(Close Window)
Topic: Singularity: Alvo Stockman
Hi,
anyone seen this yet? Sounds a little too good to be true. ;) Impromptu ID deck...
[url]http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1905[/url].
I'd appreciate a review.

Many thanks!
The demo's don't show what it is. I hate when they do that. This could be great or completely bad. I tend to think it can't be that good, if they can not even show a performance of it.
I'd be carefull until I got a review by someone who has it.

ACE
The handling looks "smooth" & direct to the point.
Looks like a winning concept.

Watch the effect - http://vimeo.com/5106873
Well, well. If no card is already face down in the face up deck at the moment the camera eye starts to watch the deck, then YES, it must be very good: it looks indeed as he is just showing the deck face up and revealing that one card was face up. Very smooth if the 'moves' or whatever are done during this moment.

Otherwise, if the video shows the deck after the 'move' or whatever has happened, and then just shows the result, the video is losing most of its interest ("hey look! a card face down in a face up deck! -yes, and?" )

still, interesting idea (non gimmicked ID)
waiting to know more :)

Cheers,

M.
I have the dvd. That video is an actual performance of the effect; the card is not already reversed from the start. Yes, it's that clean.
That video leaves too many questions. Why can't he show the effect from start to finish? Is there something to hide?

ACE
Exactly..too many videos do this on the market these days..shame..ill hang on till someone reviews it in more detail.
Mike Close did the same effect in his "Workers" series.
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 13:40, Acecardician wrote:
That video leaves too many questions. Why can't he show the effect from start to finish? Is there something to hide?

ACE
[/quote]

What do you mean that video leaves too many questions? I just told you it's an actual performance of the effect. The reversed card could have been any card named and it would have played out exactly like that. That is start to finish.
The video link that was given to me to watch was not an actual performance of the effect but the end!
So why are they afraid to show the whole effect from start to finish on the video?

All this shows is the end of the effect.
Anyone can show a card upside down.
How was the selected card selected or decided upon?
How does he introduce the deck? Where do you start with the deck? What does he do with the deck before the card is selected or after it is selected? Is the deck suffled? Is it shuffled after the card is selected? It is shuffled before it is selected? How many times does he have to run through the deck? It is run though right in front of people one time? Does he ever cut the deck? Can it be instantly repeated? How much patter and misdirection does he use? Does he take the deck out the box, or his pocket? Can it be done SURROUNDED. Can you do it standing in the middle of a room with people in a complete circle around you, and above you and under you? Those are just a few questions off the top of my head.

Like I said, Mike Close already did this in his worker series, and you get a whole lot more effects on the DVD than one. And his whole presentation and routine.

This video demo for Singularity shows nothing. I think if we stop buying things without a proper video demo, then maybe they will start making complete videos.

If they give a proper video presentation, then I will take back what I said if it is good. At this point, it shows nothing. I would say you can invest the same amount of money in a DVD that has more than one effect on it.

ACE
True, Michael Close did the same *effect* in his workers series but I doubt the method is the same. Reason being-- the Singularity video (assuming it is truthful) claims "any deck, borrowed, shuffled, can now be invisible."

Close's version is ungimmicked, but his method can definitely NOT use a borrowed and/or shuffled deck.
Good reply acecardician. the video doesn't show anything, hence my reluctance.
newb, how bout doing a full review?..
Why should I make another post when you guys have so blatantly disregarded my first two? Regardless, I've made my review on Penguin's forums. It basically says the same thing, but perhaps you'll believe that post instead.
I just got this myself and can say that what you see in the video posted above is how the effect looks from start to finish. A card is named you go thru the deck and the only card reverse is the one they named. The best view of the effect is shown as well. So to answer some questions

As stated any card is named.

How does he introduce the deck?

Mister Deck meet Audience, Audience meet Mister Deck. Sorry could not resist.

Where do you start with the deck?

Could be in the box or out of the box.

What does he do with the deck before the card is selected or after it is selected?

Nothing.

Is the deck shuffled?

You can borrow the deck. You can hand it out your deck and let someone shuffle them.

How many times does he have to run through the deck?

Once

It is run though right in front of people one time?

What you see in the video is exactly what it looks like.

Does he ever cut the deck?

No

Can it be instantly repeated?

Yes, you can do it again as stated it is a normal deck.

Can it be done SURROUNDED? Can you do it standing in the middle of a room with people in a complete circle around you, and above you and under you?

No, as stated above he gives you the best angle.

One thing, I do want to mention is that it will also take some time to get it to look as good as Alvo does it.

He also goes thru different ways of presenting the effect and gives tips as well.

There is a special guest on the dvd that shows another effect and teaches it.
Cool...
The revelation of the reversed card looks choppy and over handled in the demo. Invisible deck just spreads the cards out and there it is reversed. Is this really as smooth as invisible deck?
It's a preference how you want to spread the cards. You can spread the cards as smooth as you want and you can still do the effect, it will just take more practice.
If it looks choppy in the demo.....
Thanks magico..thats great!
newb..thanks for nothing but attitude, maybe you should stick to penguin as magicians helping magicians doesn't appeal to you?.;).

cheers.
Still - remember. You pay 30 USD to learn a single sleight! Although a great effect I stopped paying 30 USD for a single card sleight. I've seen one-trick-DVDs and stopped buying them, but this is essentially not a one-trick-dvd because most of us have the trick/effect already, this is only a one-sleight-DVD.

Let's get back to the good old days when a DVD had 6 great effects on them for a price of 35 USD. The way we come back to that situation is to refrain from purchasing "one-trick-DVD's"

Go purchase the orignal Iīnvisible deck. The upside here is you don't have to practice, so you save a lot of time that you can invest in the presentation of the effect and save yourself 23 USD.

Sorry Alvo - your technique is brilliant - and the effect is classic. If you put it on 6-trick-dvd I would consider making a purchase.
[quote]
On 2009-07-05 22:33, tdowell wrote:
The revelation of the reversed card looks choppy and over handled in the demo. Invisible deck just spreads the cards out and there it is reversed. Is this really as smooth as invisible deck?
[/quote]

As pointed out by Newb2 you can spread the cards more smoothly and stil do the effect. Alvo points that out on the dvd. He normally spreads the cards as show in the video. I have purchased another effect of his and he spreads them the same in that effect.

Is this really as smooth as a invisible deck? My answer would be no.
Looks cool.

I'll stick with the Invisible Deck.

-Rahat
Do the cards have to be spread from the right hand to the left?
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 22:52, Bryan Swaringen wrote:
Do the cards have to be spread from the right hand to the left?
[/quote]

No, you can spread them from the left hand into the right hand.
[quote]
On 2009-07-03 20:38, Acecardician wrote:
The demo's don't show what it is. I hate when they do that. This could be great or completely bad. I tend to think it can't be that good, if they can not even show a performance of it.

ACE
[/quote]
Agree...i hate the demo video that dosn't show what it is....
Do we have any owners that don't think this is worth the price? I guess I'd pay 30 dlls. for not having to switch my decks in the middle of a performance, and doing the invisible deck with any borrowed deck of cards. In the other hand, if it is not all that practical I would feel robbed. Is this so practical that I would use it all the time? Only if that's the case I'd buy this.
Is anyone using it regularly in a professional show? If so, how is it playing?

ACE
[quote]
On 2009-07-09 00:43, Miraclemakers wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-03 20:38, Acecardician wrote:

ACE
[/quote]
Agree...i hate the demo video that dosn't show what it is....
[/quote]

What you see in the demo is exactly what happens. They name a card, you spread the deck and the card is reversed.
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Jul 9, 2009 02:13PM)
I can hazard a darned good guess as to what is going on from the demo and I think my feel is, if it looks choppy for the creator, its going to take a fair bit of practice to get to something that I would do in preference to the ID.

Great skill though to achieve this with an ungimmicked deck.
Ditto magico.

Received the Singularity DVD 2 days ago (pre-ordered). Simply put, it makes the gimmicked Invisible Deck (which I have always enjoyed) obsolete. After about 3 hours of practice, it's now second nature (and I'm new to magic, but not to performance). The bonus effect itself is worth the price of admission.

You knocked it out of the park again, Alvo.

Congratulations!
[quote]
On 2009-07-05 14:00, magico wrote:
I just got this myself and can say that what you see in the video posted above is how the effect looks from start to finish. A card is named you go thru the deck and the only card reverse is the one they named. The best view of the effect is shown as well. So to answer some questions

As stated any card is named.

How does he introduce the deck?

Mister Deck meet Audience, Audience meet Mister Deck. Sorry could not resist.

Where do you start with the deck?

Could be in the box or out of the box.

What does he do with the deck before the card is selected or after it is selected?

Nothing.

Is the deck shuffled?

You can borrow the deck. You can hand it out your deck and let someone shuffle them.

How many times does he have to run through the deck?

Once

It is run though right in front of people one time?

What you see in the video is exactly what it looks like.

Does he ever cut the deck?

No

Can it be instantly repeated?

Yes, you can do it again as stated it is a normal deck.

Can it be done SURROUNDED? Can you do it standing in the middle of a room with people in a complete circle around you, and above you and under you?

No, as stated above he gives you the best angle.

One thing, I do want to mention is that it will also take some time to get it to look as good as Alvo does it.

He also goes thru different ways of presenting the effect and gives tips as well.

There is a special guest on the dvd that shows another effect and teaches it.
[/quote]

Excellent summation. I mean that and I believe everything you say. But I do have one question.

Are angles a problem? Because if he's doing what I think he's doing, they have to be.
Ok after all the posts I am convinced what I see is exactly what happens.
But he is only doing the climax of the effect. I think a better complete presentation would have sold this better.
Anyway. My question stands, is anyone who works a lot using this regularly and what are the spectators saying?
What RNadeau said has me very interested. It sounds like the first review of someone who actually mastered it. At my skill level I should be able to get it in one night. Tonight I worked a 2 hour walk around and did ID all night. I never once had anyone worry about having to give them the deck. And no one ever has decks to borrow. I do another opening with one deck, put in in my pocket and tell a joke, then go into the invisible and pull out the ID from the same pocket for the climax. Never ever had a problem. I'm inclined not to fix something that is not broken. And ID is so sure fire.
How sure fire is this? Under pressure, broad day light, with executives surrounding you? And can you do 2 cards? Tonight I had someone play along and say they saw the card and it was different than the one the person picked, so I showed them that one also, just for fun!

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I might just have to get this and see for myself. I wonder if Hocus Pocus has it?

ACE
You're right. Most people don't carry around a deck of cards :), and deck switches are that simple. I echo your question though: Is anyone out there performing this successfully?, and how are the reactions compared to the ID? We might just need to be patient. :) It would still be nice if this move was such a development in magic that made ID obsolete. Would spectators "feel" there's some unusual handling going on?
While I'm not doubting RNadeau, I think it's safe to say that most people will not have this anywhere close to down in 2 hours. It's not that easy.
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 00:30, Acecardician wrote:
But he is only doing the climax of the effect. I think a better complete presentation would have sold this better.
Anyway. My question stands, is anyone who works a lot using this regularly and what are the spectators saying?
What RNadeau said has me very interested. It sounds like the first review of someone who actually mastered it. At my skill level I should be able to get it in one night. Tonight I worked a 2 hour walk around and did ID all night. I never once had anyone worry about having to give them the deck. And no one ever has decks to borrow. I do another opening with one deck, put in in my pocket and tell a joke, then go into the invisible and pull out the ID from the same pocket for the climax. Never ever had a problem. I'm inclined not to fix something that is not broken. And ID is so sure fire.
How sure fire is this? Under pressure, broad day light, with executives surrounding you? And can you do 2 cards? Tonight I had someone play along and say they saw the card and it was different than the one the person picked, so I showed them that one also, just for fun!

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I might just have to get this and see for myself. I wonder if Hocus Pocus has it?

ACE
[/quote]

It's 100% surefire if you are confident in pulling off the sleight. Best angles are from the angle in the video or spectator looking down or close in front of you. Obviously there is a move you need to execute to get the card reversed. Not as angle friendly as the original, but that's pretty much all you sacrifice. With enough practice and at the proper angles, it looks exactly the same as the original.
[quote]
On 2009-07-09 22:38, RNadeau wrote:
Ditto magico.

Received the Singularity DVD 2 days ago (pre-ordered). Simply put, it makes the gimmicked Invisible Deck (which I have always enjoyed) obsolete. After about 3 hours of practice, it's now second nature (and I'm new to magic, but not to performance). The bonus effect itself is worth the price of admission.

You knocked it out of the park again, Alvo.

Congratulations!
[/quote]

It's ok with me if the sleight takes 20 or 40 hours as long as the effect is clean when performed.

One question though. Can you briefly describe the bonus effect - what's the magic that happens there?
Bonus effect is taught by a special guest (whom I will not mention but he is a very well-known magician). It's pretty much a mem-deck trick. Keep in mind a mem-deck is not needed for Singularity, but the dvd does explore the topic a bit.
From the trailer, I would expect the reactions to be similar to the traditional ID handling. The main advantage of Singularity seems to be that you don't need to carry a gaffed deck around or switch a new deck in or out.

But over the last twenty years or so, many variations have come out to the original ID handling to address the perception of the audience that you are simply turning over a card through slight of hand. The fact that so many magicians have sought to address this "deficiency" in the original handling suggests that it has been a problem for many -- lessening a sense of true magic into a demonstration of "fast hands." The ID allows you to show that the reversed card is different than the other visible cards, thereby negating slight of hand. Most of the people I see performing now do it this way. In short, the ID handing has evolved to a more impossible effect. But Singularity takes a step backward in the presentation.

So while Singularity might allow you to do something approaching the original ID handling, I still believe the ID would allow for a more impressive effect to most. If carrying the extra deck or switching it in is an issue, however, then Sigularity would seem to fill that need.
And it should be mentioned that the bonus effect includes a stack that can be learned in literally a couple of minutes that will allow you to know the position of any card and the card at any position without any calculations and almost nothing that could be called "memory work" either. At first I thought it was a somewhat dumb idea that must have been "created" by numerous people since playing cards were invented. But the longer I sat on the idea, the more clever it seemed to me. And now I think it's pretty smart, which makes sense given the person who is presenting it (who is something of a legend in close-up magic).

It may seem self-serving for me to talk up this DVD considering I'm selling my copy in the for sale section. But I'm only selling it because I ordered it 6 months ago when it first came up for pre-order and I have since then implemented a policy of hanging on to only a handful of magic books and DVDs. And while I think the ideas on this DVD are very good, it's not something I personally will be putting my time into perfecting. (Not that I have to explain myself to you. Get off my back, punk.)

So this is a genuine endorsement (my integrity isn't worth much, but I value it slightly more than the $17 I'm selling this for). I think the invisible deck routine, variations, and the bonus routine on this DVD are well worth the $30, especially if you don't already have something similar with an ungimmicked deck in your arsenal.
[quote]
On 2009-07-10 00:30, Acecardician wrote:

ACE
[/quote]

ACE, the angles are a little tricky. Using a slight variation of Alvo's technique, I was able to get the reverse down in about 3 hours (newb2, there is always room for improvement. I'm no different.) The move is one thing; the angles another. They can be tricky. That definitely requires more work.

What I really like about Singularity over the gimmicked ID deck (and don't get me wrong, I have a lot of fun with the gimmicked ID and good reactions) is that I can borrow a deck from anyone or hand out my deck for thorough inspection before going into the routine (Richard Osterlind's "Cancellation Principle".

"Robaire"
Good info, thanks.

ACE
What are the reactions of singularity?
Exactly the same reactions that for the ID. Exactly.

Someone was asking if the spread is as smooth as the ID. My answer is that it doesnīt matter, laypeople wonīt say: I saw other magicican and he spreads the cards more smoothly. Your reaction as I said it is going to be the same.
I am a worker and I love singluarity, I can ask my audience to handle the deck and to shuffle it, I like that, I like to know I donīt have to carry other deck, I love I can do this effect now wherever I want, I love I can fool some magicians that donīt know this existed, but let me resume, for lay people, this is exactly, the same effect as an ID. Your choice.

Best,
Pablo
Pablo, great review, as I like "moves" I am just about ready to get this.
Thanks to all for answering my questions and letting me know what's up. I can do the Svengalli and the blank deck with a regular deck. Now all I need is this, and then I will be a one deck man! The idea is great, and has been around for a while, but this seems to be the way to go. I don't like Mike Closes method.
I hope it is not like that. When I do ID for walk around, after corporate executives see it they run and get the president of the company and make me do it for them. And my hands get burned like you would not believe. So that is why I like ID so much. But maybe I can do Singularity, and if I need to follow up, I can use ID. Until I see where I can do it with enough confidence to not get caught.

ACE
You say any card?
You say no cut?
If it's a kind of cull and reverse what happens if the named card is 1st or 2nd on top or bottom of the deck?
Really any card? Really not cut?
I suppose that my main concern isn't about mastering the turnover of the card, but rather finding the location of the selection in a borrowed, shuffled deck. I'd have to see an unedited demo of the effect, using a borrowed deck that was well shuffled by a spectator. It just sounds too good to be true.
[quote]
On 2009-07-20 16:45, Alan Munro wrote:
I suppose that my main concern isn't about mastering the turnover of the card, but rather finding the location of the selection in a borrowed, shuffled deck. I'd have to see an unedited demo of the effect, using a borrowed deck that was well shuffled by a spectator. It just sounds too good to be true.
[/quote]

I don't get it
you don't shuffle the cards using invisble deck...
[quote]
On 2009-07-20 16:51, Suux88 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I don't get it
you don't shuffle the cards using invisble deck...
[/quote]
I'm talking about Singularity, not the Invisible Deck. The topic hasn't been changed.
[quote]
On 2009-07-17 09:23, yif wrote:
You say any card?
You say no cut?
If it's a kind of cull and reverse what happens if the named card is 1st or 2nd on top or bottom of the deck?
Really any card? Really not cut?
[/quote]

Nobody said that is the method. Rather than fish, why not just purchase the dvd. IMHO, it is very good.
[quote]
[/quote]

As people have repeatedly stated, what you see in the video is exactly what the spec sees. The demo is unedited. The only thing that could be considered 'missing' from the video would be a spectator simply telling Alvo the thought of card at the beginning of the demo.
And yes, with some practice, you will be able to find the selection in a borrowed, shuffled deck.
Anyone want to sell theirs used but in good working order?
pm me.

ACE
I'd hazzard to guess that this looks super clean, just because it's Alvo.

I'll be picking this one up.
Okay, I'm getting ready to order one new from Penguin. I'll post after I get it and tried it out.

ACE
Thanks everyone for your interest, I'm happy to answer any questions about Singularity.

ACE,

Sounds like your hands get burned when you perform. With enough practice, you have less to worry about with Singularity than with the gimmicked deck (especially with grabby spectators - since it's a regular deck).

Also, this week I will be posting a supplementary video with a few extra tips that I forgot to include on the DVD that make it easier and more bullet-proof while you're still improving your technique.

Finally, after watching the DVD if you're interested I'm happy to have a short Skype video-consultation with you.

Alvo
I got it! While I can do it after the first night, I am far from being able to do it for the public. It is just going to take a lot of practice. Just one of the things to do every time a pick up a deck of cards, which is every day! I'm pretty happy with it. While not something you can perform right out of the starting line, I knew this going in, and am happy to practice. If I can do one hand faro's and raise-rise, this is going to be easy.

I don't have grabby spectators. Not since I was a teenager. And that was a long time ago, lol. Now when I work corporate gigs, I walk from group to group repeating the same material over and over. So I sometimes have the ones who follow me and 'burn' my hands. They are trying to see if I turn it over. I try to do something different when I remember them, but sometimes I just have to do ID again. That is why ID is good, and Singularity should also be good for repeat performances.

ACE
Who's Alvo? Never heard of him so I wont buy.
[quote]
On 2009-08-03 03:07, in flames wrote:
[/quote]

Go to penguinmagic.com and you can see some his stuff and videos. One does not have to be a big name to put something good out. And there are some "big names" that I refuse to buy their stuff for many reasons. So far Alvo is a very likable person, and accessible, as seen in his post above. That is very important in my opinion. Some of these other "big names" make themselves not accessible to someone like me who works magic full time, enough to help support originators because I work so much. Magic is also my hobby and passion, and I continually buy lots of new magic stuff every few days.

I did ask a lot of questions early in this thread, and they were answered to my satisfaction, so I bought this. I gave my review above. I forgot to say the more I watched Alvo, the more I liked the guy, he grows on you. He is one of the modern day "thinkers". I don't have time to think with my hectic show schedule, so I depend on guys like this to supply me with cutting edge magic for my public. Even all the TV magicians had a creative team to invent them new Illusions. I'm talking as far back as mark Wilson and Doug Henning. I'll be looking forward to more of Alvo's releases.

ACE
This trick is not for me. Anyone interested in buying my watched once used copy?
[quote]
[/quote]

Glad no one ever applied that theory to Vernon, Marlo, Slydini, Malone, Williamson, Sankey, etc.
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 11:10, Jeff Corn wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Glad no one ever applied that theory to Vernon, Marlo, Slydini, Malone, Williamson, Sankey, etc.
[/quote]

Who are they? :)
Too bad they didn't actually then I could have all of the good stuff for myself.
[quote]
On 2009-08-16 00:55, Acecardician wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 11:10, Jeff Corn wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who are they? :)
[/quote]

What is a vernon, a marlo?
Anyone else gotten this? Is it really worth it?
A friend showed it to me and when done by him it looked just like Cull and Marlo reverse done under the spread but I didn't bother asking the details. Sleight of hand will never be able to top the gimmicked version. No matter how much someone tryes, it just cant be topped PERIOD =)

Juha-Matti
I think I will take a shot at this.
[quote]
On 2009-08-24 19:46, korttihai_82 wrote:
A friend showed it to me and when done by him it looked just like Cull and Marlo reverse done under the spread but I didn't bother asking the details. Sleight of hand will never be able to top the gimmicked version. No matter how much someone tryes, it just cant be topped PERIOD =)

Juha-Matti
[/quote]

I have been practicing Singularity for about a week now and I'm getting better with every practice (it does get easier and easier - don't give up).

For those who use Singularity:

Will my presentation ALWAYS look just like a Cull and Marlo reverse done under the spread?, or are those who have put the practice time in, frying spectators? Is this worth the time I'm putting in? Will this pay off?

Curtis
I always thought one of the hardest part was finding the card in the first place