(Close Window)
Topic: "Window" by David Stone
Hey guys. Jean-Luc Bertrand and David Stone (et al) sunk a ton of work into the effect, and we're proud to be joining forces with both of them for Window.

[url=http://www.ellusionist.com/window-by-david-stone.html]Window by David Stone[/url]

This is just a beautiful effect and Jean-Luc's perfection and quality of magic always goes beyond expectation along with David Stone at his finest, yet again. Great work guys.
Can't wait for the first reviews!
Wow! That change looks incredible! Cannot wait for reviews.
Looks Amazing. Will it be available in the UK?

Jamie
JaimeD. Yes, absolutely.
I will be posting a review on this effect shortly. :bwink:
David Stone was here at Murphy's visiting recently and demonstrated Window. Window looks fantastic. You have an unbelievable DVD in the typical high quality of Jean Luc Bertrand. Jean Luc creates some of the best DVDs on the market today. Window may be his finest DVD yet. You have an item created by the genius Mickael Chatelain. If you have seen any of Mickael's other creations such as Matrix, Mental Parano, Numberground, etc. you know how clever this will be. When I was with David Blaine in Blackpool, David met Mickael and raved about his creations. His card magic is something like Q from James Bond would create. Then to top it off you have David Stone teaching, performing, and adding his knowledge and experience into the mix. This is destined to be a winner.

This is the ideal ending to any card through window or as an incredible isolated change that looks like real magic.

Tim Trono
I am FLOORED!
Cant wait till tomorrow!

Alex
That.. is.. unbelievable!
It says on the website that it will be available tomorrow...guess who's staying up late tonight and ordering in the early early morning!
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Jun 29, 2009 07:16PM)
Any particular reason the back of the card went from red to blue when it "reversed" itself?
I was given a sneak peek at this preview a few days ago, and it's been really hard biting my tongue!

My first reaction when I saw this was, "If I created something that looks that good, I'd try to sell the exclusive to Copperfield/Blaine/Angel and I certainly wouldn't sell it, not for awhile!"

Really looking forward to this...

Kevin
Are there any limits on Windows \?
This looks incredible. Yet another great DVD with David Stone.
LOL, this looks great. I actually came up with this exact effect years ago, maybe a different method, but looks like something similar in one aspect of it.

However, it also looks like this is a bit better as far as being more complete.

I never fully developed mine to something I used regularly, but I did do it a few times.
WTF
Are you limited to doing this effect in only Bicycles?
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 22:33, Newb2 wrote:
Are you limited to doing this effect in only Bicycles?
[/quote]

Looks like you make your own gaff, so probably not.

Has it been released yet? It says sold out on the Ellusionist page.
Doug, there is a hand-made precision gimmick already included with the DVD hand made by David Stone and his legion of gaff minions. Okay, I'm lying about the gaff minions, but you do get the gaff / gimmick with Window.

Will be available in about an hour.
OK so with this gimmick, how much would you say set up is? Can it be done on any given night at any given bar if a window is provided and you are carrying your gimmick?
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 23:27, Jason :: Ellusionist wrote:
Doug, there is a hand-made precision gimmick already included with the DVD hand made by David Stone and his legion of gaff minions. Okay, I'm lying about the gaff minions, but you do get the gaff / gimmick with Window.

Will be available in about an hour.
[/quote]

Thank you for clarifying Jason. Also, can this be done horizontally on a glass table?
Ordered it...will post reviews when I get it.

Adam
OK well I would love to read a few reviews first.
Looks great guys!
Can the card behind the glass be examined by the spectator after removal from the glass?

Kam
That looks great...

(scratching head thinking about the method)
Cha-ching!
This looks really good. If it works like I'm thinking, you could set this up in front of the spectator while they are watching you.
I recieved the private message from Mr. Steve about this product, I like card through window effect, I hope it's better than KAOS.
To the creators. In the demos video I believe it is always a 9C and KH. Is the Gaffs such that only two cards can be used ie one performance per night. Can the Gaff be changed either quickly or at all? Thanks
I received the news this morning, found out ellusionist but also david stone is selling directly for europe via his website. http://www.realsecretsofmagic.com , not even my local magic shop knew it was out but I got mine at lunch break (from jean-luc, I'm in paris) did it 7mn after... it's just so easy and beautifull. my own jaw dropped.
I saw the sneak peak and I was impress with what I saw. Also, saw that the sneak peak had Subtitles which is what I want more than the trick itself, so can anyone tell me for sure if this DVD includes Subtitles?
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 21:17, paisa23 wrote:
Are there any limits on Windows \?
[/quote]

Yes, it doesn't work on a Mac.

Dave

PS: Sorry :P
This looks amazing...almost too good to be true...but that's David Stone's Magic. I always feel delight when I see him perform. I am waiting for a detailed review that answers all the questions posted so far.

-Jacob
Madkiki,

The DVD does include English subtitles (very few) but there is no narration in the teaching section.

That is one of my favorite thing about David and Jean-Luc. They have created this entire DVD free of speech. It is taught in crystal detail through physical motions, multiple angles and gestures.

Very international friendly. It's incredibly easy to get a solid understanding of setup, variations, routining, performance, angles, nuances, etc.
[quote]

Yes, it doesn't work on a Mac.

[/quote]
That's clever lol I am an I.T. major and when I perform this I might even use that joke, lol
Stone's site links to a second trailer that shows the complete effect:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zby1_6n4E3M]Click Here![/url]
I don't know if I want to know how this trick is done. :) It looked so amazing that I totally enjoyed being fooled by it.

IMO, this looks like the best card thru window effect I've ever seen. The card freakin' changes right behind the glass! Now, that is impressive.
Dan,

Thant's funny you say that. I didn't want to know either. Let's face it, it has been years since a magic effect has given us that special feeling. It was important to me to hold onto that as long as possible.
I do not get it, When do we see the card through window? I see a card on other side of glass changing but not a card through window. in the youtube clip he just points to the window and the camera shows it is there. In fact in the very beginning you see the card in the shot back out on the other side of the window.

So is this a CAMERA effect not a real world presentation?
I am getting tired of those effects that look great on video but really would not be practical in normal performing conditions.

Someone review this when you get the product.
It is not Card Thru Window.
Looks like a Card Change Trick.
I think the effect plays out like this:

One card is taped to the window, back facing the audience

Two cards are then chosen

The first card disappears and the "back card" changes into the first selection

The magician takes the second selection, covers the first selection on the window with his hand. The first selection on the other side of the window changes to the second selection and the second selection in the magician's hand becomes the first.

As far as I understand, it's a not a direct card through window, but pretty much a color change/transpo presented as a card through window. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 11:39, Powermagic wrote:
I do not get it, When do we see the card through window? I see a card on other side of glass changing but not a card through window. in the youtube clip he just points to the window and the camera shows it is there. In fact in the very beginning you see the card in the shot back out on the other side of the window.

So is this a CAMERA effect not a real world presentation?
I am getting tired of those effects that look great on video but really would not be practical in normal performing conditions.

Someone review this when you get the product.
[/quote]

Do you have have an idea of how Card through window was originally done?

A card behind a window, which was in view if you looked at it, but the window was never part of the scene until the reveal.

Even without this, you still have a card THROUGH window, as a card is chosen, and then found on the other side of a window, therefore, it went THROUGH the window.

THEN, you have a second card, which changes places with the first card, therefor it TOO went THROUGH the window.

So, you have actually TWO cards THROUGH a window.
Even if the card behind the window comes into play too early for some reason, I figure I will just use it as part of the effect. I would just say I have a prediction taped to the window over on the other side of the room so I cannot touch it. I would then cause it to go to the other side and if anyone doubted that, they surely would believe after the rest of window.

Adam
This looks amazing! David Stone has such magical charisma about his magical performance and style.

With regards to this effect - it does appear that a card is already taped to some sort of window. Then a magical transposition through the window occurs - BUT CAN THAT CARD BE HANDED OUT?
But more importantly, how much setup is required?
Looks to be as much set up at John Kennedy's version. I don't think the card can be handed out. You would need to use a switch.
On the Ellusionist podcast they say it takes five seconds to set-up, and that it can be done at any time of day. As for handing the card out, you can see how it would play out by watching the second of the trailers, which I linked above.
The entire routine is pretty much standard up to the ending. Setup is the same for both Kennedy's and Stone's. Stone's is considerably cheaper, a lot flashier, but I'm not quite sure that I would consider it to be a better version, John Kennedy's is a bit more direct and magical.
I actually am kind of surprised that there seems to be a need for a switch of the card from the window.

As I mentioned, I played with the exact same idea for an effect, possibly a similar method, possibly not, but the card left on the window was completely clean, out side of the tape.
Is anyone else jealous of how good looking this guy is? I'm straight, completely in love with my wife, but with that said,...come on! The man is a stud and it kills me. :) I'd kill for his physique and hair.

Those darn french guys.

(Off to try some jogging)
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 15:37, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Is anyone else jealous of how good looking this guy is? I'm straight, completely in love with my wife, but with that said,...come on! The man is a stud and it kills me. :) I'd kill for his physique and hair.

Those darn french guys.

[/quote]

LOL
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jun 30, 2009 03:22PM)
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 16:17, cmdash24 wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 15:37, Nathan Alexander wrote:

Those darn french guys.

[/quote]

LOL
[/quote]

Made me laugh too! :)
Why do some magicians feel the need to pick apart effects lol? This is really the hottest looking effect to date this year and people are already barking. You really have to think of the way you felt when you watched the demo for the first time. This is how it will look for the spectator and they will feel the same way you did when you first seen it,,, AMAZED. Remember buddies that your spectators will not have the option to keep watching the effect over and over again like we do with demos. Just buy it lol

Jeremy
I don't find a big issue with having to switch out the card before you hand it out for inspection, the trade off not ending clean is worth it for the very visual change. Same goes for John Kennedy's version (except you're a bit more restricted as to how you should clean up due to the nature of what you're cleaning up). On that note, Stone's is way easier to clean up and a lot less angle sensitive while cleaning up.
This looks great and I feel the same way...it's so cool I almost don't want to know how it's done to savor that feeling of being amazed!

With that said, I'm now gonna buy this baby...
Lot of questions are being ignored..and brushed off. That is bad business guys..I doubt Window is being released out of kindess. :)
Doug,

We are very busy helping customers during this time of the day. I'll be more than happy to invest the time in answering questions a soon as these fires are put out.

Thank you in advance for your understanding. Be back as soon as possible.
FYI - Jean-Luc and/or David Stone will be on the Ellusionist forums soon to directly answer questions. There is a dedicated Q&A thread in the General forum.
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 17:53, Doug Lippert wrote:
Lot of questions are being ignored..and brushed off. That is bad business guys..I doubt Window is being released out of kindess. :)
[/quote]

I'm going to give credit where credit is due on this one. After watching both trailers (particularly the second, which can be found on Stone's site and which I linked above), and listening to the podcast interview, I feel pretty knowledgeable about what I'm going to be getting (even if I don't know the specific mechanics of the gimmick itself) as well as the routine's strengths and limitations. I'm not quite sure what you want them to say that's not readily apparent from the demos or that's not discussed on the interview.
[quote]
[/quote]

Dude,

This thread is less than 24 hours old... Take a chill pill on the nasty attitude and business critique... This isn't their forum and not everyone sits by their computer to answer every little question from someone on The Magic Café... I'm not a fan of, or employee of Ellusionist, but I also think people need to get realistic! Give a guy 24 hours to respond to questions before you get all high and mighty!

Just my $.02
Still waiting for a review, but alas it was just released Monday. Can't wait to hear about the road tested results. Just guessing you may have to clean up the floor behind the window? I'd be disappointed to find a mag****c card barely taped to another normal card and a PK r**g or mag*** in the dominant hand. Just guessing, please don't beat me if I'm not even close. I'll try it, see if it looks the same and let you know.
Two things about this bother me:

1) If you are such an amazing magician that you can change a card through a window, why do you have to use tape to stick it there?? Looks a bit tacky.

Part of the reason card on ceiling is so amazing is people don't know HOW it is stuck up there.

2) Why is sleight of hand extraordinaire David Stone using the Hindu force?!?!
1) card on ceiling has a different premise. The base of the effect is not the card sticking to the window, its the color change. The window is there to make it more impossible. there is no point of having a card magically stuck to the other side of the window. Has no relevance to the color change/transpo effect at all.

2) why isn't he? is that really something that needs to be asked. It was his choice of force.
About the hindu force, Jordini - why not? It works for lay people.
Plus it's just a trailer for Window, not the amazing showcase of Stone's skills.
Wow, the quality of feedback for this effect is declining :P The effect however still looks quite good.
Wait, you have to switch the card out before handing it out? Come on people, if you didn't have to switch it, or use tape to hold it then it would be magic, and last time I checked there is no such thing, only the Ellusion of magic. This is by far the most visual card through window to date and we are worried about a clean up? Can it be signed will be the next question LOL
Can the card be signed?

LOL. I couldn't resist.

I've got a pretty good idea as to whats happening. I think I get it, and how the full routine would go.

It does look great and if its as practical as its said to be... I'll be happy!

V.
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 20:31, Jordini wrote:
T

2) Why is sleight of hand extraordinaire David Stone using the Hindu force?!?!
[/quote]

I like that they just shot the video using a pretty easy handling. We can all see that it's a force. I'm sure that it's easy to substitute a fancier one.
I agree bugjack, I like demos that show an effect from start to finish. I also think that once reviews come in people will get it. Stone would not back an effect that was garbage. And the creator is a great thinker and artist! Oh an Jean is a wicked producer ( sorry for using the word wicked, but it fits his style)
Maybe David Stone should have pulled a Richard Sanders' Identity and just showed MUCH LESS of the effect in the demo video and then there would not be anything for us Magi to pick apart and complain about, before we even buy the durn thing! :) LOL
Nah... Then there would be complaining about to much editing.

Two quarters, fifty cents. Same thing.

V.
My bad if I have missed it, in the demo trailer, I do not think I saw any card 'penetration' through the window. Am I wrong on this?
I think its more of a transposition.

At least that's what I would call it.

V.
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 20:28, johnsanders wrote:
Still waiting for a review, but alas it was just released Monday. Can't wait to hear about the road tested results. Just guessing you may have to clean up the floor behind the window? I'd be disappointed to find a mag****c card barely taped to another normal card and a PK r**g or mag*** in the dominant hand. Just guessing, please don't beat me if I'm not even close. I'll try it, see if it looks the same and let you know.
[/quote]

And what would be wrong with that? Why would you be disappointed if that was what got the job done, and it sounds like that would get the job done pretty clean, especially if you did it on a window in a wall, where the spec could not go around right away.
Wait, there was a podcast? Where was that?
It's on the Ellusionist blog. A half hour with Stone and Jean talking about their various work together and then this effect.
Transpo then card through window. Actually the second phase would be a double card through window. The one in your hand going through the glass from your side to the other, and the other card coming through the other side to your side. Hope I didn't confuse anyone lol
So maybe we should call it a "Transposition through window".

I don't know. I'm not exactly sure how the handling works for the first phase yet. But it seems from the double one-handed fans and the wave your giving the impression that the face down card on the performers side of the window goes through the window and turns face up on the other side. How practical that phase will be remains to be seen. I think the second phase is more the main effect. With a different set-up.

But that's all speculation as I nor anyone else has this yet.

V.
Perhaps, that's why it's called "WINDOW" and not Card Through Window.

-Ron
The podcast with David and Jean-Luc over at the E blog is well worth a listen. It's great to hear them talk about the effect, and they're incredibly funny.
Joe Hadsall with Ellusionist, here. To address some of the concerns and questions I've read:

~ A Hindu force is used in the trailer because it works well for the basic effect. However, after learning the mechanics of the effect, you'll find that a dizzying array of forces can be used. It's up to you.
~ The blue back seen in the trailer won't make much of a difference in your performance. Those of you who swear by Bees, Aviators, Tally-Hos or even certain decks of Wynn casino playing cards will be able to perform Window.
~ The setup does not take very long at all. About five seconds is all you'll need. It is similar to other card-through-window effects.
~ The only reason a card would be on the floor after this is if you deliberately put it there.
~ That piece of tape is actually a great convincer. People are not meant to be mystified by a floating card on the other side of the window. The transpo is what packs the punch. You'll see in the video.

I hope that helps. That's about as in-depth as I want to get, out of respect for the creators, so my apologies if your question didn't get answered. As mentioned above, there are two podcasts, plenty of written words and several trailers detailing the effect. Also, Jean-Luc Bertrand and David Stone will be checking in and answering questions [url=http://forums.ellusionist.com/showthread.php?t=85426]in this thread[/url] on the Ellusionist forums.
Wow, who needs an exposure site when you got the Café? :[
What was exposed? There is a force used? That seems like common knowledge. Let me know if I am missing something else.
I haven't bought the trick as yet but knowing David, it has to be simple and practical. The strength of the effect is visible on the trailer.

My only fear is that it's going to be so good that, for a while, it's going to be performed (sometimes poorly) by too many of us. Now I know that the cups and balls have been performed for ages and still fascinate lay people.

It's just that, like every one of us, I would have loved to be the only one to benefit from Window. But since I didn't invent it mself... I'll have to leave with the fact that it is amazing and work out an effect and a patter that does justice to this fabulous effect. It will replace my John Kennedy version that was already great but apparently heavier to set up and doesn't act as a card change.

I already have ideas to use it in slightly different ways than the ones on the trailer. Do you?

By the way, I love the scotch tape bit which makes it look casual: that is strong misdirection.
I'm not talking about the force , I'm taling about the hypothetical methods posted. anyway, If the powers that be feel it is acceptable then who am I to argue?
Is it exclusive to Ellusionist?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jul 1, 2009 07:19AM)
There seems to be quite a lot of people saying where it the card through window part...am I mistaken in thinking it is the card with back outwards that supposedly penetrates and turns face up?? That would then be the card through window...

The people watching can see there is a card stuck to the window...and it is on their side of it...the cards are chosen...two handed fan is made, passed over the cards, and the card passes through the window and turns face towards them...(CTW)...then the card changes into the second card (change behind glass)...which is the two selling points to this effect...the card goes through the window, then changes...

Apologies if I am mistaken in what I see as the effect happening
I wonder if you can use the gimmick for a colour change off the deck with your palms off the deck?
Will we be able to make our own gimmick when it breaks?
James
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 08:19, Christopher Williams wrote:
There seems to be quite a lot of people saying where it the card through window part...am I mistaken in thinking it is the card with back outwards that supposedly penetrates and turns face up?? That would then be the card through window...

The people watching can see there is a card stuck to the window...and it is on their side of it...the cards are chosen...two handed fan is made, passed over the cards, and the card passes through the window and turns face towards them...(CTW)...then the card changes into the second card (change behind glass)...which is the two selling points to this effect...the card goes through the window, then changes...

[/quote]

that's what I thought too!

or is the card on the other side from the beginning?
hope someone can clear that up
Ok I just got done jogging and I still don't look like David.

(At least I've got him beat somewhere - that guy probably has shoddy misdirection skills because he's never needed to use them.)
I'd so order this if ellusionist took paypal.
You can order it from David Stone web site directly, and he takes paypal !
[url=http://213.198.116.212/shop/index.html]Click Here![/url]
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 08:19, Christopher Williams wrote:

[/quote]

I think that there are two definite phases to the routine. The first effect in the routine in which the card penetrates through the glass from face down on the performers side, to face up on the other side, I believe will be the "Optional" first phase. The first phase will require a set-up that you have to do ahead of time. Or some "help"?

The second phase in which the card transposition occurs, I believe will be the "5 second setup" main effect of the routine. In this phase, a prediction will be made and PLACED OPENLY on the other side of a window with a standard line like "So you know I can't change my mind I'll place the card over here so you can see it blah, blah, blah" at which time the "Special thing" will be placed on the window opposite the performer and spectators. Then the routine will carry out as seen with the selection of two cards and the transpo.

This is just what I BELIEVE happens. Its just speculation and guesswork. But naturally I think I am close.

V.
The effect looks great. Wish I have thought of it..
I received Window today. WOW! Every aspect is wonderful from the DVD to the gimmicks - top quality product in every way. I imagine this will be like True Astonishments in that people will be reluctant to plop down $70 for a card trick but I think once word starts getting around it will become something everyone wants. If you saw David do this live you'd buy it instantly. After having seen the actual product I can give it my highest recommendations.

Tim
Well if Tim's recommending it, I'm sure I'll be happy with it as well.

V.
I think I know what I'm buying pretty soon..
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 18:53, michaangelo wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Dude,

This thread is less than 24 hours old... Take a chill pill on the nasty attitude and business critique... This isn't their forum and not everyone sits by their computer to answer every little question from someone on The Magic Café... I'm not a fan of, or employee of Ellusionist, but I also think people need to get realistic! Give a guy 24 hours to respond to questions before you get all high and mighty!

Just my $.02
[/quote]

Relax, if you don't like what someone says it's best to ignore it and move on. I've learned that posting comments like that doesn't make you many friends on the forum. :)
------------------------

Can "Window" be done horizontally on a glass table?
It's hard to believe how idiotic people are on youtube.
Comments like "Not very magical." just crack me up.

This routine is so magical. David Stone is a fantastic artist.
James
It requires a great artist to pull of a great trick.
If you are a mediocre then the result almost gets to the level of true mediocrity, sure.
5 more days and this should be in my mailbox!!! It's like waiting for Christmas.
John Kennedy's is still more magical though, and more direct ;) It also costs at least 3 times more, ha ha ha. I like Window though, very visual.
IG you should not be surprised at all.
I will give you the answer.
Yes while some pick apart since most magicians are cheap and just want the secrets and never intend to perform.
MOST just want to know if if it is exactly as they read and what they see.

SORRY my friend, I guess you have not been burnt by these new video clips that sell a DVD of an effect and when you get it, the effect still is not practical.
That is, they used camera angles and clips to make the effect look 10x better than it was or more practical than it is.

IT used to be we would read magic catalogs and drool over the descriptions only to be disappointed that the "Revolutionary new system" was a rubber band.

One would think the introduction of video would have eliminated disappointment but the reality is, these are pitch videos.

In the last few years I have been burnt by quite a few of these DVDs. While the tricks can work, they are less likely to work in real world settings.

This is why magicians, who now have an open world wide forum, ask allot of questions.

I think most magicians should learn HOW to ask questions without trying to get the actual method.
Asking about angles, clothing requirements, and if the effect matches the video without alteration, all are valid. Look it is a business. They are trying to get your money. Nothing wrong with that. BUT if it does not look the same as when they demo it live, then maybe they are thinking more about their pocket than yours.
There are allot of young guys out there now putting single trick, looks great on video DVDs with very little real world testing. They are just banging these things out to make a quick buck.

So yes I say some should not ask just because they want to know. But I think you now should be able to see that the questions from some are only stemming from the fact is that edited video is just as misleading as that old time catalog copy.

[quote]
On 2009-06-30 16:40, Irishghost wrote:
Why do some magicians feel the need to pick apart effects lol? This is really the hottest looking effect to date this year and people are already barking. You really have to think of the way you felt when you watched the demo for the first time. This is how it will look for the spectator and they will feel the same way you did when you first seen it,,, AMAZED. Remember buddies that your spectators will not have the option to keep watching the effect over and over again like we do with demos. Just buy it lol

Jeremy
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 09:05, Xiqual wrote:
Will we be able to make our own gimmick when it breaks?
James
[/quote]

I'm curious about this myself,$70.00 is pretty steep for a gimmicked card(and the routine). I wonder about the durability of the gimmick & the expected lifespan?

It looks great!
Mike
Very true - how many times have we been burned by misleading advertisements. Rave, positive reviews that don't address limitations can lead to a disappointed purchases too.

It's too bad there's no way to review a magical effect completely and thoroughly, including the method and gimmick - because that would reveal everything. It's the nature of magic - we are purchasing the secret. How many drawer fulls of junk lay around magician's home? Because once secret is told, the trick is sold.

So we make the best educated purchasing decision we can, from "reviews", from asking questions, from picking apart demo videos.

From watching the demos of Window and from past releases of David Stone, I surmise that Window would be a great buy. Although I'm known to make impulse buys, I will wait to read more reviews from users who have the product before taking the plunge.
The problem with these so called "reviews" on the Café is that most of the time our purchase decision really don't come frome reading these "reviews" (the majority of them lacks anything substantial to make them a good assessment of the product). Our decisions usually are swayed heavily by hype or negative opinions from folks who generally do not have the product.

Also, once a demo has been sufficiently picked apart, do you honestly believe that the majority of the people who now knows the secret workings of an effect is actually going to now go out and purchase it? Be reasonable here, they are not unless they realize that it's not something that they can easily make themselves. This is one of the reasons that so many excellent effects gets passed up on because people realize that the method is simple and thus the method does not appeal to them. In the end they totally ignore what really is important, which is how is the effect for our audiences?
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 14:13, kissdadookie wrote:
In the end they totally ignore what really is important, which is how is the effect for our audiences?
[/quote]

I'm going to guess and say that a lot of "magicians" only perform for themselves in front of their bedroom/bathroom mirror. (nothing wrong with that I might add) So, a cool method is the MAIN detail that appeals to this group. Not audience reaction in the real world.

The problem develops when guys look for exposure of methods and only buy those methods they like or like you said; they can't gaff themselves..

The right thing to do would be to wait for reviews and honest opinions before purchasing a magic effect. That way there's an informed decision instead of CUPS.

-------------------

In regards to Window, can it be done on a glass coffee/dining table?
I don't think you can do it on a glass table. It won't work if you stick the card to the underside of the table like that.
This looks really cool....i may have to get it just to figure it out
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 15:15, booswain wrote:
This looks really cool....i may have to get it just to figure it out
[/quote]

No offense is intended towards you booswain.

But, there's a concrete example of why professional magic effects are so overpriced..to keep out the merely curious!

-----------------

Thanks for answering my question kissdadookie.
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 14:48, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 14:13, kissdadookie wrote:
In the end they totally ignore what really is important, which is how is the effect for our audiences?
[/quote]

The right thing to do would be to wait for reviews and honest opinions before purchasing a magic effect. That way there's an informed decision instead of CUPS.

[/quote]

But the thing is, If everyone waited for a review, there would be no one to give a review. :)

V
LoL. I think the old way of buying something if it interests you and hope for the best was still the best way ;) Remember those days? They were so great and each time one buys a effect, it was either a good surprise or a bad surprise. One would soon learn how to intuitively figure out, with good success, what were to be good purchases and what were to be bad purchases (the days when people picked apart the written ad-copies).
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 20:41, Mercury52 wrote:

..My first reaction when I saw this was, "If I created something that looks that good, I'd try to sell the exclusive to Copperfield/Blaine/Angel and I certainly wouldn't sell it, not for awhile!"

[/quote]

Kevin, when I saw the demo on the Ellusionist site, I thought the same. It looks so magical.
REVIEW: WINDOW by DAVID STONE/JEAN LUC BERTRAND/MICHAEL CHATELAIN

UPS delivered this today to my friends house, mine is on the way and should be here on Monday.

Contents:
DVD
Gimmick necessary for WINDOW to work.
Extra little something that goes with gimmick.

OK so the DVD is not long, it is around 15 min of instruction.

Basically goes over the basic effect that you all saw on the demo.

Gimmick is a thing of beauty, and is very well crafted.
Bravo to everyone that put this gimmick together.

This is by far the easiest card thru window/transposition effect beating out
Ultimate CTW, KAOS, MEETING POINT, and others.

My favorite CTW before this was DAve Forrests CTW, but now it is WINDOW.

DAve Forrest gets #2.

This can be ripped open practiced, and be performed the same afternoon.
Very easy to handle and do.

I will be using this, just need to get it down 100%.

10/10.

Love it.

Alex
Hey all,

First let me say that this is my first post here, though I've been a member since 2005 and have been reading you guys for quite a while. I wanted to address that since someone is bound to notice that my first post is a product review sold by a site on which I'm a moderator (E). For those that don't know me - I'm 40 and have been performing a variety of magic off and on for over 20 yrs. I'm no kid and am not easily distracted by shiny objects. I just wanted to post my first impressions here since there's so much talk about this and because I really was excited about this effect and am so impressed that it lived up not only to the hype, but to my expectations.

I think that for the price of some of the CTW that have come before - this is fairly priced. It blows them away in performability, convenience and visualness. The gimmick is well made and could be made yourself if you needed a replacement assuming you have some understanding of creating card gimmicks. You never need an assistant, stooge or confederate.

You CAN do this and it WILL look exactly as it does in the trailer we've all seen. It's ingenious really. No diabolical is more like it. I'm still giggling like an idiot after watching it for the first time.
Some highlights:

The DVD
Dvd is well done, though a bit short in running time. Everything is covered well though and nothing is left out. All the variations are taught through the silent teaching method we're all growing more familiar with (De'vo, Liwag, et al). Everything is plain and easy to understand with multiple views and angles. Even when you see what happens in the exposed view - you're still not sure what you just saw at first. You just laugh at how cool it looks.

Any Window?
As far as I can tell, yes. You do need access to the other side of the window to get it there, but other than that, no real restrictions I can see..... so no non-opening 100th floor high-rise performances... though with some thought (and window cleaner's rigging), maybe.

Difficulty?
I'd say easy. You do need some basic slights and minimal misdirection skills, but it's well within the reach of most. 90some percent of you will already know all the sleights you need. He does go ever them briefly, but because they're basic, doesn't go in depth here.

Gimmick/Props/Setup
Well made gimmick is provided. Very easy to carry. Can be with you whenever you think you might want to perform it. Part is easy to lose, but also easy to replace locally if you do. No biggie.
As far as set-up - none really. Just get the card on the far side of the window as stated in the podcast with David and Jean-luc. Props are just dependent on which version you decide to do. Window cleaner, silk, etc. My favorite is just waving a fan of cards in front of the window and having that card change. Incredibly clean and magical. The bare hand version is great too.

Overall, after my first viewing, I'm incredibly impressed with this effect. There is much room left for creativity and your own variations in performance. Easily worth the investment and lives up to what you saw in the trailer. I cant wait to perform this! If you liked what you saw in the trailer, you will not be disappointed with the DVD.

Great job David, Jean-luc and Mickael!

Now I'm off to watch it again and play with it.
If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer but may not be able to answer all for obvious reasons.
Good luck,

Dave
I agree with David.

This does live up to its hype, and is well within grasp of any performer.

Alex
Sounds great guys!

Can't wait to get it!

Thanks for the reviews.

Yes... even from the E mod. LOL :rotf:

V.
What is the clean up once the card has been changed,I would imagine the performer must remove the card?

Is there a danger if an over zealous spectator runs around to the other side to check the card?

As asked before, can you make replacement gimmicks when it wears out?

Thanks,
Mike
First review is here and it's looking good for us Card Through Window fans:

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=319771&forum=111&5]Click Here![/url]
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 17:52, Michael Peterson wrote:
What is the clean up once the card has been changed,I would imagine the performer must remove the card?

Is there a danger if an over zealous spectator runs around to the other side to check the card?

Thanks,
Mike
[/quote]

Watch the second demo I linked to earlier on the "Latest and Greatest" thread. You'll see the clean-up. And yeah, I assume someone can't run to the other side of the window and rip the card down before or even after you do the trick. C'mon, we know a card gimmick is involved.
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 18:04, bugjack wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 17:52, Michael Peterson wrote:

Thanks,
Mike
[/quote]

Watch the second demo I linked to earlier on the "Latest and Greatest" thread. You'll see the clean-up. And yeah, I assume someone can't run to the other side of the window and rip the card down before or even after you do the trick. C'mon, we know a card gimmick is involved.
[/quote]

Theres a gimmick? NO WAY!
Performer removes the card, but can easily hand out *the* card to the specs.... with the tape still on it.
I *think* the gimmick can be made - but probably not by someone without experience creating card gimmicks. Wait - did I say there was a gimmick?
Crap.

D
Thanks D, much appreciated!

Mike
The method is so obvious...

All the kids will be revealing this on Youtube in no time...
Sorry ritty but I have watched the demo a few times and I cant figure it out.
Well I still can't wait to get it and try it out.

The first layman that figures out how its done on me, and I'll work to have ritty pronounced king of all things magic. But I don't think the crown is in any danger.

Talk, talk, talk.....

V.
When you are about to do the big change on the other side of the glass, is that a single card hanging there or a double? I can see it working both ways, but the single card would be the better idea as there is nothing to cleanup really.
Well - hard to answer.
There's one card, but there's still an easy cleanup needed.
And no, there's no card on the floor or anything like that.

Dave
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 23:25, desmit6 wrote:
Well - hard to answer.
There's one card, but there's still an easy cleanup needed.
And no, there's no card on the floor or anything like that.

Dave
[/quote]

No that actually clears up a lot of questions I had. Thanks for that.
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 19:44, ritty360 wrote:

[/quote]

Obvious? no...Simple? yes. That's what makes it good.
This quote is similar to all the quotes on youtube. Sad and jealous.
David Stone's performances on the demo are fantastic. Artistic style at it's best.
James

[quote]
On 2009-07-02 19:44, ritty360 wrote:

[/quote]
Chill out guys.... I am kidding! I have no idea and it looks amazing.
LOL!!>>>>> I got the joke Ritty.... Its just that some jokes and sarcasm don't translate to the written word very well.

-J-
Placed my order.

This is such a wonderful idea and so practical and I'm sure the gimmick is made well enough to not be noticable.

Can't wait to get my hands on this and hope I can make more gimmicks myself, as I perform in local pubs a lot and would like other card selections possible and to replace gimmick if and when it gets worn out.

This is clever!
Steve
There is the danger that SCOTCH TAPE may rip the backing on the card and this card cost too much to risk that. I suggest going to Walmart and buying some of the purple masking tape used to place on wall paper when painting borders. This tape will hold the card to the glass, yet pull off without doing any damage to the back of the card.
Good one Magicbuilder

Don
Hey Guys.

Jean-luc Bertrand jumped in at E today. Thought I would bring you his post answering some questions...

"First of all.... MERCI !
Guys you made worth of those efforts.

David, Mickael and I knew we had something solid to work with, but after reading all you comments, and the passion that is circling around WiNDOW, make us feel so much better now.

It was a tough decision not to tease you with it and just launch out of the blue. But the great team working of Ellusionist, we decided to release WiNDOW as strong as trick, with a differnce, with a minimum impact.

So now we know the feeling we had was the right thing to follow.

Now, sorry I didn't get back to this Q&A sooner, but as you can imagine, a big release like that requires a lot of work, and Europe is going over this effect, so there was a lot to do, things to take care of to make people would be satisfied. Also I had a gig away from paris and that was a big mistake... Never accept a show two days after a big release...

So I'll try to answer a brief and efficient as possible, and if you have any question, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll be happy to help.

> Can this only be done with the same set of TWO cards....is it possible to
> change it up?

Actually we only use J/Q/K and 2/3/4/5 on the opposite, once you have the gimmick, you're stuck with it. But it doesn't really matter, does it ?

> Can the gimmick be made at home also once you know how it works (like if our
> gimmick breaks)....or is this one that will last forever. Or will there be
> refills?

Good luck... We have had 3 set of manufacturers, Mickael's work is so precise that you have to be the genius he is to understand. And even our teams struggled throught 200/300 gimmick each to find the right balance, the right details to make each gimmick a long lasting apparatus.
Of course they won't be set for life, it's just paper after all but they will last enough.

But like IT, it only breaks if you break it. So make sure to take good care of your gimmick, it will last even longer. Mine as been with me for the last 3 months.

Finally, David, Mickael and I are magicians, we have been like you buying stuff in the past. Like you we have been VERY unsatisfied with some products. The line of product we developped with my company CLOSE UP MAGIC, are aimed to satisfied the larger crowd. We want people to be happy and know they can trust our productions.

From STONE VOL1 to NO SMOKING we made the film or trick we would want to own. So we do our best for that purpose.

> How long will the gimmick last?
Read the longer paragraph before !

> Does this work on ANY window? (train, plane, bus, Airshuttle..)
Yes... Not on planes thought,
My favorite location is to do it behind closed shop window... Meaning, if I know I'll be in this aera with clients after my dinner, I'll go to the pharmacy next door (we have a lot of pharmacies in France) and I'll do my best to place the gimmick before they close... Go for dinner, have fun but don't do magic. On my way out, at some point I have them tell me "you're right, you haven't done any magic.... You can't possibly leave us with out a trick"... "alrigth choose a card..." I'll be doing the most regular effect until I find the right timing between boring them and tossing the deck in their back and when the turn around to the sound of the cards heating a window behind them, they see a card.
"wow, that's amazing, how did you do that... Too bad it's not my card, but it's still amazing" .... " what do you mean it's not your card ?"...
"Hang on..." I do the move, they freak in silence...
"oh here's my cab... By guys let's talk next week!" and I leave them on the pavement, in front of the pharmacy's window.

> Can this be done on a glass Coffee table?? (horizontal?)
No

> Can the spectator go around and remove the card? Is it safe?
No... But you need to control your crowd. It's like leaving a double on a table next to the spectator's hand. If you're confident enough they wouldn't dare touching it.

> Can I use a spectators hand to change the cards?
no

> Whats the square root of Pi?
If I knew I wouldn't be a professional magician...

> Can the card or cards be signed?
No

> Once you are done with the effect, can the card be left on the window?
no

> What kind of cards (card backs) can be used with this effect? Red/Blue. Is
> is limited to the gimmick?
It doesn't matter, you never see the back.

> Are the cards forced in anyway?
Are you sure ?

> Is the effect clean after the effect? HOW Clean??
Very... You hand them the card. But of course there's a switch.
You can see it at the end of this.

And here is one question no one asked but we are glad to answer.
A lot of people are sceptical regarding the use of camera editing of trickery...
Once again, we have been magicians buying in the past, and we still do.
There is nothing more than I HATE but being fooled by the film, the teaser and getting crap.

There is a constant pattern with all the products I made, I have always wanted to play ball. Basically if you like the trailer, you'll like the production. From the packaging to the disc, to the tricks, to the film or music... It's all absolutely coherent. It's one feeling, one tone, on atmosphere and we stick to it till the end. Wether you like it or not, we did 100% of what we could with each production, and trust me it's a long process. In other words, we never do shiny outside and dusty inside.

But with WiNDOW, it's different... It might be shiny outside but inside... all I can say is that what you see is what you'll do. That was our objective with David when we started developping WiNDOW, our goal was to make a cool video and to be as honest as possible because the effect mickael created deserved that. No need to over proove it does it by itself.

And the best part of all... You'll love doing it.
You'll fool yourself doing it because it's pure magic. From a magician stand point it's feel like magic is happening. I undestood that one night when we had a little dinner at home. Some magicians friends were there... We showed them the clip, they freaked out... They asked to see the gimmick.
They played like kids, and screamed like if it was christmas each time they waving their hand over the card.

At that time we understood WiNDOW would have those reactions.
Now we can't wait to see and read your reactions.

All the best to you guys,
Jean-luc Bertrand

One more thing... The music was composed like in every production we carry.
This guy is a genius, I've always placed a lot of importance into the music of our films... I met a genius four years ago. If you ever need something to done for your acts or you films...

http://www.REKSIDER.com"
This is one of the better dialogues I have seen regarding any effect. It certainly helps me make a decision (yes I want it), yet everything was covered in discussion here. It really was magicians helping magicians! Thanks
Just got mine today. Watched the DVD and must say the gimmick is GENIUS! It's quite simple, but practice is definitely needed as you can mess up. If you are in a completely dead silent place, sound may be an issue, but if you are anywhere in the real world or just talk, you should be fine. Extremely easy. Extremely visual. Extremely hard hitting. I think this was a great purchase!
Adam
Can the card be taped to the window before the effect starts why the spectators are watching?
Yes, but I am not sure why you would want to do that...
Well cause it is not clearly a card thru window, you can say you will place a prediction on the window but to ensure you cannot tamper with it you place it on the other side of window etc
You can also do it as a CTW. Have a prediction facing the window. Wave over it and it turns face up. But now it is on the other side and the wrong value. Wave again. BAM! that's how I am going to do it.
Adam
A way to present it as a card through window, with a clean window to start would be to have a card selected and openly walk behind the glass and stick it there and then try to push it through the glass as the spectator tries to catch it as it passes through.

Then after you fail(walk back to the other side) you could say you will make it even harder and have the other card selected as you proclaim you will not only push this card through, but make the other pass in the oposite direction at the same time and then do the change.

If you had two gimmicks, you could work it so you seem to push the second selection through the glass and the card on the other side and ahter a slight pause, remove the visible card that they think is behind the glass and you have a pretty sweet illusion of a visual penetration.

That is one way of selling it as a card through window without hiding it in plain sight so to speak, but I got it for the change alone.

Best,

Steve
Can the card be taped on more than the one side? That is, not just at the top, but on all four sides?
Brrrrrr...... I just ordered this
from Dave's EUR site although it will
cause trouble at home (the money spent),
but this is one of the best tricks
I've seen for a long time (from the demos).
Not a real Card guy but I think I can handle
the slights with a bit of practice from
watching the vids a few times. It sure does
speak to me and fits my style of Magic.
Will let you know more when it arrives
and have played with it a bit.
Wish me luck! :P

One of my open accounts finally
paid their bill so I figured
I could celebrate. :D Peace!
Well, mine already broke! *#&@#!
[quote]
On 2009-07-03 19:36, nickivory wrote:
[/quote]

Ouch. What happened?
[quote]
On 2009-07-03 19:36, nickivory wrote:
[/quote]

Man that's to bad. :(

Did something happen or is it just fragile?

V.
Mine seemed a little too fragile. I'm not trying to knock anyone here, but it seems to me that mine wasn't made all that well. I'm very competent and have many many years of professional experience handling gimmicks and playing cards, and I know for a fact it was nothing I did. It broke while behind the window. :(

Other than my misfortune I believe this effect to be very powerful in the right situation.
Well.....I took apart the gimmick and it will be a piece of cake to create another. If you ever created the TnR :: by Mathieu Bich gimmick, this one is much more simple to re-create.

I suppose mine breaking was a blessing in disguise because now I could create many versions of this great illusion.
Does anyone know how much replacement cards will cost and when they will be available seeing as the gimmick can be fragile? I'm not a member at the Ellusionist forums or I would ask there. Thanks!
Quick questions???

I own John Kennedy's CTW and for me it is not to practical (I like using it with DF CTW, but once again, it's a twice a year trick for me due to practicality), pretty much impossible to perform on a moments notice.

Windomation (My fav), and while I love it, it's just not Practical in all situations (have to have much control over spec's, if they go behind the window even after you pull the card off your screwed).

Dave Forrest CTW I like, but to me the monster tape strapped over the card used and the gimmick where a little to much for me when I actually got set to perform it (by itself), really no reason a magician should be covering anything during an effect, or have a monster gimmick strapped to the window for that matter (Screams something is going on IMO)

From someone who owns or at-least knows how these 3 work, how does this compare?

Can this be done on double-pane windows? Not a big deal if-not. I also do not mind having to pull the card off myself.

My problem is mainly practicality? My dream CTW would be little set-up (Around 10-20 sec would be nice), easy clean-up to where there's no mess or anything left behind (I actually like the idea of using tape instead of the other stuff with this one), and visual which this already has.

I'm a sucker for CTW as it's been one of my fav since Copperfield performed it on the train back in the 80's, I've been waiting for a CTW that's practical and that can be performed at a moments notice, this looks promising.

Thanks

Paul
Nickivory, you said your gimmick broke and it would be a "simple" task to remake the gimmick, which is contrary to what David Stone claims:

[quote]
On 2009-07-03 09:18, Seeker wrote:

> Can the gimmick be made at home also once you know how it works (like if our
> gimmick breaks)....or is this one that will last forever. Or will there be
> refills?

Good luck... We have had 3 set of manufacturers, Mickael's work is so precise that you have to be the genius he is to understand. And even our teams struggled throught 200/300 gimmick each to find the right balance, the right details to make each gimmick a long lasting apparatus.
Of course they won't be set for life, it's just paper after all but they will last enough.

But like IT, it only breaks if you break it. So make sure to take good care of your gimmick, it will last even longer. Mine as been with me for the last 3 months.

Finally, David, Mickael and I are magicians, we have been like you buying stuff in the past. Like you we have been VERY unsatisfied with some products. The line of product we developped with my company CLOSE UP MAGIC, are aimed to satisfied the larger crowd. We want people to be happy and know they can trust our productions.

http://www.REKSIDER.com"
[/quote]

Can you please elaborate, without revealing any secrets, why it takes David 3 manufacturers and 200-300 trial gimmicks to get one right, and you're able to do it rather easily?

Thanks.
I can make them but I run a gaff card business LOL
The answer is this......If you created this gimmick, would you want people to make their own or come back to you and pay $70 for a new one?

I'm not taking anything away from the creators and their years of research and development for this amazing illusion and gimmick. I was just forced to look into this gimmick's construction because of the unfortunate incident of my particular gimmick breaking. Upon further examination, I noticed that this gimmick is easy to construct, IN MY OPINION.
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 03:30, Piz wrote:

Can this be done on double-pane windows? Not a big deal if-not. I also do not mind having to pull the card off myself.

My problem is mainly practicality? My dream CTW would be little set-up (Around 10-20 sec would be nice), easy clean-up to where there's no mess or anything left behind (I actually like the idea of using tape instead of the other stuff with this one), and visual which this already has.

[/quote]

Hi Paul,

Yes, I think this fits your requirements.

Double pane works on the windows in my house, including the sliding patio door.
Setup is literally as long as it takes you to plant the card. Nothing else to do, set or prepare (*as far as the window goes)

You do remove the card yourself. I stated that a confederate is not needed, but this could be a job for one if you're so inclined to employ that tactic.

Everything you need can be carried so you're ready - even if your not positive you're going to perform it. It's convenient enough (for me anyway) to carry "just in case". [i](Though I have not yet performed this - I'm still working up my routine - I know the gimmick enough to have confidence in that statement.)[/i]

There's nothing to clean up on or around the window when the effect is done. Just remove the card.
Hope this helps,

Dave
Some spectator management is needed however, as if a spec gets right up in front of the gaff they may see something. After the change try and keep a little distance. I think I'm just going to make up something like, "I am working with glass here, so would you back up just a little in case something goes wrong?"
Adam
Well that didn't take long for my mail box to fill up LOL. Sorry but I will not be making replacement gimmicks out of respect for the creative team.

Jeremy
Well, that doesn't seem like a good long term business model for David. A specialized gimmick is required to perform this effect - but the longevity of the gimmick is questionable. Then claiming that it takes a "genius" to recreate the gimmick so customers are forced to go back to his company and repay for a replacement.

How much is a replacement anyway?
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 03:30, Piz wrote:
Quick questions???

you might want to check out D Garcia's Kaos - no muss, no fuss, any time, any where CTW
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 13:49, Irishghost wrote:
Well that didn't take long for my mail box to fill up LOL. Sorry but I will not be making replacement gimmicks out of respect for the creative team.

Jeremy
[/quote]

You're as classy as you are gifted!
Question to those that have it??

the tape you use to stick the card to the window, what do you use??

regular scotch tape
double sided tape
blue tack puddy

please advise. I don't want to tear the gimmick up if I use something incorrectly.

thanks

alex
[quote]you might want to check out D Garcia's Kaos - no muss, no fuss, any time, any where CTW
[/quote]

Learned this one years ago, not for me my friend :)

Honestly, I never seen Kaos as a legit CTW (although that is what the end result looks like), nice effect though when done correctly.

Alex,
Check out this suggestion from earlier in this thread;

Quote:
There is the danger that SCOTCH TAPE may rip the backing on the card and this card cost too much to risk that. I suggest going to Walmart and buying some of the purple masking tape used to place on wall paper when painting borders. This tape will hold the card to the glass, yet pull off without doing any damage to the back of the card.
Magicbuilder

I don't have the effect (but I soon will) :) and it sounds like a very good piece of advice. This is something that I'll have to consider once I get a look at the gimmick.
Perhaps others can chime in and give us their thoughts?

Hope this helps!

Respectfully,
Rochaz
I am using scotch 3m magic tape ( dull misty white in colour, sticky on one side)
Let's see here:

F**ce a card, "loose" the card in the deck, show an empty window, rap on it, spring the cards and have the WRONG card appear on the other side. LOL..good one magician-but aha!

By merely waving your hand over the card it magically changes to the correct card. (you can clean up by making it disappear).

So, someone that owns Window and S. Bogunia's Windomation, can the gimmicks be combined? I understand the Window gaff needs room to do its thing so it can't be completely applied to the window.

If they can be combined, well- :banana: :banana: :banana:
[quote]
On 2009-07-06 22:53, Doug Lippert wrote:
Let's see here:

F**ce a card, "loose" the card in the deck, show an empty window, rap on it, spring the cards and have the WRONG card appear on the other side. LOL..good one magician-but aha!

By merely waving your hand over the card it magically changes to the correct card. (you can clean up by making it disappear).

So, someone that owns Window and S. Bogunia's Windomation, can the gimmicks be combined? I understand the Window gaff needs room to do its thing so it can't be completely applied to the window.

If they can be combined, well- :banana: :banana: :banana:
[/quote]

I already thought of exactly what you said (As I own Bogunia's Windomation), and even though I do not own Window yet, I do know how the card changes, and considering there is something that is put on front and back of the card for Windomation, I do not see it being possible to combine the two effects.

I also would not want to put what you have to put on the card for Sean's effect on a $80 gimmick.

I will be getting Window beggining of Aug, I'll give ya my thoughts. :)
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 02:12, Piz wrote:
I already though of exactly what you said
[/quote]

That comment made me chuckle a little. How do you figure you were first? :P

Anyways, I don't mind destroying an $80 gimmick if it allows me to achieve what I'm visualizing. The back of the card is never seen and I hinted at not damaging the face of the card.
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 02:20, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 02:12, Piz wrote:
I already though of exactly what you said
[/quote]

That comment made me chuckle a little. How do you figure you were first? :P

Anyways, I don't mind destroying an $80 gimmick if it allows me to achieve what I'm visualizing. The back of the card is never seen and I hinted at not damaging the face of the card.
[/quote]

lol! I WAS FIRST!!! :D

I love combining effects, as I did with Kennedy's and DF CTW. As stated, the first thing I thought when seeing Window for the first time was combining these 2.

I understand what you are saying, but even if you do not care about damaging the card, I do not see how it would be possible.

It also depends on whether the Card for window changes from the front or the back, also you would have no-choice but to skip the first part of Windomation and use Window's methode of getting the card behind the glass.
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 02:34, Piz wrote:
It also depends on whether the Card for window changes from the front or the back, also you would have no-choice but to skip the first part of Windomation an us Window's methode to get the card behind the glass.
[/quote]

The card is behind the glass the whole time with Window. Are you referring to this as the method?

I would like to use Windomation to rap on the empty glass before spraying the deck. I'm placing my order as we type. If it doesn't work, I still have a method for color changing card behind glass.. :)
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 02:38, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
It also depends on whether the Card for window changes from the front or the back, also you would have no-choice but to skip the first part of Windomation an us Window's methode to get the card behind the glass.
[/quote]

Hey Piz,

What do you mean by having to skip the first part of Windomation? That's the main point in using Windomation with Window gaff- to make the wrong card appear on the window and not have to deal with a card already being there or needing a confederate. A one man effect if you will.
[/quote]

Without exposing anything here, you cannot do the first part of Sean's effect by simply using tape across the top to get the card on the window, considering the tape on Window is placed on the back of the card coming off the top, the card would not stick to the window using Window's" method with Windomation's first stage of appearing the card.

P.S. Do you own Windomation?
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 02:38, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

The card is behind the glass the whole time with Window. Are you referring to this as the method?

I would like to use Windomation to rap on the empty glass before spraying the deck. I'm placing my order as we type. If it doesn't work, I still have a method for color changing card behind glass.. :)
[/quote]

After watching the Demo again it seems clear that the card for Window changes from the front, which means you should be able to do the last stage (Vanish the card) from the Window using Windomation. It all boils down to how the gimmick is made for Window, but something will have to be placed on the back of the gimmick in-order for what your thinking to work.

Do me a favor my friend, once you receive Window drop me a PM with your thoughts.

Thanks

Paul
Just got Window. Very clever gimmick, very magical looking and fun to play with. Two small complaints: My card doesn't hang flat against the window -- the bottom leans away a bit. And there's a bit of a sound issue. Anyone else have those problems and, if so, what's the fix?
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 02:45, Piz wrote:
Without exposing anything here, you cannot do the first part of Sean's effect by simply using tape across the top to get the card on the window, considering the tape on Window is placed on the back of the card coming off the top, the card would not stick to the window using Window's" method with Windomation's first stage of appearing the card.

P.S. Do you own Windomation?
[/quote]

Yes, I own Windomation- it's a great appparatus and can be very versatile. Several magicians have shared their work on it with me and it blew my mind. My lips are sealed.

I understand what you mean about the first phase but, I would not use tape if the gimmick works like I think it might. Anyway, will happily discuss this in private with you when I get Window or vice-versa.
Just curious, since this involves a gimmick, there I said it, shouldn't this topic be in tricks and effects and not dvds? Tons of the effects in tricks and effects have dvds but it seemed to me that the distinguishing factor was whether there was a gimmick or just a dvd or book (for that category)--just pointing this out b/c it seems like tricks and effects gets a lot more traffic than does dvd section and this topic seems in the wrong place, at least to me
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 03:16, Socalesq wrote:
Just got Window. Very clever gimmick, very magical looking and fun to play with. Two small complaints: My card doesn't hang flat against the window -- the bottom leans away a bit. And there's a bit of a sound issue. Anyone else have those problems and, if so, what's the fix?
[/quote]

I hope this isn't a common complaint!
Sound isn't issue, PM I can help fix

Good News all,
Gimmicks are easily makeable, though it may not look as good, but that part is never seen!

Just made one, works like a charm
Yeah... They are not difficult at all to make.

Actually... you can make them look better than the gimmick that you get from E. There was an aspect of the E gimmick that I found rather cheap. But with a little care you can improve upon it.

I was a little dissapointed with all the "Precision gimmick, Hours to make, Not easy, and Costly" stuff. I've been making these for quite a while with the exeption of one element. I can knock one out in an hour or so and it won't cost that much at all.

V.
^^^ What I did when I posted something like this a while back, I put some rediculous name so not everyone can find it but only us Magi'c from the link posted.

Thanks for sharing, now that I know with some time I can make my own, $75-$80 does not so bad now :D
I just received it and the whiner in me is totally silent....

This is a thing of terrifying beauty :)
Interesting to hear again that the prop can be remade. The retailer should've pointed this out - would've been a good sales feature.

Now, has anyone performed this in the real world? How's the reaction & how effective was the performance?
I just got this and quite like it, but have one issue. I would like the spectator to verify that the card is actually on the outside of the window. However, at least with the gaff I received, I think that if the spectator gets close enough or steps to the side enough during the verification, that he/she will figure out that it is a gaff. any one have this problem? suggestions? thanks.
I ordered Window via PayPal
from David's French website
(I live in Germany) about
a week ago and have neither
heard nor received anything
as of yet. Only my confirmation
from PayPal that I've paid.
And that was from 3rd July.
Sure hope it comes soon.
So, I just got this, and I'm a little baffled at what I'm missing here. I think it's "clever" but my gimmick clearly can be seen from the side pre-and-post change. I don't think the gimmick is made very well...I can't make it lie flat, and like I said, anybody off-center from direct view will CLEARLY see "something."

Am I the only one?
For 70 bucks one might think better quality control and maybe a few extras. passing on this one
Magic168, I have the same concern. something can definitely been see from the side. I just tap of the glass to show that the card is truly on the other side. I would love for them to inspect and verify, but a step to the side reveals it is a gimmick. not sure if we have defective gimmicks or this is the nature of the gimmick.
Hmm, there are plenty of side-ish angles on the demo, and those cards seem to lie flat.
Just put wax at the bottom to make it stay to the glass 'lightly'
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 00:29, Suux88 wrote:
[/quote]

Are your home-made gimmicks laying flat without the wax, and do you feel it is possible to improve upon the gimmick (As you made em)?

[quote]
On 2009-07-10 02:19, Piz wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 00:29, Suux88 wrote:
[/quote]

Are your home-made gimmicks laying flat without the wax, and do you feel it is possible to improve upon the gimmick (As you made em)?

[/quote]

my homemade gimmicks lie flat!
The gimmicks that E put out are kind of on the cheap side. They pretty much slapped them together.

V.
I am not really concerned with the card lying flat- I doubt the spectator will care that it doesn't hang flat.

The bigger concern is that side views show that it is a gaff. Do other people's gimmicks not have this side issue problem? If so, any ideas? Thanks.
Voldermort,

Not passing the buck here, however the gimmicks were not made by Ellusionist. Jean-Luc went through extensive quality control and threw out close to 2000 gimmicks that did not fit the standard of quality that most people here understand what Jean-Luc Bertrand's quality standards are, and that is, exceptional.

That be known, please understand that we will gladly right any situation with a faulty gimmick. We cannot fix what we are not aware of, so please send us a note at http://www.ellusionist.com/contacts or call toll Free: 866.244.2426

If there is anyone with a gimmick where the edges do not line up properly, or the card is not laying flat, we have a troubleshooting guide to remedy the problem in mild cases that we will immediately send you. In more severe cases, we will gladly replace the gimmick for you.

Best wishes,
Jason
I stand corrected Jason. I thought perhaps that E was manufacturing the gimmick. I apologize.

There was only one element to the gimmick that I found cheap and it was on the back of the card, never seen. That is what gave me the "Slapped together" impression. (I'm perhaps too picky).

There was no problem with the alignment or anything of that sort. I will say however that I thought the gimmick made and inordinate amount of noise. At least compared to the ones that I make.

V.
Mine should be here today and I'll report back on the gaff and dvd.

Great review here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=320634&forum=109&2
Jason sent me one of these to look at and it arrived today. I watched the dvd and I enjoyed it with just music and no speaking. The dvd is beautiful to watch with lots of ideas on how to perform this.

The gimmick that came with mine is the way it should be. I played around with it, but didn't get the genius of it until I watched the dvd.

Being a signed card nut, I immediately started working on that. I 'think' you could have them select a card and have them sign the back and you....sign the face. Lose the card and.....the card in the window changes to the signed card. You remove it and give it to them as a souvenir.

It would require, the way I'm working on it, to have a DB on the deck, with the actual signed card under it, Now, you'd place the gimmick on top, turn it all over the signed card ( the back with their sig ) could just be slid off and handed out.

Anyway, I like playing around with ideas like that, but the effect as is needs nothing more. The card, behind the glass changes and it's amazing to see.
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 13:59, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Jason sent me one of these to look at and it arrived today. I watched the dvd and I enjoyed it with just music and no speaking. The dvd is beautiful to watch with lots of ideas on how to perform this.

The gimmick that came with mine is the way it should be. I played around with it, but didn't get the genius of it until I watched the dvd.

Being a signed card nut, I immediately started working on that. I 'think' you could have them select a card and have them sign the back and you....sign the face. Lose the card and.....the card in the window changes to the signed card. You remove it and give it to them as a souvenir.

It would require, the way I'm working on it, to have a DB on the deck, with the actual signed card under it, Now, you'd place the gimmick on top, turn it all over the signed card ( the back with their sig ) could just be slid off and handed out.

Anyway, I like playing around with ideas like that, but the effect as is needs nothing more. The card, behind the glass changes and it's amazing to see.
[/quote]

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the noise and angle issues.
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 19:51, RooMan wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me work with it this weekend and get back to you.

For those that raised the noise issue, would noise be that much of a problem in performance? I'm thinking perhaps noise could be a benefit or not even matter? I mean, it's behind glass and the card does change. Why would noise dilute the effect?
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 20:45, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 19:51, RooMan wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me work with it this weekend and get back to you.

For those that raised the noise issue, would noise be that much of a problem in performance? I'm thinking perhaps noise could be a benefit or not even matter? I mean, it's behind glass and the card does change. Why would noise dilute the effect?
[/quote]

Great. Look forward to your review. Unless the thing really "talks", I'd agree...the noise issue seems like it would be easy to overcome. Angles and the laying flat issues concern me more.
I have a totally different question. Still waiting for my copy of Window.
Would you say that Window could be used with Identity? At the end of identity, put the marked card behind the glass and change it into named card. Could that be done?

P
No, magicpatoche, that could not be done.
Ok... Heres a tip when performing window that I just learned the hard way.

This seems like common sense but, When you are doing the "Transposition" from one card to the card on the other side of the glass, make sure that you watch the reflection from the card you are holding up to the glass. I wasn't paying attention and one of my spectators got a look at the reflection of the card that was in my hand. So they saw that the card I was holding had already changed and just happened to match the (Unchanged) card on the other side of the window.

Thankfully he did not say anything until after the effect was over. And he was still blown away by the change.

This kind of stuff will definatly make you feel stupid though.

V.
Very good advice V - that's something I hadn't even thought about in practicing/rehearsing.
Thank you for saving me (or us) from a potentially embarrassing mistake in a live setting.

Dave
Even Dracula forgets about the reflection issue. Don't beat yourself up.

I haven't performed this yet, but I like Window very much.
Can the spectator retrieve the card or is that our job?
Slyhand,

That's going to be your job I'm afraid.

V.
I'm "working" on a routine. I'd place a silk ( via a VERRRRY small bit of wax ) on the window and say I'm going to place a prediction on the other side.

They choose a card...I pull down the silk in my worst overly dramatic fashion and...they now show their card. It doesn't match. OUCH!

I go to them in disbelief to look at their card and...Top change it and place it back in their hands and ask them to cover it with their other hand.

Go to the window and....change it and now they have the original window card in their hand.

That might be overkill, too much, dumb, I don't know. But...I'm having allot of fun working on this and playing with it.

Window is a fantastic effect in my opinion.
Chris, what's your take on angles and issues related to the gimmick, i.e., how it looks from varying distances?
I recieved mine yesterday and played around with it a bit. I'm having some of the same issues others have stated. The gimmick isn't perfectly aligned and it doesn't lay flat. That being said, I think it just needs to be worked with a little bit. Playing around with it last night, it really does look like real magic.

I think the angles can't be dealt with and I may even make some gimmicks of my own to see if I can improve the quality a bit.

While $70 isn't cheap, I'm glad the price was set a little higher to keep it out of the hands of the curious.
[quote]
On 2009-07-14 10:07, Mario Orsini wrote:

I think the angles can't be dealt with and I may even make some gimmicks of my own to see if I can improve the quality a bit.

[/quote]

Do you mean "can be dealt with" or "can't be dealt with"?
[quote]
On 2009-07-14 09:34, bugjack wrote:
Chris, what's your take on angles and issues related to the gimmick, i.e., how it looks from varying distances?
[/quote]

I don't see an angle issue form the sides. But, I don't have the best eyesite, so those that do hopefully will chime in.
[quote]
On 2009-07-14 10:33, bugjack wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-14 10:07, Mario Orsini wrote:

[/quote]

Do you mean "can be dealt with" or "can't be dealt with"?
[/quote]

My bad, I need to proofread before posting. It should have read CAN be dealt with. Thanks for asking me to clarify.
After watching the DVD and look at the props provided, I am thinking it will be better to make my own prop for this.

The problem is, I cannot destroy my very own one to see what are between the gaff (although the explanation already told us what is inside, but that is only the material, we need to get the size measurement of that too right?), anyone who are familiar with this long history gaff are most welcome to PM me what material I need to make the mechanism of the card.
HI ALL
I JUST THOUGHT OF THE CRAZIEST IDEA USING WINDOW and hopefully YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE ME and haven't come up with it yet ;P

Window can actually work as a card through window by.... BLACK ART!

You can just cut out a black card and stick it to the face of the card that originally shows, at night it would look like nothing, do the move and then bam, card appears!

What's crazier is, and discrepancies of edges will be concealed by black art and the night sky!

For those of us who know how to make the gaff
Use black art and do a fu*en insane CARD THROUGH WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[quote]
On 2009-07-16 00:43, Suux88 wrote:
HI ALL
I JUST THOUGHT OF THE CRAZIEST IDEA USING WINDOW and hopefully YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE ME and haven't come up with it yet ;P

You can just cut out a black card and stick it to the face of the card that originally shows, at night it would look like nothing, do the move and then bam, card appears!

What's crazier is, and discrepancies of edges will be concealed by black art and the night sky!

[/quote]

Very nice thinking there!
Depending on the distance (and the angle) where the spectator(s) are, there can be indeed a slight "angle-issue".
The use of a silk or cloth to wipe the window (like some examples on the DVD) resolves this problem entirely.
[quote]
[/quote]

It sounds like a brilliant idea. If, in reality, there is indeed nothing to see, it becomes a TRUE CTW ! Have you tried it already in reality?
[quote]
On 2009-07-13 21:40, slyhand wrote:
Can the spectator retrieve the card or is that our job?
[/quote]

No they cant, the card is gaffed to the hilt :) This has same problems as any other card thru window has... It must be prepared in advance, the card cant be really retrieved by any other than magician, you need a window and so on... Kaos still remains to be the "worker" method for Card thru window along with simple torn corner and dublicate.

Juha-Matti
[quote]
On 2009-07-16 00:43, Suux88 wrote:
HI ALL

[/quote]

Reminds me of Peter Marvey's Card Through Window. Good thinking with the *lack *rt.
Black art is hard to achieve in places other than on stage. Believe me, Ive tried.
I received Window about a week ago, courtesy of Jason over at Ellusionist. I wanted to play with it a bit before I posted anything significant.

I was really excited to get this, because the effect just looked so magical and pure from the demo video. I couldn't quite imagine how it was accomplished, and the gimmick/method were definitely not what I expected. The method is simple and clever. It really is as easy as putting a piece of tape on a card, sticking it to a window, and then waving your hand over it to change it.

The DVD is short and sweet. A quick lesson on how to use the gimmick and make the change happen, and then some different presentation ideas for using a silk, an envelope, etc to achieve the change. It's only about 15 minutes long, but it's really all you need. There are some brief written instructions inside the DVD cover that can get you up and running, but I'd recommend watching the DVD before playing with the gimmick, just to make sure you handle it properly. There are plenty of ways to adapt this and create your own presentations. Personally, I've come up with a way to use Jay Sankey's Omnilope to bring the Envelope variation to a bit of a higher level.

Is it a card thru window? I guess in the strictest sense that we think of it, no, it's not. The main focus and highlight are definitely the change. The DVD does teach a way to have a card on your side of the window and make it penetrate if you'd like to present it that way. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary. I think the idea of having a "prediction" taped to the far side of the window at the beginning is fine. Or, you can have it pre-set on a window that's a little "out of the way" and stumble upon it after you've done your business.

Angles, Sound, and Discrepancies: I feel like my gimmick is pretty darn well made. I don't really see how it could get any better. With that said, there are some potential angle issues, so it's best to have your audience fairly dead-on with the card. If you're working for a bigger group, then one of the silk or envelope presentations is probably the best way to go. There can be a bit of noise, but in any real environment, it shouldn't be a big deal. With practice, you can definitely reduce the amount of noise. Not a concern for me at all. There is a bit of a visual oddity/discrepancy to the card after the change. I performed this for my girlfriend, who is one of my primary "test audiences" and she noticed it from a pretty fair distance. I'm not sure how to reduce this, or if it's even possible to make it less noticable due to the nature of the gimmick. When I perform this, I'll be sure to try to keep audiences at a safe distance, and then remove the card from the glass relatively quickly in order to "hand it out" for examination. Like some others are reporting, my card also doesn't quite lay flat before the change, but from what I've read in the E protected forum for the effect, this should improve with time. Also, if your audience is fairly dead-on for the performance, then it shouldn't prove to be a problem.

I have David Stone's 2-volume DVD set, which I really like, so I definitely had high hopes for this project. It didn't disappoint. Despite some of the minor drawbacks, when looking at this based purely on effect, it's a killer. A card freakin' changes through glass with just a wave of the hand. Kudos to Stone, Bertrand, and Chatelain for coming up with this.

I'm still playing with some of the subtleties and overall presentational aspects (After all, I've only had it for a week), so I haven't done this for what I'd call real audiences yet, just my normal test audiences. Results there were good though, with people being very impressed by the change, and having no idea how it was accomplished. I'm really looking forward to using it on a more real-world level in the near future.

I'll try to get some basic performance footage taken and uploaded soon if I can.

If you're looking for a "traditional" card through window where the primary focus is the penetration through the glass, this may not be the best option. However, in the realm of impossible, smooth-as-silk color changes, this is certainly among the best. I'm also in the camp who hopes that they'll make additional gimmicks available separately, because even though I'm taking good care of it, I plan to put this thing to a lot of use!

Kevin
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the review. Very helpful. Quick question: are the angle issues present before and after the change, or just during it? In other words, do you have to position your audience dead on the whole time?
Yup, the dead-on thing is more of a pre-change consideration. You really don't have to worry about where they are (other than a bit of distance) after the change.

Kevin
It is possible to combine it with WindoMation!!

Imagine a card appears right behind a window.. it is the spectators choosen card!
it passed visually through the window on the other side..

let another spectator choose a card and let it change directly behind the window..

now let the cards dissapear and you have a strange mystic wonder!

possibilities are endless.. that is the ONLY CTW EFFECT I WILL PERFORM ever!

:applause:
[quote]
On 2009-07-17 10:24, ArtIn wrote:

Imagine a card appears right behind a window.. it is the spectators choosen card!

let another spectator choose a card and let it change directly behind the window..

[/quote]

... are you sure
it seems impossible to combine man
[quote]
On 2009-07-17 14:21, Suux88 wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-17 10:24, ArtIn wrote:

[/quote]

... are you sure
[b]it seems impossible to combine man[/b]
[/quote]

I agree with Suux88.

[b]Window[/b] relies on sticky tape. In the very first place, placing the card on the windowpane using [b]WindowMation[/b] will be difficult and if it is some how done, removing the card off the window will be impossible.

[b]Window[/b], in itself, is a very neat & clean effect with may possibilities. The gimmick is a very well thought out, designed & self-contained gimmick which is very easy to use.

:xmas:
I received mine today and the gimmick is unworkable-especially on the upper left hand side (can't say much more without revealing anything). I hope that Ellusionist will make it right. For $70 bucks, the gimmicks should have gone out as perfect as possible. The error on my gimmick is really bad and quite noticable.
[quote]
On 2009-07-21 23:10, ventman wrote:
I received mine today and the gimmick is unworkable-especially on the upper left hand side (can't say much more without revealing anything). I hope that Ellusionist will make it right. For $70 bucks, the gimmicks should have gone out as perfect as possible. The error on my gimmick is really bad and quite noticable.
[/quote]

I have been on the fence about ordering this and this post does not help :(
I ordered mine on July third direct from their company in France.
After about a week it hadn't arrived so I sent them an email.
Jean-Luc answered very quickly and said he check into it.
a few days later it still wasn't here so I wrote again and he promised
to send another one to me. About a week later they both arrived
at the same time- one sent on July 4th and the other on the 14th!
So obviously it was a problem with the mail or Zoll (customs)
and not with Close Up Magic. They sent to me immediately.

Ok, so I wrote to Jean-Luc (a very pleasant person to talk to)
offering to send back one of the unopened packages.
He told me to keep it and make someone happy (isn't that great?).
So I've sent it to a young lady I know who loves the demo but has
Very limited financial resources. And I know she is very, very Happy!

Thank you, Jean-Luc, it is a pleasure doing business with you. :)
A quick update. I filled out a ticket with ellusionist regarding the gimmick. They asked me to send a few photos of the problem. In short, I've just received an email that they are going to send a new gimmick. I'll update you on the quality of that once I have received it.
If you want to use Suux88's idea, you can combine it with Dave Forrest's card vanish from his CTW and you'd have a killer card through window. That is, if Suux88's idea actually works. It would look like you openly palm the card off of the deck, swipe it against the window and it just passes through.
My gimmick is fine, but I ordered a couple of back-ups today because this is such an amazing revelation. Very pricey ($34.95 from Ellusionist), but worth it - at least to me. I don't think it's ethical to buy a gaff from someone other than JL or Ellusionist.

JMHO.
Robert
I received my replacement gimmick this morning (fast service) and it is perfect. This is a wonderful effect and I'm quite pleased with Ellusionist's customer service. Now the fun begins.
Suux88 and Ustaad,

another magicians friend told this to me.
he manipulated something at the windowgimmick. don't know if he maybe sticked double sided tape to the windomation gimmick? I really belive him.. he is a ctw maniac.
I will ask him for his setting.

best regards
It may be a bit off topic of a review, but I would like to know, where you really can perform this trick?? I think this is the same problem with all CTW Tricks.

The effect on the demo really killed me too, but now I only think about where would I be able to use it really.

So I would like to know from the working magicians here, how and where they use this sort of tricks
[quote]
On 2009-08-06 08:38, Thomas Burkhart wrote:
It may be a bit off topic of a review, but I would like to know, where you really can perform this trick?? I think this is the same problem with all CTW Tricks.

The effect on the demo really killed me too, but now I only think about where would I be able to use it really.

So I would like to know from the working magicians here, how and where they use this sort of tricks
[/quote]

Any place with a window....:P

I've only 'performed it once so far. It was at a walk around gig this past weekend. The person had patio doors with large glass panes and blinds covering them. Before it began, I did my set-up and closed the blinds. When I was ready to perform, I opened them and then opened the door to retrieve the "card" from the outside.

I agree you can't perform it everywhere/anytime but with a little bit of thought you'll find plenty of places and opportunties to use it.
You can also do this as a straight transposition effect and not a card through window. Here is a way to do it that requires no advanced preparation.

Have the gimmick in the deck with the "normal looking" short edge pointing towards the spec. Hold the deck face up and force the gimmicked card. Slide it off the deck and tape it to the window, have them choose the second card, and then do the visual transposition.

Matt
I do it most of the time as a "Prediction/ Magician wrong/ Magician makes good" Kind of effect.

I love CTW.. But its a pain in the butt to get set up most times.

Anyway the wrong card to right card effect works great if you put a little presentation behind it.

I've been messing around with a wild card plot useing a Joker. A time machine effect useing 1800 bikes. And a printing card effect with the card starting out as blank and then "Printing" through the window.

V.
I love this effect. mind you everything David Stone does is good.
Is there a possibilities to get a second or third gimmick of the first one is worn?
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 16:50, Memory-Jah wrote:
Is there a possibilities to get a second or third gimmick of the first one is worn?
[/quote]

Send Ellusionist a ticket. They'll sort you out.
The effect kinda reminds me tnr from Mathieu Bich. But I think it's very well thought and it works great for me. The only con is that it's not examinable.
I would like to do this on a car window, but I am sure someone would run on the other side and look in. Is the gimmick concealed or fully exposed from that side? Perhaps it would work best on a house window with no one outside?
So what I understand is that as long as you use some kinda cloth or something for the change, that will eliminate the angle issues? Completely? THanks -DP
DP,
A cloth or silk should cover up the change....after practicing the move/wipe you will get a good idea of what the angles look like.

Of course if you have huge mutant hands that would also work!

:)

Hope this helps!

Respectfully,
rochaz
I love the method of this trick, it's so simple.....
I'm thinking of selling mine
[quote]
On 2009-08-19 13:58, DP the Great wrote:
So what I understand is that as long as you use some kinda cloth or something for the change, that will eliminate the angle issues? Completely? THanks -DP
[/quote]

I use both hands crossed for the change - no angle problems.

Robert
This awesome, I get DVD today and easy to perform and simple preparation. We can use JUMBO CARD for Stage.
Just my 2 cents...

watch the way this French magician itroduce the window gimmick. That is just great. He keeps the gimmick in the middle of the pack and just put the piece of tape on it, the he does a weird sleight that keeps the gimmick o the window.. and here you are! I think he is Olmac, the 3rd card FISM 09 winner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmHJv4DEu9w
This is not Olmac ...

It s performed by Eric Leblon an other french magician and the effect is called window pro

It look great too and the card is signed , I guess that the gimmick and methode are different

Take care
Muro
Hmm, I like this, I really do but the sello-tape can rip the back of the card a bit which is annoying and I cant get it to work on double glazing, if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent the ripping and get it to work on double glazing could you om me, thanks a lot
Try sticking the tape to your shirt or pants, before sticking it to the card, this makes the tape a little less aggressive. As far as making an extra gimmick I think its totally feasible.
Ok thanks :)
Try masking tape.
There is no harm for Cards.

Hope this helps !
[quote]
On 2009-09-07 18:48, totothemagician wrote:
Just my 2 cents...

watch the way this French magician itroduce the window gimmick. That is just great. He keeps the gimmick in the middle of the pack and just put the piece of tape on it, the he does a weird sleight that keeps the gimmick o the window.. and here you are! I think he is Olmac, the 3rd card FISM 09 winner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmHJv4DEu9w
[/quote]

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by MagicZoom entertainment.
Use blue Scotch 3M tape - similar to masking tape. Painters use it.

Robert
Mine is worn, can anyone advise where I can get my replacement please?
[quote]
On 2010-02-06 22:43, mrmuji wrote:
Mine is worn, can anyone advise where I can get my replacement please?
[/quote]

Pretty sure you can order one from Ellusionist or you can make your own with the pieces you have.
I'm raising this question again:
Where are people performing this?
[quote]
On 2011-01-13 04:54, rockthemike wrote:
I'm raising this question again:
Where are people performing this?
[/quote]

At Magic Clubs.
I work in a restaurant with glass walls between eating areas I know some of the effects wouldnt work but would any of the methods work well?
I know its not likely but I can't help but think how much of a shock factor id have if the table on the other side got to take the card off.
I'm struggling to get the gimmick to work on the basic set up. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong.
The gimmick doesn't 'flip' enough for it work. Any help appreciated.
Thanks & regards
Ray
I recently bought this but I'm not sure if my gimmick is faulty.

Should you have bad angles left and right of gimmick?
I see this being dumped at the ellusionist website for less than wholesale. I just had a customer who wanted it but I could not match the price it is being sold for at their website. Why is this effect being dumped? I have never carried it before and am wondering if there is an issue with it.
[quote]
On 2013-03-23 17:07, ZoOpDoG wrote:
I see this being dumped at the ellusionist website for less than wholesale. I just had a customer who wanted it but I could not match the price it is being sold for at their website. Why is this effect being dumped? I have never carried it before and am wondering if there is an issue with it.
[/quote]

I don't know.... This was one of those effects that lit up so bright it exhausted what fuel it had and burnt out rather quickly. The biggest thing for me was always the "Why". Oh the change is awesome and very impossible looking... But, Try to figure out a good justification for sticking a card on the opposite side of a window. You have to be careful not to project what is going to happen. Thus the "Why". "Why on earth are you putting that card on the other side of the window Mr. magic man?

I ended up with a "Magician makes good" type of effect by placing a piece of black paper on the front of the window and explaining that, On the other side of the window would be a prediction card (The black paper would hide) and that there would be no way I could change my mind... As it was stuck to the other side of the window. Of course after all that that's exactly what happens. You "find" the wrong card and change it.

I will say that I was never happy with the gimmick that they sent. Don't buy it thinking your going to get some kind of masterfully crafted gimmick. I make my own up and they are 100 times better than the one E sends.

As far as "Dumping" it? Well maybe they just have quite a few copy's laying around and are trying to clear inventory. I see that penguin was selling it for them as well.
I know this thread hasn't been used in a while :P but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can still purchase this product for a descent price. Ellusionist us currently out of stock... Not planning on buying this immediately, but sometime in the near future for sure... So any help would be much appreciated!