(Close Window)
Topic: Lite Flite or Steve Fearson's hookup
I am thinking of buying Lite Flite, but it seems it is just based on Steve Fearson's floating cigarette hookup. I can buy the latter at his web site for 5 dollars. Anyone have any reason to actually buy the Lite Flite?
I'm not sure of Lite Flite hook up, but if you can find better prices go with that. Also Fearson's can seem to be somewhat impromtu. That's a cool thing. It doesn't yell out "I'm a magicians prop, only a magician would have". Just personal experience on what I found works and doesn't.
Both are really good!
Thanks,

I went and bought Fearson's hookup from his site. I am now waiting to receive the files and video download.
I'll let you know if its any good.
Lite flite has received quite a number of bad reviews, do a search and read them before you decide to buy it.
Lite flite looks cool, but is bad because the item isn't borrowed, like with a cigarette or--DOLLAR BILL.

Get the lite flite video, which teaches the Fearson hook up.
Do yourself a favor and buy Fearsons cig. routine. Better price, better trick.
Besides, as stated already, the lighted ball screams "this is gaffed".

If you like the lighted thing check out Steve Fearsons area 51 on download magic.
At the end of the routine you throw it out the window and it flies away into the night.
There is also a video of it on the site.
To be honest the thing flying away looks a bit like a frisbee toss, but it beats light flite hands down.
Ronald R. Romiski
Boy, that MagicChris is one smart cookie. :rotf:
I downloaded the Area 51 video and I thought it was great. It shows the cigarette hookup and explains the hoop pass in great detail. It also shows the similar routine with the glow stick.

Very nice. Thanks all for saving me 39$
Fearson's hook-up is about all you will need for awhile! It will definitely keep you busy as there are many possibilities with it. As for Area 51, the glowstick thing isn't my style, but opens up many possibilities.
Ferason's hook-up is extremely practical and very convincing. Above all else it is exrtremely good value.
I bought the light flight video and it doesn't tell you a way to dump the hook up with out breaking the gimmick. Thanks

Can somebody please help me?
The only way I can think of would be to buy another kit and use the second ball as a switch.
In Lite Flight all your paying for is the aluminated ball, they are the same thing. I say buy Lite Flight and with the same hook up attach a cigarette instead.
I don't think Lite Flight is very good. I just think it smacks of gimmickry.
I did buys Fearson's hookup and it is pretty good. It makes the effect truly amazing. The hoop pass it not so easy however!

At the end of his Area 51 explanation he does the same routine with a deck of cards. Pretty cool.
While I am a big fan of IT Effects, I find I only use my Lite Flite on Halloweens. Somehow an little gaff is commonly accepted on this night of nights for those of our ilk, and it's a hit with the kids as well as their parents!

And you can still hand out the candy while hooked up!
I just want to mention that Lite Flite is absolutely no different from Fearsons Floating cigarette as far as method. The only difference is it's done with a different object (In this case a ball that lights up).

If you want the ball then go ahead and pick up the lite flite. If you wan the method I'd recommend getting the Area51. It's the exact same thing but shows how to do it with a cigarette and a glow stick. Along with example demonstrations on using other objects (By the way, when he made the deck of cards float he used another one of his tricks called [i]Man with two decks[/i]). I should also point out that Yigal Mesika's Floating Glasses also uses the same hook up. The good news is both lite flite and the floating sunglasses have permission from the originator to market them.

Ron Jaxon
Although I agree that it isn't worth it to buy lite flight if you have floating cigarette, I have to say that lite flight has been one of my best attention grabbers at conventions or walk around settings. I just stand and start having the ball float back and forth between my hands slowly. It looks very odd as the ball moves so slow. and then once a crowd is collecting, the ball floats up and into my pocket. Nothing fancy. I have even let a specator come up and hold the ball, and inspect it as it floats to them. If it breaks, I move on. But believe it or not, I save it at least 75% of the time. I also do the hookup to my watch instead of fingers, so that I can continue with something else immediately. When working at a mall for a business showcase, I used a small egg for Easter time. This trick really depends upon your venue andhow you present it.
I have Lite Flite, I have performed it for large audiences. I love it. I don't use it anymore. I just don't like IT.
I do feel however that while it is the Fearson's hookup, it is much stronger than the floating cigarette.
By spinning the ball, you get a gyroscopic action which stabalizes the ball and helps mask the tell-tale wobble of an object which is dangling on a string.
Maybe I should get this out and play with it again...
Thanks Scott, perhaps it's a fave because it was my intro to Fearson's IT hookup, but in the right venue it's just so darned FUN!

I've also been using Loops quite a bit as of late, just because it's so easy to deal with. I can walk around a party, be completely casual, and go levitate a borrowed ring with no noticeable reset or setup.

How cool is that?
I bought a lite flight a year ago to add as a interesting addition to my already popular D'lite routine. Let me just say the D'lite routine is still in my act, however the lite flite is so complex and complicated I just never wanted to use it.
Me and my friends at Hollywood Magic agree that you should never perform a trick in front of people untill you have practiced with it at least a month, Honestly folks I would go crazy if I had to work with a lite flight for that long! :mad:
I personally give the lite flite two thumbs down! :cucumber: Sincerely Magic Johnathon
Jonathan, I would encourage you to spend some time with it if you haven't already.

The setup isn't really that complex, and once you get the feel of it, it really comes quite naturally. If I can do it, I'm sure you can!

The only issue I have with the setup is that it's not easily donned or ditched. You can actually go back to normal life afterwards, but you'll probably wind up sacrificing the IT. Not a problem to set up again, but ...

That's always been a nice thing about the D'Lites. Easy don, easy ditch, and ready to go again.

Always a reaction with those!
I just bought and watched Area 51.

It ROCKS!!!
Honestly for the price, it is great.

Now I already knew the main source for IT and the basics of the hookup, but even if you know them I would still plunk down the 10 bucks for all the great stuff on the video.

It tells you the bulk source for getting IT cheaply, it tells you the awesome hookup, how to get into it and out of it, different methods for attaching it, other idea's and a really cool method for making it float up into the night sky...

I haven't tried it, and I can see how some might call it impractical, but at the right time and place the big finish seems like it would kill!!!!

anyway I have already played around with the basics of the Fearson hookup but all the idea's presented with area51 definatly are worth the 10 dollars!!! you will definatly find something new and usable with this video.
Here's a little thing that Steve use to have in his lecture but isn't on any of his videos or instructions on this hook up.

When you're in position and just did the routine. You can place your hands behind your back, spit the cigarette hard over your head and it'll land right in your hand behind your back. It's a pretty cool ending.

If you're doing the lite-flite with the woolly nylon, the thread is a little weak for the ball. You can use more then one strand of IT though. This'll make the thread a little stronger.

Ron Jaxon
Actually Jaxon that is taught on the Area51 video, along with a cool little move like it where you spit the cig out and it does a 360 and lands back in your mouth.

perhaps this thread should be moved to the secret sessions thread forum.
Lite Flite is great for an opening effect, and like stated above, you need some nerve or an extra strand, but is is very eerie and cool. :cool:
For the record, I've never had a problem with snapping an IT during Lite Flite.

The only time I ever had a problem was when I rode in a friend's car to a new venue (Halloween, of course), and had no opportunity to steal away and check it out before use.

I know that I brought it upon myself, but I do believe it's good to push the envelope on occasion.

But snapping during a performance with proper and sensible attention to the hookup? Not in my experience.
I would get Michael Ammar's Thread Miracles 3 because there's the Fearson Hook-up with other stuff!

Hope That Helps!

Adam
Hi guys, I just ordered and just waiting for my Ammar thread dvd. Am I going to learn to do the floating cig. from it? :magicrabbit: :righton:
Just got Area 51 - awesome. Have to say though, have a little trouble catching the cigarette in the mouth at the end, both with the rotation and the fact that I look like a goldfish!!! Anyone got any ideas?
The Ammar video uses the Fearon hookup, but uses a Life Saver instead of a cigarette. I think that makes for a 'neater' finale, myself (I'm going to use wax paper-wrapped humbugs myself). Also, he has a variation on the Fearson hookup for the follically challenged :D
Spatlind, I won't go into to much detail here of course but you can Email if you wish for a little more tips on that. For now I'll just say that it'll get a lot easier with practice. A couple of suggestions I can make is to make it move very slowly. Especially at first. Also, try and lean back at the last moment before it reaches your mouth. It'll cause the cig to move a little vertical to your mouth. But the biggest thing is just practice. Believe me, I've spent ours making those fish faces trying to suck it to my lips. End up walking around the room chasing it with my mouth.. lol

Maybe this will help. There's a short video of me performing the floating cig at magicvideodepot.com You'll be able to see what I mean by making it move slowly and smoothly. Sometimes visuals help so I just thought I'd mention that. Just go to the site and search "Floating cigarette" and you'll find it. The video was recorded by Sean Bogunia when we where both booked to perform at Greenbay Univ. a couple of years ago.

Ron Jaxon