(Close Window)
Topic: I'm interested in your constructive comments
Hi guys, I would be interested in any constructive thoughts, ideas or comments on this routine. Personally, I like to have 3 different shell routines and depending on the situation I find myself in, I will perform the most appropriate routine or routines.

In this particular routine I don't play against any one... it's just presented as a public service announcement on the perils of playing the 3 shell game for money. I'm interested in any of your thoughts or ideas that might tighten or improve the routine in your eyes but ideally, in eyes of a lay audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hEDda_rH4

Thanks in advance for you comments and your help,

Glenn
I like it Glenn!

Mike
I thought that it was terrific. When does the dvd come out?
Glenn,

The routine is tight and your chops are brilliant. I've never seen the Bob Sheets or the SFS Shell game stuff, so I have no idea how closely your routine matches any of that.

I would say (as respectfully as possible) that I'm not a fan of disclosing that the pea can wind up in your hand though. It's a judement call, but IMHO it gives away too much of the real secret.

Just a thought...cuz you asked! Most importantly, I really thought it was very well executed and routined. Good job!

Chad
Thanks guys!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the issue of the pea behind the back?

I know I wouldn't use a phase like that in a normal 3 shell routine where I was trying to have people really play the game. And... I agree, I don't like the idea of for example...if I only move the shells with the right hand, using the right hand to produce the pea from an impossible location.

If I ever use this routine along with another shell routine, I always do it last because after people see the routine they are unlikely to pick the shell where they think the pea is supposed to be, and obviously that's not what I want in my other routines.

In this routine, I don't know if the pea behind the back is "too close to the method" though, since they do see the left hand go behind the back first, and they still see the pea on the table after that point in time.

The routine does accomplish its goal of being a public service announcement. No one will ever play the game for money after they see the routine.

Back to the question at hand, I wonder if in a way, the pea behind the back and some of the other phases might help my silly pseudo explanation make sense... that the pea is actually a green Mexican Bumping Bean.

I don't know, that's why I asked for your thoughts and comments... Thanks very much for them and for taking the time to watch the clip!

Glenn
Hi Glenn -

Looks really nice! A few thoughts for you

1) I'm not a fan of the rhyming patter. It makes a really cool routine come across as a little cheesy.

2) I'd consider slowing everything down by a third! I couldn't follow where the pea SHOULD be through some of the time.

3) The behind the back move is great but only because your chops are so good. A lesser performer would never get away with it! People will guess at the method because it is the most obvious solution. I get people guessing the method you used even when I'm not!

Hope that helps!
Nicholas,

Thanks for your thoughts and insights regarding the routine.

A question for Nicholas and anyone else with any ideas or suggestions... First of all, I'm not sure that I'm much of a fan of the rhyming patter either. But since at this point, this is a routine I run through more as a monologue rather than an interactive routine... does anyone have any ideas or other directions the presentation might take without breaking the flow?

It seems sometimes when I practice or perform a routine over and over it gets so ingrained that it's hard to get a fresh perspective or think of different presentational ideas on my own.

Thanks for the suggestion too slow it down, there is no need to move at a pace that everyone can't follow every phase... I don't want there to be any confusion. If you had unsure moments of where the pea should be, odds are others will too.

Thanks again,
Glenn
Glenn:

I like your routine the handling is very smooth and natural. Blending two routines together like that would normally be too long for me but you can pull it off with your clean manipulation. Your opening moves blew me away, made me feel like I was watching the shells for the first time!

Slowing things down is a good call. Three shells can get confusing real fast and if the audience looses track of the pea, the revelation of it, no matter how amazing, will mean nothing.

The rhyming patter; just keep refining it if you feel it needs it. Rhyming patter routines have been used very successfully by many, an exceptional example is Chef Antonís Fast and Loose routine. Terry LaGerould does great things with rhyming and his audience loves it. Be sure to check out the legendary Umbrella Jimís patter if you havenít already itís a classic.

Keep up the great work!

Steve