(Close Window)
Topic: I'm NOT a bum
I'll spare you the whole story, but *** this is ****ing me off.

Tonight, I saw my regular customer, he was thrilled to see me and waved me over to his table. Before I start, some girl reached into her wallet for 2 dollars, gave them to me and tell me don't ever come back.
The rest of the table were laughing so I thought she was joking. So I playfully asked her name and let her know I would jot that down for future reference. But then I realize she wasn't a joking. She told me each person in the table is her family and if ever see them again, don't come near them.

I was ready to let her have it. But I kept my mouth shut, pulled out that meager 2 dollars, put it on the table and tell her to keep it. I let her know I don't take money if I haven't performed for you. I walked away and tried my hardest to not open my mouth.

Her boyfriend later came over to apologize for her. I told him "its ok, I'm not mad at you, its just that I'm not a bum. Don't throw money at me and tell me to go away"

I don't play that game son. If you gonna play that game, throw down a $50 then we'll talk. Just caz we are doing table side magic, it doesn't mean we are bums begging for money.

Later on her boyfriend went out for a smoke and she told him to stay near the window where she can see him. Some people just puzzles me.
Sounds like this girl is a nutjob. Plain and simple. She seems like the type to get off to making other people miserable. Her boyfriend will either not stick around or go through hell for the rest of his life.

I would have said, "keep the $2, you earned it through hard work standing on that corner." Just me... (not really, but that would be sweet)

I guess, "you couldn't pay me to stay away from you," would be more appropriate.
Easier said than done, but don't worry about it. It's obvious she embarrassed a lot of people that night. I'm sure it's not the first time she's done something similar to this, and I can assure you it won't be the last.

Besides, at least she told you to get away BEFORE you performed. :rotf:

Best.
Steve
Nash, I've seen you work and you perform with dignity. Don't let the imperceptive redefine you.... even though in this case it was your mom.
;-)

Best Regards,
Bruce
Im not a bum! didn't Gus Gorman say those very words in Superman III ? :lol:
Yes Bruce, too bad it was my mom. :)
And yes, dignity is important. If you don't respect yourself, no one will.

I hope this doesn't happen to any of you guys. And if it does, I hope you choose wisely between tip money and your respect.
Unless that money is you know, a $50 dollar bill :)
That's quiet the storry Nash, this is something I never could imagine happining.
I must congratulate you on keeping your composure tho, that would of been very difficult to do but shows the profssional in you.

Daren
Man, the come back lines for this chick could be priceless! "2 bucks?????, Tough night on the pole (corner, back, etc etc) huh"? I reckon there's a good reason I'm not worker! ;)
The real trick is definitely keeping your composure. I had a twenty something broad give me a similar response in almost the same situation without even the two bucks. I never wanted to punch someone in the mouth so bad in my life. To some people, magicians are either a bother or a threat. It's unfortunate, but something in their past must have made them this way.
Quite frankly, I consider something like that a challenge to change her/their mind about you and magic. I'll bet the reason that she was mad was because she thought you were ignoring them (?).

Whatever the reason, always take the high road. Everyone else in the restaurant will respect you for doing just that. Sounds like you handled it the best you could.
This may be too much, but I wonder what she would think if you took one of the dollars and changed it into a hundred, then said "Thanks very much!". I bet those with her would wish you would stick around!
Sammy
A couple weeks ago I had a rude situation similar to that. I had just finished performing at a table, everyone was having a lot of fun in that particular group. Wrapped everything up, thanked them, and walked on my merry way, I was walking past a table, did not even make eye contact with anyone, had not even stopped to ask them, and the dad says loudly "NO THANK YOU!" It felt very personal, but I kept my composure. I just turned around and looked at him puzzled, and then kept walking. Some people are just rude down to the core.
I can remember a similar situation that happened to me years ago. I was working a restaurant that I had be at for a few years. When I approached a two topper with a man and a woman having drinks before dinner. The gentleman was very receptive and it was obvious that he wanted to see some magic. However, his companion was having no part of it. She appeared to be a very unhappy person , rude and very much in need to possess every second of her dates attention. So I just thanked them for having dinner with us tonight and hoped that they would return soon.

I moved on to a table right next to these and began my show. I wanted to make sure that the guest at this table had a really good time. So I put everything I had into my performance and at the end I made the two little girls each a very elaborate balloon flower. Once I finished I thanked them and moved on. Well, after seeing the balloon flowers the very rude lady actually called me over to her table and asked if she could have one of those flowers like I had made for the two little girls at the table next to hers. I very politely said “no”.

That may not have been the correct way to handle things but it was oh so satisfying.
[quote]
On 2009-08-29 01:16, Nash wrote:
Just caz we are doing table side magic, it doesn't mean we are bums begging for money.
[/quote]

What?!! You mean this isn't the Table Beggers and Party Crashers Forum? Darn it, I've been on the wrong website all this time, and I didn't even know it! ;)
Things I might have said when she handed me the 2 dollars: "Thank you, I'll check on your order personally, you were having the "testicle salad," right?" or "Just 2 bucks? The other night you gave me a twenty & said I was the best you ever had!"

Then,when the guy came over to apologize I might of said something like: "Don't worry about it, could be a lot worse; I could be dating her!" But then I never knew when to keep my big mouth shut!
The woman from messge one is obviously a jerk, pure and simple, not much you can do about it. Admittedly odd behavior though.

-=tabman
Sir Richard - You're my hero.-& way to go ttorres.
Did you ever perform and then have a casual conversation with a customer and they say, That was great Magic, then ask "So what do you do for living?"

Well I,m a full time Magician

"No Really, What do you do for a living?"

Some people just cannot believe anyone can make a living performing Magic.
I always find 20 something women the worst. Although I've never had anything that full on, it is always the 20 something female who tries to turn the card, comment on how it was done, grab the equipment, etc.
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 04:13, The Big Q wrote:
I always find 20 something women the worst. Although I've never had anything that full on, it is always the 20 something female who tries to turn the card, comment on how it was done, grab the equipment, etc.
[/quote]

I think that WOMEN in general regardless of age tend to be this way.
[quote]
On 2009-08-29 16:35, MickeyPainless wrote:
Man, the come back lines for this chick could be priceless! "2 bucks?????, Tough night on the pole (corner, back, etc etc) huh"? I reckon there's a good reason I'm not worker! ;)
[/quote]

Also a prime example of why you are also not a comedian.
Women in their twenties have a thing against "friendly" men. It's instinctual. They cannot help it.

They mellow out by their mid-thirties
Teens of both ages are the worst. Anyone ever work a Bar Mitzva?
Young women tend are often too stupid to know a nice assertive guy, when they see one, so they tend to date jerks. Hence, the glass ceiling in society. I often date women in their twenties, so you can't cut them slack if you're going to enjoy your life.

I hope the guy had the guts to dump the woman! If he tolerated her for long, he's nothing but a doormat. If a woman that I was with ever did that, I'd let her have it! She'd be in for a swift, tongue lashing.

Sure, there are people in society who embarass those around them. We don't have to recognize any right, on their part, to exist that way.
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 12:05, Alan Munro wrote:
I often date women in their twenties, so you can't cut them slack if you're going to enjoy your life.
[/quote]

Just the other morning I was awoken to a 20 year old women banging on my door. I finally got up and let her out! Good times...
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 12:19, Christopher Lyle wrote:
[quote]
I often date women in their twenties, so you can't cut them slack if you're going to enjoy your life.
[/quote]

Just the other morning I was awoken to a 20 year old women banging on my door. I finally got up and let her out! Good times...
[/quote]
They can't figure out how to open a lock from the inside, unless they can do it with their Iphone. ;) When I was a kid, our dogs even knew how to open the door, to let themselves out!
Remember as performers, we are at a natural disadvantage here. We MUST be "friendly."

Super friendly

Sometimes annoyingly friendly

After a job, I immediately rid myself of all "friendliness" and get back to being the grump that I was born to be
Wow!! Women are great. What's the matter with you guys??? ;)

-=tabman
[quote]
Young women tend are often too stupid to know a nice assertive guy, when they see one, so they tend to date jerks...I often date women in their twenties...[/quote]

;)
[quote]
On 2009-08-29 13:49, Adam1975 wrote:
Im not a bum! didn't Gus Gorman say those very words in Superman III ? :lol:
[/quote]

Wow...good memory! :devilish:
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 10:26, Mark Ennis wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ouch, did someone else have a tough night on the pole? ;)

MMc
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 18:58, MickeyPainless wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

MMc
[/quote]

Oh, Mickey... I soooo hope I read that correctly!!! :rotf:
Why are we even entertaining "insulting come backs"? The guy would have lost his job. This girl was obviously high strung, defensive, and maybe even a touch psychotic. Insulting her back would have been the worst thing in the world.

Did you get paid that night?

Do you still work at the restaurant?

If you can answer "yes" to both of these questions, then it's her problem, not yours.

Actually it's her boyfriend's problem...poor guy's gotta put up with her night and day
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 19:11, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Why are we even entertaining "insulting come backs"?
[/quote]

Becauase we all need to VENT and their funny to read!

Christopher Lyle
KING of the Venters!
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 19:28, Christopher Lyle wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Christopher Lyle
KING of the Venters!
[/quote]

Exactly. They're just for a laugh. Anyone who actually used one would certainly have a short lived career, at least at that venue.
Vernon,

I for one am only playin as I'm sure are some others! Levity cures many ails!

Michael,

That DOES look odd doesn't it! Oh well, not a worker, not a comedian and obviously a lousy comedy writer as well! ;)

MMc
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 21:56, Bryanpier wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 19:28, Christopher Lyle wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Christopher Lyle
KING of the Venters!
[/quote]

Exactly. They're just for a laugh. Anyone who actually used one would certainly have a short lived career, at least at that venue.
[/quote]
I don't know. I sometimes do insult humor and I get invited back. But, sometimes you have to say something in an offhanded way to keep one person from spoiling the atmosphere. I've certainly seen patrons who management would have ejected for ruining the dining experience for others.
One of the problems with forum communication is that inflection doesn't show through and even with the smileys what is intended as humor often comes across as rude or mean spirited!
I think there have been some pretty good comebacks here. Although we wouldn't actually use them on the customers, they are still great. Keep them coming. We do need times, and places to vent every now and then.
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 18:58, MickeyPainless wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Well played !! ;)

[/quote]

MMc
[/quote]

Well played !!
[quote]
On 2009-08-30 22:13, MickeyPainless wrote:
Michael,

That DOES look odd doesn't it! Oh well, not a worker, not a comedian and obviously a lousy comedy writer as well! ;)
[/quote]

It was a perfect play on words with a very funny double entendre. That's comedy writing worth paying for!!

[quote]
[/quote]

This is our way of being the Monday morning quarterbacks. Would we actually use these comebacks. Most us of, probably not. But, there is comfort to be found among friends, in these “what if” scenarios. Lighten up. You’re sucking the joy out of the room.
This is stupid.

Of course, I am NOT a bum.

I HAVE a bum, therefore I am.
Kill 'em with kindness, Nash - you'll rest easy at night that way.
Nash, you should have given the money back & said-

I don't feel right taking your entire months pay.

or

Isn't this the same 2 dollars I gave you at the freeway off ramp where you were holding up a cardboard sign?

;)

People can simply be rude sometimes, I experienced a bit of weirdness performing yesterday at an outdoor concert. I just moved on & didn't give it too much thought.

Mike

Mike
[quote]
On 2009-08-31 13:10, Michael Peterson wrote:...I experienced a bit of weirdness performing yesterday at an outdoor concert. ...[/quote]

Weird vibes, I noticed that yesterday myself. I wonder what was up???

-=tabman
Its a night out for you mate,but a night off for your family....

Save your breath for your inflatable girl friend....

Men like him don’t grow on trees — they swing from them.....

Just because you have one, doesn’t mean you have to be one....

Come to see me again when you have less time.....

I saw a loaf of bread today that made me think of you,but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut' ........

He dosent have to worry about identity theft ,cause no one wants to be him....

There you go,all tried and personally tested,all the tools you need to make the twats curl up and die!! :lol:
This thread cracks me up...good advice, I agree with everyone
[quote]
On 2009-08-31 00:01, greatscott wrote:
I think there have been some pretty good comebacks here. Although we wouldn't actually use them on the customers, they are still great. Keep them coming. We do need times, and places to vent every now and then.
[/quote]
True, we need to vent. It's impossible to read the offender's body language through a description, and that has a huge bearing on how we handle the situation.
You guys are too funny.
I'm cool, I forgot to mention that the same night, at the table adjacent to them the customers dropped me a $20 tip so it all balances out.

Gotta focus on the goods instead of the bads
[quote]
On 2009-08-31 16:38, Nash wrote:
You guys are too funny.
I'm cool, I forgot to mention that the same night, at the table adjacent to them the customers dropped me a $20 tip so it all balances out.

[/quote]

That's it right there !

:)

Mike
[quote]
On 2009-08-29 19:58, Brian Proctor wrote:
A couple weeks ago I had a rude situation similar to that. I had just finished performing at a table, everyone was having a lot of fun in that particular group. Wrapped everything up, thanked them, and walked on my merry way, I was walking past a table, did not even make eye contact with anyone, had not even stopped to ask them, and the dad says loudly "NO THANK YOU!" It felt very personal, but I kept my composure. I just turned around and looked at him puzzled, and then kept walking. Some people are just rude down to the core.
[/quote]

Granted, he was abrupt. But I don't think he was all that rude, at least he said NO THANK YOU! As opposed to the woman in the first story.
Some people just don't like magic. I know it's hard to understand, but it's true.
[quote]
On 2009-09-01 12:26, ed rhodes wrote:...Some people just don't like magic. I know it's hard to understand, but it's true.
[/quote]

True words but on the other hand, you never know what someone is going through. It might not have had anything to do with the magic or the magician.

When I was on the road our bus driver was the biggest a*hole I thought I had ever met so I decided to see if I could become friends with him and would ride shotgun late at night and talk. I discovered that he was in incredible pain all the time and had to work to support his family. He wasn't trying to be mean, it was the pain from a failed back operation. He had pain meds but they knocked him out so he couldn't drive and use. That changed my attitude about rude people and a*holes. You just never know what the other person is dealing with.

Of course, some folks are just a*holes plain and simple and theres nothing you can do about that but be glad you aren't one.

-=tabman
When I was the entertainment director of the Texas Renaissance Festival, I was often asked about handling hecklers. In my handbook, I had written the following:

"Get a copy of [i]2002 Insults[/i]. Read it from cover to cover, and find three or four insults you really like. Memorize them. When someone begins to heckle you or give you any kind of hard time, look him straight in the eye, smile, and [b]think[/b] one of them at him, as loud as you can.

"The audience will understand. They will admire your restraint. The heckler might understand. And you will have the pride of realizing that you could have made him feel like the idiot he actually is. If he continues, after you have given him two or three chances, once the rest of the audience is on your side, go in for a clean, swift, surgical strike. But do this only if the audience is on your side."

These forums serve the same purpose as thinking a heckle-stopper at the insulting party. It makes you feel good to know that you could have really graved the heckler, but you still have your job.
I like the turning the bill into a hundred idea.

Also: tear off the corner, give her the "Receipt" and leave your set-up lemon and a knife at the table. Walk away and wait for it...

Side note: the average 20-something female (especially attractive ones) gets hit on at least multiple times a day, over a thousand times a year. Hence, they develop the b**** mode to ward off us friendly dudes.

Thank god I'm cute.
[quote]
On 2009-08-31 16:38, Nash wrote:
You guys are too funny.

[/quote]
I hope that you flaunted it, just a little. ;)

[quote]
On 2009-09-01 15:58, Terry Veckey wrote:
Offer to teach them the "JWG handcuff and rope tie escape".
It's a great reputation maker.
[/quote]
JWG? I hope that isn't meant as the initials of a certain psychopath. That's just bad!
How about when you handed her the two dollars back you could have said:

"OK, have a nice dinner. I'll just leave this here (set the two dollars back on the table) for your ill-fated waitress as an extra tip since she doesn't have the ability to walk away. She's forced to take orders from you."

<<very therapeutic>>

:pepper:
Wow. Though I'm a bot confused. Was she at the same table as the regular you were walking over too?

If so, the obvious solution would be to turn to them and say, "I'm sorry, I'm here to see (insert regulars name, or just address them)"

Of course, if they were not the same table, well, you could just turn to someone else at the same table and re-introduce yourself to them, perhaps indicating in some way you are waiting to see how much they will pay you to not perform.

OR, say to her "I'm sorry, the restaurant already pays me to perform here, you do not need to pay me to not perform, but thank you for the offer." or some other remark that is polite, but also has some sort of under lying slap to her face that I am certain she would be oblivious to.

The whole "don't come near my family" thing is off putting. Perhaps she was religious and did not believe in magic for some "god" based reason. I would have been asking the rest of them if THEY would like to see you perform.
[quote]
On 2009-09-01 22:27, gdw wrote:
I would have been asking the rest of them if THEY would like to see you perform.
[/quote]

In this scenario, I think what the OP did was the most professional thing possible... basically, just walking away. Getting into fights with the customers could easily get you fired, and she isn't worth it.
On the serious side, I'm thinking that the lady at the table is one of those who "must be" the center of attention & didn't want to "share the spotlight" with anyone else. Also, obviously a "control" freak. Insulting her would not only do damage to the resturant that employs you, it might make the others at the table defensive towards you. I really believe that you did the right thing in walking away & not allowing yourself to become the same type of person that she was. I don't do these type of gigs, but when she handed me the two dollars I still might have gushed: "Oh boy! Two dollars! Now I can buy that Lexus! Just kidding! You keep it! You folks have a wonderful evening! I know I am!" then walk away! NEVER let anybody take control away from you, but remain a class act. I have an advantage in the fact that I'm partially deaf so I can always turn a "deaf ear" to people who insult me.

Sir Richard
Hi,

you should have said...'keep it and upgrade yourself to a new outfit'

that always gets a laugh.

regards,
geoff.
I Think I would have said something like...

'Miss you don't have to pay me for something
I'd love to do...'

Flash a big smile, turn your back on her and...
walk away.