(Close Window)
Topic: Egg suggestions for silk to egg?
I'm looking to buy a better gaffed egg for my silk to egg routine...the one I'm using was about three bucks and only has a small load space because it can be opened and the other half can contain a small load. I know there are several out there...any thoughts on the best one?
I would contact Bob Sanders and get the eggs he sells. In my opinion they are the best eggs I have seen and used. my 2 cents.....
Viking Magic have a top ceramic resin egg as well as the full routine.

Working myself in the corporate market for many years using this effect I use the following & they have lasted through hundreds of shows & travel- I can recommend these.

I have spares as well but not used yet.

Check the link:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=482

Cheers
Thanks Brent! They're sold out at the moment - must be a good item! I'll keep an eye out for them to come back in stock.
Go with the Bob Sanders eggs. They are perfect.
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 03:06, Brent McLeod wrote:
Viking Magic have a top ceramic resin egg as well as the full routine
[/quote]
Actually the Viking egg is a resin egg, not a ceramic resin, which would imply it was made from two different materials. Their eggs used to be ceramic. Very real looking, you just didn't want to drop it. The egg they have now, which is 100% resin in a great egg.

I know there are some pros, like Whit Haydn who use the Tirofog Egg:

[url]http://tirofog.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=104[/url]

These are real eggs that have an inner coating which makes them very strong.
Cool resource - thanks!
And then there are the "Do-It-Yourselfers" like me who, after a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs, wash out the carefully punctured egg shells and coat the insides with a thin coat of white glue. Once that has dried, the side hole may then be cut larger in each egg. In the old days, this was called cheap and miserly. Today, it is called recycling; a much better name, don't you think?
We have people who take our ceramic egg gimmick and coat the inside with poly urethane, etc. to give strength against breakage. I've never tried it. But those who do claim it is worth the effort.

I use them several times a week and have broken two in about 40 years. One was in a briefcase loaded with books and did not crush the books when the case was forced closed. The other fell on concrete in the parking lot and failed to damage the concrete. They are reasonably tough anyway.

Otherwise, I have reason to believe that the dry cleaners must eat them along with Scotch & Soda and TTs.

A fake that doesn't pass as real is not really a very good fake no matter how long it lasts. As those of you who have seen me work know, I hand the "egg" to the spectator and it is accepted as a real egg. They treat it like it will indeed break!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Since I do the teaching method of silk to egg, I'm not overly concerned with something that looks 100% real. I don't specifically say that it's a fake egg when I get to that point of the routine, but in pointing out the hole I'm sure people are aware something is amiss ;) The egg I'm using now was about six bucks at the store and came with a small silk, and in my rehearsal videos I can't tell the difference between the fake egg and the real one. My main issue has been the load size; because the egg opens in the middle, I'm not able to fit a silk into the egg that's as large as I would like. An egg with that can take a larger silk, yet still looks close enough to the real thing is what I've been hunting for.
I've heard talk about wooden ones - any thoughts on those?
The reason I use the ceramic eggs from China is because I have owned the plastic ones.

I do Walk-Around Silk to Egg and actually place "eggs" in the spectator's hand. It is very important at that range that it emulate a real egg.

If you perform this with a plastic egg on TV the zoom lens will give you away either due to shine or color-bleed. You are safe with the ceramic egg.

Frankly there isn't much difference in costs.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- For Back-of-Room sales, unfortunately, the props usually expose the trick but don't supply props a pro could use to perform it professionally. For BOR sales price and markup are everything.
Pardon my ignorance...just unfamiliar with the term "Back-of-Room sales." I'm picturing two guys in suits in the back room of a sketchy Italian restaurant somewhere, one with a briefcase full of cash, exchanging it for a set of linking rings or maybe some flower productions. I'm guessing that's not quite what it means though :)
Andrew, Bob has the best eggs I have ever used!
[quote]
On 2009-07-06 03:42, Andrewzuber wrote:
Pardon my ignorance...just unfamiliar with the term "Back-of-Room sales." I'm picturing two guys in suits in the back room of a sketchy Italian restaurant somewhere, one with a briefcase full of cash, exchanging it for a set of linking rings or maybe some flower productions. I'm guessing that's not quite what it means though :)
[/quote]
LOL! Good one!

Back-of-Room sales is the way many performers enhance the revenues from performances. They sell magic tricks, kits, books, photos, etc. to the audience after the show. Unfortunately, the quality is frequently poor but the markups very high. Of course, there are also some that sell higher end products.

The term "slum magic" is even appropriate at times. There are wholesalers who make no bones about selling "slum magic" for BOR resale.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Regan,

Thank you very much for the support on DoveLite Silks props for Silk to Egg and the Walk-Around Silk to Egg. We ship them to professionals all over the world. I don't import or sell props that I don't use in my shows. The quality has to be good enough for my shows first. (And I have dropped products when they didn't measure up to professional standards.) I never want a performing magician to have to be embarrassed or apologize for using DoveLite Silk props.

Bob
Bob, you are welcome! I have a lot of your products and I do not have the first complaint about any of them! Only high praise! I would not say it if I didn't mean it. I am hoping to contact you very soon with another order. A customer that keeps coming back must be happy!

Regan
Bob's eggs are the best! I have two sets of the Walk-Around Silk to Egg and they are amazing.

We are not talking about breaking the bank here...if you are undecided on which type to buy just buy them all.

Nick
I agree with all of those who recommend Bob's egg. It looks realistic.
Mike,

Next week in Colon, remember to ask me about a cloth Egg Dropper. For the sucker Silk to Egg it will simplify your life!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Ok, Bob, I will not forget.
Bob: I will see you in Colon next week and we can talk silk magic.
I can't wait either, Bob. I used to do silk to egg as a dealer when I sold the Tenyo egg, but never did it in a show. Is there a need during the routine to produce the egg from a silk? All this egg talk makes me want to put it in my act, of course I don't want to do it like everyone else.
I worked out a cute little gimmick for an open hand production of an egg from a silk that might work as the opener for the trick, or even as a method for producing the real egg. I will be in Colon (if my voice holds out) and will show it during my lecture on Thursday at 3 PM. I guarantee you will want this in your classic routine.
Ian,

You already know how to do this. You just didn't do it with an egg. Think about coin from silk! or Full shot glass from silk.

We'll scheme when we get there. I look forward to your lecture.

Since my eggs are being sent to Europe for my trip there, I hope I have enough to bring to Colon next week. The guys are really zapping them up as fast as I can get them.

I'll look forward to your ideas are on another way to do it with egg from silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I would expect Egg from Rope from you!
[quote]PS --- I would expect Egg from Rope from you![/quote]
Will work on that, probably scrambled.
Two questions.

Where can I buy these eggs?

Are they WHITE? Seems to me, that most fake eggs are white, when you can't buy white eggs in the usual shops...

Tks!

DCB
DCB,

We ship brown eggs all over the world to professional magicians. You know better than most that brown eggs are very common in much of the world. Even in parts of the USA the preference is for brown eggs over white eggs.

I use both in my shows because I am usually at the mercy of what ever color eggs the local hotel stocks.

Later this month I'll be in France but I won't make it to Ireland in 2009. I would love for you to get a look at the brown egg props and have a chance to actually touch and hold them. They will fool you!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I actually prefer the brown eggs too, when given a choice. They can't flash!
Bob,

I'll have a couple of brown eggs please. You can either send them to my address in the UK, or Ireland, whatever suits. If you visit the UK, then it would logical to mail them to my address in London. Or Edinburgh, if you're in Scotland .... :)

Regards, and thanks!

DCB
[quote]
On 2009-08-02 07:02, deadcatbounce wrote:
Bob,

I'll have a couple of brown eggs please. You can either send them to my address in the UK, or Ireland, whatever suits. If you visit the UK, then it would logical to mail them to my address in London. Or Edinburgh, if you're in Scotland .... :)

Regards, and thanks!

DCB
[/quote]
DCB,

Please send me (email or PM) the mailing address you prefer I use. You will also get to choose silk colors (red, green, blue & yellow - mixed as you like).

I recommend the Walk-Around version since it will do everything the other will and much more. (The extra egg should even work in your egg bag or for a Cups and Balls production.

I think you are going to be impressed.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Based on a solid recommendation, I am really interested in the Tirofog Egg. However, I need one that will take a heavy 24" silk. Tirofog's site is confusing...they have five different sizes, three of which say they take 24". What's the big difference between large, extra large, and jumbo? I don't want a tennis ball sized jumbo egg...but I don't want my egg to be too tiny either. Any suggestions? Here's that page - http://tirofog.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=104

Thanks!

Ryan

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 11:14am
Aha...I get it! They are made from REAL eggs. Karl from Tirofog emailed and was very helpful. A trip to the grocery store answered my questions.

Ryan

p.s. - already tried calling them
The Tirofog eggs are excellent!
[quote]
On 2009-08-02 07:02, deadcatbounce wrote:
Bob,

Regards, and thanks!

DCB
[/quote]
DCB,

You should have receive your new brown eggs weeks ago. In France, white eggs were rare. In Malaysia brown eggs are the rule too. Here in the USA white eggs are common.

I think you are going to be very disappointed with plastic eggs once you see these eggs. These you can use in close up magic and even hand them to the spectators. They actually look and feel like real eggs. (Note the weight too!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- If you want plastic eggs go to Dollar Tree. Some of their plastic eggs make good storage containers for good gimmicked eggs and real eggs. Do be careful because some in some stores are too small.
If things work out, soon you will have a magic dealer with the Dovelite brown eggs in the UK. Then you can touch and see before you buy without having to come to one of my lectures.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- They have been very popular there. People have been getting them direct from me when they cannot find a retail suppler there.
Since this thread popped up again... it has always occurred to me that since it is in the Silk Forum, it OUGHT to be about Silk Suggestions for Silk FROM Egg. Anyway, I have one of those.

Do Silk TO Egg as usual, with a big red (color optional) silk and any color egg. When you get to the part where you reveal the hole and then remove the hole sticker, hand the egg to a spectator and ask "Is that a real egg? Would you crack it into this glass?" When he or she does, instead of eggy goo, out comes a white silk with a yellow yolk painted in the center. Reach up to your forehead... or wherever you have relocated the sticker "hole" and pull the red silk from your forehead. The line is: "Did you get the yolk?"

OK. I got that one out of my system.
With the popularity of brown eggs we are using other colors with them that look great with the brown color. Now we are packing them with Pink, Orange, Bright Green and Bright Yellow silks more often than the standard red, green or blue silks. It solves a lot of contrast problems with costumes and curtains too!

For stickers, you simple switch to the neon colors of file marker labels. (Of course, it would work with white eggs too. Currently brown eggs just seem to be more popular worldwide in magic acts.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2011-02-08 10:19, Bob Sanders wrote:
With the popularity of brown eggs we are using other colors with them that look great with the brown color. Now we are packing them with Pink, Orange, Bright Green and Bright Yellow silks more often than the standard red, green or blue silks. It solves a lot of contrast problems with costumes and curtains too!

For stickers, you simple switch to the neon colors of file marker labels. (Of course, it would work with white eggs too. Currently brown eggs just seem to be more popular worldwide in magic acts.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]
That's great, Bob! I might just wind up ordering a brown egg soon enough.

That's a good suggestion about the neon colored labels. I actually don't use stickers. I had cut the corner of a small silk, folded it a little (and sewed it), then attach that corner to the egg with double-sided tape. I don't remember where I got that idea (it could have been from a video/DVD or perhaps even you, Bob). In any case, this makes it look like the corner of the egg sticking out of a fake egg. It also works well from close distance. I used to see some jaws drop open when I would tear off the silk corner from the egg. Just another suggestion.
Jimmy,

Now for the hard question. Are you really using your new Egg Dropper with the egg or with everything else like many other magicians do? Even my wife uses hers for producing a glass of wine. (I get no respect!)

Should we rename it?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Tape will eventually leave some adhesive on props and costumes. Rubber cement will rub off cleaner.
I find that the eggs available in a craft store are great. Mine will accomodate a 24" silk. The only thing to take care of is getting one that will match the size of eggs you generally buy!
Another reason brown eggs may be used more than before is because they do not flash like white can.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 03:06, Brent McLeod wrote:
Viking Magic have a top ceramic resin egg as well as the full routine.

Working myself in the corporate market for many years using this effect
I use the following & they have lasted through hundreds of shows & travel-
I can recommend these.

I have spares as well but not used yet.

Check the link:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=482

Cheers
[/quote]
New Link- Check it out

Great product

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=483
This is the one I have and can fully recommend it.
The egg is a little large though if you have small hands.
Jimmy,

It had just occurred to me recently to make the decal out of a swatch of matching silk. What a surreal moment, peeling that thing off the egg... Glad to hear how much success you've had with it, now I can't wait to try it, myself.
Damian,

A lot of magicians are using a small piece of matching silk rather than the sticker. I find that rubber cement doesn't leave me the other problems that tape can cause. However, tape is as popular as rubber cement with magicians. Do remember that what it touches next can really matter! (It's like magicians using magnets and forgetting that the metal buttons and zippers on their clothes can cause problems!)

Enjoy your silk and egg magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- You should have your Egg Dropper and new Walk-Around Silk to Egg by now. At last you also have brown eggs!
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 14, 2011 09:34PM)
Yes, Bob's got the best eggs around! And that's no Yolk! Sorry, Spellbinder's post got me started... :)
I have been using a swatch of matching silk almost from the very beginning when I started doing the routine. I use Double Sided Tape made by Scotch/3M. Depending on my mood, sometimes after I remove the "hole" I place it on my forehead. Makes for a funny moment.
Anyone invest in this comprehensive version?
Looks interesting, anyone have it and care to comment?
Is the egg supplied any good, meaning well made without a seam?

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=TA2065&keyword=EGG
[quote]
On 2011-04-25 09:52, manal wrote:
This is the one I have and can fully recommend it. The egg is a little large though if you have small hands.
[/quote]
Real eggs don't care what size hands a magician has. If you use real eggs you must deal with it. My eggs (DoveLite) are an exact match for FDA Grade A Large eggs (the most common at Walmart). Mix them in a carton of eggs and spectators cannot pick them out. (I have routines that rely on it!)

Those who know me will tell you that I am not a big guy (5'9" and 185 lbs.) and wear medium gloves. I used these eggs professionally years before offering them to others. My teacher was much smaller than me. He was Tony Slydini. He taught me to handle an egg (end to end) just like a cigarette. It works. Regardless of your hand size, try it! It works with real eggs too.

Don't be discouraged by hand size. Eggs are magic in your hands. (For Autumn, let the spectators shell out money to watch the magic.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
DoveLite Silk
Bob,
Yes, finally have the brown - thank you. What a terrific product. I love the weight, it feels real. Anyway, busy summer, didn't have time to get back to this till now. Looking forward to taking this new set back to Europe and trying it out.
Thanks again.
It was a fact to me that in Europe brown eggs rule. (I always carry both white and brown with me where ever I go because I am at the mercy of the hotel where I am for real eggs. I use their color.) In Europe, I never needed white eggs. That is also true in most of the world. White eggs seem to be a very American preference. Cold eggs also seem to be very American. Eggs in most of the world are actually fresh!

Come see us!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I'm learning that here in the USA magicians are also preferring the brown eggs for the Walk-Around Silk to Egg.

They like the look better and they stay cleaner when you let the audience handle them. Nobody questions that the brown eggs are ever not real eggs.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Another real advantage of brown eggs is no flash!
[quote]
On 2011-09-09 10:26, Bob Sanders wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-04-25 09:52, manal wrote:
This is the one I have and can fully recommend it. The egg is a little large though if you have small hands.
[/quote]
Real eggs don't care what size hands a magician has. If you use real eggs you must deal with it. My eggs (DoveLite) are an exact match for FDA Grade A Large eggs (the most common at Walmart). Mix them in a carton of eggs and spectators cannot pick them out. (I have routines that rely on it!)

Those who know me will tell you that I am not a big guy (5'9" and 185 lbs.) and wear medium gloves. I used these eggs professionally years before offering them to others. My teacher was much smaller than me. He was Tony Slydini. He taught me to handle an egg (end to end) just like a cigarette. It works. Regardless of your hand size, try it! It works with real eggs too.

Don't be discouraged by hand size. Eggs are magic in your hands. (For Autumn, let the spectators shell out money to watch the magic.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
DoveLite Silk
[/quote]
I was referring to the Viking egg. It is on the large size which at first gave me some difficulty with the switch but nothing practice didn't overcome. I must add I have large hands.
Still, I like the egg very much.
If you really want to see a large egg, see what we did for Pop Haydn. (Turkey eggs!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
With Easter coming, Silk to Egg is a great one to use. Also, we furnish the prop set for the Silk2Egg by Cody S. Fisher. It happens in the volunteer's hand. For Easter, you may want to go to some spring color silks instead of the usual red ones. Pink or bright green are two that work well with white or brown eggs and give a seasonal change.
Well! It is Easter time again.

Ready?
I use the Viking Eggs and like them. Beware, I was once practicing and dropped the egg onto a tile floor...splat! Luckily I had a spare as I had a show that weekend. Just try not to drop it.

Tony
I like to save money and make my own hit up hobbylobby you can get all kinds of fake food that's hollow and get a dermal
Jolyon Jenkins, who usually works with Magi-tronic effects (radio controlled electronics), made an e-Book with instructions on how to "Make Your Own Silk To Egg" using a real egg. He also includes various instructions from our magical past on how to make use of the gimmick. http://magicnook.com/MiniMysteries/MM4-05DIYsilkToEgg.htm
[quote]On May 16, 2015, magicsecure wrote:
I like to save money and make my own hit up hobbylobby you can get all kinds of fake food that's hollow and get a dermal [/quote]

That is doing it the hard way, why not just get a plastic egg and cut your hole. You just missed Easter, Wal-Mart had loads of white plastic hollow eggs for $2, you would have had a lifetime supply, or enough to use with an egg bag.
We are still shipping our ceramic eggs to the pros around the world. Two from the Far East wrote me this week surprised that their walk-around audiences could handle them and believed that they were indeed real eggs. Plastic eggs are not even in the same league. One even remarked that they smelled like real eggs. (That surprised me!)
Sort of makes you wonder about those Far East eggs, doesn't it? I never noticed that your eggs have any odor at all --- now I have to go pick one up to check it....

Murf
My eggs should have no odor.
Just out of curiosity, with so many things being produced by 3D printers these days, props for magic included. Has anyone tried or heard of the egg being made with a 3D printer? With every detail of the egg being able to be made exactly as one wants, size of the egg, thickness of the shell, size of the hole, would such an egg not be the most perfect and possibly strongest?

Or not? :)
Izzy Jay, don't believe a 3D printer can make an hollow egg shape. It may have to be made in 2 halves, then glued together. Then they seam made invisible.

All I have seen is very odd colors, being made with 3D printers, has white resin ben created yet?
You can make whatever color you like (as long as you have that color printing material, obviously) or paint after the object is printed. Either way, I guess nobody tried making it yet.
The fact that the egg needs to have a hole makes it somewhat easier to make. Theoretically. Or not. :)
Anyone here on the Cafť got any experience with 3D printing?
These guys make/print some interesting magical items. https://www.3dmagicworks.com maybe I should ask them.
Search in the Workshop topic, there are several people showing what they made. There is a girl who is very knowledgeable with 3D printing. I am sure she can answer any questions you have.
Will do. Thank You.
I've printed an egg with my 3D printer, but not a hollow one. It's easy to modify the design to make it hollow and I think if it prints the egg in a vertical orientation it should be easy to print. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Here's the rendering of the silk to egg. I have a small test print running now. When it looks good I'll run a full size print.
Cool!!! Canít wait to see the finished version!
How thick are you making the shell?
Here it is. It may be too thin. It takes some trial and error to get all the dimensions just right.
I have an entry-level printer and I ran this in "good" mode rather than "excellent" mode. So while this
is not a great specimen it shows that it can be done.
I just pulled it off the printer. It feels strong enough to use. Tomorrow I'll try one on the "excellent" setting and see how it comes out.
And this was made in a single piece. Not two halves glued together. Incredible.
Just a side note. Most of the professional versions have the hole in an oval shape. Easier to work with.
One last picture...
Here's the egg holding an 18" silk.
Looks Awesome!!!!! How does it compare next to a real egg?
I got the height right. My width is a bit narrower.
Oh well, I guess practice makes perfect. :)
But as you said earlier, it just shows that it can be done. With a bit of trial and error, the perfect egg is not that far away. ;)
[quote]On Apr 16, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Izzy Jay, don't believe a 3D printer can make an hollow egg shape. It may have to be made in 2 halves, then glued together. Then they seam made invisible.

All I have seen is very odd colors, being made with 3D printers, has white resin ben created yet? [/quote]

So Bill, what do you think of Oliverís work?
If I wanted to produce realistic eggs for silk to egg I wouldn't use 3D printing. I'd make a silicone mold from a real egg then slush cast it with a compound like Smooth Cast 300. This would give you a hollow egg with virtually no seam. You would just need to drill the hole when the resin cured. Smooth Cast 300 sets in 3 minutes. It turns white when it cures..
Gee! I learned, in 1946, with a celluloid egg. It got by. But, I am impressed!
[quote]On Apr 17, 2018, Izzy Jay wrote:
[quote]On Apr 16, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:

All I have seen is very odd colors, being made with 3D printers, has white resin ben created yet? [/quote]

So Bill, what do you think of Oliverís work? [/quote]

Looks very good, whatever works for you, is the one to go with.
Thanks, Dick. Thanks, Bill.
Back when I got into magic as a youth, the local magic store had a very unique egg for the silk to egg. I was made by Sterling Magic in St. Louis, Mo. I believe. It was a real egg, that had some kind if yellow plastic lining the inside of the shell. Then a white coating over that, in essence 3 layers, a real egg shell, yellow plastic, and then a white layer.

I use that egg for years, until one day I dropped it, and it cracked. Sad to find out, 20 years later, there was no Sterling Magic any longer. So I just made my own out of a plastic egg that came with candy inside. Glued the halves together and filled the seam with puddy. Then spray painted it Egg Shell White. I still have it and use 30 years later.

I also tried a Tenyo Silk to egg, but it was not totally opaque, so I painted it with epoxy paint, but I thought it a little small compared to my home made version.

Some 10 years ago, I heard about [b]TiroFog EGGS-ACTLY[/b] eggs that came with a hole or without a hole. These are made from real eggs, and use a yellow resin on the inside to support the shell. They do not have a white layer, as the old Sterling model did. I ordered a couple, and the resin seems to be sticky, and so I have never used it for the Silk to Egg effect. The instructions say, that the resin may leak through the shell. Some of my shows are done outside in the summer heat. So that is why I have never used this very nice looking egg.

Being this egg has never been mentioned on the Cafť to my knowledge, I thought I would list it, as they are still available, and can be use for Silk to Egg and for the no hole version the Egg Bag.

Martin Lewis recommends this egg for his Sterling Egg Bags, and sells his selected version for use.

Here is the only place that sells all the different version, they do come in various sizes, just as hens lay them.

https://www.magicshopsandiego.com/collections/tirofog

If you like them, give them a try and post your comments.
Those eggs look great. Reasonably priced too.
Olivertwist, yes they are priced to sell, but they use to be $12.50. I thought that place made them, as it is only end source. They were hard to find as only a couple other magic shops/dealers carried them years ago.

They package them in a nice little corrugated cardboard box with flap closure.

Do to one being out of stock, I question if they are the manufacturer at this point. Maybe a local magician making them for them. They did run an ad in the magazines some years back.

Give them a try, they just might be the perfect egg for you.
I wish I had seen them before I ordered silicone mold rubber and casting resin to make my own. Now that I have the materials I might as well make some eggs. It would have been much cheaper to buy those! I wouldn't make eggs to sell if that's all I could get for them.
I like the idea of the printed egg. However I still use the ceramic eggs because in my routines I often actually hand the eggs to the volunteer and they must not only look, but feel and have the right weight of a real egg. For the Walk-Around Silk to Egg routine I think a plastic egg kills the effect.

We ship the ceramic eggs to pros all over the world. Performing in Paris, France, I learned that brown eggs in much of the world are more popular than white ones. (I am glad I had both with me!)
Or if your cheap, buy some pantyhose.
Of course I only use ceramic eggs since I hand them to the volunteer in my Walk-around Silk to Egg routine. But I also use my gimmicked egg instead of a hank ball. It will hold a 24" square silk or 6 of the super soft 2" sponge balls. (I've never had it happen but I'd rather be caught with an egg than a hank ball.)