(Close Window)
Topic: Greg Wilson's Pointless
Anyone see this on Gregory Wilson's site?

http://gregorywilsonfx.com/pointless.html

A neat little pen trick that would be a great follow up to Recap.

Any thoughts? I think the method is apparent based on the demo as a stand alone, but as a follow-up to Recap, it should play strongly.
I heard about this about a year ago and it sounded so good. Greg was excited about releasing it and from the demo, I can see why. Stand alone or done with re-cap and I think you would have a fun routine. Lay people wouldn't guess the gaff if it was performed properly ( same way a TT still fools folks when it's done right ).

I'm sure the DVD will have Greg sharing all the nuances to make it a show piece.
I'm a coin guy mostly but love Greg Wilson's stuff. His coin work is also very good so you almost have to give this new Pen trick a try.

With my good buddy Chris here recommending it I have no other choice but to give it a whirl. :)

It really looks nice and the sort of stuff I like to do when I'm not doing one of my coin effects. I have the same excitement about this that I have for Sankey's Killer Key and or Leaving Home effects. Those tricks were real workers for me and this new Wilson effect "Pointless" seems about down the same alley as to amazing in-your-face close-up magic.

Knowing the quality of Greg Wilson ideas and effects, on GP alone I highly recommend you give this a try. :) Personally, I need a new pen so it might as well be this one. ;) -Mb
Woo looks great! Love Gregory's stuff. Great effect to add to Re-cap. I can't wait to get this.

-Rahat
Greg says he's carried and used this everyday for about 3 years, both professionally and personally. He uses Pointless as an isolated stand-alone piece. Only if the situation demands, does he follow up with Recap.

I think the dvd will be a big help to someone like me. This type of effect, if not done right, they will catch on ( like the TT ). I'm sure Greg will give tips and such to avoid that happening.
Just tried to order this, the order now button does not work for me.
[quote]
On 2009-07-29 14:29, professorwhut wrote:
Just tried to order this, the order now button does not work for me.
[/quote]

What browser are you using? Internet Explorer works and it takes you to PayPal to checkout.
I am using Safari,
When I click on Order Now, it does nothing.

I will try Explorer, and see what happens.

Thanks.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Mozilla Firefox worked just fine.
I luv this guys stuff. I think he is an extremely creative mind. I use a lot of his Ön the spot"routines still, so just ordered this, and will get back in a week or so to let you know what I think
I guess if you need a back up to the you know what or if you don't already have a you know what, then this is a good buy. Not sure if it's such a great buy if you already have one, or two, or x-number of you know what's lying around. Maybe he should also release a DVD only version of this?
A couple of months back I was at Gregorys UK lecture, in Cardiff.

He did this and fooled Everyone!

He sold this to my close friend Geraint Clarke and I have to tell you quality of this thing is unparalleled, down to the last detail.

Greg told us how he literally spent months finding the right manufacturer to produce these and even though it are fairly pricey, it's worth every penny.

Also, on the DVD, I believe, it has an extended routine which is even better.

Anyway, Geraint is a working performer and uses only card magic in his walk around close up gigs, accept for this.

I can't recommend this anymore. GET THIS!

Cheers,

Lloyd
I got it to work with Explorer.

Thanks for the help!
[quote]
On 2009-07-29 17:02, kissdadookie wrote:
I guess if you need a back up to the you know what or if you don't already have a you know what, then this is a good buy. Not sure if it's such a great buy if you already have one, or two, or x-number of you know what's lying around. Maybe he should also release a DVD only version of this?
[/quote]

I have seen an early prototype of this last October, and I can tell you that this pen is slightly different, in that the end isn't flat, but rounded, as it should be on a regular pen. Of course, the you-know-what is shaped accordingly to accomodate this.
I've seen custom ones like this as well ;) It's what is needed if you're going to use a Bic pen for this gimmick. I'm definitely not knocking it since as a full package, it's at a good price point. Just throwing it out there since there's quite a few of us that probably has a box full of them :D
VERY INTRESTING!!!
As much as I love Greg's stuff and I don't know the actual secret of this, it seems like I could accomplish the same thing with a bic pen through dollar trick, which uses only one pen, if you catch my drift.
[quote]
On 2009-07-29 21:58, MagicBrent wrote:
As much as I love Greg's stuff and I don't know the actual secret of this, it seems like I could accomplish the same thing with a bic pen through dollar trick, which uses only one pen, if you catch my drift.
[/quote]

I think a high quality pen adds much to the deceptiveness. From what I gathered from the other posts, Greg paid attention to the details when getting these manufactured (the slightly round end on the Bic). The other pen throughs look pretty bad. Maybe it's just me, but I'm so used to Bic pens, I would notice something was odd without a rounded end.
I remember his lecture at Blackpool 08 and he performed Pre-Cap which was in his lecture notes that I bought, it looks like he has taken that routine and streamlined it for that Gregory Wilson goodness!

I love everything this guy does, he is a class act!

Ben Williams
I think folk with some experience can figure out what's going on. But, since this is not a routine you would do if it weren't for Greg releasing it, then play fair and get this.

Also, I'm sure Greg, as others have pointed out, designed the pen for this specific routine. So, it would be better to get this pen. And then you get a dvd...and....lol. You get the idea.

Anyway, I dig Greg's stuff and I think this looks like another winner from him.
My brain just turned upside down. This is just too awesome not to be real magic.
I order this today, Will let you guy know what I think when I get it.

Jeremy
Just got an email from Greg, and he said the AD for Pointless got out early. He also said it will be one more week til it ships.

Cheers
Jeremy
Will the gimmick stay in place while performing re-capped? With the striking vanish and all? Because I agree that this would be perfect along with recapped, and you wouldn't want to switch pens.
You would just add in the "gimmick" when you perform the Pointless routine. Obviously no need to keep it on the pen when performing Recapped.
But of course... I don't know what I was thinking (well I do - I was thinking of "perfect pen" since they share some similarities).
Nah, it's probably more similar in design to the cheapo ones hah.
Greg really knows how to knock the spectator dead. This looks pretty neat.
I want to make people run away like he does...I'm getting it... :) ...
Greg Wilson has always been one of my favorite magicians and again he releases a stunner. What great routining, as always.

I can't wait for mine to arrive. The gimmick I have is not of the quality described here and I can't wait to hear his finer points on the handling.

Kicking myself for not adding "Freakey" to the cart as well before checking out but I just bought a 3CM and don't want a divorce.
[quote]
On 2009-08-01 07:53, joseph wrote:
I want to make people run away like he does...I'm getting it... :) ...
[/quote]

Greg's good at that. ;)
May I just say... Best title for a post all year!!!
Wow, what a great idea. I really like how Greg always seems to take ordinary objects and puts an interesting twist on how it can be used as a magic prop.
Everything Greg does is great magic.
THIS is a fun concept.
Magic aside, Greg's routines are always well worth watching/reading just for the jokes and audience interaction. He's a master at scripting "impromptu" gags and lines by the dozens.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Aug 2, 2009 03:28PM)
Greg Wilson is super clever but he must have some weird obsession with Bic Pens. I must say however, I'm glad he does! I see lots of potential for this!

Can you imagine doing a trade show or corporate sales presentation where you talk about the importance of getting to the point and signing the contract?

Or a story about having dificulty signing a traffic ticket?
I am a mentalist but I have to admit, Greg wilson is one of my favourit performers to watch. The exitement/enthusiasm and his ability to connect with the spectators is just amazeing to watch. Not to mention some of the products he releases are top notch.

Daren
I haven't been on here for a couple of years so let me re-introduce myself. I'm Christian Grisier, and I created this routine almost by accident back in 2002.

I'm sitting in my dorm room freshman year of college practicing a variation on the pen through dollar routine in front of a mirror when I flipped the pen around and accidently fooled myself into believing it never moved. It sounds confusing, but check out Gregory's preview video and you'll see what I mean. It was truly a magical moment. If you've never completely fooled yourself you're missing out on real magic.

I worked this move and a few other convincers into a mini routine using the pen. I usually started out with this routine before transitioning into Recapped. Before I knew it, I was buying out the local magic shop's supply of pens through dollar and not even performing the effect it was designed for!

About three years ago I met Gregory in Toledo when he came to lecture for our Ring. After the session we went out for dinner and a few drinks. My friend was bugging me all night to show Gregory my lead in routine to Recapped, but I was much too reserved and figured he'd already seen something like that a thousand times. Eventually my friend waited till I wasn't looking and told Gregory to ask me about the pen trick. I reluctantly did the routine and he was very excited about it. On the drive home he was pulling up next to me in his car and doing the move in the rear view mirror and yelling out the window at me about how cool it was! Talk about an unexpected night.

Over the last few years Gregory and I talked about the idea of marketing this as a standalone routine, but one problem stood in the way... those terrible pens don't look like anything normal. He designed and had manufactured this pen in Bic format, making every detail about the pen perfect, right down to the perfectly con-vexed Bic end. Trust me, it will pass examination by laypersons, and the rounded end makes handling almost automatic.

It's taken a long time and the name was changed from Precapped to Pointless, but this product is well worth the wait. I've been performing my version of the routine, which you'll see me teach on the included DVD, for the past seven years. It's such an easy, fun way to start out a performance. I love it because rather than the magician controlling a magical situation, the magic just seems to be sort of... happening. The most fun way to perform it is to act as if you're on the same side of confusion and bewilderment as the spectators.

Anyway, I just had to drop by and give all who are interested the story behind the routine. Nice to see the interest in an effect that almost never happened! Message me if you have any specific questions on handling, I've got a few variations.

-Christian

P.S. If you want a perfect way to end completely clean, check out the last "throw move" I demonstrate on the video. It's easy, fair, and very impressive to a lay audience.
I like it, typical Greg Wilson trick. Very entertaining!
[quote]
On 2009-08-03 07:42, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I like it, typical Greg Wilson/Christian Grisier trick. Very entertaining!
[/quote]

A stupid question-

I assume you can do the classic pen through dollar with this right?
Anoth stupid question, is this a BIC pen and would I be able to get a matching pen for this?
Congratulations Christian! This is one of the coolest things I've seen in some time. Simple, organic magic using a familiar object. I agree with a couple other posters, if this can be used in conjuction with pen thru dollar in addition to ReCap, then this will be something to be carried around on a daily basis.

I stopped carrying my standard pen thru bill years ago as a daily pen for a couple of reasons. First, when carried on a daily basis the magnet seemed to work its way out on more than a few pens. So I ended up simply using pen thru bill when working gigs instead of a daily impromptu effect while out and about around town. Also, I carry a couple of nice pens on a daily basis due to my day job, so carrying a Bic pen seemed out of place. But "Pointless" may be too good to not carry, so I'll probably just throw away my Mont Blanc (kidding). Seriously though, this looks like a winner that I'll be using!!
[quote]
On 2009-08-08 10:40, Badger wrote:
Anoth stupid question, is this a BIC pen and would I be able to get a matching pen for this?
[/quote]

The one I have looks like an ordinary Bic pen that can be picked up @ Staples.

Bosco
The pen is indeed a Bic pen that, if you wanted to, you could easily get a matching normal pen. Again though, it really isn't necessary. There is nothing to hide. Although I could see your point for one subtlety. Last fall I was doing strolling gig and had the pen, along with a few normal Bics on me. I used the pen as simply a writing utensil for an add-a-number effect and eventually rolled into Pointless and Recapped. After the spectators at the table examined the pen I executed a nonchalant pocket switch for a legit pen and simply left it on the table, almost as if I forgot it. This solidified the fact that the pen was normal and of no significant value to me. After doing this at a few tables I noticed that some spectators kept it for themselves and others just left it there. Either way, it made the effect that much stronger.

As far as the pen through dollar routine goes, this pen was not designed with that in mind. I've done it with it, but its application is better suited for Pointless and Recapped. That being said, you'll have to try it out for yourself. Like I said, I've done it before and it definitely works... you just have to make some handling adjustments. You'll understand what I mean the first time you "stick it through" a dollar.

The pen is definitely worth carrying around. Just be careful because it's one of those props that you may forget is special and accidently misplace it. That's what happened to one of the prototypes Gregory sent me. Oops.

-Christian
Back in the 90's I bought a pen thru bill from Bob King at a convention. The written routine with it is the end of the pen changing sides, just like this, and did not really have anything to do with going through the $. I remember trying it and it and I liked the bill penetration better.

BUT: Like everything in Gregs hands, he makes it look like gold!

ACE
OK, its been more than a week since it was suppose to ship. Has anyone heard from Greg about this being posted out or has anyone received it yet?????????????
All has gone quiet?
When I ordered this, I was not aware that it was actually a pre order.
I am not a big fan of pre ordering. This is starting to remind me of the Freak Key bottleneck at the very beginning.

Please understand that I am a HUGE fan of Gregory Wilson.
I just received an email from Greg. He states that they will ship on Friday.

Jeremy
OK I just received this today. WOW!!! This is Aucking Fwesome, well worth the wait this is my best purchase so far this year. I bought tons of stuff this year too, like Copperfield's Flying Illusion, also his Death-Saw Illusion, so now you know how good it is. The DVD is great, it includes lots of live real world performances which is awesome. He does state that this is not recommended for pen thru bill which I will agree on. The pen it self is so so clever, he took his time with the details, like every project he works on. I would have to say that if you didn't order yet go do it now. You will not be disappointed, if you are disappointed then you are pointless. All joking aside this is a must for Close-up and walk around magicians. OK Greg now you can remove the gun from my head, The review is done. JK

GO GET THIS.
Jeremy

http://gregorywilsonfx.com/pointless.html
I also played around with this concept very shortly after getting a pen through bill. When I saw the price here I honestly was quite surprised. However, the fact that the pen has the rounded end makes it make more sense.

A small thing, but big difference. I've never had a "problem" in performance with the flatter end of my pen, but have often desired a rounded end one.

Mind you, as I never liked most manufactured pens, the gimmick either being way to big, and thus flimsy, or way to small, and thus, either obvious, imho, or just not too impressive a penetration. The very first one I ever owned was the perfect length, but I lost it, and they stopped making that particular one. It was also a very normal looking pen.

As a result, I have since made my own pens for penetrations. The pens I use already have a flat end, and are very normal looking, and I do buy them at Staples.

Any who, rambled on a bit there. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, where the pen had a rounded end, AND a deeper penetration, lol.

Any who, the routine here looks great, and the gimmick looks top notch (from what I can see) but I am surprised there aren't more people who have played with this idea before.

As I said though, the addition to the gimmick is enough to sell this, IMHO.
[quote]
On 2009-08-18 11:07, Krazyjay wrote:
I bought tons of stuff this year too, like Copperfield's Flying Illusion, also his Death-Saw Illusion, so now you know how good it is. [/quote]

Huh???
Here's my review:

Greg Wilson created a new effect called Pointless, with help from other people. Do I need to say anymore? Greg Wilson is the man and this gaff is like all of his work, Perfect!! Don't walk or run just go order it online fast. You will love this.
[quote]
On 2009-08-19 06:11, Futureal wrote:
[quote]
I bought tons of stuff this year too, like Copperfield's Flying Illusion, also his Death-Saw Illusion, so now you know how good it is. [/quote]

Huh???
[/quote]

I was basically saying that this is that good. I didn't buy those illusions, I was just being funny.

Jerm
[quote]
On 2009-08-01 12:35, Doomo wrote:
May I just say... Best title for a post all year!!!
[/quote]

Ha ha :lol:

I want to get this... but alas it's just another thing to put onto my very long need to have pile... I wish I could just have the money one day to buy everything I want now all at once so I can get this right away :)
[quote]
On 2009-08-19 21:13, Krazyjay wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-19 06:11, Futureal wrote:
[quote]

Huh???
[/quote]

I was basically saying that this is that good. I didn't buy those illusions, I was just being funny.

Jerm
[/quote]

I found your post pretty funny, haha. :) Well, I'm taking On The Spot to college to learn Re-Cap and I'm also ordering the pen. I should have a solid "impromptu" pen routine in a few weeks. :P
Okay, everything new is old. I found the Instructions for "RECAP" "A topsy Turvy Pen" And A Whole Lot More!
by J. C. Hiatt
Copyright 1995 by J. C. Hiatt,3516 E. Crystal Lake Av. Orlando FL 32806

This is the same thing! I have it and it is the same type of pen thru gimmick, but better than all the new cheap ones that flooded the market.

quote from instructions<<<Effect: The magicans pen caps, uncaps, and recaps itself when pushed through the magicians fist! The point then VISIBLY jumps from one end to the other! Finally, the spectator helps make the magic for a clean ending and a usable pen, which can then be fully examined and used!

"My eyes and mind were totally fooled, I want one...Tom Craven

"Looks like real magic!"...Rocco

"I like it"... Meir Yedid

"Excellent anywhere, anytime effect. Thanks for the pen"...Bill Malone.
>>>end quote

So what's up? What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I have NOTHING against Greg. I met him in lecture and he is great. I'm just wondering about this.

ACE
I picked this up fromn Greg at Magic Live it's awesome.
John
[quote]
On 2009-08-21 00:42, Acecardician wrote:
I have NOTHING against Greg. I met him in lecture and he is great. I'm just wondering about this.
ACE
[/quote]

Gregory Wilson did not come up with this idea actually. I believe someone mentioned that he showed the idea to Greg at a lecture. Greg's just marketing it under his "banner."
[quote]
On 2009-08-24 00:21, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-21 00:42, Acecardician wrote:
ACE
[/quote]

Gregory Wilson did not come up with this idea actually. I believe someone mentioned that he showed the idea to Greg at a lecture. Greg's just marketing it under his "banner."
[/quote]

Christian Grisier said he came up with it in 2005, and I believe him, I am sure it is a mater of independent creation, I just wanted on the record that his has been marketed in the past(1995)by C. J. Hiatt. I don't think it is available anymore.
A google search had one reference to C.J.'s Recap in a list of pen tricks.
A google search also shows a magician by the same name in Orlanda,Florida, which is the same address on the 1995 Recap.

There were not DVD instructions in the 90's when you bought tricks, but written instructions. I'm sure Greg did a great job putting his twists and personality into this. It is entertaining just watching him. I watch his "ON The Spot" DVD's not so much to learn but to be entertained.

ACE
Any news on if this will be available from a UK distributor?

Cheers,
David.
I will probably pick one of these up, although it is far from a new idea! The name Recap that Acecardician mentioned sure sounds familiar as I had one of these back in the early to mid 90's, maybe still do somewhere around here -- but haven't seen it for years. It was a good trick back then and I have wanted to pick up another one for years. I'm afraid that the gimmick uses a method all too familiar rather than the one the previous trick used, which I would much prefer. If anyone has one and knows both, I would appreciate a PM to let me know if they are the same or different. I don't care to know the method for the gimmick, just if they are the same.

Thanks,

Robert
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'm trying to figure out what all the fanfair is about. Don't get me wrong, I like Gregory Wilson's stuff a lot (Ring Leader is one of my most favorite routines), and I mean no disrespect, but this trick doesn't seem all that earth-shattering to me. This is just an alternate handling using an old and existing gimmick. Is there something else I'm missing?
[quote]
On 2009-09-11 08:05, Corbett wrote:
this trick doesn't seem all that earth-shattering to me.
[/quote]

Hey Corbett
With all due respect, I'm not bashing you I'm just stating my opinion. You said "TO ME" this effect doesn't have to be earth-shattering to you. It only have to be earth-shattering to the spectators. When I first looked at the gimmick I was like WTF nothing new. I watched the DVD and was blown away by the spectators reactions, this really kills them. I like the fact that the pen is really well made, anytime they want to see the pen you can hand it to them. I think this effect is awesome and kills every time I do it.

I don't know why I'm trying to convince people that this is awesome. I should just keep it to myself.

Just my opinion
Jeremy
I can appreciate other opinions. I guess $40 just seems a bit much for an upgraded pen thru gimmick. IMHO.
[quote]
On 2009-09-11 13:11, Corbett wrote:
I can appreciate other opinions. I guess $40 just seems a bit much for an upgraded pen thru gimmick. IMHO.
[/quote]

Supposedly it can't be used for that effect.
Murphy's has this in stock you will be able to buy this at the finest of dealers world wide! Just ask your dealer for it.
I have been interested in magic with bic pens for years now and purchased Wilson's notes "Unpacked" with a trick called Pre-Cap in it. It basically explains the exact same effect as Pointless and what the gimmick is but without photos.
Anyone else have these notes?
One of my really good friends performed this for me last night...I was floored!! I had no idea, looks great!!!

Charlie
Message: Posted by: Rafael The Master Hypnotist (Sep 17, 2009 07:01AM)
The diffcult part of performing this effect is finding the right Emotional Hook, since without one, this POINTLESS will become trully POINTLESS
Great reviews I love Gregory Wilson's products I will be placing my order ASAP. Thanks Christian for the idea and routines.
No offense here, but I find it very funny that many magicians judge the effectiveness of a magic trick from the audience reactions on the video that teaches it.
I agree Iceblade.

If someone were to use audience reactions to determine the quality of an effect, we all would be buying every L & L dvd every made. :)
I love this trick! So clever! So ingenious in many ways!

If you want to see audience reactions that (in my opinion) make doing magic worthwhile, check out the group of pre-teens and the homeless African-American guy on the performance section of the DVD. For the folks who just perform for youtube, this is what you're missing if you don't get out in public and perform for people. You won't get that kind of reaction every time but for the moments you do...it's sooooo great!

Bob L.
I'm a big fan of Gregory Wilson too, I would just buy this DVD to watch him perform and not to learn the trick itself!!
Gregory Wilson is the man. He and Richard Sanders are probably my 2 favourite magicians especially in terms of the material they release into the magic community. I have just started performing his chip on shoulder routine and there is a lot to be said for this type of routine where the spec is constantly 1 step behind, they seem to love being duped along the way. Think I'll be making the purchase $40 doesn't seem unreasonable to me, I'm sure it'll be top notch and Greg seems to iron everything out for you in terms of performance so you don't have to find things out the hard way. Packs small..plays big, what more could you ask for. People who have this do you generally perform this alongside recapped as I don't know that routine but would obviously invest the time to learn it if they play well together or do you do one or the other, as it would be quite a lot of biro magic?
Did Tom Stone have something a bit like this? Déjà Vu or something similar? Not sure as I don't have "Pointless" but it looks very nice indeed.
[quote]
On 2009-09-21 12:46, Tom Lauten wrote:
Did Tom Stone have something a bit like this? Déjà Vu or something similar? Not sure as I don't have "Pointless" but it looks very nice indeed.
[/quote]

Yes, it is similar to Jonas Ljung's "Déjà Vu Pen" that I published 2004 in the ebook "Deserting the Legion" at http://shop.tomstone.se

The difference is that "Pointless" is more like the Tipsy Turvy Bottle, while "Déjà Vu Pen" is more about the pen becoming mysteriously re-capped.
Been playing with this, practising for about a week now - really good fun to do, but haven't showed it to anyone yet. Workmanship is flawless, the routine and bonus material is all great.
[quote]
On 2009-09-19 11:22, taller8 wrote:
I agree Iceblade.

If someone were to use audience reactions to determine the quality of an effect, we all would be buying every L & L dvd every made. :)
[/quote]

What am I missing here? :confused: I think I am in the process of buying every L&L DVD ever made, I'm 1/2 way there! :eek:

ACE
Someone demonstrated this to me. It looks really really good.
I picked this up on a whim and didn't have great expectations but I was looking for a non-card item to mix up my walk around sets. I've had this for about 3 weeks and have used it about 12 times and I have to say that I really like it. It's visual, fun to perform, and gets really great reactions. The quality of the gaff is very high and the dvd provides several routine possibilities.
I've used it in restaurant table hopping; it's excellent. Great reactions!
Does anyone use this for an opener? I like it but don't know how powerful it will be
I find it really amazing that my friend J.C. Hiatt was never contacted by either of the two people talking about releasing this pen effect. J.C. did release "Recap" in 1995 and we had plans to re-release the effect with DVD instructions in 2010.
I'm really starting to hate the business side of magic.

Jeff Pierce Magic
Jeff

Well the early bird could get the worm but…the second mouse always gets the cheese
I remember he demoed this at Blackpool last year. that's where I grabbed it and loved it every since
[quote]
On 2009-07-29 17:54, Doctor D wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-29 17:02, kissdadookie wrote:
[/quote]

I have seen an early prototype of this last October, and I can tell you that this pen is slightly different, in that the end isn't flat, but rounded, as it should be on a regular pen. Of course, the you-know-what is shaped accordingly to accomodate this.
[/quote]

That pen sounds just like Mano's Big Wander pen,is he the one making the pens for Greg?
Hey can someone make a YouTube vid of this please
[quote]
On 2010-01-16 08:34, spy1215 wrote:
Hey can someone make a YouTube vid of this please
[/quote]

Youtube has a few performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8bd-Fno45c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPcwbriNHkw
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jan 16, 2010 11:54AM)
Wilson's perfromance is 200% better, in my opinion. mostly because of phrasing and pacing. He also makes it more fun than puzzling! A good study for those who want to do this effect.
Hi. Does anyone know where to buy a back-up gimmicked pen? Greg Wilson says he carries his everywhere...well, what if he loses it (pens do get lost, especially tiny little pen tips). Does he then have to tear open one of his own DVDs?

Also, anyone have any ideas how to end the routine clean, without anything in your hand?

Thanks if you can help!

Yakov
Can somebody tell me if the "pen" is strong enough to use it for a regular pen through bill? I am think of purchasing "Perfect Pen" but if Pointless does the job as good I would buy Pointless for the sake of having 2 different effects.
This pen is NOT designed or recommended for pen thru bill.
I made my own. It turned out surprisingly well.
Message: Posted by: Sock Puppet Monkey (Nov 20, 2010 03:22PM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-20 16:18, kumpletoo wrote:
[/quote]

?
I made my own Pointless gimmick...

[quote]
On 2010-11-20 16:22, Sock Puppet Monkey wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-11-20 16:18, kumpletoo wrote:
[/quote]

?
[/quote]
Anyone know if it's possible to purchase the gimmick. I lost mine. Still have the pen. It's a blue one.
Any way to contact Greg? Thank you for your help.
Dave
You can send him an email at getgreg@pacbell.net.
[quote]
On 2011-01-15 00:49, Douglas Lippert wrote:
[/quote]

Thank you Douglas !!
You're welcome David.
[quote]
On 2011-01-15 00:49, Douglas Lippert wrote:
[/quote]

Sent him an e-mail on the 16th. Have not received a reply as of yet.
Received an e-mail from Greg yesterday. Problem solved.
Great trick that does take a little bit of practice to get the routine down. I also have to work on ditching the gimmick at the end and showing my hands clean. Haven't quite got that perfected yet.
This trick looks like a winner. Something I'll definitely be getting.
Paul Brook's "Book of Lies" has a great suggestion that turns this gimmick into a wonderful tool for a mentalism routine. It really introduces some new possibilities by approaching the gimmick from a completely different angle. Well worth a look.
Magick Balay does the pen thru bill using the Pointless pen and even showed his handling to Gregory last year to prove it can be done.
Funny that this topic is brought up because the original routine for the Doug Edwards "Pen thru Bill" sold from Tannen's included a phase where the point jumps from one end to the other.
[quote]
On 2011-02-04 08:30, dlcmagic wrote:
Received an e-mail from Greg yesterday. Problem solved.
[/quote]

What solution did you get from Greg?...I also would like to get another gimmick and pen. You can pm if you feel the need to.
Also I love this effect and when I first bought I thought people would catch on...i was more wrong than ever...not only do people freak...but they can't see a thing...i guess that goes to show that we can't always think like magicians
When Greg brough it to a lecture here he deep fried as many magicians as he possibly could.

I'm all for Pointless. It is a 5 star worker.
[quote]
On 2011-05-27 11:14, RC4MAG wrote:
Magick Balay does the pen thru bill using the Pointless pen and even showed his handling to Gregory last year to prove it can be done.
Funny that this topic is brought up because the original routine for the Doug Edwards "Pen thru Bill" sold from Tannen's included a phase where the point jumps from one end to the other.
[/quote]

The Pointless Pen has become my pen-thru-bill of choice to use. It takes a bit of a light touch due to the curved nature of the gimmick, but having a pen that looks identical to a regular one (once the you-know-what has been ditched) is worth the extra bit of finesse required to use the pen for a bill penetration effect.

Best,
MJ
As I said, this is nothing more than Re-Cap by JC Hiatt, released in 1995.
Greg has a way of taking a simple effect and making it a sensation through his personality. Whatever he touches turns to gold. People just naturally like him, which makes it easier for him to win them over on whatever effect he is performing. It's a gift.

He's a credit and an assett to the world of magic.
Message: Posted by: ComposerCopenhagen (Jun 20, 2014 12:18PM)
I had an idea today, as I got the gimmick for my first time.

Wouldnt this work with the Raven? A way of vanishing the point cleanly just waving the hand over the tip of the pen? This would also ditch the gimmick and it could be handed out. It should work as the gimmick is m*****ic?

I have no Raven my self yet, so I can not test this idea yet.
It would work but I feel you don't need it. Greg goes through a lot of ways to handle examination.
James

[quote]On Jun 20, 2014, ComposerCopenhagen wrote:

Wouldnt this work with the Raven? A way of vanishing the point cleanly just waving the hand over the tip of the pen? This would also ditch the gimmick and it could be handed out. It should work as the gimmick is m*****ic?

I have no Raven my self yet, so I can not test this idea yet. [/quote]
I actually prefer the alternate handling on the dvd where 2 pen caps are installed on the pen as you bring it out. Ditching at the end becomes natural to recap the pen. Great product that I use very often.
Message: Posted by: ComposerCopenhagen (Jun 21, 2014 03:37AM)
Oh, but I didn't mention it as a solution to ditching. That is already no problem. Just add an extra effect in itself, making the pen "turn" by not even touching it.

[quote]On Jun 20, 2014, Xiqual wrote:
It would work but I feel you don't need it. Greg goes through a lot of ways to handle examination.
James

[quote]On Jun 20, 2014, ComposerCopenhagen wrote:

I have no Raven my self yet, so I can not test this idea yet. [/quote] [/quote]
Wow this is again featured in the hotlist in Penguin magic . Rick Lax performed it super creatively . Especially those visual productions . Eg , from the mouth . After coming back to this in two years' time however , I am reconsidering getting one , although it is pretty expansive .
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Aug 29, 2014 10:35AM)
It's worth it. When I got it from his website they accidentally shipped me exact change but I sent it back because the pointless routine was so good. It is one of my favorite seemingly impromptu routines. Although I bought it right before I switched to mentalism but it still is fun to do one pseudo hypnotism phase with it.
Best wishes,
Harry
[quote]On Aug 29, 2014, Harry the magic man wrote:
It's worth it. When I got it from his website they accidentally shipped me exact change but I sent it back because the pointless routine was so good. It is one of my favorite seemingly impromptu routines. Although I bought it right before I switched to mentalism but it still is fun to do one pseudo hypnotism phase with it.
Best wishes,
Harry [/quote]

Thank you for the advice . I like a man full of integrity :) . Anyways I presume what is worth is the versatility of this . Performing it at an off beat is what I am hitting for .
Hey Café!

Came up with a couple new presentations of POINTLESS, which you can look at here, if you've got 2 minutes to kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBvcSTG-pOI&list=UUeH6_8u0WJb5Hioaixedsgg

And that is all.

-Rick
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Aug 30, 2014 03:51PM)
Thank you rick. I quite enjoyed your presentation ideas.
Best wishes,
Harry
[quote]On Aug 30, 2014, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Hey Café!

Came up with a couple new presentations of POINTLESS, which you can look at here, if you've got 2 minutes to kill:

And that is all.

-Rick [/quote]

Are you wearing rouge?
Nice video Rick, but I will stick to Gregory's presentation :)
Message: Posted by: ComposerCopenhagen (Aug 31, 2014 04:23AM)
[quote]On Aug 30, 2014, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Hey Café!

And that is all.

-Rick [/quote]

explanations..! :-)
I got fooled when I was watching it for the first time . Such beautiful handling . :)
[quote]On Aug 31, 2014, tobajer wrote:
Nice video Rick, but I will stick to Gregory's presentation :) [/quote]

Fair enough.
[quote]On Aug 31, 2014, Magician560 wrote:
I got fooled when I was watching it for the first time . Such beautiful handling . :) [/quote]

Score!
I always respect when people say they're fooled. I watch enough magic now where I get fooled more and more. Last night was hanging out with Blake Vogt who fooled me with a simple card trick. Love that feeling.
Yeap . Going back to a layman again .
[quote]On Aug 31, 2014, Magician560 wrote:
Yeap . Going back to a layman again . [/quote]

Results?
I've been doing magic for 45 years, and I get fooled all the time.
I bought this several years ago, but recently misplaced my pen, anyone know if Greg sells the pens separately ,or any magic dealers? I already have the dvd.

Thanks in advances,
Greig.
[quote]On Feb 3, 2015, greig ewen wrote:
I bought this several years ago, but recently misplaced my pen, anyone know if Greg sells the pens separately ,or any magic dealers? I already have the dvd.

Thanks in advances,
Greig. [/quote]

Greg did sell the pens separately at one time ( I bought a couple), but best to check directly with him. I'm not aware of any dealers that sell just the pens.
[quote]On Feb 3, 2015, Doug Arden wrote:
[quote]On Feb 3, 2015, greig ewen wrote:

Thanks in advances,
Greig. [/quote]

Greg did sell the pens separately at one time ( I bought a couple), but best to check directly with him. I'm not aware of any dealers that sell just the pens. [/quote]

You can get it from his website. Costs $30. Here's the link: http://thesecretsource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=6

I second that it's one of the most awesome impromptu close-up effects. Hope this helps! :D
Hello fellow magic friends! I've been a fan of pen magic for several years. Isn't it fun?!

Reading all past posts up to this point I've read several comments on how the Pointless pen does not work well (nor is it recommended) for a "bill thru" effect. However, I'm also hearing conflicting information on this.

Question: has the product been 'updated' since it first came out? Or is it still the same? I don't have Pointless (yet) and am trying to understand if it will or will not be ideal for a bill thru. I read in this thread that someone mentioned Magick Balay presented a handling of Pointless that WOULD work for a bill-thru effect but I'm curious as to if this was on the same version of Pointless that exists today or if Pointless has indeed been updated over the years since its first release to be more "bill-thru compatible".

Any feedback on this particular thought would be greatly appreciated! :)
I bought it 2 times when it first came out and about 2 years after that and I still have these pens (but one without the gimmick which I lost). I didn't see any updates since so I presume it's still the same. Personally I would do a bill through with it even if the gimmick is a little rounded at the base which is not the best but it works. For better info I suggest you contact Greg on his website.
Seeing this post reminded me of this effect... have had it for years, but haven't used it for a long time... but it really is a lot of fun for impromptu use... I'll have to get mine out again and practice up. This is a great little prop for a reasonable price.
Just watched instructional DVD and GW says not for PTB.

I am guessing it's the same as the original.

When GW did it at his lecture here, he referred to it as his upgrade trick,

GW says it's his upgrade trick for renting a car. He performs this with his
special patter and they upgrade him to a better car for the same price.

DVD says it's 5 moves for the routine.

Pretty Cool trick and FUN to do.
Thanks, everyone! I am a [I]bit[/I] deflated to hear that it's not really recommended for PTB, but oh well. Knowing Greg as well as seeing the reviews I'm sure the pen is still worth carrying for the Pointless routine alone. It just would have been nice to 'double up' on using it for PTB as well since it'd be one less extra prop to have to carry. I'm still on a journey to find the best Pen-Thru-Bill effect (and I know there are several past threads that have discussed this at length so I don't mean to hijack this one by making it a PTB discussion). I also really enjoy the Electronic Rating Pen patter (penny-to-dime) and was thinking of potentially using this pen for all three effects. With all that being said, I'll end up ordering Pointless anyway. I met Greg at the Penguin Magic Expo a few years back near Minneapolis and it was a real pleasure talking shop & getting a picture taken with him. I brought along my 2-VHS Tape set of On The Spot for him to sign. Yes, I said VHS. :P

Thank you all for your replies thus far. I'm new to this forum as an active user but have browsed the Magic Café for years and have been an active magician for the past 20+ years. Glad to be here!
[quote]On Mar 1, 2019, Magic By Manny wrote:
I also really enjoy the Electronic Rating Pen patter (penny-to-dime) and was thinking of potentially using this pen for all three effects. [/quote]

Welcome to becoming an active member Manny.
Pointless is one of my all time favs. Have never used it for a PTB though.
But I’m curious what this Electronic Rating Pen patter is? Don’t think I’m familiar with it.
Can you point to more info on it?
A Big PLUS is pen comes with two pen cover/clips so you don't misplace the special something that makes it all work.
[quote]On Mar 1, 2019, videoman wrote:

Welcome to becoming an active member Manny.
Pointless is one of my all time favs. Have never used it for a PTB though.
But I'm curious what this Electronic Rating Pen patter is? Don't think I'm familiar with it.
Can you point to more info on it? [/quote]

Thanks!

In regards to the Electronic Rating Pen: the patter of the to penny-to-dime effect that I enjoy using with that particular pen allows the magician to frame the presentation around how technology has really evolved over the years. One single computer used to fill an entire room! Now you can fit a microchip into something the size of your finger nail. This pen is special because it has a microchip in it. It will rate your personality on a scale of one to ten. Let's see what YOUR personality rating is. Then the penny turns into a dime...WOW, you're a perfect ten! ;)

[quote]On Mar 2, 2019, Neznarf wrote:
A Big PLUS is pen comes with two pen cover/clips so you don't misplace the special something that makes it all work. [/quote]

That's great - thanks for the info, Nez! I'm looking forward to purchasing POINTLESS and rehearsing it to the point where I've got a solid routine down enough to add it into my repertoire.