(Close Window)
Topic: Bored, where is Magicsanta?
Yo bro!

Slap some abuse my way, I'm bored at work and need something to occupy me!

Peace & Love

M
Sorry I bore you, buddy.

I like Santa too, but when he ain't in the bar I don't get weepy and stuff. I just spend time with the others and make out the best I can.

But don't expect me to abuse you. I spend so much time abusing myself that I hardly have enough abuse left for others.
*** it, I need some abuse!!!

Cant you just insult me a little???

Peace & Love

M
Not like Santa can, no.

He has talents, you know? Usually people pay for such talents. If you want his abuse for free, you have to wait in line and get it when he offers it.
I suppose ure right. Maybe if I post something that he can disprove he might pop up.

Ahem

Cinderella's slippers were made from Squirrel hair....

Peace & Love

M
Um, in the original German version, that was true.
[quote]
On 2009-08-10 11:56, stoneunhinged wrote:
Sorry I bore you, buddy.

I like Santa too, but when he ain't in the bar I don't get weepy and stuff. I just spend time with the others and make out the best I can.

But don't expect me to abuse you. I spend so much time abusing myself that I hardly have enough abuse left for others.
[/quote]

Who do you make out with when Satan isn't around? (That typo is sticking...)
Yeah, who you make out with when I'm not around? Wait a minute....
Oh...about the slippers. There is no proof that there was a translation error and thus changing the word for fur to glass. A little research will show you that, indeed, the word used in the German version (which was the basis of the popular story yet far from the original) was intended to be glass. Basically the idea of them being fur slippers in the story has been put to rest by most except those who like 'interesting' tid bits. My final proof that the word translated into 'glass' is that Matthew believes it to be fur and as he has proven himself incapable of being correct he thus is wrong.
Ahhhhhhh

I feel much better now!

Ok what about your opinion on Area 51. Dreamland. Groom Lake whatever you wanna call it.

Aliens? Military Air Craft?

Im putting my money on the latter.

Peace and love

M
Squirrel fur? I'd always heard that her slippers may have been green, not glass in some older versions of the story. This would be a slide from the French [i]vert[/i]=green to [i]verre[/i]=glass.

As Santa points out, the story had many versions spread across Europe, and perhaps into the Middle East and Asia; the "original" is lost in the mists of time.

Can someone explain the "squirrel fur" business?

John
I just read somewhere that the original version had squirrell fur instead of glass. cant remember what book it was now.

Peace & Love

M
I think, though I'm often wrong, that I read the earliest known version is Egyptian and it was a golden slipper.
Oooh I havent heard that before!

Ill have to have a loosy into it!!

Peace & Love

M
I think its clear they test military aircraft at groomlake. don't get me started.... longest runway in the world, their own special terminal at L.V airport... crazy place, but if its so secret and we know all this stuff, you can bet there is a place like it that no one knows about (well, if you work there...)
Absolutely Aircraft. There is no question about that. The U2, 117, B2, SR70 etc all wrung out there. New hangers hint at something really big being tested...speculation is an inflatable Triangle. UFO's Not hardly.

They're at Wright Patterson. :)
[quote]
On 2009-08-11 11:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Can someone explain the "squirrel fur" business?

John
[/quote]

Thanks for not helping. Sheesh.

I looked it up. The oldest written French version by Charles Perrault dates to 1697. He very clearly wrote that Cinderella (Cendrillon) wore glass slippers (pantoufles de verre). The debate about whether he meant what he wrote (or whether he wrote what he misheard) has centred around the similar sounds of verre (glass), vert (green) and vair (fur).

Apparently none of this is conclusive. So I'll stick with Perrault's glass slippers.

John
I believe the sr71 was in operation for 12 years before the public ever saw a picture of it. The only time our gov ever actually admitted that we had a base there was when the families of several workers sued the government, back in the 90's
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0824092953/fictional100comA/

Here is a link to a book that "discusses" Cinderella's 9th Century origin in China where feet were bound to make them small and they wore fur slippers.

It is primarily for John. Interesting read if you have nothing else to do.
I believe Area 51 or whatever they call it is an Air Force Base with high security controls. I think a lot of it moved to Utah cuz of the heavy moron traffic in the region. I ran into a conspiracy buff once who brought up the base I was on (A submarine base that takes care of Trident boats and all that) which had rather extreme security because of what types of weapons we may or may not have had around. The only thing the guy had right was there were periods when you would be shot if you moved around at the wrong time outside (not unusual for submarine bases and subs themselves, they are one of the only places where the guards have loaded weapons in the Navy), everything else was nonsense. So I don't give much credit to those who claim aliens run around a base.
[quote]
On 2009-08-11 20:56, abc wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0824092953/fictional100comA/

Here is a link to a book that "discusses" Cinderella's 9th Century origin in China where feet were bound to make them small and they wore fur slippers.

It is primarily for John. Interesting read if you have nothing else to do.
[/quote]

Thanks. It's not in my public library, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

John
It is air force
The military doesn't like people on their bases who don't belong.
[quote]
On 2009-08-11 23:41, MagicSanta wrote:
The military doesn't like people on their bases who don't belong.
[/quote]

Heck, they hardly like the people on the base who are SUPPOSED to be there.
Hey Kid, I was talking to a friend of mines son who is riverine (SEAL platform mostly), you know, brown water dudes. He said that the Navy wants everyone to cross rate or get out before they hit E6. He is trying to switch to the SEALs right now because after doing three tours he would be bored just going blue water. The freakin' Army doesn't even want guys to jump to their side with his experience! I'm really saddened. Your situation with the Nav after you got your degree came to mind.
The Navy is going to shoot themselves in the foot one of these days. They want all these guys with experience to cross rate into a new job, at the same paygrade but without the experience. Doesn't make sense. They wouldn't let the corpsmen cross rate due to us being a "critical NEC" yet we were 120% manned. So to pick up E6 the average time in grade was 19 years, max out award points, etc. WTH? Who's the brain trust on this operation?
[quote]
On 2009-08-11 00:45, MagicSanta wrote:
Oh...about the slippers. There is no proof that there was a translation error and thus changing the word for fur to glass. A little research will show you that, indeed, the word used in the German version (which was the basis of the popular story yet far from the original) was intended to be glass. Basically the idea of them being fur slippers in the story has been put to rest by most except those who like 'interesting' tid bits. My final proof that the word translated into 'glass' is that Matthew believes it to be fur and as he has proven himself incapable of being correct he thus is wrong.
[/quote]

Aww, "urban myth." Too bad, I liked it. But I won't spread it any further.
Remember the statement used by much of the UK...."If Matt says go left, turn right".