(Close Window)
Topic: Alice in Wonderland
Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjMkNrX60mA

Best
Brandon
Looks very epic.
Though I'm a big Tim Burton and Johnny Depp fan, I know Alice and this is not Alice.
Well it can't be less faithful to Alice than is the charming Disney cartoon, could it?

John
Being somewhat pedestrian, I much prefer the Disney version.
I don't believe there really is a "faithful" adaptation of "Alice" as frankly the book is too British and too "literate." It's meant to be read, not watched.

I think John Carpenter did one where the entire plot was Alice's desire to go home. This wouldn't have been a problem, except she projected this desire onto everyone she met!

There was a television verison a few years back where the entire storyline was that Alice had to perform for her parent's friends and she didn't like the song they'd picked for her. The fact that the "friends" turned out to be human representations of everyone she'd met in Wonderland would have been a neat twist, but they exposed it during the opening credits!

And if you didn't like the Disney animated version, you'll HATE the Hanna Barbara version with Sammy Davis Jr. as the Cheshire Cat!
Hated it. Sammy was cool though. :)
Didn't say I hated it. But the spirit is far removed from the book. In the book, for example, the Mad Hatter is a very upsetting, deeply disturbed character. In the Disney movie, he's just a silly man.

John
A Tim Burton movie where the main character(s) are not dressed head to toe in black?
Looks like fun to me...
Me too. I'll go see it.
"I want my money back."

Just practicing.
I've been wondering when they would get around to this...

I'm also waiting for the next remake of The wizard of OZ in all its CGI glory.

V.
[quote]
On 2009-08-05 22:34, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Didn't say I hated it. But the spirit is far removed from the book. In the book, for example, the Mad Hatter is a very upsetting, deeply disturbed character. In the Disney movie, he's just a silly man.

John
[/quote]

I think Doug's "hated it" was for the Hanna-Barbara version with Sammy Davis Jr. as the Cat.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275070/

Prepare yourself for ultimate pain... well, maybe not as bad as "Wing Commander," but still pretty epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFSHggHZME
[quote]
On 2009-08-05 19:06, Doug Higley wrote:
Being somewhat pedestrian, I much prefer the Disney version.
[/quote]

Tim Burton's is also from Disney.
I like Cheshire Cat, and the White Rabbit...Depp as the Mad Hatter is acceptable.
On the contrary I can't stand the "bubble-head" Red Queen, and Tweedledum and Tweedledee...mmh...I suppose I love too much Tenniel's drawings of them to like this 'Uncle Fester' look.
I'm very curious about Chris Lee Jabberwock rendition !
Saw the rush in 3D - looked good. Not a Depp fan, but this may be one of his better efforts,,, I'm goin', anyone know when it is out?
Looks like it could be fun ... or really, really disturbing.

I remember an English film version from the late 1960s or early 70s. If memory serves, Peter Sellers played the March Hare and Dudley Moore played played the Dormouse. (Sellers probably should have played the Mad Hatter, though) Anyone else remember this?

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
[quote]
On 2009-08-16 10:52, jlibby wrote:
Looks like it could be fun ... or really, really disturbing.

I remember an English film version from the late 1960s or early 70s. If memory serves, Peter Sellers played the March Hare and Dudley Moore played played the Dormouse. (Sellers probably should have played the Mad Hatter, though) Anyone else remember this?

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
[/quote]
Yes, I remember it... Not bad, not bad.
I found that Peter Sellers played also the King of Hearts in the Jonathan Miller version, but I never saw it.
I just read a description of the Miller film; interestingly, Moore played the Dormouse in that film too! Peter Cook played the Mad Hatter.
According to the description on IMDB, this new film is apparently intended to be sequel to the original story.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX