(Close Window)
Topic: Monti Cups
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jul 18, 2009 07:43AM)
You know I have missed out on a couple of Monti sets lately... Now I know who's been buying them all up! ;)

Bruce has worked out a great comparison of 3 different Monti sets which I thought I would like to share with you all....
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Monti-Comparison.html

The Monti are a much loved design and a classic and it's nice to see 3 sets side by side....

Thanks Bruce!

Bri
:cups:
Nice write up.

Thanks to Bruce for writing it, and to Bri for sharing it here.

I have two sets of Monti's; one in stainless steel and the other in copper. The copper cups are my favorite of the sets. Interesting to note that, as Bruce mentioned the cups can be stacked interchangeably, however there is a slight difference in final load size between my sets of these cups. The copper cups accommodate a slightly larger load than do the stainless. Bruce, have you noticed this with your Monti's?

Best,

dc
Glad to see you're enjoying those stainless steel Monties, Bruce!
Just to F.Y your I. There is a set of steel R&T cups up on ebay just now. Now that I think of it these are Bells of St.M, not Monty proper. please disregard.

P
Bells of St. Mary's ARE Monti cups. The set on eBay is an original set of BOSM.

The BOSM originally were steel, chrome plated cups. They are as tough as nails. I have a set that I have owned since the 1970's, as well as a set that belonged to Mike Rogers. Mike Brazill debuted these at Magic in the Rockies. When Earl Reum saw them, he said, "They sound like the Bells of St. Mary's", and the name stuck.

Before then, they were just called "Chrome Plated Steel Monti" cups.

BTW, it is "Monti," for Harry Monti, not "Monte," as in Three Card Monte, or "Monty," as in "The Full Monty."
Bri,
thanks for putting this up.

Bruce,
thanks for another great review.
Of all the original Monti cups, the Bells of St. Mary's are my favourites. A lot of heft to these cups and a great sound to them.

Fortasse
The irony of this, for me, is that I had these cups in my box of "goodies I don't think I'll get rid of" before I really got serious about collecting cups.

To tell the truth, the Monti cups are a much better cup than the Paul Fox cup as far as load capacity. It is just a tiny bit larger, which means that you don't have to fuss too much about lacrosse balls. Harry Monti, who designed the Monti cups, told me that there was a particular red sponge rubber ball that he designed the cups around, not the lacrosse ball.
I just got back in town, DC James thanks for reading the review and yes if the lacrosse ball is pushed into the stainless Cups it will stick a little… nothing setting them down hard won’t fix.

Ethan, yes I am enjoying the stainless Cups a lot, thanks for parting with them.

Bill, one day I hope to have a set of Bells of St Mary’s Cups to round out my collection. I just received the remainder of my RNT2 orders. Included was a set of PF Cups… so I can’t wait to get home tonight and use them.

Best wishes,
Bruce
Bill :

How did they get that copper on the Original Monti's to look so gorgeous and to remain tarnish-free all through the years. Amazing, isn't it? I don't think I've seen another set of copper cups with a more attractive hue. Reminds me of the colour of an Irish Setter, only more luminous. (The mini/mid Morrissey cups are this way too).

Fortasse
[quote]
On 2009-07-20 17:55, fortasse wrote:
Reminds me of the colour of an Irish Setter, only more luminous.
[/quote]

Those Setters don't nest well, but they do a great two-ball display ;)
Touche!
[quote]
On 2009-07-20 17:55, fortasse wrote:
Bill :

How did they get that copper on the Original Monti's to look so gorgeous and to remain tarnish-free all through the years. Amazing, isn't it? I don't think I've seen another set of copper cups with a more attractive hue. Reminds me of the colour of an Irish Setter, only more luminous. (The mini/mid Morrissey cups are this way too).

Fortasse
[/quote]

That was the special Magi-Poxy finish. Lots of polishing and then a special process of application. The finish probably can't be used any more because of the EPA. Old P&L cups had a similar finish, but not as durable.
Bill, what was on your head (in your avatar) before the Sherwood cup? It has been so long I cannot remember.

Was it a pointed hat?
Yes, it was a pointed hat.