(Close Window)
Topic: Custom Puppet, Who has one?
I'm thinking of having a custom figure made with exclusive rights with me.
Who else has one and have you thought it was worth the money. I have a dozen or more Axtell puppets that I love, but they now seam to be on every childrens magicians web sites and I want something that is mine.
I'm thinking of a Darryl Worbey puppet, he made Sam for Paul Zerdin.
Any thoughts?
Having a custom figure would be a vent's dream...although it's free to dream, turning it to reality is expensive...but could very well be worth it. :)

I asked Steve Axtell to make a custom puppet for me...but the exclusive rights is very expensive which simply makes sense. You will be the only one who will have that design...a cast if any will be made just for you. :)

Go for it Colin...

I had a custom one of kind figure before made for me by my friend Ony...but I sold it. I kick my self on the butt everytime I remember how crazy I was to sell that figure.
Hi Colin

Darryl's wory is second to none. He has incredibly high standards, is a great designer as well as a maker (which is very important) and he's a great guy to deal with. He's currently doing a lot of work on a marionette show for myself and a friend.

Yes he made the two original Sam puppets (one normal, and one animatronic) about ten years ago, and Paul's still using them almost everyday, so a pretty good investment if you ask me. He also made Steven Hewlett's skunk, aand recently made two rabbit characters for friends of mine. As well as a portfolio including Basil Brush, the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and endless kids tv characters.

He's certainly not the cheapest maker in the country, but with this sort of think you really do get what you pay for.

Let us know what you decide.
You can't go wrong with Darryl's work. Beautiful designs. Ax
James, do you have any links to photos of the rabbits and skunk?
Im hopefuly going to see Darryl in a few weeks time. Then I have to work out how to budget for it!
Hi Colin

Hope these are of interest.

Rabbit #1 http://www.mrpunch.co.uk/

Rabbit #2 http://www.puppethire.com/rabbit2.htm

Skunk http://www.stevehewlettandfriends.co.uk/media/photos/steve-hewlett-comedy-ventriloquist-live-on-stage/?photo=5
Thanks James they are great.
Colin:

For something really different, you might consider Puppet by Cher. She made me a 6 foot long colon puppet (yes, you read that right) that is wonderful. She does not charge extra to make a design exclusive.

http://puppetsbycher.homestead.com/

Bob
Oh come on Bob - no pic of your colon? (Puppet that is...) I'd like to see that one.

I agree, Cher does wonderful work and stands behind her puppets. I have one of her creations that just wows the audience when I bring him out.
Tom
Tom. What do you have? Photos?
Colin,
I've got a Bigfoot type creature I call Sammy. You can see him on my site on the characters page. The link is in my signature below.

While he wasn't a custom, each of Cher's creations is unique - so he is a one-of-a-kind. I love the fact that the fur she used is so rich. It waves and flows with each subtle movement and adds extra life to the character.
Tom
I had Ivan Pavlov customize a sheep for me by adding glasses and high level pants for a nerd look.
I saw Darry Worbey this weekend. Wow what a talent! Realy got the old creative juices flowing. Now I just need the money to start flowing and we're off!
There is a photo on the Pavlov website of my customized sheep.
Also,
worth looking into is our very own Wanlu. I commisioned him to make a werewolf for me. Not only was it exactly what I wanted, his rates are more than resonable, and he is a great guy towirk with
I will be using his talents again very soon.
[quote]
On 2009-10-11 19:07, Slydini wrote:
Also,
worth looking into is our very own Wanlu. I commisioned him to make a werewolf for me. Not only was it exactly what I wanted, his rates are more than resonable, and he is a great guy towirk with
I will be using his talents again very soon.
[/quote]

Looking forward to your new order Slydini :) Thanks :)
I saw Darryl again this weekend and work is realy coming along. I will post pictures when he's finished.
I also got to see the new Basil Brush! every child's dream!
I just ordered a custom piece from Mary Ann Taylor (MAT Puppets). Hoping to have it by the start of my summer tour. The routine is based on already tested material so if it works out, I may include it on the VentHaven show Wednesday night.
My Dragon will also take over some old routines, that's why I got him, I knew I'd use him.
Wish I was going to ventHaven unfortunatly finances won't allow it.
[quote]
On 2010-03-24 12:43, tacrowl wrote:
I just ordered a custom piece from Mary Ann Taylor (MAT Puppets). Hoping to have it by the start of my summer tour. The routine is based on already tested material so if it works out, I may include it on the VentHaven show Wednesday night.
[/quote]

Will your new MAT be with you in Michigan end of June?
Depends on Mary Ann's schedule. If it is done, it will be there!
If this will count as a custom puppet...then I have one. :)

This is a Poyner Scotty turned into a girl upon my request...I think Kem liked the results so he is now offering the Scuddlebuds with hair :)

I wanted a figure who can be a younger brother of my Poyner (Nicolo) and Kem suggested Scotty...but I wanted it with hair so he made a Scotty with hair. I eventually asked Kem to turn it to a girl. :)

http://wanlu.net/angelina.jpg
Tom...I'm hoping to make it this year :bigsmile:
I didn't ask for either of these to be "exclusive."

I have a custom puppet made for me by Sonny Vegas. The workmanship is excellent and he was great to work with from beginning to end.

I also have a custom cable vent mask (no nose) made by Wanlu. Again, excellent craftsmanship and a pleasure to deal with. I deceided not to put this into my show so it's for sale if any one is interested.
Wanlu. Shame I can't make it, not unless I get some great gigs or a lottery win.It would be great to see you. Have fun.
[quote]
On 2010-03-25 12:52, Wanlu wrote:
Tom...I'm hoping to make it this year :bigsmile:
[/quote]

It would be great to finally meet you in person Wanlu!
At last. Introducing Sir Nigel of Trelawney.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ace-of-Diamonds-Magic-Company/410912112424?ref=ts
Nicely done!!!!!!
Beautiful Creation!!
What a wonderful puppet! Just fantastic, I especially love the colors.
I'd love a custom puppet. Henry Little is a Brose kit figure, built and painted by me and I slightly modified his features. So, in a way he's a customIZED puppet.
Congratulations, Colin! He looks great. I hope you have many, many years of enjoyment with him.

Bob
Superb, Colin!
Used S.N.o.T today in my hospital shows he went down great. I think I'm going to have fun with him!
Just received my new custom puppet from MAT. I had seen Mary Ann's work, but never actually held or worked with one. Not only is the puppet incredible visually, but the quality is the best I've ever seen. It feels and handles unlike anything else out there.

I highly recommend her work!
Tom
OK Tom,

show it off!!
Soon as I get a decent pic to share...
Okay Donald - its not the greatest pic, but it will give you a glimpse.

http://comedyventriloquist.blogspot.com/2010/06/ventriloquist-puppets-vs-characters.html
Congradulations, when are you passing out the cigars.
Very cute Tom!
Nice character and nice thoughts. I thought it would be an easy switch between dragons but SNoT has his own character and needs a full back story. I also need to write him a song, he loves to dance!
The idea for mine came from my Axtell Big Baby routine. (No longer on Youtube...) I liked the idea of an extremely adorable baby that suddenly spouted things that were very inappropriate, yet remained innocent.

At first I thought about Pavlov's Baby, but it has a bit of rascal in it's look. I also considered Wanlu's. I finally decided to take the idea to Mary Ann and she graciously agreed to do it and meet my deadline. I'm very happy with the puppet and using it has already added bits to the original routine.

Donald, I'll have a cigar for you at VentHaven...
I'm sure your wife appreciates the new baby without the pain that normally comes with it's arrival.

:)
Love the dragon Colin! He has a lot of personality. I'm sure he will be a huge hit with the kids. Tom, I've been using a baby character as part of my vent mask routine, I think the concept has a lot of mileage. Hope you enjoy your new puppet. I look forward to meeting you at Venthaven.
Look forward to meeting you too.
[quote]
On 2009-09-17 10:11, Bob Baker wrote:
Colin:

For something really different, you might consider Puppet by Cher. She made me a 6 foot long colon puppet (yes, you read that right) that is wonderful. She does not charge extra to make a design exclusive.

http://puppetsbycher.homestead.com/

Bob
[/quote]

Holy cow! That lady has the most awesome puppets I have ever seen! Jim Henson would be proud! I was AFRAID to look at the prices!
Hi, I'm new to the Café. My husband and I work with kids at church. He is an artist which helps with set building and he also makes his own one of a kind puppets. I came to see who uses custom puppets and apparently they are pretty popular with many out there. Since I am new here I don't know how much I'm allowed to share about our custom designs, but we are working on a web page and will make it our signature soon for anyone interested. I don't want to break any rules. :) Am I allowed to leave my email address to communicate with anyone interested?
Mary Ann Taylor has delightful puppets. I consulted with a lady that had just gotten one for her corporate presentations.

Jackie a couple of other resources besides this wonderful Café, check out

puppethub.com

and

Clinton Detweiller (of Maher fame) blog at

http://ventdj.blogspot.com/

You can see an example of my newest baby puppet...Baby Wah Wah
[quote]
On 2010-08-26 21:46, JackieMSmith wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the Café. My husband and I work with kids at church. He is an artist which helps with set building and he also makes his own one of a kind puppets. I came to see who uses custom puppets and apparently they are pretty popular with many out there. Since I am new here I don't know how much I'm allowed to share about our custom designs, but we are working on a web page and will make it our signature soon for anyone interested. I don't want to break any rules. :) Am I allowed to leave my email address to communicate with anyone interested?
[/quote]

As far as I know that is OK. I think folks do it all the time. Be blessed by the great PM system here.
At VentHaven, I had the chance to look at JET Puppets - the Dummy Shoppe. They were incredible creations. Since I have way too many figures, I had no way to justify getting one - until earlier this month. I added a routine that featured a puppet I owned, but it needed some modifications. Went to JET and she agreed to redesign the piece, keeping the essence of the original, yet making it over in her own style.

The process has been great. Her ideas took this puppet far beyond what I expected. Today I saw video and photos of the head. WOW! Can't wait to share this with everyone. Plus, working with them is incredible. I highly recommend their service and quality!
Tom
JET - truly, a creative craftswoman.
The puppet is finished and will soon be shipped. I wanted to share some pics.

The character was originally one of Wanlu's Aliens. The link below is a picture of my puppet being held by Neale Bacon at VentHaven.
http://kadoopsypuppets.multiply.com/photos/album/6/Alien#photo=12

I wanted some changes, and loved JET's work. I let Wanlu know that JET was recreating the alien and the link below is the new puppet:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=491501959257&set=a.468920719257.266092.356509174257

Complete with two blinking eyes.

JET took my ideas and I gave her a lot of freedom to add her own stylings. I am thrilled with the results. Can't wait to actually play with the character.

Tom
You have to let your builder do their thing! Make sure you love the work they do, don't expect it not to have their look.
The Alien looks fantastic, need a few visits to the Gym!
Love your new alien Tom! I just got my new puppet made by JET. I LOVE her and have been very impressed with the ease of the blinking mechanism! JET was so much fun to work with too!
Fabulous looking puppet, Tom. I'm eager to see what you do with him/her/it???

Bob
Glad you all like it. K.A.R.L. #2 will be part of my new ad-lib routine. I plan on bringing out the character and having the audience tell me its name, where it is from and what it is doing here. Almost a Who's Line Is It or Puppet Up style of presentation.
Just thinking about this one. Am I right in thinking you would have to have a voice in mind and design/dream the character from there? I have come up with a comedy voice based on a typical aussie drunk. I have only ever seen one figure that I thought this voice would have suited.

Where do people like dunham go to? For a hard figure any maker could modify a standard figure.

I guess any soft puppet maker could come up with an idea. I guess the difficult thing is to make the puppet so wildly different that people will really remember him/her eg Peanut.

I like the way that Walter has moving eyebrows and mouth only. I wonder if Jeff realised that moving eyes were not necessary, or if someone else pointed it out.

Regards

Carl
Carl,
Most people, when starting, tend to buy a figure or puppet they like, then try to create a character. Sometimes it works, most often it doesn't. It is usually best to create the character in your mind, develop the personality and voice, then try to find the right puppet to realize the creation. Sounds like you've done that with your Aussie character.

Peanut was designed by Jeff and made by Verna Finley. Verna has retired, Mary Ann Taylor has taken her place as one of the premier soft figure makers. JET is also rapidly gaining attention with a very well crafted puppet and a unique style.

As for Walter, well, there is a history behind him that you can find discussed on WorldVents. Jeff made Walter, and Achmed, and Bubba J... If you don't have those skills, there are figure makers out there that can help you realize your dream.

This thread is filled with "makers" who can create custom works for you. Take time to visit their web sites and look at what they do. As Colin said above - if you like their work, then you will be happy with the figure they create for you.

Tom
Hi All...I have all my puppets made by Mary Ann Taylor, after I work with Alex Howell to design them. Alex is a pro artist (formerly with Disney) and between us we make up the artwork, then Mary Ann makes the puppets to match. When someone gets one of my brochures or flyers the artwork and the puppets match up. This gives me original, custom puppets and, hopefully, a leg up on my competition. I always try to have original puppets...although I am very partial to my friend Steve Axtell's turkey. I personally think it's in how you use your puppets that makes it original.

Good discussion!

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Mark,

Was this how your duck character was created?

I have the beginner maher video and you use your duck and a Jack Coates figure. How did you come by the Coates figure?

It sounds a great idea to have a consultation with a graphic artist to create a new character. Do you give a history and background for the character to the artist?

Regards

Carl
Carl,

I did use an artist to help me visualize the puppets, even the duck. I told Alex Howell what I thought the puppets' character would be like, plus made a pencil sketch for him (I'm an amateur cartoonist). He would then make drawings and send them to me and we both made changes until we were both happy with it. He would then ink the final drawings for me. I then would send them to Mary Ann Taylor.

The Jack Coats figure was purchased from a guy who had him made by Jack but only used him one time. I bought this character for the unbelieveable price of $250. ! I've now turned down over $3,000. for him. This figure is what I had pictured in my mind as to what I wanted and I was lucky to actually be able to buy him and the character worked! I don't actively use him any more as he is more of a collector's item now, but it is a beautiful figure.

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
One thing to bear in mind when you are having a custom puppet made is what rights you have. A basic package might be theatrical rights , these alow you to perform with your character on stage or occasional TV slots.
If you want to recreate the immage of your puppet in books you will need to have thos erights as well.

Expect to pay a percenatge to the designer if you want to make 3D merchandise of your figure.

For most of us, theatrical rights are all we need and getting TV and merchandising right might be prohibitively expensive.
In 1979, I wrote Finis Robinson a letter and sent him a sketch of a man I doodled on several pieces of paper. The original intent was a variation of Alfred E. Neuman. I found out Finis had made a version of Alfred for a local teacher in Finis' area with MAD magazine's permission and the stipulation it not be used for any profit.

MAD's publisher wrote me back after an inquiry, and said "NO" in no uncertain terms that another Alfred could not be made. I adjusted my drawings and made some changes and Finis agreed to the work. (Finis did lower one eyebrow from the other, in a sneaky homage to my original Alfred drawing)

Over the years, some vents have attempted to burst my "custom Finis bubble", speculating Finis just adjusted a stock figure he had on hand, but after pouring over old Finis catalogs, and re-reading through our numerous correspondence back and forth through the construction process; I believe Finis was true to my drawings and provided me with a one of a kind figure.

In 30 years, I haven't seen a figure quite like Skyler Leglantier. He's an original and he's mine, all rights included.

Dave
Dave,

What size is your figure? He looks really big, particularly the head size.

Is he holding a copy of " I'm no dummy" too?(!)

Regards

Carl
I always try to buy all the rights to my puppets, and my good friend Mary Ann Taylor is very easy to work with. My advise...if you buy a stock puppet, check to see if you can buy the exclusive rights to it. That way you won't meet up with someone using the same character.

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Mark,

I had no idea that buying a puppet/figure was so complicated and legally binding!

It would never have occurred to me that you would have to buy the rights to a figure.

One thought, if you bought a puppet from someone like Dan Payes, who seems to make every figure different , would this still apply?

Regards

Carl
[quote]
On 2010-11-12 07:36, kidshowvent wrote:
My advise...if you buy a stock puppet, check to see if you can buy the exclusive rights to it. That way you won't meet up with someone using the same character.

Mark
[/quote]

This is an interesting idea. I have only one stock puppet, a Selberg "Granny," whom I've transformed with wardrobe, cat-eye glasses and attitude into Mrs. Lucille Goldman. I've seen pictures of another vent who uses a "Granny" done up as a madam. Interestingly, although the underlying puppet is the same, the characters look very different, and I hope no one would confuse them. (Of course, what is the chance a member of the public actually seeing performances by both me and the other guy???)

Still, while it would be nice to have an exclusive on Lucille, I don't think I could afford whatever Tim would ask.

Bob
I think if you are getting a more expensive figure, like a Selberg that you then get to dress the way you want him/her you are not going to bump into another one in your neighbourhood. But if you plan to be a worldwide TV star then maybe you need a custom figure, or at least a personal paint job.
If you are using and Axtell figure, great as they are, you are more likely to have competition. That's why I had the custom dragon built!
Carl,

I am currently having a custom figure being made by Dan Payne. I provided the design, and checked with him on the rights. He made it clear that I have full rights to the puppet.

[quote]
On 2010-11-12 13:22, Carl Mustaine wrote:
Mark,

I had no idea that buying a puppet/figure was so complicated and legally binding!

It would never have occurred to me that you would have to buy the rights to a figure.

One thought, if you bought a puppet from someone like Dan Payes, who seems to make every figure different , would this still apply?

Regards

Carl
[/quote]
Carl,

If you are having custom work done for a puppet it's good business to talk with the puppet / figure maker about securing the rights. It's good protection from someone who saw you work with the character and then would ask the figure maker to make one almost like it, if not the same thing. The amount you would pay varies with the maker, but it's worth asking. I paid $175. for all rights to a soft puppet, but I'm sure many others are much higher. Some puppet makers will give you the rights...it's not a big deal to some. It is definitely worth asking, especially if you are doing some extensive traveling where other performers may see your characters.

If you want to be original and unique, it's worth having custom puppets made and all rights in your possession. Buying a generic puppet will not provide you the rights as they mass produce them and many may have the exact same character as you. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. If not, go for the rights.

Also, sorry it took so long to reply..I ws out of town doing shows.

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
I think it depends on what the makers are used to making. If you always make one offs for individuals then maybe they are happy to give the rights away. My builder is used to making things for TV and did alots of work for the muppets and so has seen a lot of money being made from merchandise. So maybe that's why he adds a price for certain rights.

I love having a custom figure.
[quote]
On 2010-11-11 20:01, Carl Mustaine wrote:
Dave,

What size is your figure? He looks really big, particularly the head size.

Is he holding a copy of " I'm no dummy" too?(!)

Regards

Carl
[/quote]

Hi Carl,

Skyler is 38 inches. He may look bigger, because I'm hanging from a walking bridge over an alligator creek. He's holding a copy of "I'm No Dummy" because the photo was taken as an "assist" to promote the DVD on Facebook by fellow vents. Vents who purchased the video posted an unique photo of themselves holding the DVD.

I'm not sure if I would consider his head size larger than normal, it's what I'm used to. Although he has carved legs below the knee and he is quite heavy.

Finis equipped him with side-to-eyes, blinkers, winkers,(leather) raising eyebrows, upper lip sneer(leather) and a handshaker. The handshaker is the only feature I regret and Finis warned me at the time. He was right, but I was 17 and couldn't be persuaded not to add it.

Dave
Nina Conti just ordered an exclusive custom Granny puppet, she's thrilled with it. I'll post pics as soon as she sends them.

Here is a recent exclusive custom animatronic bear ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EjYQ2BQoAA

We have a page explaining our custom process here http://www.axtell.com/custom.html

Ax
[quote]
On 2010-11-29 11:17, axtell wrote:

Here is a recent exclusive custom animatronic bear ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EjYQ2BQoAA
Ax
[/quote]

Hi, Steve:

Clicking the animatronic bear link gives a message "This video is private." Is there an additional password necessary?

Thanks.

Bob
I recently had a custom body made for my Axtell "Vern" bird puppet by a local seamstress. I wasn't interested on using the bird arm illusion and had a different idea for the character and manipulation- so while the head is not custom the body is. I have also been successful in "operating" on a few soft figures so they meet my
needs for the character and my show.
I recently had a custom body made for my Axtell "Vern" bird puppet by a local seamstress. I wasn't interested on using the bird arm illusion and had a different idea for the character and manipulation- so while the head is not custom the body is. I have also been successful in "operating" on a few soft figures so they meet my
needs for the character and my show.
My main figure is for all intents and purposes a custom figure. I had a main figure in mind, how I wanted him to look, and my friend Rick Price made the the perfect figure to fit the part. I don't own the rights, but since Rick has sadly passed away....but even if he hadn't, I know he never would have made a duplicate for someone else.