(Close Window)
Topic: Ideas for using Square Circle for youth event
I have been trying to think of a good way to use the square circle at a youth event. Wondering how some of you use it? I though I could use it as without God your life is empty, and with God it is full. Any ideas it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
I use mine to illustrate [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%203%20:%2020-21%20;&version=31;]Ephesians 3:20-21[/url], how God can do more than we can ask or imagine. In fact, I performed it just yesterday on the main stage at a Christian Music Festival, as a part of my gospel show.

I produce a lot from my little Square Circle prop. 3x36" Silks (red, yellow, blue), a skunk silk, an appearing cane (cane silk is pulled out, and changes to cane), a butterfly or rabbit in hat silk, a string of flags, a 60' streamer, a 6'x6' tie dye silk, and also a flagstaff (with 3'x5' colourful flag -- in the red/yellow/blue colours).

I call the routine my "Blessings Routine", because I use it to talk about the blessings that God has given us, and how we should have an atittude of thankfulness.

- Donald
Thanks Donald for the idea, I always enjoy reading your posts. Please keep the ideas coming as I am fairly new to Gospel Magic
You could also use it for Matthew 25:14 ff the parable of the talents. Invest the talents and you get more out. At the end put the uninvested talents back into the square circle and they are gone.
Is this the best kind of effect for youth? I have never used this effect, although I am familiar with it, has anyone used this prop with youth?
Why do you think it is not a good idea for youth? Thanks Kennyrb for the suggestion.
To me, it doesn't seem like a strong prop for an audience that likes to be cool...it is effective with younger kids, I just doubt it would be impactful on youth, but I haven't done it, it is just a feeling
A life without Christ is empty (or start by pulling out things to illustrate chaos, disorder.., then show empty), but once we put our trust in Jesus, we have forgiveness, purposefulness, fellowship with God, and the Holy Spirit. Please, don't pull out cars, money, or other materialistic type items. That's the wrong message.

For the youth, there needs to be a meaningful message and the prop shouldn't look childish. As far as the prop's appearance, it can be changed. Barry Mitchel has a clever approach with his Trash to Treasure, where the "square" is made to look like a dumpster.
I use it in almost all of my youth programs and the more you show it empty and the more you produce from it the bigger response you get from it. Mine is a smaller version and I produce a silk fountain, two 9" by 30 foot streamers, a 6' by 6' butterfly, and two 36" printed scarves with still some more room. It really plays big depending on the patter that you use. The audience will be amazed how you can produce all that stuff from something that you keep showing empty.
I recently purchased a "Square Mirrorcle" from a Café member, which uses a mirror placed behind the prop, rather than BA for the principle. From that I talk about what we reflect to the world... at one point I even pull out a rubber chicken...so, yes, I believe the square circle still has a viable place in gospel magic, whether youth or other.
[quote]
On 2009-08-04 05:12, markofmagic wrote:
the more you show it empty ... the bigger response you get from it. ... something that you keep showing empty.
[/quote]

I have a different point of view.

I think it should be shown empty maybe two or three times maximum throughout the whole routine. Once is often enough.

I think if you spend too much time showing it empty, it puts too much focus on the prop (invites them to spend time solving the method), and not enough focus on the production / surprise.

I think that Dai Vernon used to say of magic, "Don't run if you're not being chased."

I've also read an essay by Jonathan Pendragon many years ago, in Genii or Magic, where he talked about the difference between presenting a puzzle (something to be solved) and presenting magic (mystery and wonder to enjoy). Many magicians present a puzzle, when they should be presenting magic. Think of the focus you are creating by the presentation you choose.

- Donald
Donald, very well put, Thanks all for the ideas, please keep them coming,
I do a coloring book routine prior to my Square Circle routine and it flows into it. I talk about sharing the color & joy that God's love can bring to your life and I use music with it and produce a number of silks, streamers and then a silk fountain with a 36' Jesus silk at the end.
Normally my Square Circle is used in part of my opening where I am not necessarily sharing the Gospel, just doing quick, visual magic with lots of production and transformation, i.e. silk to can, color changing wreaths, silk fountain, dove production, etc, possibly with a Jesus Silk being produced at one point near the end of the opening to set the stage on why I am there.
Why not use it to illustrate the fruit of the spirit? You could either produce various pieces of fruit, or different colors of silks with the fruits lettered on them. That works for virtually any production trick.
It's so versatile--depending on when you use it in your show, you could use it to produce other props--props for the next trick, etc.

Now, though it may not seem "teen" appropriate, when I do kids' shows, I often use it to produce scarves that correspond to the "Wordless Book." Basically, it's a way to share the gospel message of salvation using the colors as you produce them.

That works for me!
Stempleton--I'm curious about the "Square Mirrorcle"--who's the manufacturer? Who sells it? Sounds intriguing!