(Close Window)
Topic: Engraved Silver Sherwood Cup Care
Hi All.

Is there any particular silver polish you'd recommend for engraved Sherwoods? I've been using Tarnishield, but I can't say it really keeps the tarnish away.

thanks,

- Frank
In the jewelry dept. of any store, you will find a silver polishing cloth. It is chemically treated for silver. One side cleans, the other side polishes. It works beautifully on mine.
Hagerty's is good.
[quote]
On 2009-08-04 23:37, Frank L. wrote:
Hi All.

Is there any particular silver polish you'd recommend for engraved Sherwoods? I've been using Tarnishield, but I can't say it really keeps the tarnish away.

thanks,

- Frank
[/quote]

Frank,

Send them to me and I'll keep them polished. No problem. after all, what are friends for?

Mike
Wright's Silver Cream. EZ on them and EZ to use.
Wright's is also good. If you want to really protect them, apply some Renaissance wax. It's expensive, but so are those cups. Museums use this to protect their better goodies.
Whatever you use, make sure it's not Silvo. Way too strong! Wright's cream is good, as is Hagerty. In a pinch you can also use regular toothpaste as a good cleaner for silver (no kidding)....speaking of which, ketchup is also good for copper.

Fortasse
Will Ketchup remove the copper patina?
Yes, it's the vinegar and salt combination - it will remove the tarnish (patina) from copper.
Tabasco sauce is also a good brass or copper cleaner. Same reason.
Store them where air can't get to them and you will greatly reduce the rate of tarnish. Did they come in a tarnish resistant cloth bag? You might consider something like these: http://www.silvergiftstore.com/silverkeepers.html

Don't clean them with anything too agressive. Stick w/ an established brand like Wright's to protect your investment. Most people wouldn't want to remove the tarnish in the nooks and cranies -- just on the flat surfaces. That silver/dark contrast is what gives fine silver its old world patina.
Thanks, all.

There seems to be several products under the Hagerty brand. Is there a specific one that's recommended?

Also, is the Renaissance wax commonly sold in stores, or is that something I'm going to have to find online?

- Frank
Frank I get Wrights Silver cream at my grocery store, they stock both the Wright's silver and the copper creams for the home kitchen and I find Hagerty polish at my hardware store. Can't help you with the wax, I never use it.