(Close Window)
Topic: Ice McDonald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMftvGT0yU&feature=channel

Hello, peeps! I was wondering... Why exactly is Ice McDonald respected so much within the Dove industry? Watching the above act, some things seem a little amateur. Concepts are good... but I just feel the act looks a little rusty (just my opinion). Still, why is he so respected amongst the rest?
What are you judging him on?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I would have to ask the same question that Bob asked.
I think his performance is good. What, in your opinion, would have made a better performance?
Hi Kyle, :)

Actually, Ice used borrowed white doves for the above performance....his original act uses yellow doves as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gS4hA1RJuI

Perhaps you mean the way he moves, his charisma, the flow, the steal...........

But I respect him 'cause, correct me I am wrong, he is the first to use a long tail suit, his black ditch table & his style of bird cage.....in fact, I always think Jason Byrne was inspired by Ice McDonald 'cause Ice started out much earlier, & Jason's dress, props & cage looks alike to Ice...this is why I respected Ice 'cause he is the first to start this trend. :)

Ice also has a great idea of securing the wire/fishing loop with a device known as loop connect. I used several of this a few years back, and they can be purchased at http://www.dennymagic.com as well as his other dove products, e.g. his dove lecture notes, where he taught the double dove production without placing the knot in the mouth... He is a brilliant thinker. :)
Weird act...
Arnomagie, weird in what way?
Ice is a character performer. When he does his dove act, he is totally in the character. Offstage, he is a much different performer.

While I could never perform in his style, I certainly appreciate it. His techniques are much more than average. He knows how to sell the act and the productions to the audience.

As for using borrowed birds, this is going to be the norm for traveling acts. It is so expensive and hard to fly with birds that few guys are going it.

Richard
[quote]
On 2009-09-16 11:44, dove-boy wrote:
Hi Kyle, :)
But I respect him 'cause, correct me I am wrong, he is the first to use a long tail suit, his black ditch table & his style of bird cage.....in fact, I always think Jason Byrne was inspired by Ice McDonald 'cause Ice started out much earlier, & Jason's dress, props & cage looks alike to Ice...this is why I respected Ice 'cause he is the first to start this trend. :)
[/quote]

Boy, are you in the wrong century. Channing Pollack was the 1st famous magician to use the full formal tail with dove productions. Pollack was performing in the late 1950's to early 1960's when he quit and gave his suit to Hamilton, a cab driver in England.

I also thought that Byrne was influenced by Ice. Byrne's X-partner from his duo act was most likely an influence.
Hi Wmhegbli, :)

Think you mistaken. What I meant is Ice is the First to wear a Modern square & long tail (heard he got from an LA fashion tailor shop)...Not a regular traditional tail coat like Lance or Channing.

After seeing Ice with the long square tail (looks like Superman cloak), Jason Byrne is next with the similar outfit, & now is a trend with the modern magician.

Byrne's ex-partner from Double Vision is Greg Frewin. Even as a team, Byrne wear a regular tail & Greg stick to no tail...though the materials/routine now they performed....each took a bit from the old act, Double Vision, but Byrne outfit/table with the similar cage design/promo shot with the macaw perch on shoulder, in my view, was influenced by Ice. :)
Well, as mentioned, the act looks a little rusty. Even the productions and steals seem unnatural. And I feel the act doesn't have anything outstandingly unique about it. Besides the ice. I'm sayin' this based on just this one act. Character wise, I think it's a nice and interestin' character... how he blows to produce a dove... Still, I'm not wowed.
Kyle, Ice portrays a personality when performing. Personally, I prefer the more sophisticated act, like a Lance Burton. But if I look at what Ice is doing from the viewpoint of a spectator, I think some of the things are unique.

Most of us do some version of ribbons to dove or streamers to dove. As soon as we toss out the coil, I think the general audience knows there's going to be a dove production. Ice does a cut and restore rope effect and naturally gathers up the rope. I think that throws the audience off guard for an instant.

Ice is one of the few that does a dove split head on. Think about it. Most magician turn their body somewhat to get the second dove. Ice faces the audience and does the split.

I think, although overacted a bit, the dove from faucet pipe is unique. Because he has done a rope effect, and turned tissue paper into a drink, I don't think the audience is anticipating a dove production. Ice makes it look like the dove came out of that small tube.

I've seen Ice perform many times, and I think both of the videos referenced showed an act that was not up to par to his regular performances. He does telegraph his steals, and some are very obvious, which usually isn't the case when he performs.
I'll take it as just another bad night then... We all have those days, don't we...
I think I see what you are talking about, Kyle. The get-ready for the steal took a long time at 1:40. I do not know if it was a mistake, or if he plans it to be so long before he does the dove split. I would like to see it done quicker. Early before he put the paper in the glass, he was tearing away pieces of it. It did not look good to me. Showing his name two times makes it look like he is advertising during his act. It was a few more other things, too. But who knows, maybe it was for a reason.
Probably he was asked to fill in to kill time because someone else was behind schedule, so the crowd would not get restless. Maybe his other props got lost from his airplane ride, so he has to put together his act a little different last minute. Maybe it was his practice act. I can not really say because I was not there.
Mike, I kinda agree with you. It could have been a modified act. Come to think about it, I vaguely remember watching his act a long time ago... And I think it was much better.
Kyle!!!

I really think you need to stop thinking like a magician!!! Lay people eat his act up!!! It's not what other "magi" like, it's what the paying people want!!! And, sometimes magicians forget that!!

-k-
Kyle to Kyle, the moment we stop thinking like magicians, we stop growing as magicians. The comments made have nothing to do with fooling the audience. Ice McDonald does perform good magic. I'm just asking those that may feel it concerns them, why he's respected so much. Also, it's based on that under-rehearsed looking act. Copperfield may make a silk vanish, and you could do the same... In fact, maybe both of you use Vernet thumb T**S. Still, it's the better performed one that wins... Say he flashed... and a little bit of silk sticks out from under his 'skin', you win the battle of the silks... Get the point?!
This is a little off subject, but you say, "The moment we stop thinking, we stop growing?" I couldn't disagree more! I think if more magicians stop thinking like magicians, it would be amazing?

For example:

How many competition acts have you seen where they try to produce the most stuff and produce the biggest object at the end? Why?

-k-
...actually, Jason's table and costume came from Brett Daniels, and that jacket was first worn by Michael Giles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but who really cares?

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:22pm
PS Ice is a nice guy, and I was the first to wear green socks.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:24pm

PPS....

Kyle and Kyle...buy Rudy Coby's lecture notes, the Fitzgee Trilogy, and 5 Points in Magic...read them 5 times over, then read them 10 more times, and come back and let's talk...
This is exactly why I will never post on YouTube.

I have never had a perfect show. There is always something that could be a little different or better.

The last thing I need is guys sitting at a computer tearing apart my act and experience and taking the best of what I do. NO THANKS.

I like to see some of these guys posting do the kind of shows and venues that Ice has done.

Can you say "unprofessional"?

Richard
Sometimes the most technically creative people are not the best performers, look at Steinmeyer. He's the most brilliant inventor of illusions in the world, but he is not a performer in any sense. Ice has developed a lot of technically creative ideas and, while I'm a little weirded out by his stance and way he's walking in the MOI clip, he's still a good performer. Perhaps, we're being too critical.
[quote]
On 2009-09-26 00:08, Alexo wrote:
Sometimes the most technically creative people are not the best performers, look at Steinmeyer. He's the most brilliant inventor of illusions in the world, but he is not a performer in any sense. Perhaps, we're being too critical.
[/quote]

Have you seen Jim Steinmeyer perform?

I attended his lecture at Abbott's Get-Together, and his presentation of his material was very entertaining. He also fooled everyone to the extent that he sold all of his lecture notes on his creations. He is a very good performer.
My mistake. The only footage I've seen of him performing was a light bulb cabinet. Maybe that wasn't his best night.
Hi Kyle :)

Ice Mcdonald will be in Singapore for the Singapore International Magic Festival this coming Dec for 2 weeks...we catch up with him together ok :)
Cool Man! If this is the same event, I'd be performing there as well!
Hey Dove-boy and Kyle - if you get the chance to see ICE in person, you will totally understand everything. *smile* You will understand his stage presence, and you will understand that what you see on stage is not the ICE you will personally meet. You will understand why he moves the way he does, and you will understand who he is and what he is presenting. There is more to it than meets the eye, trust me. You will also understand how a towering 6 foot + guy uses everything he has to present his objective...... If you get a chance to meet and talk with him, you will be surprised at what you learn and find out. That's all I will say, so I don't ruin your surprise. *smile*
His movements on stage, as mentioned, are there for a reason, but you have to see it in person to understand it. He eats up every inch of the performance area that he is given, and why not? I think also what some do not understand is that ICE is part of a different generation of magicians. Most posting on this thread, except for Dave and Bob (in a good way, fellas!! *haha*), are a different generation than ICE. He is matured enough to be your father. Just think about his presence, then at your age now...getting the picture......

-Alpha
People love to just type stuff out of their... you know where... I have Ice's lecture video. I thought it was great, and his performance was also great...
Anthony
Ice is a great guy, as well as a performer. Why must he be criticized for his act? It plays well with a lay audience, and that's all that really matters, isn't it?
I agree with Sperris's comment: "Who really cares?" Why is this even a discussion in the Café? Honestly, if you look at someone's act and are going to rip on it, do so to the performer and not on a forum. If you have any ideas for the act, jot them down and talk to Ice about them. Any Pro (like Ice) will at least listen to new and fresh ideas. If anything, this is a positive way to further the art that we all love so much. Just my 2 cents.

Jimmy
Jimmy,
Your points are very intelligent and well taken. I wish more would take your approach and attitude.

Don't knock the guys that are working.

Richard

BTW: Ice does a heck of an act. Not my style, but it a great act that works.
[quote]
On 2009-09-16 21:46, hugmagic wrote:
Ice is a character performer. When he does his dove act, he is totally in the character. Offstage, he is a much different performer.
[/quote]

TRUE! Even I think he have a style, a unique kind of presentation, plus some original ideas, and that's why he is respected in the arena... Also, he is a very nice guy, too!
Hansel!
Great point, Jimmy. More magicians ( but 90 percent are really just hobbyist that THINK they're magicians ) need to keep their comments about other acts to themselves. Ice is a great performer, and LAY AUDIENCES love him, and that's REALLY all that matters. I am a completely unknown magician to other magicians, but I do this full time and make 100% of my income off of lay people, as do most working pros. We, as a society of magicians, need to realize a style, character, or technique is different with each performer, because each person brings a different edginess or style with the way he/or she presents it. I love ideas and comments from other working pros, but it's the 10 - 15 yr old YouTubers that crack me up when they try and critique my act. NOW, that's starting to get old! lol
His is respected because he has traveled the world and performed for thousands of audiences and is loved by fans in, I am sure, the tens of thousands. Not to mention, he is a great guy and, over the years, has helps many other magicians to improve and, in the process, has pushed magic into a better place. He handles his business like a professional and treats his clients like a real magician should. I know that when people see him perform, they think they are lucky to have seen such a great living magician. You just can't teach that kind of reaction; you earn it from putting in the work, year after year...
[quote]
On 2009-09-24 22:20, sperris wrote:
...actually, Jason's table and costume came from Brett Daniels, and that jacket was first worn by Michael Giles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but who really cares?

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:22pm
PS Ice is a nice guy, and I was the first to wear green socks.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:24pm

PPS....

Kyle and Kyle...buy Rudy Coby's lecture notes, the Fitzgee Trilogy, and 5 Points in Magic...read them 5 times over, then read them 10 more times, and come back and let's talk...
[/quote]

What's the deal with you guys? Dan's right, who cares? You guys are talking trash just to hear yourselves! Next time you decide to judge an act, find out all you can and maybe even talk to the person. Then, you can make an educated call...
I heard that Ice has a fantastic lecture. Hope to catch it soon.
Ice will be at The Winter Carnival of Magic, which starts 3/4. Looking forward to seeing his performance live and talking to him.