00:36, Doug Lippert wrote:
Will this work on camera phones that make a shutter noise when taking a picture? As this will alert spectator I'm taking a picture when I shouldn't be..
[/quote]

Great question!
A shutter noise will not be a problem.
I'm very tempted to get this right now. But will wait for some reviews since I want to know how practical this is in real life.

"The phone is immediately handed to the spectator and placed face down in their hand."

If this statement is true with all camera phones, then this is a winner and I'll click the "buy" button instantly.

-Aleksi
The phone is handed stright to the spectator. No pressing funny buttons or doing anything odd. It's literally, Snap and hand to them. The shutter noise will help convince that you have taken a legitamet photo if anything. I have used the shutter noise on my iphone and it works brilliantly. There is absolutly no clean up of anykind. You can either leave them with their phone or send the photo from your phone to them. 100% practical and I can't fault it from my side. It takes a little time to practise but once it's done, you'll be changing photoes. Those wondering if it can be done with other things, I think this is just the begining with this concept.

Jamie
Question: Instead of using it as a transformation, could it be used as a two-way out? That is, you take a picture as your prediction, and then either surreptitiously change the photo or not, depending on the outcome?
Ok, I'm already out of money but this seems to be a must have. I really pray that this is as good as it seems to be..

Sending my money now.

-Aleksi
JUst got this, saw the download!

Very very usable effect.
Eric is right, it is something that you will use everywhere you go.

I havent performed it yet, but I have been practicing and its a very easy trick to get used to.

This one ou can even do impromptu all you need is a deck of cards and someones phone.

Love it

10 out of 10

Alex
Pretty good trick. pick this one up.
Everyone thank you so much. BSmith is really clever if he releases something buy it, this guy goes out and performs most nights of the week and perfects his work before he releases it. I am a huge fan of his work and his approach to mentalism is one of the best I have seen.
Hi Ted, I'm also very excited about this one ! Can we borrow any deck of cards (even a non UPS branded one) ?
This is good :) Any deck and any camera phone will work. With some phones the effect is stronger than with others and I personally prefer to use this with my own phone.

-Aleksi
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 05:34, alibali wrote:
Hi Ted, I'm also very excited about this one ! Can we borrow any deck of cards (even a non UPS branded one) ?
[/quote]

I'm not Ted but the answer is yes.

Though I initially planned to wait on numerous reviews, I took the plunge last night and bought the DVD and digital download and stayed up way past my bedtime watching it. I met bSmith once before and know he works on an effect a long time in bars/street for real people before he would ever think of releasing anything. You can tell a lot of thought was put into this and it wasn't rushed to the market.

Let me first say, if you practice you will be able to make it work EXACTLY like you saw in the demo. Meaning:
1. They freely select a card
2. You or they insert it into the middle of the deck.
3. You then pull out a joker (or any card for that matter) and write their initials on it.
4. Take a picture of the card with their initials on it with either your camera phone or theirs (they can even be in the picture as well)and they can watch you take the picture through the screen, then place their phone face down in their hand
5. The card visually changes to their selected card WITH THEIR INTIALS NOW ON IT.
6. You reveal the phone now has a picture of their selected card, intials and all.

Pro's
-What you see it what you get. The effect works just like they say in the demo and on the website.
-If can be done with a borrowed camera phone
-It could also be done with a borrowed deck (though I don't think that adds anything)
-The teaching goes further than just moves, b teaches the psychology, body language and key patter as well.
-There is no set up required
-If you have a camera phone, a deck of cards and a sharpie you're all set
- Alternate handlings are taught for different performance situations
- He covers some good "what ifs" to keep you out of trouble

Cons
-A beginner may have trouble with one of the sleights, but an intermediate card worker should have no issues and may even use an alternate sleight.
-Not a huge deal to me but crediting could have been a little better. While some names were credited during the performance, they were left off the end credits and he also wasn't sure whose move he was using at one point. Again, not a big deal to me but some others may get irritated.

Final Verdict-
bSmith has come up with a great effect that can be done at almost anytime. The best part is at the end of it you can leave them with something to show their friends and he even gives some ideas of how to leave them with your phone number. If you liked the demo, you won't be disappointed.
So can this really be done with ANY phone?

I have some other phone effects that said the same but I always ran into some problems with some phones.

I really want to get this, looks fantastic.
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 13:05, fridoliina89 wrote:
So can this really be done with ANY phone?

[/quote]

As long as it has a camera built in, I don't see any limitations.
Thanks Mario for this in-depth review ! :)
Is the color change explained on the video?
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 07:17, fridoliina89 wrote:
Is the color change explained on the video?
[/quote]

Yes
Just got this and I think its fantastic!

One of the things that I do that gets some of the best reactions ever is just a standard pick a card trick with some visual color change.

This takes this effect to a whole new level.
Just how difficult is the sleight.
There is nothing very difficoult in this routine. If you can do a simple card control and some basic sleights you will do just fine. The "key" sleight is also very easy. Just be careful with your angles.

-Aleksi
Thank you all for your kind words and support. Anyone who would like to purchase an autographed copy of Digital Conviction for $24.95 can paypal me at bobsmithpipe@yahoo.com.

FREE SHIPPING ALWAYS!! (US only.. rates apply outside US)
FIRST 10 PEOPLE WILL RECEIVE A FREE DVD COPY OF "WOUNDED"!!

Thank you all again for your support

Best,
bSmith
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 06:07, alibali wrote:
Thanks Mario for this in-depth review ! :)
[/quote]
Thanks to Mario! His review helps very much in my decision making process as to whether it is something I will use and have fun with. And the answer is No Doubt!
This really sounds like a gem.. Ima shower and decide if I should get the Download...
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 12:53, Quinn wrote:
Question: Instead of using it as a transformation, could it be used as a two-way out? That is, you take a picture as your prediction, and then either surreptitiously change the photo or not, depending on the outcome?
[/quote]

Great question. Yes. You can definitely adjust your presentation depending on the outcome. This is something that Ive had to do when developing this effect. You can either have the photo change or not have the photo change. The latter would leave them with an initialed joker on their phone and their selected card with the same initials in their hand. Both options can be sold to them as proof of an impossible moment.

bSmith
Thanks for the info, bSmith. :)
I have been performing this since I got it, and its killer.

Thanks Robert

Alex
Yeah this is great. It's really just as easy as it looks
Just wanted to let everyone know that this is now available at Murphy's so you should be able to get it from your favorite magic dealer.
Hi
Is this trick recommended for beginners??
How long would it take to get it down? As I'm a new to card tricks.

Thanks
It's not hard but I would recommend a solid foundation in books like Royal Road to Card Magic or some of the dover books before buying any 1 trick DVD's. If you can do simple sleights you can do this, everything I learned in my first 6 months in magic prepared me to do an effect like Digital Conviction.
Thanks. Ted French
I love this effect, it is just so *** cool

If anyone is interested here is a link to a video review I put together a couple of days ago.

Great stuff

Craig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl5uWVNTBNo
I guess this could really be called trick photography.. :) .. In fact, can that line be incorporated into the patter?...
Hi,

Before I purchase Digital Conviction.

I would like to know, is there any difference between the DVD and the download version

Thanks.
[quote]
On 2009-08-25 02:45, wa_ckys wrote:
Before I purchase Digital Conviction.

I would like to know, is there any difference between the DVD and the download version
[/quote]
only difference is if you prefer to own a physical copy.
Thanks Geoff
Hi,I've just received an e-mail from Justin Miller who has a new effect out called Smile,sounds very similar to this one,anyone have any views on it?
Cardbiker,
If you happen to have ordered the DC DVD directly from B. Smith he sent out an extra bonus (to hold you over till the DVD arrived).
The bonus was a MP4 file of JM's simplified variation of the Digital Conviction effect called "Smile".

I never could get the darn file to run (without constant starting /stopping) on my PC. But I understood the gist of the effect...pretty clever.

PM me if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
rochaz
Thanks Rochaz,appreciate that.
CB,
Not a problem!
Keep us posted on any other emails you may receive from JM....maybe he's changed up the effect and has something different to offer.

Take care,
rochaz
I gotta say, I was floored watching this one, really impressed me.

Quick question...

Will the first picture of the card be saved in there phone as well as the ending pic? Just asking as they will go in there phone and see 2 pics of 2 different cards and think you somehow got a pic of the second card when they weren't looking or something. If there left with only one of the pics it seems more magical, as if the original pic did indeed change to there card, I don't see them questioning it then.

Paul
SMILE has a lot going for it as a substitute for Digi Con.

But SMILE was not directly inspired by anything...just me out one day at a rest. performing for a waitress...thus SMILE was born.
After it was developed, myself and B. Smith, saw great similarities and pros and cons for each effect. They both have GREAT rewards to offer in their own context.
JM
Quick Q about this effect

are you losing a joker each time you perform the effect due to the intials, because if that is the case you can only 2 it 2 times per deck?

I'm sure it can be done with other cards as well but losing 2 cards per trick is sometimes the difference between a worker an non worker for me
^^^ Good luck on getting an answer
[quote]
On 2009-09-03 08:59, Piz wrote:
^^^ Good luck on getting an answer
[/quote]

well I'm not looking for a secret, just more working management, I only carry 1 deck while working as need my pocket space, I'd go thru a deck in no time at all if I ruin 2 cards each time
Piz,
There is only one picture on the phone at the end of the effect.
If your worried about losing a joker then use a different card than the joker.
[quote]
On 2009-09-03 10:14, ted french wrote:
If your worried about losing a joker then use a different card than the joker.
[/quote]

not worried about the joker, just wondered if I will lose 2 cards per performance
You don't have to just alter the routine so they don't sign the card. That's how I perform it, I don't like people writing on my cards.
It's in the Cool Box deal:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1986