(Close Window)
Topic: First Chop Cup Suggestions?
I've been focusing so much on my stage act that I've been neglecting my close up work and would love to get back into it.
Can anyone give suggestions for good chop cups as well as any recommendations for DVDs to help me in this area? I've never worked with a chop cup before...it's gimmicked in some way though, correct?
Thanks for any advice you might have!
Andrew
Ickle pickle makes some nice looking ones.

http://www.magiclegacy.net/servlet/Detail?no=165
http://www.magiclegacy.net/servlet/Detail?no=166
For your first chop cup, the actual cup is not as important as you might think. The Morrissey cups are good first cups.

Once you have developed a routine and figured out what you want to do with it, then go for one of the better chop cups -- RnT II, Riser, Sherwood, etc.
The Ron Wilson/Larry Jennings routine is as good as it gets.
Thanks for the ideas!
Also, check out the immense number of chop cups from the past and present at http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com .

You will need a username and password. Just follow the instructions on the first page, and the curator will send you a username and password within 24 hours.
I've browsed the site very briefly before but never really delved into it, so I will check it out. It's a very cool idea!
Practically any cup will work, it's the routine that makes it. Check Ron Wilson's in his book, "The Uncanny Scot" - he makes his from a paper coffee cup.

Not a chop cup, but well worth study:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ic9qpdN478
L & L's DVD of The Chop Cup features routines by Davis Regal, John Mendoza, Gary Ouellet, Danny Tong, Steve Dacri, Jim Swain, and Larry Jennings. Just remember, however, that the cup doesn't HAVE to looks like a magician's prop.
There is a version you can get from Jedinat Zaubershop called Kaffee-Wette. It works with just about ANY coffee mug.

It's very slick. The instructions are German, but once you see the gaff, you will understand intuitively how it works.

Also, get the Ron Bauer book about Don Alan's Chop Cup routine. If you can't find one, let me know. I may have an extra copy around. I think I may have Don's DVD, as well.
Bill,

Do you have website information on Jedinat Zaubershop?

Perhaps an English version, even?

KG
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jul 18, 2009 04:15PM)
Andrew,

I'll second http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/ too. The curator is a great guy, although I am surprised he hasn't kicked me out as I spend far too much time in there....

Bri
[quote]
On 2009-07-18 16:53, kentfgunn wrote:
Bill,

Do you have website information on Jedinat Zaubershop?

Perhaps an English version, even?

KG
[/quote]

Hi Kent -

Here's a link to Jedinat Zaubershop's effect that Bill mentioned above:

http://www.jedinat-zaubershop.de/shop/show/show_pr/en/Demo-Video/Close-up/Die-Kaffeewette/~kid190/~tplprodukt_1/~prid1802.htm

dc
Thanks for all of the info! I went down to Hollywood Magic today and picked up a silver cup that looks roughly like what Jim Swain uses in his routine that I caught on YouTube in an L&L video segment. Large enough to take a baseball as a final load.
Now to work on a good routine for it!

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 11:49pm
So I've been working with the chop cup since I got home (I know, it's only been a few hours) and my problem is that in order to get the ball to come out I need to basically slam the cup down onto my close up pad to make it happen. It seems like it's completely obvious when I'm doing it because I have to put the cup down so hard it makes it look like I'm angry or something.
Any ideas on how to fix that?
Do a search in the Secret Sessions section. There is a lot on chop cups gaffs and balls there...
This thread will help:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=267160&forum=37

This thread will help with adjustments:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=196667&forum=37 The info you need is near the bottom of the thread.
Thanks for the advice! Clearly I'm new to how these babies work.
The tips were certainly helpful in making the magic happen. Now to figure out how to get the thing to wind up in a shot glass...that's only working about 5% of the time ;)
I don't like using the shot glass, it makes for too much to carry.
It also seems a bit extraneous too.
Just my opinion though.
I'm still playing around with the idea. I'm not too concerned about carrying it around since I have plenty of space in my case and I like having a few different options.
Coincidentally it's a London Underground shot glass...my girlfriend went to Uni in Leeds. I spent quite a bit of time there!
Too much to carry? The shot glass goes inside the cup.
That was my thinking, Pete.
Andrew, any chance you can come to the Magic Castle for lunch next Friday and go over some things?
Andrew,
I went to Uni in Leeds, small world!
Andrew:

If Pete Biro invited me to meet him at the Magic Castle to talk over things about the chop cup, I would head out there post haste.
I looked for a way to go faster than post haste; unfortunately that was the quickest I could make it, so I have gratefully accepted the invite.
Tom - whereabouts in Leeds are you? She's now back in Newcastle but we go down every so often to see friends around there when I'm in town.
Andrew,

I live in Yeadon.
Are you in the UK often?
Ken Brooke was from Leeds. I love the Northern Accent.
I go out that way about four times a year. She's actually flying in from the UK this evening (hasn't been in the states in over a year!) but I'll go back out that way in October.
You'll be able to soak up that northern accent on Friday, Pete. She's definitely got that happening :)
My accent is slightly more Northern than Leeds!
Get my 'FoldCup' at No Charge and construct your own Chop Cup on the fly. Even if you don't perform it, the moves and sleights could change that way you handle any Cup. 'Scout Around' will also expand your horizons as you can add or remove a m*g**t on the run, or perform with no gaff at all. 'ChopSign' is also available when you get some experience with your new Cup.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jul 25, 2009 06:08AM)
Slightly eh Tom ;)

Well I'm a stones throw from Leeds but have a Lincolnshire accent...
I was in the convenience store yesterday and picked up a can of Pringles, just to see what the ingredients really were. I was wearing my PK ring, noticed the effect on the bottom of the can and bought the can.

Now I have a very innocent looking dice stacking cup that can also be used as a chop cup. They come in three sizes, I think the two smaller sizes will work just fine.
Andrew: After our visit and working with 'your' chop cup... this morning I thought the following. Get a small brass bowl and 3 sponge balls and work on the Benson Bowl routine. I'll even give you a nice bowl if you want and a session to learn a good routine. Then you will never have the kind of problems with most chop cups.
Is the problem the strenght of the cup's pull? One should never have to slam the cup to preform a chop cup routine... It should require finesse, not brute force.
Slam and bounce up. The balls are kind of rubbery. I suggeset trying some other make balls. As well as work with a bowl routine.
Where's that routine published, Pete? I'm not familiar with it. I'll happily take the brass bowl off your hands though :)
I published a version based on the Rezvani Tomato Trick, much like the Benson Bowl routine with Johnny Thompson's misdirection for the big finish.
I'll certainly need to look into that one!