(Close Window)
Topic: I am going to buy Jim Snacks
I am going to buy Success in Magic. Is it any good? Does anyone own it?
Keven,

Success in Magic is excellent! But then again, I'm biased...

Seriously, the answer really depends upon where you are on the magic path and what you are seeking. I wrote Success in Magic to help others get their magic business off the ground. It has just about everything you are going to need to know for the first five to ten years in the business. Lots of real life solutions to business problems from the perspective of someone who was a "200 miler," which is what most magicians are early in their career.

If you are still on the fence, I invite you to listen in on the free teleseminar on June 17th at 9:00 p.m. It should give you a good introduction to my books. You can sign up at http://www.success-in-magic.com/
There are only 30 slots, however, and they are filling fast, so don't wait to sign up.

If you have specific questions, send me an email or private message. I'll be happy to answer any question. Thanks for asking.
Yes, it is excellent well rounded book with tons of information.

My favorites in this line of internet books are in this order:
[list]
[*] #1. John Kaplan's Deluxe Edition ($350.00) [url=http://www.fundraisingmagic.com/upgrade/courseinfo.html][b]"The Complete System For Earning Up To $100,000 Or More Developing, Booking and Performing Fundraising Shows For Community Organizations"[/b][/url]

[*] #2 Eric Paul's ($97.00)[url=http://www.epmagic.com/magicians_only.html][b]"How to become the Area's Top Children Entertainer"[/b][/url] Really focuses on kid's birthday parties. If you are doing or planning to do Birthday Parties this is an excellent book.

[*] #3 Jim Snacks' ($99.00 e-books)[url=http://www.success-in-magic.com/course_info.htm][b]"VOLUME One: Success in Magic"[/b][/url] including an additional book [url=http://www.success-in-magic.com/one_page.htm][b]"VOLUME TWO: 64 NEWS Ways To Make Magic Pay"[/b][/url] These books are worthy of extensive study.
[/list]

If you're not planning to do major family illusion fundraising shows, then move to the kids' birthday party shows. If you are established in this area and want to expand, then Jim Snack's book helps you decide where to go, and how to plan to do it. It is also an idea book. It can give you some great ideas to build upon. If you like what you read on Snack's website then it is a worthy of a purchase.

I have not been disappointed in any of the above three books. If you are new to magic and want to go full time, Jim Snack's is an excellent place to start. His career ladder of choices really focuses on where to go and how to use it as a stepping stone.
I have been at magic full time as a hobby for the last year and now it's just time to do a show for $$$$$.

In 10 years I will be in Las Vegas.
Hi Kevin,

I have Eric Paul's and Jim Snack's books. Both are great. Based on your goal, I would get Jim's books. He does a great job of making you think about what you need to know to make a living as a magician.
For the same price, your choices are:
[list][b]
[*] Focus on the 100 pages related to Birthday Parties OR
[*] Focus on the complete spectrum of magic in 700 pages in two books plus bonus reports
[/b][/list]

Kevin,
Based on your experience and on your goal, Jim Snack's book is your best choice. He even set a workbook up and a career ladder so you can reach your goal.
Dennis,

Thanks for the positive feedback on Success in Magic. I tried to make the books broad in order to give the newcomer a clear vision of all the possible routes available for going pro.

As Helen Keller once said, "There is no royal road to the summit, each person must zig zag their own way."
I have them and I am reading them the third time. Everytime I read them again, I discover more information that I did not pick up the previous reading. Jim covers quite a bit and no matter which direction you intend to persue, you will find great information that will help you.

I love the books, and wonder where I would be now if only they were around when I started. Those wasted years could have been cut away.
I highly recommend Jim Snacks Success In Magic Books. I have a copy and it has given me tremendous guidance in the direction I want to take my career. And at 46 it is great to see there is still someplace to go.

Martin :pirate:
I would also like to mentiuon that Jim has been very generous with his time and posting at the Café. He has helped me and others on numerous occasions with ideas and thoughts. It is that type of generosity that I really do appreciate. Thanks Jim.

Kyle
Kyle,

It has been my pleasure. I've always believed that "all ships rise with the tide." If we can help others, we help ourselves.

Happy New Year to all.

Jim
I recently purchased Jim Snack's book (actually, "books") and I'm pleased.

These books are very thorough, starting from square one at goals and self-evaluation, then getting started, and offering ideas for self-promotion and possible venues to perform.

A particular bonus is Jim's offer of a personal consultation. How often have you read something and had questions, or thought, "yes, but I'm in such-and-such a place and my situation is different"? Jim's personal consultation was individual, specific, and very helpful.
I just was involved last night in Jim's teleconference on Fairs and festivals. He is such a generous man and so willing to share his wealth of information and knowledge to those who are serious enough to listen and take action. His material is so well worth it.

Kyle
I have a couple of questions.

How "transferable" is the material for use in the United Kingdom? I ask this as one who has spent a few ££/$$ on Dave Dee's materials as along with others.

Are there any UK users here?

How doesit compare to the marketing material that Dee produces?

I am working in the mentalist arena and want to get some bookings that actually pay.

Any suggestions/etc. gratefully appreicated.

Regards
Reuben Dunn
Be very careful about using Dave Dee's material in the UK.
It is very American and I don't think the cynical Brits will stand for it.
I might be wrong but I do know both cultures.
It might be interesting to hear of anyone in the UK who has tried the Dee approach and what results they got.
[quote]mentalmagic: How does it compare to the marketing material that Dee produces?[/quote]

Jim's style of marketing is different from Dave Dee's. (Let's not go down the road of bashing and defending Dave Dee all over again. It's tired!)

I'm sure that Jim will explain a little more when he pops back in, but his approach works well.

Did you notice that Jim has done teleconferences (now available as bonus audios with your purchase) on BOTH marketing for mentalists and getting started in tradeshows? It that what caught your eye about his product?

- Donald.
I bought Jim's Success In Magic and I LOVE IT!!!!

I began using what I learned from Jim and started seeing more sales the first week I tried his methods. I am now integrating Jim's and Kyle's info on Festival marketing and beginning my marketing in that area. I have no doubts about my success.

I can only say Thanks Jim, your method works, and it works very well.

Peter
I agree that Jim Snack's books will be very helpful to you. Like I learned in MBA school, successful marketing involves goal setting, organization and follow through, and taking action. Jim's course will help organize your goal of Vegas in ten years, and may even shave several years off because you can learn from the years of experience and advise in this book, plus get insight into the best path for you to attain your goal. I also feel his approach to making a name for yourself in the magic industry, or a local market, will translate to many different countries in the world. Many successful magicians throughout history have used similar techniques.
Message: Posted by: christopher carter (Jul 26, 2004 08:26PM)
I have been very impressed with Jim Snack's books. In my opinion they cover fundamentals and the strategies and approaches they contain will transfer well to many environments.

--Chris
I have both Jim's Success In Magic and material from Dave Dee and I am very pleased with all of it.

I currently live in the UK, but am about to moved back to Denmark. I have found no problems using the information given by either gentleman in the UK. Remember it is the strategies and ideas you use, and I think they are universal.

Lars
"I'm going to buy Jim Snacks"

I heard he likes twinkies...
Twinkies, no...Dove bars, yes!
I got laid off in August 2001 and made like $19,000 in my first year as a self-employed entertainer. So... First I bought Randy's "Millionaire Magician" in the Spring of 2002. Then I bought Dave Dee's "Mega Marketing" & "Ultimate Kick Butt" course. Then I bought Jim Snack's "Success In Magic" set.

Then I bought a house, my first, this past April. You do the math.

I still learn something new from each of these resources every time I read them, and I always learn something new from Jim's posts here on the Café, which I really appreciate.

You'll get out of the courses what you put into 'em, and all together they have enabled me to be the self-employed entertainer I always wanted to be.

Dove Bars help, too.
I heard Jim Snack also enjoys a fine Aston-Martin or two?

He has a very comprehensive course for the person that needs some clarity, focus, and a plan of action!
Rey REy,

The Aston Martin is a beautiful automobile, but unfortunately a little out of my price range. I would have to dramatically increase my fees to afford even one. I am, however, an Austin Healey enthusiast. It has classic sports car lines and beauty.

I have always appreciated classic, and that is true for magic as well. The routines I perform most frequently are Linking Rings, Egg Bag, Miser's Dream, Ambitious Card, and Card to Wallet. You just can't go wrong with the old tried and true.
Don't forget, there's the "Gomez" model of the John Astin - it gets great mileage, has classic lines (and a three-piece-suit) and loves when you speak French to it. It comes with an optional Lurch.