(Close Window)
Topic: Electronics for Magicians
This is a new book from the author of Naked Mentalism,Jon 'Tomo'Thompson.

At 8,99 and 64 pages it is a steal!

What is it?

Well, it is a brilliantly understated (as only the Brits can do) and in many ways subversive book about how to make your own electronic devices for magic and mentalism.

Tomo takes you through the basic components, circuits, safety,and how to solder, and then shows you a few projects to make.

The possibilities that emerge from this book are astounding...antiques, boxes, wands, you name it, can be used and combined with the knowledge in this book, and you do not need a degree in electronic engineering!

http://stores.lulu.com/booksbytomo
This sounds right up may alley. I am currently producing a few electronic items myself. Would be good to know a bit more info on what the projects are (without revealing too much of course).

Luke
The ebook is a toolkit, so you get taken through the ins and outs of how to create the items that you'll put into boxes, torches, pens etc...but you do get the plans on how to make a special kind of pen or wand, a cueing device and a torch effect...

see the ebook as teaching you how to fish, rather than being given an overcooked cod..
I prefer haddock...

Peace & Love

Matt
Ah ok, sounds very similar to Lebanon Circle's 'Compendium of Bizarre Magic'. May have to pick this up anyways though... Thanks Iain.

Luke
It is nothing like the compendium, it is a step by step primer...
Thanks for the review chaps.

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works. It'll have all kinds of useful gadgets in it: a metal detector, range finder, sound-activated trigger, to name but three, plus yet more strange, interesting but above all useful components. And no, you won't have had to have read Volume I or have a degree in electronic engineering to understand it. Just build and go perform miracles!
I have to say I really love the concept behind this document and I've been looking forward to its release for a long while now.
Now it's here and it's just as brilliant as I expected it to be.
Great work Jon - nicely written, photographs and diagrams aplenty, and above all else, very, very interesting to read.
This book gets your head spinning with ideas for effects (well it has mine anyway!). It truly is inspirational. Many times in the past I've thought I wish there was a specific device available to do this or that, the idea of being able to make one for myself now is awesome.

I should also mention that Jon's instructions and explanations are very clear and easy to follow. I've read a few books on beginning electronics and I've yet to come across one that doesn't bombard you almost immediately with words the author seems to've forgotten you don't actually know yet. Not the case here at all - kudos for that, Jon.

In short, I love this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's anything else out there like it? Not to my knowledge at least. So I think I can say, it's probably about time!

Cheers
[quote]
On 2009-07-28 07:25, Jon_Thompson wrote:

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works.
[/quote]

Well I don't wish to hurry you mate, but, hurry up! LOL
I'll have to check it out.
[quote]On 2009-07-29 16:27, Paul Spaniels wrote:
[quote]

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works.
[/quote]

Well I don't wish to hurry you mate, but, hurry up! LOL[/quote]
I hear you. There's also another volume of Naked Mentalism on the way.
I bought it. It appears to be well worth the $$$ for the information, as DrTodd stated. Now lets see if I burn my workshop down trying to build something ;-)

Dave Birtwell
I enjoyed this book thoroughly! I have never been much into using electronics, but this book has persuaded me not only to consider using them but building my own electronic tools. I've already started building one of the projects. I can't wait until the second installment comes out!
Thanks for the continued kind words. I'm truly blown away by the reception this ebook has had.

If anyone has any questions or problems to do with using electronics in magic or mentalism, just drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help.
This is a good e-book that shows step by step how to build some useful tools.
Hey, I have one question. Does it tell us to build an electronic device that has already exists or even the method is completely new??
[quote]
On 2009-08-28 08:58, Silvio wrote:
Hey, I have one question. Does it tell us to build an electronic device that has already exists or even the method is completely new??
[/quote]
In writing this ebook, I tried to keep the tools as generic and away from what's already on the market as possible.
Hey, I would like to know if it teaches you to make an device that's already exist(the concept) or it is something new?
I'am glad you've reviewed this ebook it sounds grate, I'll be picking this up soon.
[quote]On 2009-08-29 07:01, ZoiyaKumar wrote:
Hey, I would like to know if it teaches you to make an device that's already exist(the concept) or it is something new?[/quote]
Well, the first volume shows you the basic components, what they do and how they might be used, then goes on to build several modules that use classic principles that you can use in different ways, and finally presents some full projects. The second volume will present a whole series of modules for you to slot together to create your own functionality. Again, however, there'll be nothing difficult about any of it. I do all the theory and work out the values so that you don't.
Are all the components readily available, like at Radio Shack?
[quote]On 2009-08-30 19:33, slyhand wrote:
Are all the components readily available, like at Radio Shack?[/quote]
Yup. I designed everything to use only absolutely industry standard components. They make millions if not billions of each component every year. None of this stuff is going to become unavailable.
I would not hesitate to purchase this if you have even a remote (pardon the pun) interest in electronics. This is exactly what I needed, and has stimulated a multitude of ideas! Brilliant!

The most useful ebook I have purchased in a loooong time.

Luke
What a great e(book). I have been interested in this area of mentalism for a month now, and this explains and covers everything I hoped it would and more. I'm on page 19 and have already come up with 4 different routines in my mind that I can now create! I have minimal electronic knowledge and all of this is covered as well.

Thanks Mr. Thompson!
Looking forward to part 2-
Can someone list the contents on what it tells you how to make?
[quote]On 2009-10-07 15:57, lil_magic wrote:
Can someone list the contents on what it tells you how to make?
[/quote]
The table of contents is in the online preview, but briefly, the demo projects are a PK device to detect an embedded neo, an updated version of Corinda/Anneman's Moonlight Madness signalling device, and a gaff to "haunt" a torch. The thing is, it's about more than the end projects. I introduce standard electronic components but from a magician's point of view, rather than that of an electronics student, so there's no boring theory, just practical applications.

Book 2 is ALL projects. ;)
Looking forward to vol 2. if your interested. ill let you in on my bluetooth clipboard if you can help with producing software for it.
Bravo - Bravo -- more, more!!!
[quote]
On 2009-11-29 23:54, chmara wrote:
Bravo - Bravo -- more, more!!!
[/quote]
Thank you very much! I'm working very hard to make volume two as useful as possible.
When, When? (LOL)
[quote]
On 2009-12-09 14:07, chmara wrote:
When, When? (LOL)
[/quote]
Well, it'll be after Christmas. Hopefully February.
[quote]

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works. It'll have all kinds of useful gadgets in it: a metal detector, range finder, sound-activated trigger, to name but three, plus yet more strange, interesting but above all useful components.
[/quote]
Metal detector? Would that be suitable for Anverdi's "Surprise box"? (I belive that some of the electronic effects in the Anverdi book are in need of an update).

To everyone else: I bought Volume 1 a few days ago, and I recommend it highly. You [b]need[/b] to get it more than any book on any other genre, because this is the only one of its kind. If you are not interested in the topic, buy it anyway and give it to a friend or some promising young magician - to support and ensure that more of this knowledge get into print.
I know that I will buy more copies, to give to fellow magicians as christmas gifts.

I recommend this ebook over my own ebooks. :)
I have always been interested in electronics when used for magical effects. Tony Anverdi was one of my heros. I especially loved his version of the Amazing Card Dog trick. The one where you have a card selected and lost in the deck. Cards are dealt into a box in front of the dog and he starts barking when you are about to deal the card you selected. It is a gem!

Recently I had a local magician tinkerer and electronic wiz to make me a trick that functions like the Anverdi trick. It is marvelous - and since you can't get an Anverdi trick any more - this is very special to have one that works so well. If you are interested in having this fellow build you an "Anverdi Dog" trick or some other custom electronic piece - toy can give him an eMail. His name is Todd Cox and his eMail address is:
tcox634@hotmail.com. He will do a good job for you. I am completely satisfied with my dog and am so glad that I can do the Anverdi effect in my close-up act.
Do you have any pics Rhettbryson of the Anverdi dog?
Jon - How's the second book coming along?
[quote]
On 2010-06-07 12:23, billfromoregon wrote:
Jon - How's the second book coming along?
[/quote]
Slowly. My laptop's disk went kaput and I lost a lot of notes I thought were covered by the backup job. But the project was becoming unwieldy and needed cutting back. Plus I'm under serious pressure to finish Naked Mentalism 3, so I'm doing a bit on each book early each morning, doing my "day" job - I'm a feature writer - and designing and building hardware when I can.

Busy, busy, busy! I'll get there, though.
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Jun 13, 2010 10:23AM)
Jon 'Tomo' Thompson latest work Electronics for Magicians is "BRILLIANT" and a must own for every student of the art of building you own electronics props. This work is a steal at the twice price.

Bill Montana

I have a working knowledge of electronics and this work helped me understand some of the earlier works on the subject that were interesting but not always clear.

Can't wait for Volume 2....

This work is 10/10
Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to say that the first part of the second volume of Electronics for Magicians is finished and available!

The sheer amount of work involved has made it impractical to produce the entire thing in one go, so I've opted to publish it in parts. This first one contains some very sensitive modules for detecting things like sound and human touch, as well as modules for producing timed outputs and controlling external equipment. There's also a very useful heating element to build for all you flash paper users. I show how to put these modules together to create effects and everything is fully illustrated.

Click on my sig below for a free preview. Enjoy!

P.S: It's been so long in the making that I've forgotten who I promised free or review copies to. Please get in touch to remind me what we were talking about, but don't take the mickey and try to blag a freebie.
I've just bought Volume 2. Highly recommended!

There exists almost no litterature on this topic, so even if you are not interested in electronic magic, buy it anyway and give it as a gift to someone who might be - as it might encourage the writing of a third volume.
[quote]
On 2011-01-18 00:02, TStone wrote:
I've just bought Volume 2. Highly recommended!

There exists almost no litterature on this topic, so even if you are not interested in electronic magic, buy it anyway and give it as a gift to someone who might be - as it might encourage the writing of a third volume.
[/quote]
I'm already compiling notes for the third volume (actually volume 2 part 2).
[quote]
On 2011-01-18 00:02, TStone wrote:
There exists almost no litterature on this topic, ...
[/quote]

That is true. One who did publish electronic ideas for magicians was Claude Klingsor. See for example his "Miracles of Modern Magic" http://www.lybrary.com/miracles-modern-magic-p-2023.html (We are also working on a translation of a much bigger book on electronics from him.)

I also remember electronics in the long running but now discontinued German magazine "Zauberkunst".
Part 2 of Volume 2 of Electronics for Magicians will be out this spring. As soon as Subversive Circuits launches Hydra and it goes into external production, I'll have some time to concentrate on this. I'm really looking forward to it.
If anyone has any questions or suggestions for part 2, please get in touch. I don't bite.
REVIEW: Electronics for Magicians

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=238793#Post238793

Tom Frame
Well I have had some time to peruse Part 1 of Volume 2 (already have Number 1) and feel I have been building a magical support skill for invention and building I had neglected too long because I did not want to build a TV -- or robot -- or endless "bell circuits" on direct switches. These volumes are practical and well directed to guide magicians into projects that, when put together with bizarre or real life props, can allow the crafty and even hobby level magician make some pretty sophisticated stuff.

I would like some circuits for remote or coded triggers in RF even if parts require buying pocket sized trrigger switches. Also -- intergrated with remote trigger (RF), a build up to economical delivery of 12 volt power to things like an electronic expanding auto antenna (think raising snake) --- and maybe some work with super electromagnets in miniature.

While I use some IR in my work -- I do not like it for portable stuff -- as often the hide of a trigger leaves little possibility of even reflected IR reaching a sensor -- and often bounce can trigger multiple effects when only one is needed for a particular sequence. (My timing is horrible because I ad lib too much for timer circuits.)

Then there is the matter of delivering "safe" heat to Woods metal.

PMs???
Gregg, drop me a PM.
REVIEW: Electronics for Magicians 2, Part 1

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=239126#Post239126

Tom Frame
Lulu is having a birthday sale. Use promotion code HAPPYUK305 until 21st February for 25% off Electronics for Magicians and any of the other stuff on Lulu.
Electronics for Magicians 2 - Part 2 is shaping up very nicely. This time, we're delving into all things electromagnetic, which covers a wide spectrum (a little electronics joke there).

We show how to create and judge the strength of electromagnets you can use with the power output module from the previous instalment. We show how to build a module to detect special infra red signals to create a proximity detector. We even show you how to build a very sensitive module to detect magnetic fields. But the jewel in the crown is the chapter on radio. We show how to create an AM transmitter for all your spooky EVP needs before moving on to show how to remotely control props.

It's due out before the end of August 2011.
And it's out!
Are you doing a deal for people that buy both?
That's an excellent idea. I've been given an Author Spotlight page at Lulu, and I think I can bundle things. Let me get that sorted out and I'll report back.
Nice one Jon.

I'll be your first customer :)
Gah! It turns out that you can't bundle items and offer a discount. In fact, the author spotlight pages are rather restrictive. However, Lulu are having a sale at the moment. They're offering 20% off each item when you enter the discount code SINKUK305 on checkout. Valid until the end of Sunday 14th August 2011. That's a pretty good deal.
I Love these, Its got loads of info,from the basics!
Message: Posted by: StreetWalkinCheeta (Aug 17, 2017 11:03PM)
Just joined a Makers group and really looking forward to diving into all three books. Great stuff.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2017, StreetWalkinCheeta wrote:
Just joined a Makers group and really looking forward to diving into all three books. Great stuff. [/quote]

Very Late to the party on this one but S.W.C ... If you are out there do you have any info on the "Makers Group" you can share? I'd love to get into this discipline.
Hi,
how can I buy in bundle with a discounted price please?
Also, I am trying from yesterday,but unable to use paypal and card payment options, I even changed the store to UK,but the result same.

how do I achieve?